10 replies to this topic

#1 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

So this is my third year playing FB...I'm in a 5x5 roto, auction, keeper league.  My first two years went swimmingly...started well, battled all year, finished top three.  Wow this is easy!

So here I am 2014 and my team which looks good on paper is riddled with massive under-performers.  The details are inconsequential, but let's just say I have a team of Edwin Encarnacion's right now at multiple positions.  

We're entering the 4th week, and I'm wondering do I sell high on a couple of the good one's (i.e. Adrian Gonzalez) and try to get some middle-to better performers to buoy my lineup, or do I assume that 75% of my squad is just starting slow and will round into form as the year continues?   Good lord my team is awful right now.

I know better than to panic and do something stupid, but the WW is thin and my options are basically wait-n-see or start crafting trades...something I have little experience in.
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#2 WillGumm

WillGumm

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Too early to panic.  All you can do is try and snipe guys off the WW before there's hype by reading as much as you can  and just wait through it.  It's like a head cold, you can do little things to make the suffering easier, but ultimately you just gotta let the thing run it's course.   As for trades,  you could email the league and let them know you're open to trade talk and see what kind of responses you get.  

good luck
12 Team Roto Dynasty 11 cats (Oreb, Dreb, TOs counted)

PG: Irving
SG: Hayward
SF: Giannis
PF: K. Love
C: M. Gasol
G/F: R. Sessions
F/C: D. Jordan
UTIL: Kanter
UTIL: J. Henson
UTIL: Mozgov

BN: K. Marshall, D. Carroll, J. Adrien, K. O'Quinn, A. Morrow, M. Barnes, K. Bazemore

#3 Matthias

Matthias

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

On June 1st, players will generally be whoever they will be over the whole season. Before that it's too early to tell.

For roto standings, there can still be movement. It depends what categories you're down in and how much. Things like Saves and Wins you can see more catch-up in. Things like Average, ERA, and WHIP are tougher.

In an auction keeper, I would wait until June or July to see where you stand. And if you're really out of it, start looking to next year. Trade away your best players for guys who are cheap to keep for 2015.

Edited by Matthias, 21 April 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#4 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

I play in H2H and I feel your pain about Edwin Encarnacion but for every Encarnacion they are a few hand full of studs that are also scuffling out of the gate. Most notably we look at Miguel Cabrera. Most of the time it's just a slow start and the law of averages will eventually take place. I have a feeling these guys start coming of there slumps some time around the start of May. Then when they do take off so will your team. Atleast I am in the same boat as you and that is what I keep telling myself from vast years of experiance.  I remember last year with Alfonso Soriano. He has a grand total of one homerun around Mid may and they he ended up with like 36 after that. I started the year 1-4-1 amd after the turn of June my players were playing to there potential and I finished in first. The key when your big boys are struggling is to work the wire and find the right balance to bouy yourself.

Edited by bigbluecrew56, 21 April 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#5 TribeFoo

TribeFoo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

This topic is reading exactly like the thoughts I was having last night. My team us underachieving so badly, I'm in 10th out of 12, and I just felt like selling my whole team for pennies and being done with it. All you can do is wait and hope the established players start to pick it up. It is still very early in the grand scheme of things, but it absolutely sucks getting off to a slow start and sliding down the standings to start the year,
12-team 5x5 weekly dynasty/contract league

C - Joe Mauer
1B - Lucas Duda
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Kyle Seager
SS - J.J. Hardy
LF - Alex Gordon
CF - Carlos Gomez
RF - Jose Bautista
UTIL - Corey Dickerson
BN - Chris Davis, J.D. Martinez, Kole Calhoun

SP - Madison Bumgarner, Jon Lester, Zack Wheeler, Drew Smyly, Willy Peralta, Tanner Roark
RP - Greg Holland
BN - Kevin Gausman, Tim Lincecum, Andrew Heaney, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Hellickson
DL - Jose Fernandez

#6 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Dont worry about where you are in the standings this early in a roto league.  Give it until Memorial Day at least before you consider options to shake your team up.  Trust your draft and the work you put in, especially if you have players that are right now underperforming to consistent numbers theyve always put up.

Remember that in April the weather sucks, all teams have juice to them because there is nobody "out if it", and developing teams arent considering calling up prospects yet.  By July, half the league has quit and is just going through the motions, pitchers are starting to get tired, the weather gets hot which is conducive to better hitting, and the cream starts rising to the top.

All it takes this early in the season is one or two good weeks from a couple players on your team to dramatically change the standings.  I went from 12th to 5th in my deep 14-team roto league in two weeks.  Stats are still fairly close together where a big week actually makes a difference.  Give things some time to shake out so you can actually pinpoint your weaknesses and improve on them.

Its hard - Ive been there before - but all you end up doing by shaking a struggling team up this early is sell low on quality players and then miss out on the correction.

Edited by JaNelson38, 21 April 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#7 dannyusf

dannyusf

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Early to panic, but the beauty about keeper leagues is that if you feel you got nothing to lose, then do a blockbuster trade. Four years ago my brother basically told all competing teams he would do 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 and pick anyone on his team except his studs. He ended up building a team around Kemp, Miggy, Fielder and Hanley.
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey
1B: Goldy!!!
2B: Pedroia
3B: Beltre
SS: Segura
OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco
UTL: Napoli
Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham
SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta
RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

If you have any questions you want to ask about your roster feel free to PM me.

#8 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Last year through Week 4 I was 8th out of 11.  I had a really good pitching staff, but had many underachievers on offense.  So I blew up my team, traded all my pitching to get better hitting and went into full on stream mode.  By Memorial Day I was in 2nd.  Spent most of the 2nd half in 1st. End of the year my constant rostering of 4.25 ERA pitchers and 1.35 WHIP's cracked and I ended up 3rd.  But I did salvage my season and made it interesting.  Sometimes you have to know your strengths and weaknesses and do whatever it takes to adjust.  Its always easier to find good pitching on the WW than it is consistent hitting.

#9 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostCmilne23, on 21 April 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Last year through Week 4 I was 8th out of 11.  I had a really good pitching staff, but had many underachievers on offense.  So I blew up my team, traded all my pitching to get better hitting and went into full on stream mode.  By Memorial Day I was in 2nd.  Spent most of the 2nd half in 1st. End of the year my constant rostering of 4.25 ERA pitchers and 1.35 WHIP's cracked and I ended up 3rd.  But I did salvage my season and made it interesting.  Sometimes you have to know your strengths and weaknesses and do whatever it takes to adjust. Its always easier to find good pitching on the WW than it is consistent hitting.

Yes.  Its hard to always keep that in mind but I do when making trades.  So many fantasy owners overpay for pitching.  If you're looking to make an early move, target a contending team that is still healthy but weak on pitching a quality SP for a quality bat.  Much more often than not the bat will outperform the pitcher from a fantasy standpoint the rest of the year.

#10 bradyp713

bradyp713

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Work th wire, stay patient, don't sit your studs, and you'll be okay.

#11 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

OK...man off the ledge, great feedback guys, much appreciated.
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users