26 replies to this topic

#1 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

The Packers led the NFL in use of "11" personnel last season.

Ben McAdoo, who was with the Pack from 2006-13, is now the Giants offensive coordinator. And given their lack of talent at the tight end spot, we can safely project him to bring a ton of those one running back, one tight end, three wideout sets to New York. It's fantastic news for Jerrel Jernigan, who is locked in as the No. 3 receiver behind Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle. Jernigan, capable of playing both inside and outside, was fantasy's No. 2 scorer over the final three weeks of last season

Giants GM Jerry Reese said at the Combine that Jerrel Jernigan finally started to live up to his draft status down the stretch of 2013.

Jernigan posted a 19-237-2 line over the final three games of 2013 and should see an expanded offensive role as the Giants' third receiver in 2014, especially with new OC Ben McAdoo likely to install several three wide receiver sets. He is a sleeper in redraft leagues and worth owning in all dynasty formats.

In a Friday radio interview, Giants coach Tom Coughlin suggested the light flipped on for Jerrel Jernigan in 2013.

Citing fumbles and injuries as the reasons Jernigan played sparingly in his first two NFL seasons, Coughlin said he "saw a different young man late in the season -- a very, very competitive guy." Jernigan's playing time spiked due to Victor Cruz's knee injury, and the slot receiver racked up six-plus catches in each of the Giants' final three games. With Hakeem Nicks likely to leave in free agency, Jernigan projects as New York's third receiver for 2014. The 24-year-old is worth owning in all Dynasty leagues.

if the giants do not draft a WR high in this draft, this guy should be tops on WR sleeper lists. very versatile player that played lights out at the end of 2013. loved this pick when they made it years ago, may pay off big time this year - especially with the new OC. Jernigan can line up all over the field.
  • J.T. Marlin likes this

#2 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'll buy that.

Especially if this reading about falling confidence in Randle is accurate:

Victor Cruz is the latest member of the Giants' organization to hint this offseason that the team isn't sold on Rueben Randle as its answer at X receiver.

GM Jerry Reese said at the Combine that the "jury is still out" on Randle, while ex-OC Kevin Gilbride stated in mid-April that the Giants need to "get somebody that's going to be productive for them as an outside receiver," which is Randle's position. "[A big-play receiver] is something we need in this offense to be successful," stated Cruz. Cruz suggested the Giants drafting Mike Evans. "If I had my choice, if I had my pick, I think I'd go receiver," said Cruz. "I think we should go receiver." Apr 25 - 2:57 PM

QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#3 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Sorry.
"Cobb lite" gave me the best laugh I have had in a while.
I am going out of my way to get Jernigan myself and do believe he will be more of a Jarret Boykiin lite.
I don't think they draft a reciever either. Randle may flop with the starting job but he is too good to be a reserve.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS, 26 April 2014 - 02:47 PM.

• buckeyestilidie likes this

14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr , Austin Davis
RB- Gio, Stacy, Bryce, Christine Michael, Stewart, Benny Cunningham, Marion Grice, Jonas Gray 
WR- Josh Gordon, Percy Harvin, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, Davante Adams,Justin Hunter, Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Corey Washington
TE- Gronk,Ladarius, Timothy Wright
K- Parkey
DT- Sen'Derrick Marks
DE- Jason Pierre-Paul
LB-Mosley, Kendricks, Whitehead
CB- Jimmy Smith
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, KHunter, Alonso, DWashington, Marquess Wilson, Greg Hardy
5 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks.

#4 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

nearly identical builds
nearly identical combines, with jernigan actually performing better in quite a few tests
identical skill sets/usage in college
new offense which will resemble the system cobb plays in
cobbs best season was under 1100 total yards with less than 1000 yards receiving (9 TDs, 1 return)
cruz, who will be drawing doubles/top corners all year, is the only legit competition for targets

i don't think it's that ridiculous of a possibility for jernigan to put up ~900 total yards and similar TD production as cobb's "stud" season. jernigan looks poised to be eli's new slot WR - a spot which has often led to fantasy production - in a system that will rely on more 3-5 step drops and capitalizing on receivers run-after-catch ability (which jernigan has quite a bit of)

given the uncertainty surround randle, nicks being in indy, cruz drawing the top corners/doubles, and this new offense meshing perfectly with a skill set like jernigan's ... sky is the limit this year.

http://www.giants.co...23-4c10ebf5b71d

his TD run vs washington is linked in that article.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, 27 April 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#5 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

i don't think it's that ridiculous of a possibility for jernigan to put up ~900 total yards and similar TD production as cobb's "stud" season. jernigan looks poised to be eli's new slot WR - a spot which has often led to fantasy production - in a system that will rely on more 3-5 step drops and capitalizing on receivers run-after-catch ability (which jernigan has quite a bit of)

Did I miss something? Did Cruz get cut, traded, injured or demoted to a different position?
Why would Jernigan be poised to kick Cruz out of the Slot position?
I do it for the likes...

#6 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

cruz has already said the new oc wants him lined up all over the field, and cruz himself wants to be more of a "home run hitter". he is not just a "slot WR", especially with nicks gone. the new system is completely different from the one they've been running for years ... cruz will be used much differently this year (and could/should have a career year)

this isn't about jernigan kicking cruz out of position ... it's an entirely new offense with different personnel. jernigan was hurt his rookie year and stuck behind cruz in gilbride's offense last year. this new system/passing game is literally the exact opposite of gilbride's in terms of scheme/personnel required to run it. this is now a fast paced offense, not 7 step drops and wait for the WR to make up his mind on 1/100 route adjustments he's responsible for. add up this new system, nicks leaving, lack of established TE, randle's question marks, and jernigan's own play when finally given a chance - and you have a name worth monitoring.

#7 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

cruz has already said the new oc wants him lined up all over the field, and cruz himself wants to be more of a "home run hitter". he is not just a "slot WR", especially with nicks gone. the new system is completely different from the one they've been running for years ... cruz will be used much differently this year (and could/should have a career year)

this isn't about jernigan kicking cruz out of position ... it's an entirely new offense with different personnel. jernigan was hurt his rookie year and stuck behind cruz in gilbride's offense last year. this new system/passing game is literally the exact opposite of gilbride's in terms of scheme/personnel required to run it. this is now a fast paced offense, not 7 step drops and wait for the WR to make up his mind on 1/100 route adjustments he's responsible for. add up this new system, nicks leaving, lack of established TE, randle's question marks, and jernigan's own play when finally given a chance - and you have a name worth monitoring.

I could be wrong, and I guess time will tell, but lineing up 'all over the field' does not require you to change the position you play. Slot receivers naturally line up all over the field. Cobb lines up all over the field, but that doesn't make him an outside receiver and it doesn't mean another slot WR comes onto the field when it happens. Cruz will still dominate the routes run from the slot. Your statement, which I bolded, is that you think Jernigan is poised to be Eli's new slot WR. I disagree. I'm not saying that he can't produce in another role, or that he'll never run from the slot, just that I think your statement is very misleading based on the current knowledge available to us.
I do it for the likes...

#8 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Also, Cruz believes the Giants should go after an outside wide receiver. If they go after someone, this Jernigan fellow may not be so valuable.

http://www.nfl.com/n...utside-receiver

#9 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Also, Cruz believes the Giants should go after an outside wide receiver. If they go after someone, this Jernigan fellow may not be so valuable.

http://www.nfl.com/n...utside-receiver

hence the "if the giants do not draft..." in the first post.

and if they do, i still think it's more an indication randle is not in their long term plans. coughlin/reese/giants owner have all publicly praised jernigan ... randle has not made too many friends recently

“I’m not sure why it took us three years to find out Jerrel Jernigan could play,” Mara said Monday, according to Paul Schwartz of the New York Post. “Sometimes you have to put younger players in the game and give them a chance. It would have been nice for him to get in a little bit earlier. That’s not my decision.”

welp, the ceo/owner of the team likes 'em. gilbride "retired" shortly after.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, 27 April 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#10 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Based on some of the reports, it seems like they are not sold on Randle. I really thought that with Nicks gone it would be his year, and maybe it still proves to be the case, but Im a bit down on him given the reports out of camp.

I guess its wait and see if they draft a WR, but if they dont then it might be worth having a late round stab at Jernigan. Im sure his ADP will improve because I expect him to be on a few sleeper lists, but given he is going undrafted still in most mocks he would be a great pickup as things stand at the moment.

#11 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Assuming the NYG do not use a high draft pick on a WR, Jernigan makes for a great late rd pick. What if his last 3 weeks to the 2013 season were not a fluke? It's not going to cost you much at all to find out. You also have to factor in the addition of new OC Ben McAdoo from GB, the team that used the most 3 WR offensive sets in the NFL last season. Jernigan should have every opportunity to succeed this year.
  • mmrodri likes this

#12 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

I notice of all the new OC mcadoo is only talked about in giants related matters And hopes for him are pretty high.

#13 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

http://nypost.com/20...ion-for-giants/

from last year. he's a small school 3rd round pick that was drafted into a ridiculously complex offensive system [gilbride] on a team that unfortunately had Nicks and then Cruz explode out of nowhere. He was injured his rookie year which really slowed his progress, but the guys a great talent. I remember being really excited about this pick when they made it 3 years ago ... he's gonna have a legit chance to breakout in this new offense.

what has me most excited about the new OC is he's not just a new face, this passing game is going to be completely different and much more fast paced --- something anyone who knows a giants fan has heard us screaming for for years. i also fully expect them to address the OL in the 1st round with lewan or martin. it is a deep WR class so they probably will draft one, but again i think that has a lot more to do with questions about randle --- hence the "big body WR" comment made by cruz.

#14 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

i'm done after this [for a week or 2 maybe] i swear

those two plays show why i'm most excited about him this year. despite his smaller frame, he is a very tough runner and great after contact --- a skill set that this new offense will be taking full advantage of. no more 7 step drops with 100 different route adjustments for Eli and his WR to hope they are on the same page (refer to some of those horrible pick 6s he threw where randle isn't even looking for the ball).

#15 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

i'm done after this [for a week or 2 maybe] i swear

https://www.youtube....h?v=-IXUj6O2q54

those two plays show why i'm most excited about him this year. despite his smaller frame, he is a very tough runner and great after contact --- a skill set that this new offense will be taking full advantage of. no more 7 step drops with 100 different route adjustments for Eli and his WR to hope they are on the same page (refer to some of those horrible pick 6s he threw where randle isn't even looking for the ball).

No doubt whatsoever that OC Gilbride needed to go. I agree that the NYG will continue to upgrade their O-line early in the draft - keeping Eli upright obviously was off-season priority . The Giants offense should be much better this year.

#16 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Eli at QB is ho-hum though. He is not horrible but never lead the league in any major QB stat (except ints....twice).

Especially reg season.

2 SBs wins a titanic amount of good will though.

Anybody buying the downtrend of his career thing?

#17 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Eli at QB is ho-hum though. He is not horrible but never lead the league in any major QB stat (except ints....twice).

Especially reg season.

2 SBs wins a titanic amount of good will though.

Anybody buying the downtrend of his career thing?

not at all. the giants offense, top to bottom, was an absolute disgrace. remember how pathetic peyton looked in the superbowl? that's the kind of pressure eli was under on pretty much every snap. his OL was a joke, his receivers looked lost at times (partially on gilbride/coaching) and were dropping passes left and right when they actually were in the right spot. not to mention he had no TE to throw to --- myers was a bum who made his stats in garbage time in oakland, and they were signing RBs off the scrap heap.

no one, not even the almighty peyton manning, would have done well playing in the giants offense. and hate to beat a dead horse, but a lot of eli's turnovers were on gilbride and his receivers/backs screwing up. this offense is a lot more up tempo/quick passes ... i expect eli to thrive in this offense --- much like he generally does in the 2 minute/hurry up offense (which every single giants fan has been screaming for years about, finally changes have been made)

https://www.youtube....h?v=2tUsUoMIHZc

"oh my god duh face eli sucks bro so overrated look at all those INTs". its fun to hate on eli, but there's a lot more to judge a qb on than just stats. just look at the first 3 picks in that highlight video and you'll see what i'm talking about. half of those turnovers aren't even his fault in that video.

* i know the video isn't of last year, still illustrates what i'm saying.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, 29 April 2014 - 05:41 PM.

• mmrodri likes this

#18 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

The upside was fun while it lasted.

#19 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

'm looking for a rebound from the Giants, and I like Jernigan...
CGhost had some good points and forgot to mention the record number of injuries they had last year. Randle is in the doghouse (gonna be traded?), and rookie WRs
  • mmrodri likes this
10 team standard
Kaepernick Palmer
Lynch Morris Joique Hillman McKinnon
Dez Garcon Sanders Benjamin Gordon
Gronk Olsen
Kendricks Freeman Mosley
H Smith Burnett
Wilkerson

#20 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Grr... Phone KB
... And rookie WRs seems to take time to settle in. Looks like a nice opportunity for Jernigan.
10 team standard
Kaepernick Palmer
Lynch Morris Joique Hillman McKinnon
Dez Garcon Sanders Benjamin Gordon
Gronk Olsen
Kendricks Freeman Mosley
H Smith Burnett
Wilkerson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users