12 replies to this topic

#1 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Round 1 was epically fantastic (is that a phrase?  it is now)  3 series goes the distance, LA with a historic comeback, Stl-Chi was edge of seat excitement from puck drop to last goal.  Really not a stinker in the bunch -- Mtl and TB had some moments despite the sweep.

Don't know if this will produce to the same level though.   I think we'll get some quick series here.

I'll take Bos  in 5 (but I hope Mtl can pull the upset)

NYR in 6

Chi in 5

LA in 6  (who starts for Anaheim?  I think it should be Hiller)

#2 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Boston-Montreal going into OT. This is going to be a great series. I was hoping at the beginning of the playoffs that both these teams would eventually meet somewhere down the road, and my wish has been granted. I'm taking Boston in 6 here, but if Montreal can hold up physically against Boston, things could get interesting.

Pittsburgh-Rangers. Tough series. Lot of "ifs" for NYR though. I feel we can win, but Hank has to play great. He had some good games last series against Philly and some bad ones. We need him to be Lundqvist of 2011-2012, which I do think he is capable of. McDonagh also needs to play like the workhorse he was in the regular season. I still feel his shoulder is bothering him, but he did look better in Game 7. Staal playing the best hockey of his career is definitely helping, but if we can get McDonagh back to 100% both offensively and defensively, that would be a huge plus. He's our best d-man, and we need him to come up huge here as I'm assuming Vigneault will try to match up McDonagh-Girardi up against Crosby. Nash also needs to start burying the puck. He had chances last series, but failed to bury them. We need him to be our big time scorer here. I've liked what I've seen from him both in the physicality department and in the improvement in his defensive game, but we need him to score here. Lastly, the PP has got to better than it was last series. 3-29 is just unacceptable. That has to be better because frankly, when the opposing team kills our PP off with ease, it gives them a little momentum. I'm taking the Penguins in 6 here.

Chicago-Minnesota. Chicago had a real difficult battle last series against St. Louis, but downed one of the better teams in the West. Minnesota played a great series against Colorado, but I just feel they'll be over matched here. Chicago in 5.

Anaheim-LA. Can't believe LA came back from the 3-0 deficit. As gdon pointed out, who will Anaheim start in goal? Pretty big question mark there, and a big advantage to LA with Quick in net. I think LA will take care of the Ducks in 6 here.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894, 01 May 2014 - 09:33 PM.

Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#3 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Montreal takes it in 2OT. Boston had numerous chances to end it in the 1st OT, but Price came up huge.

#4 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

I think Montreal has one of the better chances to frustrate the Bruins and win that series. They are extremely deep and they have some really high quality physical players like Subban, Emellin and Moen, I think that puts them in a good spot to be able to physically compete with the Bruins. I think they could win that series in 6 or 7. The first game was awesome and a great start to round 2!

I think the Pens lose to the Rangers in 6 (hoping for a sweep though :lol: ), I just think Fleury is not very good and I think the Rangers are going to torch him.

Giant Wild homer so of course I think they'll win in probably 6, I think the Wild's depth is very underrated because people don't get a chance to see them very often and you immediately think of the high dollar veterans they've brought in. Coyle, Granlund, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Niederreiter are all quality young guys that have really been giant parts of the team and I think they get a bit overshadowed by the Parise, Suter, Pominville acquisitions. Pominville got cheapshotted at the end of the season last year and didn't play much in the series against the Hawks(I think he was in the last 2 games, maybe I'm remembering wrong) due to the concussion.

I've got the Kings in the last series in 5, I think Quick gets back to form and dominates and I just don't see whoever is in goal for the Ducks being able to get on that same level.

#5 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Another crazy Montreal-Boston game. Thought Montreal had it when they were up 3-1, but Boston stormed back for the 5-3 win. Big win for Boston there to avoid the 2-0 deficit. Each game looks like it's getting nastier and nastier out there.

#6 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostNYR Fan 116894, on 03 May 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Each game looks like it's getting nastier and nastier out there.
Did I miss some kind of announcement as to why no one is fighting this postseason? I never thought I'd see the day where there's more fights in the NBA's first round than the NHL's... :huh:

Personally, I'd rather they let them sort things out with a fight than have all this cheapshotting and looking for revenge I've been seeing.

#7 ForestCrunk

ForestCrunk

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

The Bruins/Red Wings games featured tons of fights but the red wings never had a shot. I don't think the players aren fighting just because they are so focused on getting their jobs done. The Penguins ability to move the puck gave them the advantage tonight.. not brute force. Great matchups!

0/4 on power plays in the first 2 periods really set the tone for the 3rd in Rangers/Pens.

#8 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 04 May 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Did I miss some kind of announcement as to why no one is fighting this postseason? I never thought I'd see the day where there's more fights in the NBA's first round than the NHL's... :huh:

There is rarely fights in the playoffs.  Too much at stake to risk injury and taking extra penalties.  This is a long grind and forcing your bench to go a player short for 5 to 15 minutes doesn't sit well with coaches.  

Montreal I think blew their chance this weekend.  Needed that win.  Boston showed why they were the best in the East and could be tough from here on out.  You get 3 against Rask you better win.

#9 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

View Postgdon, on 05 May 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

View PostSurlyRobot, on 04 May 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

There is rarely fights in the playoffs.  Too much at stake to risk injury and taking extra penalties.  This is a long grind and forcing your bench to go a player short for 5 to 15 minutes doesn't sit well with coaches.  

Montreal I think blew their chance this weekend.  Needed that win.  Boston showed why they were the best in the East and could be tough from here on out.  You get 3 against Rask you better win.
I'm from the school of thought that allowing the opposing team to continuously take cheap shots on your team has a higher risk of resulting in an injury than fighting them. The Wild are lucky there haven't been any serious injuries yet but the Blackhawks are taking every little cheap shot they can and sooner or later its going to end in someone getting hurt. I thought for sure last night Suter's arm was going to be broken or at least his elbow dislocated with the way Hossa grabbed it and did like a WWF bulldog maneuver and when Suter got up and it was just hanging there that was pretty scary as a Wild fan. In game 2 Nick Leddy heard Heatley coming up behind him and threw an elbow into the face/throat area of Heatley, while injuring him would probably benefit the Wild, it still seemed like something that was worth throwing a few punches over(considering this was not the first time Leddy, who is like 20 or younger, has taken swings at people for no apparent reason). Last series Landeskog looked like he was trying to hurt people for almost the entire series, a couple punches to his face would have probably taken care of that and he could have gone back to playing like normal.

The problem with almost no one fighting is then the finesse players start thinking they're Sean Avery and they start throwing cross checks and elbowing and they have no fear of repercussions.

Another thing, what's with the refs calling after the fact penalties when they didn't actually see the alleged infractions? I saw in the Penguins game the other day someone got high sticked in the face and they called the penalty once they saw the guy down on the ice not moving, like 10 seconds after the incident happened. It also happened in the Ducks' last series, one of the guys on the Ducks threw a nasty spear to the midsection of Benn on the Stars and it was a 2 minute penalty because he got up right away, then the next night a Stars player's stick brushed against Perry as they skated past each other and he dropped to the ice like he was shot and curled up in the fetal position and pretended like he was in pain. The ref saw nothing other than Perry curled up in a ball and just jumped to the conclusion that something awful had happened and gave the guy a game misconduct. I think this is another facet that maybe fighting could help with. I don't think guys like Perry are going to play Italian soccer player if they know someone's going to come after them in retaliation(I think the NHL could help with this as well by suspending or at the very least fining guys like that who cheapen the games with underhanded play). They should also be fining/suspending these officials who honestly should not be trying to officiate hockey if they don't know the rules or can't pay attention, linesmen who don't know what offsides is, refs who don't understand how to make calls, not understanding icing or the hybrid icing rules, etc. Get these clowns out of there, its pathetic.

Also I want to point out that I've seen at least 4 other knee to knee hits like the one Cooke accidentally hit Barrie with and none of them have resulted in suspensions, because just like Cooke's hit, THEY WERE ACCIDENTS. The only difference is that none of the other hits have ended in someone getting hurt. Its just ridiculous to me that they cave to the pressure from the casual fans that had no idea that knee to knee hits were common occurrences when a hit gets sidestepped, and the NHL didn't want to bother explaining that so they just said "Screw it, 7 game suspension!" and caved to the casuals.

Edited by SurlyRobot, 07 May 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#10 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

ummm, yeah....  not much there I can comment on...  that's just.... Accident?  Really?   The first part of your rant is about Blackhawk cheap shots and yet Cooke was an accident?  hmmm...  not sure we are watching the same games.  As an impartial viewer, cheap shots are pretty much happening with every team.  (The hit on Ballard last night was a bad one.)  And in no way does a fight stop cheap shot artists like Cooke, Marchand, Shaw, and any other "player with grit" that every team wants but every other team hates.   They will always do what they do regardless of fighting.

#11 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

You must not have seen many of the playoff games this year then, I've seen at least 4 other accidental knee to knee hits none of which resulted in penalties, and I don't even get the channel the playoffs are on at my house. They were the exact same as Cooke's, guy goes in for a hit, person about to be hit sidesteps the check, both guys' knees collide. That's just part of a fast paced game where guys are allowed to check each other. Most of those knee to knee hits come from games where I don't care about either team.

In regards to the last half, I'm talking about guys like Landeskog, Leddy, Hossa, etc. Not pests/instigators/gritty guys, I'm talking about skill players who recognize there aren't going to be fights so they dirty up their game because they know they can get away with it, not actual fighters. You saw in the Boston game what the actual fighters are doing now, having splash fights from the bench.

Edited by SurlyRobot, 11 May 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#12 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

That was a terrible call on Kreider. How is that goaltender interference? Letang pushed him. Would have been a goal too. Officiating during these playoffs is just awful.

#13 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ducks got lit up last night. Yikes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users