14 replies to this topic

#1 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Not to sure about this guy. I mean, Rosenthal has only blown 1 save thus far, but the rest of the stats don't make me feel as cool as I used to having him on my roster. Walks kill. Anyway, Motte's velocity is back to 95-96 and that was on 5/5. His rehab has gone swimmingly thus far and if Siegrist or Martinez don't get in the way the job looks like his to lose. If the system fails that is. On a more separate and personal question to Cardinals fans out there, do they have a Motte's Brat's night at the ballpark?

#2 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

Motte says that he's purposely taken it slow, so that when he does come back, he's 100% ready to go.
Back to backs, up and downs in the bullpen, etc.

So, I believe that if Rosenthal is on the outs, Motte is the #1 choice to oust him.
Carlos and Siegrist haven't been amazing.

I'd personally like Rosenthal to go to the 8th if this keeps happening.
Either way, Motte's return is going to help all 3 of these guys as far as appearances go

#3 young dude

young dude

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:49 AM

Mod please update the thread title.. Looks just weird. But anyway I'd stash if I have room.
I HIR 100% with good quality. I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave. Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it. I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :) Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#4 Da.Giants.28

Da.Giants.28

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

He's days away from getting activated and returning to the Cards bullpen. He should be a setup-up man in the beginning, but with Rosenthal's awful ERA, how long will it take for Motte to get closing opportunities?

10-Team ESPN H2H Points $$$ League

JAY Z's My Agent (4-2) [4th Place]
QB: Rivers
RB: Forte/Miller
WR: Marshall/Holmes

TE: Harbor
FLEX: Randle

BN: Cutler/Mathews/McKinnon/Garçon/Cooks/Ertz

K: Catanzaro
D/ST: Bills

10-Team Yahoo! Pro50 H2H Points League

Mr. McGibblets (2-4) [6th Place]

QB: Luck

WR: Ju. Jones/Mi. Floyd/Holmes

RB: Foster/McKinnon

TE: Harbor

BN: Cutler/Randle/Cooks/McCoy/Mathews/Ertz

K: Dawson

D/ST: Chargers

#5 mtw02

mtw02

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

He's days away from getting activated and returning to the Cards bullpen. He should be a setup-up man in the beginning, but with Rosenthal's awful ERA, how long will it take for Motte to get closing opportunities?

Good question...curious what the Cards fans think of all this.

#6 Brol79

Brol79

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I honestly would not count on this guy. We've seen countless guys who are coming back from TJS and it just takes them a while to be the same.
12 team 5x5

C- Santana
1B- Laroche
2B- Kinsler
3B- Machado
SS- Desmond
OF- Jones, Harper, Betts
Util- Eaton, Yelich
BN- Trumbo, Garcia

SP- MadBum, Kluber, Cobb, A. Wood, Arrieta, Cashner, Santiago, Elias
RP- Rondon, Petricka, Britton

#7 agk47

agk47

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

I honestly would not count on this guy. We've seen countless guys who are coming back from TJS and it just takes them a while to be the same.

Ya I just picked him up and locked him in for a few years in my keeper.

#8 GretzGretzky

GretzGretzky

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

No one's counting on him, they're stashing him on their DL and bench in case something happens.

NO RISK, possible reward.

Edited by GretzGretzky, 16 May 2014 - 10:48 PM.

• GoPack13 likes this

#9 GoPack13

GoPack13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

Yeah, my closer situation is pretty bleak so he's just a speculative add. Worst case scenario, we drop him for someone else. Best case, Rosenthal blows some saves and he we get a free closer. I doubt anyone's really holding their breath.

#10 agk47

agk47

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, my closer situation is pretty bleak so he's just a speculative add. Worst case scenario, we drop him for someone else. Best case, Rosenthal blows some saves and he we get a free closer. I doubt anyone's really holding their breath.

Rosenthal doesn't even have to blow saves. If motte shows he can return to form, and rosenthal keeps letting up runs, motte will become the closer quickly and suddenly.

• GoPack13 likes this

#11 hey_ahab

hey_ahab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Rosenthal doesn't even have to blow saves. If motte shows he can return to form, and rosenthal keeps letting up runs, motte will become the closer quickly and suddenly.

source?

#12 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

What, if anything, does Matheny using Rosenthal on 4 straight days and 5 of 6 mean about their plans with Motte?
  • Morat likes this
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior

#13 agk47

agk47

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

source?

Common sense.

#14 Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

What, if anything, does Matheny using Rosenthal on 4 straight days and 5 of 6 mean about their plans with Motte?

I wondered the same thing. It could mean that he has tons of faith in Rosenthal and sees Rosey as his closer barring a total meltdown. Or it could simply mean that the Cards have had a ton of save opportunities and Matheny is just an idiot for overusing Rosenthal. My guess is that he isn't even thinking about Motte since he's not around yet. Motte still has some checkpoints to pass before he's even ready to be put in the role. Until then, Rosenthal is his guy. Other ideas?

#15 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

I wondered the same thing. It could mean that he has tons of faith in Rosenthal and sees Rosey as his closer barring a total meltdown. Or it could simply mean that the Cards have had a ton of save opportunities and Matheny is just an idiot for overusing Rosenthal. My guess is that he isn't even thinking about Motte since he's not around yet. Motte still has some checkpoints to pass before he's even ready to be put in the role. Until then, Rosenthal is his guy. Other ideas?

An overly pessimistic Motte enthusiest might think their perspective is "If he's not dependable for 4 in a row, then he's not our guy" and that "...this was his last chance to prove he's the guy".
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users