Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Does Playing the Matchups/Benching Guys Actually Work? Or Just in Theory?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Playing the Matchups/Benching Guys Work? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Playing the Matchups/Benching Guys Work?

1. Yes -- Proven Results (19 votes [38.78%])

Percentage of vote: 38.78%

2. In Theory -- A Mix of Hits and Misses (30 votes [61.22%])

Percentage of vote: 61.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

This is a question I've pondered for a while, but I've never come out and just asked it in this fashion.

Does playing the matchups and benching guys actually work? Or does it just work in theory? For it to work, I would say the stats that you book from a player has to be better than that player's actual line. In frequenting these boards I these comments every day:

"D@mn, figures today is the day I sit him"

"On my bench, but the performance is encouraging"

It seems to me that people are making an even mix of good and bad decisions on daily sit/start decisions. And that's not a knock on them; that's just the nature of baseball.

Also, it appears that a lot of people just seem to be content to have a quality asset/player on their roster. Whether or not they actually accumulate high quality stats from the player seems to be secondary.

It's a tough question to prove with evidence either way since an end-of-season team log, i.e. the record of stats (hits and misses) accumulated from the players rostered during the year, would have to be furnished to make a good case. For me personally, I've evolved over the years into having a buy-the-end-of-season-line mentality.

Thoughts?

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 24 May 2014 - 10:24 AM.

• Rabbit Maranville likes this

#2 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Even if it is a mix of hits and misses, I think that overall, playing matchups will give you better results than not paying attention to them.

This isn't anything profound, but just a simple example to prove my point. If you have 3 lefty outfielders for 2 positions, if you sit the guy with the toughest matchup(i.e. the one facing a lefty or the one facing the toughest lefty) you will most certainly come out at the end of the season with 3 lines that are better than the players' actual stats.

I'm not speaking to BVP stuff because that is absolutely useless. I see people all the time on here saying something like "he was 4-6 against this guy in his career so I started him". Just don't look at that stuff.

In the end, you're always going to leave a HR or two on your bench. The key to playing matchups is being confident in your decisions. If you are, then even when Jedd Gyoko hits 2 HR off of Jose Fernandez for your bench, you can be comfortable knowing that that was the correct decision. I cannot stress enough how crucial this is to playing matchups. You have to be consistent in your process.
  • RotoGenius, BlueJaysIn2030 and ComericanPie like this
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior

#3 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

Also, an underrated and underutilized matchup is the FB hitter against the GB pitcher.
7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk

DL- Mark Prior

#4 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Of course. You have to remember to stick to the better match up though. It's tempting to ride the hot hand but odds are the good pitcher that guy is facing today is about to end his hot streak.

#5 RotoGenius

RotoGenius

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Rabbit makes a lot of good points, I don't think I'm going to break any new ground here.

I do think there's some value in bat vs pit but agree that'd it's very overrated. I like to avoid lefty vs lefty, pitchers' parks and ace righty vs a righty that I shuffle in and out. Again, nothing ground-breaking there. I also like when a hitter has a worse sp on his side, leading to higher scoring and sloppier games. A ton of other little factors as well.

It won't work every time, but will give an advantage if done smartly and consistently. And always start your studs, but be careful who you call a stud.

Edited by RotoGenius, 24 May 2014 - 11:14 AM.

• KBronx17 likes this

#6 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm wondering, are people even aware of which teams are good and which teams are bad offensively?

For example, 3 of the 5 teams in the dreaded AL East suck. I think people are starting to realize that the Yankees and Red Sox aren't tough this year.

Two, are people actively benching their pitchers against the teams like the Pirates and Brewers?

Posted Image

#7 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts
  • Interests:Her name is Melanie Iglesias, google is your friend.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Most shocking thing from that is the Pirates. And they are near the top in OBP, its not like the OPS is SLG driven.

I knew the Red Sox and Rays suck but didn't realize the Yankees were that mediocre.

Thought the Rangers an D backs were worse then they are.

Also some teams are way better vs RHP or vice versa. Dodgers for example are anemic vs lefties and crush RH.

Edited by Wombat, 19 June 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#8 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Most shocking thing from that is the Pirates. And they are near the top in OBP, its not like the OPS is SLG driven.

I knew the Red Sox and Rays suck but didn't realize the Yankees were that mediocre.

Thought the Rangers an D backs were worse then they are.

Also some teams are way better vs RHP or vice versa. Dodgers for example are anemic vs lefties and crush RH.

True, Yankees are good at home for example.

But that just makes them even more streamable against on the road.

#9 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Well Context is Ball Parks

Rockies have a .913 OPS at Coors. Next best in A's at .796. Give you a context about the merits of benching at Coors.

I do believe people here over-think themselves a lot of times. In a Roto innings cap. It does have merit to play the higher% plays for pitchers that are not apart of their "circle of trust". Even if percentages between most don't seem like "much" from an overall perspective.

Of course people often fail to evaluate K worth. In Roto innings Cap. I always start my high K/9 no matter what (well okay Coors gives me pause because of the repression of K's sometimes)
  • 96mnc and ipstaff like this

#10 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm wondering, are people even aware of which teams are good and which teams are bad offensively?

For example, 3 of the 5 teams in the dreaded AL East suck. I think people are starting to realize that the Yankees and Red Sox aren't tough this year.

Two, are people actively benching their pitchers against the teams like the Pirates and Brewers?

Posted Image

Great points about perception vs reality.

Additionally, I will typically look at these types of stats broken down by handedness. For example:

http://www.fangraphs...ers=0&sort=15,d

http://www.fangraphs...ers=0&sort=15,d

Further, you can use the adjacent field, wRC+, as a reference for which teams are more of a product of their environment(check out the Rockies wRC+- it's just slightly above league average, but they're first in wOBA).
  • 96mnc likes this
7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young

DL- Mark Prior

#11 don1444

don1444

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

The thing that people often forget is that while playing the match-ups does give you an edge, it's only a slight edge in baseball. That's obviously because the difference in a great hitter and a terrible hitter is only about 7.5% (.075). So people will almost certainly inaccurately recall these instances over the long term, even if they do work. The perceived benefit is viewed as small, whereas people remember the 47% where it failed spectacularly.
  • Matthias likes this

#12 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

The thing that people often forget is that while playing the match-ups does give you an edge, it's only a slight edge in baseball. That's obviously because the difference in a great hitter and a terrible hitter is only about 7.5% (.075). So people will almost certainly inaccurately recall these instances over the long term, even if they do work. The perceived benefit is viewed as small, whereas people remember the 47% where it failed spectacularly.

What do you mean by : "the difference in a great hitter and a terrible hitter is only about 7.5% (.075)."

Anyway, I think the point is that if you can be right anywhere more than you would be otherwise-- so in your example, 53% instead of 50% of the time-- then that difference will add up over the course of the season.
  • don1444 likes this
7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young

DL- Mark Prior

#13 yanksman

yanksman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

If i was in a daily league, yeah id barely play matchups. But in a weekly H2H league hell yeah i play matchups with my SPs. But im thinking this thread doesnt apply to that scenario. I can only start 6 SPs. I typically start my three studs every week and my last three spots i rotate based on matchups and/or double starts. How do i decide whats a good matchup? I usually goto ESPN and sort by team OPS vs R/L, at home/road, and last 7 days. I then compile those numbers to make my final decisions. Does it always work? No not really but typically I feel good about my decisions. I tend to over rate double starts too much and despite saying i wont do it i cant help myself. For example, this week i started jon neise, ervin santana, and roenis elias all with double starts and benched guys like eovaldi, arrieta, and morton all who had one start with an easy matchup.

#14 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

For me at least, pitching matchups are alot easier to figure out. My failure rate is about 90% when trying to be cute with hitters. Like i would sit morse in the midst of a slump against Teheran and he homers. Or I would sitDee against a lefty and he is 4 for 4. Start him vs righties and he is 0 for 4.

i have already lost about 7 hrs this yr from daily lineup moves and the starting hitters that i bench due to long slump or uncertainty if they will play are hitting abt .600 on the bench. Just this wk Dee and Altuve had 4 hit gms on bench.

#15 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts
  • Interests:Her name is Melanie Iglesias, google is your friend.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

I have gotten destroyed this year playing matchups with pitching, but in past years have had a lot of success with it. In innings cap roto as alluded to earlier it makes sense in theory to avoid rough matchups- your trying to get the best 1400 innings (whatever limit you use) you can get, so you don't want a marginal pitcher in a bad pitching environment.

The problem is that marginal pitchers are often marginal pitchers because they are consistently inconsistent. They take the mound and have nothing more often the elite guys, and whether they are pitching against the Padres or the Rockies they are going to get smoked that day. And there is no possible way to predict what days they will have their stuff and what days they won't.

#16 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I'm in a roto league with unlimited moves. The easiest and most important matchup to remember is to always bench your studs/pitchers against the Rockies at home. If you need to remember one thing, remember this. I'm starting to play this rule against the As as well, but they generally have a pitcher friendly ballpark.

You may catch lightening in a bottle, but more often than not you get burned.

Edit to clarify that by unlimited moves, I mean I can stream as much as I can until I hit the player position limits.

Edited by DK64MASTER, 19 June 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#17 don1444

don1444

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

What do you mean by : "the difference in a great hitter and a terrible hitter is only about 7.5% (.075)."

Anyway, I think the point is that if you can be right anywhere more than you would be otherwise-- so in your example, 53% instead of 50% of the time-- then that difference will add up over the course of the season.

Well a .230 career hitter is terrible, a career .305 hitter is great. Good post btw. Second part is spot on. People don't notice the slight edge, basically.

#18 yanksman

yanksman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

For me at least, pitching matchups are alot easier to figure out. My failure rate is about 90% when trying to be cute with hitters. Like i would sit morse in the midst of a slump against Teheran and he homers. Or I would sitDee against a lefty and he is 4 for 4. Start him vs righties and he is 0 for 4.

i have already lost about 7 hrs this yr from daily lineup moves and the starting hitters that i bench due to long slump or uncertainty if they will play are hitting abt .600 on the bench. Just this wk Dee and Altuve had 4 hit gms on bench.

yeah just set it and forget it with bats. Especially when its impossible figuring out what bullpen pitchers they will face.

#19 CAT

CAT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

First off, I'm not considering H2H in this response.

That said, of course it's advantageous to play the odds. It always is. It's like asking "is it advantageous to carefully consider all of the answers on a multiple choice question, or does it make more sense to have a superficial read and guess at the answer?"

I'll never ever understand the "if I own him, he starts" mentality especially as it relates to pitchers in innings cap leagues. I think a big part of the problem is that people who start every SP every time very often do get out in front in Ks and Ws in the first 3/4 of the season. This may help put them in a good position in the league at that point, giving a positive reinforcement to the "start the every time" approach. But once the slow and steady matchup players get caught up in innings, they drop in the standings. It's one of my favorite things actually. I'm almost always working from an IP deficit until about August. Then, once I'm very certain about which guys are actually having good years, and what their matchup numbers look like with a decent sample size for the season, and which teams actually have good or bad hitting numbers....that's when I really make up innings, and make a charge up the standings in Ks and Ws. Also, at the end of the season you get a lot of teams bringing up guys for their cups of coffee. You can really rack up good numbers there.

Finally, starting anyone not named Felix, Clayton, Wainwright, or Yu in Coors Field is idiocy.

#20 Picard56

Picard56

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Always start your aces no matter what.
Set and forget your big name hitters.
For my pitchers that aren't aces I usually always start them for a two start week, but just choose matchups for one start weeks.
If I am rotating any of my hitters I always look at ballparks they are hitting in, and how many games they play doing the week. If someone isn't a set and forget kind of guy and plays only 5 games, I would rather put in the bench guy that plays 6 games during that week.

Edited by Picard56, 20 June 2014 - 02:36 AM.

• ipstaff likes this
QB: Andrew Luck
WR: Calvin Johnson(k)
WR: Brandon Marshall(k)
RB: Zac Stacy
RB: Cj Spiller
TE: Dennis Pitta
WR/RB/TE: Terrance West
K: Phil Dawson
DST: Carolina

BN - Bobby Rainey
BN- Chris Johnson