3038 replies to this topic

#3021 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I didn't intend for my post to be anything about this league. I am content with how this league operates because 1) the July draft helped me for my money league, and also helped me crush Draft Kings and Fan Duel in week one 2) using FAAB was fun, I like it 3) there is no money involved, so I am not too worried about my team here, it's just a friendly competition with some rotoworld vets. I don't really anticipate, nor do I wish, for this league and it's settings to change much.

My post was more about money leagues, such as mine, where I am averaging 20 points more than the 6th place team, yet I am struggling to make the playoffs.

I have scored the 4th most points or better in 7 of 11 weeks and the 6th most points or better in every week. To me, that is indicative of a strong team.

My beef with points only leagues are the fact that your consistency does not matter (and I already mentioned they are boring as fuuu).

For example, last year a guy missed the playoffs because he had a boom or bust team. One week he would score 150+ points and the next he would score 87. On average, he was a good team, I believe he finished 3rd or 4th in points for the year). But week-to-week was bipolar. That is NOT a good team.

He was complaining about the scoring system and once I pointed out his boom-bust ways, everyone else agreed with what I said, and he chose not to join the league this year because we are all "stupid." Cool; bye.

I agree with Robrain, people find our league valuable. I have received several messaged from people about how I view players. Since I have played PPR for so long, and I have not played .5 PPR ever, other than this year, and I have not played standard since 2007, I don't really help too many people because I do not know about 2/3rds of the listed scoring formats. I did well in standard 8 years ago, but it is a very different game now.

Back to the scoring format. I am NOT suggesting any changes to this league. Except maybe change the draft to auction. I have never done an auction, but in a league of this size, I think you have to go to auction...that would have helped Robrain this year as he would have saved a bunch of money on Gerhart  :P .

Whatever Doc and Robrain say will go in this league, and I enjoyed this year as I learned a lot about .5 PPR. Naturally, the first time playing .5 PPR and playing in a 14 team league, I am going to struggle. However, the things I learned from the collective perspective here, which included draft values and such, has helped me considerably.

• DocJ likes this

12-team PPR;

Record: 5-5

1st in points (1328.8); 1st in points against (1289.7); ...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Rashad Jennings
RB: Jerick McKinnon
WR: Demaryius Thomas

WR: TY Hilton
Flex: Cecil Shorts
Flex: DeAndre Hopkins
TE: Super Smash Rob Gronkowski
Def: Stream

Bench:

Mike Wallace Jeremy Hill, Bryce Brown, Dan Herron, Kyle Rudolph

#3022 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

For the record, I too, was discussing other leagues.  I just used our standings as an example, because had I used my personal league, you wouldn't know WTF the standings meant relative to the point.  We were just openly discussing ways to improve the current scoring system.

Also, as far as "point leagues" and "fairness"...

You drafted your team.  You set your lineup every week.

You make all the decisions for your team.

Every other manager makes all the decisions for their team.

That's the essence of the H2H format.  You have to create your lineup, and then optimize that lineup week by week.  It's up to you to do that.  Whatever results come from your own decisions, that's 100% fair.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.

What we're talking about is the actual possibility to score the 2nd highest point total every week of the year, and be 'unlucky' enough to still go 0-14 on the fantasy season.

THAT, is what we're discussing trying to hypothetically remove from the possible outcomes of a fantasy league scoring.

You and I could draft 2 teams, manage them equally, score the exact same points weekly, and one of us go 3-11 while the other goes 11-3, purely because of who we played each week.  In real football, they play an actual defense each week, so it doesn't translate.  Sometimes it feels like we're simply playing a 'schedule' not an 'opponent'.  

Back on topic:

I really like your suggestion A&L, where you get awarded for points, but your weekly matchup is still equally as valuable as your weekly point total.

Edited by FFCollusion, Yesterday, 12:19 PM.

• AshesAndLaughter likes this
I do it for the likes...

#3023 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:41 PM

I personally would like to see a minor adjustment to this league. But it won't stop me from staying in.

I just think if we can try to eliminate as much of the luck part of FF, the better.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#3024 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

A few more questions:

1)How many of you have performed auction drafts before? Not mocks; actual drafts.

2) In comparison to the same amount of rounds as a snake draft, how much longer (roughly) does an auction take?

3) If give the choice, would you prefer an auction over a snake draft with all things considered (time, fairness, strategy, etc)

12-team PPR;

1st in points (1328.8); 1st in points against (1289.7); ...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs

Bench:

#3025 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

I'm all for a top 5 gets in on record and the 6th gets in on points scored. Maybe something to think about for next year?

I'm a big proponent of this. In my keeper league this is how the playoffs are structured. In my friends league the top total points team doesn't get into the playoffs but they get a little piece of the pie in winnings, basically they win back their buy in for the league that season.

That being said it's not a deal breaker for me in this league. If we made this a money league I may feel differently. All of us are experienced enough to break down the standings into how our teams have really done this season so far, it's not a mystery.

Edited by DocJ, Yesterday, 01:06 PM.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#3026 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

A few more questions:

1)How many of you have performed auction drafts before? Not mocks; actual drafts.

2) In comparison to the same amount of rounds as a snake draft, how much longer (roughly) does an auction take?

3) If give the choice, would you prefer an auction over a snake draft with all things considered (time, fairness, strategy, etc)

1) I've done an Auction league for the last 2 years 

2) When done online, it's about 1 extra hour.

*This does not include everyone, as in an auction certain people can finish before others

*It's very dependent on the people involved; Price enforcing, bid wars, or just people waiting until the time to bid

*Whether the system has a 'pass' option, and whether people use it

*Never done a slow auction, not even entirely sure how it works, but usually 3 players are up for bid at a time, and as each finishes, a new player goes up.

3) I prefer Auctions, and honestly see it growing in popularity over the next 5 years.  Auctions allow you to do so many different things.  In a snake draft, whether we like to admit it or not, our draft position actually dictates a large percentage of our draft.  It forces you to draft a certain tier of player at a certain time, and it's extremely biased based on the format you draft on (default rankings)  Auction allow you to build a team in any way that you like.  Stars and scrubs, balanced, 2 super stars, WR heavy, RB heavy, etc.  It's puts real life values on players rather than 'well he's ranked X, if I don't take him here...'  Snakes limit your ability to get players you like.  More skill is involved.  In snakes, people can literally autodraft and be just as competitive (minus K/DST/QB2 in the 9th-11th rounds)  In an Auction, there are so many more strategies of nominating players you do or don't want, nominating them early or late, among other things.  Every Auction is different, and each bid, alters the subsequent players value going forward.  Backup plans are required, you're less dependent on trades to get the team you like, there are values to be had... The list goes on.

I do it for the likes...

#3027 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Also, after playing in this league, I am convinced that .75 PPR is the way to go. It might be because I am biased toward PPR, however full PPR is too much, standard is not enough, and from my perspective, .5 PPR is not quite right.

I don't play PPR to simply get more points for each team. I also do NOT play PPR to make WRs more valuable. Those are not good reasons to me to play PPR.

I like full PPR because it awards people for doing their job (catching a pass). I also like PPR because it rewards players for making their QB look good. Like Chris Hogan extending drives despite Kyle Orton, not because of him. Hogan is unlikely to get many TDs, but he plays a huge role in that eventual TD to Sammy Watkins, Dixon, Brown, or FJax.

Does it suck when someone gets 1 point for a 0 yard catch in PPR? Sure it does. But, the guy did his job (caught the pass) so he should be rewarded for that; just because his other WRs failed to block effectively on a screen doesn't mean he didn't do his job. Especially when you have a guy like Forsett who gets taken out of the game for a 1 yard plunge into the end zone. Forsett does all the work up the field by catching 2 passes on 3rd down, extending the drive. He should get some credit for the scoring drive, not just the yards he attained.

If one wants Taliaferro to come in for a 1 yard plunge that is worth 60 yards (6 points for a TD) then that's all cool. That's not what I want; and it's not about "fairness" either, it's about how I wish for my fantasy land to be played based on how I view the game of football.

I am unwilling to have discussions like this elsewhere on these forums because people get abrasive with their comments, and they refuse to admit that they could be biased. I open up discussions admitting that I could be biased because, well, that is always a possibility when you are a human.

i am also going to try to convince my league mates to go .75 PPR instead of full PPR. This league has been awesome in fine tuning my perspective on fantasy scoring.

12-team PPR;

4pt passing TDs

Bench:

#3028 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Whatever Doc and Robrain say will go in this league, and I enjoyed this year as I learned a lot about .5 PPR. Naturally, the first time playing .5 PPR and playing in a 14 team league, I am going to struggle. However, the things I learned from the collective perspective here, which included draft values and such, has helped me considerably.

This is really why this league was formed in the first place. It's a way to sharpen our skills for other leagues ($$$)...and while I'd love to whip all your as*es in it I can't get worked up too much over a bad season as I've benefited from this league is many other ways, I hope everyone else has as well. 

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#3029 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

I preferred full point PPR, but after a full season of Fanduel last year, as well as this league this year, I've started to favor .5PPR.

And for the record, since you brought it up.  A catch for 0 yards is usually a 3 yard grossed gain in real football and does deserve credit. It often occurs to avoid a sack, which I clearly feel has value.

Return yards!

Field position is huge in football, I continue to be confused by people who don't think return yards should be a part of our game too.

6pt Passing TDs make no sense to me, although to be fair, 4pt passing touchdowns also don't translate from a mathematical standpoint, but that's neither here nor there. Rushing TD's should be 6, passing/receiving should be 3 (3+3=6)

Bonus points drive me up a wall.  Arbitrary numbers dictating a 5 point difference for a single yard... ugh.

I do it for the likes...

#3030 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Yeah it has been a great learning experience, as the league's I invest the most time in are amongst friends and acquaintances, so sometimes the knowledge of FF isn't always there. This league gives me an opportunity to play with some very experienced FF players and gifted minds in multiple facets. Both instinctual play and mathematics/numbers are used in this league and both help me create a well-rounded approach to my other leagues. I know I am not the most verbal on the message boards but I do read just about everything posted and take everything into account.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs. 7-4, 2nd place.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, C.J. Anderson,
DeAngelo Williams
WR: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Larry Fitzgerald, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: Trent Richardson, Pierre Garcon
TE: Antonio Gates,
Vernon Davis
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft) 994.32 points, 3rd place.

QB: Mark Sanchez, RG3
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Isaiah Crowell, Juwan Thompson
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, ODB, Alshon Jeffery
Flex: FREED JOSH GORDON
TE: Mychal Rivera
DEF: Philly D/ST
K: Parkey

#3031 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

I'm all for a top 5 gets in on record and the 6th gets in on points scored. Maybe something to think about for next year?

I'm a big proponent of this. In my keeper league this is how the playoffs are structured. In my friends league the top total points team doesn't get into the playoffs but they get a little piece of the pie in winnings, basically they win back their buy in for the league that season.

That being said it's not a deal breaker for me in this league. If we made this a money league I may feel differently. All of us are experienced enough to break down the standings into how our teams have really done this season so far, it's not a mystery.

I am in agreement. If given the opportunity to vote on a change for next year, I would vote yes to the bolded suggestion.

12-team PPR;

4pt passing TDs

Bench:

#3032 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

I agree with Robrain, people find our league valuable. I have received several messaged from people about how I view players. Since I have played PPR for so long, and I have not played .5 PPR ever, other than this year, and I have not played standard since 2007,

I've gotten messages like that, (even before I was in this league).

If the point of the league is to be valuable to other users, we should probably try to get as close to standard format as possible.  As far as I can tell, the settings almost mimic the yahoo friends and family league rather than being the typical stuff you'd see in most leagues. 

There is an insane premium on running backs, because in this format you can start four of them with fourteen owners.  The leagues I've been in over the years with more than 10 owners usually have flex spots and do PPR to give owners flexibility.  For example the sixteen team league I'm in does this:

QB, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/R/T  1 PT PPR.

I've never really seen a league include over 10 players, have two RB spots and two flex spots.  The leagues I've played in like that have been under 10 players.

It sort of makes the whole thing a bit screwy imo.

It's still been a blast playing with you guys though, and for the most part idgaf I'll play any fantasy football format.

Edited by Iron-cock, Yesterday, 01:30 PM.

#3033 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:23 PM

A few more questions:

1.  I started two seasons ago doing actual auctions.

2.  A lot?  I never really estimated, but it takes forever. 

3.  Auction means a lot more if you know how to value players correctly.  I feel like I draft much better in an auction than a snake, since I can target the players I want rather than worrying about "the board".

#3034 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Auctions allow you to do so many different things.  In a snake draft, whether we like to admit it or not, our draft position actually dictates a large percentage of our draft.  It forces you to draft a certain tier of player at a certain time

To give an example of this based on our draft, I wanted to draft a top QB  and TE because we were set up for 6pt TD passes and 1/2 pt ppr.    The largest point differentials, and the most predictable positions were QB and TE.  

Because of my draft position, I couldn't get the top QB and TE.    Basically an auction allows you to execute (and even overpay) to play a strategy or get the players you want, whereas a draft you may be forced into a strategy because of the draft board.

#3035 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:31 PM

A few more questions:

1) The IDP league I used to be in was auction, a lot of fun vs. traditional drafts imo.

2) My experience has been almost double the time.

3) If I had to choose I'd go with auction but it's not by a large margin. I like developing different draft strategies based on my draft position as well.

#3036 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,751 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

love how my late RB picks (mason/murray) are about to blow up ... it feels about as good as dropping blount while he's out of the league and shortly after he signs on to become the new patriots starting RB by week 14.

this league is my draft prep. due to ridiculous bad luck i'm done in 1 money league but in a good spot to win 3/4 noney leagues. thanks boys.

[i love our roster settings and scoring settings as is. so much strategy, so much fun].

[[ auction would be cool ... it'd take 6 months, but it'd be interesting ]]

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, Yesterday, 07:14 PM.

• DocJ likes this

#3037 Dislimb

Dislimb

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Half point PPR is ideal IMO.
  • DocJ and Robrain like this
10 team, round-based keeper league (up to three players, but no more than one per position) with standard scoring (non-PPR) and 4 point passing TDs:

QB: Aaron Rodgers (k-2)
RB1: Jamaal Charles (k-1)
RB2: Justin Forsett (n/a)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (t-1)
WR2: Julio Jones (k-3)
RB/WR: Emmanuel Sanders (6)
TE: Jason Witten (7)
D/ST: San Francisco 49ers (n/a)
K: Justin Tucker (16)

Bench:
QB: Tony Romo (10)
RB: Trent Richardson (8), Fred Jackson (9), Knile Davis (11)
TE: Mychal Rivera (n/a)
D/ST: New England Patriots (14), Houston Texans (n/a)

#3038 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted Today, 10:21 AM

I'd prefer not to do an auction league here. Because 1. it would probably take 3+ hours and I don't think we would all have that kinda time. 2. I like the slow snake draft. That's what gets me prepped and it's fun. 

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#3039 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted Today, 01:39 PM

Not so much for this league specifically, but I'm always dumbfounded when people want to make their draft day as short as possible.

To me, the draft is the BEST part of the entire year.  We spend months preparing for that 3 hour roller coaster of emotions, the last thing I want to do is 'just get it over with'.

Again, this is more in regards to other leagues, this one has a purpose and I respect that.

• ToO_BaD likes this
I do it for the likes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users