#1 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!

This team is like clockwork - Cuddyer DL, Arenado DL, Cuddyer back to DL, CarGo DL, and after seeing replays of Tulo coming out - seems like this will be a Tulo DL.

There healthy lineup is as good as it gets, but it's so rarely in tact.

Well Rockies fans, the Broncos might be able to challenge my Hawks with a bolstered defense.
  • mjk356 likes this

#2 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

I lived in Denver for a while, and going to a Rockies game is like a haze of bong hits and booze, so you're just numb to the outcome. Denver fans are so laid-back, outside of the Broncos. But it's hard to be laid-back with the NFL, with the 16 game schedule. Going to a Rockie game, if you live near the stadium, consists of the following...

1. Take bong rips and drink pregame
2. Walk to game, drink more
3. Leave game, completely oblivious and apathetic to whether the Rockies won or lost
  • Cmilne23, supac720, bigbluecrew56 and 1 other like this

#3 Nefarious Industrialist

Nefarious Industrialist

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Damn I wish I

I lived in Denver for a while, and going to a Rockies game is like a haze of bong hits and booze, so you're just numb to the outcome. Denver fans are so laid-back, outside of the Broncos. But it's hard to be laid-back with the NFL, with the 16 game schedule. Going to a Rockie game, if you live near the stadium, consists of the following...

3. Leave game, completely oblivious and apathetic to whether the Rockies won or lost

Damn I wish I lived in Colorado
  • Zumayaaaa and Brol79 like this

#4 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Any word on who will take Nicasio's rotation spot?
2013 CHAMP!- Field of Dreams (10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)

2014:
C-C.Santana (1B/3B), S.Vogt (1B/OF)
1B-F.Freeman, A.Craig (OF)
2B-N.Walker, J.Harrison (3B/OF)
3B- M.Machado, C.McGehee (1B)
SS- B.Zobrist (2B/OF), X.Bogaerts(3B)
OF-A.McCutchen, Y.Puig, J.Bautista (1B), S.Pearce (1B), M.Byrd, B.Revere

SP-Y.Darvish, G.Cole, J.Shields, C.Hamels, H.Iwakuma, AJ Burnett, H.Bailey,
J.Lackey,D.Hutchison, J.deGrom, C.Morton, J.Quintana, JA Happ, J.Kelly

N/A: N.Syndergaard

Let's go, Mets!

#5 JaytheShlugger

JaytheShlugger

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

You should come to LA and see how we roll.. pun intended (;

The only thing is, #3... we got a lot of people with tooo much pride here about winning/losing thats why there are so many fights. At first everyone is cool, because they came all high, then by 3rd inning the buzzes start to hit.

[size=2]$100 Head2Head 10 man league Re-Draft (2014 BASEBALL)
C- Carlos Santana 1B- Adrian Gonzalez 2B- Anthony Rendon SS- Hanley Ramirez 3B- Aramis Ramirez 1B/3B- Kennys Vargas 2B/SS- Yunel Escobar OF- Mike Trout / Andrew McCutchin /Bryce Harper / Steve Pearce / Oswaldo Arcia UTIL- Mookie Betts
BENCH- Anthony Rizzo / Jay Bruce / George Solar / George Springer(DL)
SP- Chris Sale / Stephen Strasburg
RP- Craig Kimbrel /Aroldis Chapman / Steve Cishek / Kevin Quackenbush / Wade Davis / Dellin Betances
[/size]

$100 Head2Head 12 Man League Re-Draft (2014 FOOTBALL)
QB- Colin Kaepernick
RB- Eddie Lacy / Alfred Morris
WR- Julio Jones / Vincent Jackson
TE- Jordan Cameron
FLEX - Daren Sproles
K- Cody Parkey
DEF- Denver Broncos
BENCH- Chris Ivory / Trent Richardson / Reggie Wayne / Anquan Bolden / Travis Kelce

#6 tuesdays

tuesdays

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

for fantasy owners that have rockies and are looking ahead to the playoffs...

I know not everyone's schedule is the same but in September the rockies are at home in weeks one and three. they are on the road in weeks 2 and 4

I guess just heads up and keep this in mind and have an alternate for the time they aren't at coors if you feel so inclined

Edited by tuesdays, 25 July 2014 - 11:35 PM.

ESPN H2H 12-team

H, R, HR, RBI, XBH, AVG, K, SB

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Jose Bautista
2B - Kolten Wong
SS - Eric Aybar
3B - Juan Uribe
MI - Josh Rutledge
CI - Edwin Encarnacion
OF - Michael Brantley, Billy Hamilton, JD Martinez, Corey Dickerson
Util - Michael Cuddyer, Steve Pearce
Bench - Nolan Arenado, Devin Mesoraco, AJ Pollock, Justin Upton, Jorge Soler
DL - Goldschmidt

QS, K, ERA, WHIP, BAA, Saves

SP - Alex Cobb, Mike Fiers, Yusmeiro Petit
RP - Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen, Zach Britton, Neftali Feliz

#7 clutchness

clutchness

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Shouldn't Rockies have pitching staff full of split finger fastball pitchers? Like when a guy like Iwakuma becomes a FA back up the brinks truck. Their team more than any other team should look into ground ball ratio's in pitchers. Who are top 10 ground ball starters in league today???
14 Team Standard Keeper League(Six Keepers-H2H-standard cats plus K9)
============================

>>>CLUTCHNESS (MLB 2014-Yahoo)

C Gomes/Mauer
1B VMart/Singleton
2B Phillips/Odor
SS Peralta
3B K.Seager/Alvarez
OF Harper/Gomez/Dickerson/Byrd

SP Cueto/Iwakuma/Richards/Shields/E.Santana/Cobb
RP Robertson/KRod/Janssen/Feliz

#8 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Shouldn't Rockies have pitching staff full of split finger fastball pitchers? Like when a guy like Iwakuma becomes a FA back up the brinks truck. Their team more than any other team should look into ground ball ratio's in pitchers. Who are top 10 ground ball starters in league today???

I think they've tried this to an extent but it hasn't worked for them.

#9 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

The problem is pitching in Coors with the thin air mitigates the sink those groundball pitchers usually get.

Tim Hudson is a good example. He's a superb groundball pitcher. But in 7 career starts at Coors... it's not pretty.

37 innings, 1.73 WHIP, 7.05 ERA

Mike Hampton was a good groundball pitcher... until he started pitching in Coors.

But in theory you're right. That's why guys like Aaron Cook and Jason Marquis had some success there. The Rockies can produce serviceable back end starters if they can induce a lot of groundballs like Cook and Marquis. Ubaldo was a front end starter because he could induce groundballs and miss bats. Strikeout pitchers tend to be flyball pitchers, which is unfortunate for the Rockies. What they really need are pitchers who can get groundballs and miss bats, a rare combination.

Also, you're assuming free agents will want to pitch in Colorado?

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 27 July 2014 - 06:36 PM.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#10 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I thought Rockies missed out on Samarzija. Perfect pitcher for them, who strikes guys out and gets a lot of groundballs. Those guys are rare in the game right now.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#11 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Eddie Butler appears to be a decent groundball pitcher, but he's not missing any bats. Rockies fans won't want to hear this, but his upside isn't much higher than what Aaron Cook did there.

Jon Gray's GB% is under 40% in AA. Doesn't bode well for him. I don't think either pitcher will ever be fantasy relevant as long as they pitch for the Rox. Gray might be one day if he gets out of there.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 27 July 2014 - 06:44 PM.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#12 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

The torch has been passed. SD is better than COL - and that is pathetic. COL truly is the standard-bearer for futility in the majors even compared to SD imo. I'm grading on a curve.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#13 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Really the problem is not anything that happens at Coors. They are 28-30 at home. Basically a coin flip slug-fest every time.

Its how HORRIBLE they are on the road. After tonight, they are now 18-43 on the road.

They are 27th in runs scored, and 28th in road OPS. Along with the WORST road ERA of 4.83. To put in perspective, they have a 5.18 ERA at home. The pitching is just plain bad, and it really has little do with the Coors effect.

Its been touched on before, but there are underline reasons for why hitters are much worse on the road than they should. Bottom 5 offense though? Blech. Honestly, instead of worrying about getting pitchers who "make sense" to Coors. They should just get any quality pitching they can get their hands on, and screw it if they cater to Coors or not.

Because really, the offensive support is ALWAYS going to be there for them at Coors, its just a matter of only sucking, but not getting torched.

But that 4.83 road ERA is what is killing them when you know the offense is always going to take a step back.

Edited by Slatykamora, 13 August 2014 - 12:37 AM.

#14 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

Honestly makes me wonder whether there are negative effects to frequently traveling from high to low altitudes - might explain why this one team consistently performs so horribly on the road
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#15 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Honestly makes me wonder whether there are negative effects to frequently traveling from high to low altitudes - might explain why this one team consistently performs so horribly on the road

It's leaving that kind Colorado bud brah. The Rox players probably get discounts on some medicinal. Maybe they can find something comparable in SD or Norcal, but good luck finding some of that Colorado herbal remedy in Milwaukee or St Louis.

In all seriousness though, are the Rockies still really into Jesus as an org still? I remember that was their thing a few years ago. They really wanted all of their players to be born again Christians.

#16 Light Tower Power

Light Tower Power

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

Yes, it's actually quite simple. The ball moves a lot more on the road. It takes their hitters a game or two to adjust to the new movement when on the road when facing live pitching. Dailybaseballdata had a great article on it, but I can't find it.

Edited by Light Tower Power, 13 August 2014 - 03:09 AM.

• Slatykamora likes this

#17 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Does the altitude also have something to do with the inability to hire a competent manager? Because really- they don't hire managers very good
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#18 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Yes, it's actually quite simple. The ball moves a lot more on the road. It takes their hitters a game or two to adjust to the new movement when on the road when facing live pitching. Dailybaseballdata had a great article on it, but I can't find it.

Visual Memory: Monfort Should Move the Rockies from Colorado [view] [hide]

Major League Baseball’s average playing air density is 61 on the Neeley Scale; Colorado’s air density averages approximately 42 on the same scale. I’ve pointed out that with lesser ball movement in their home stadium, it takes several games to adjust to the road venue. Then, since they must move to the next road venue for the second series, the hitters are never able to settle into normal MLB standard performance. These hitters soon begin to see themselves as second rate MLB players, when in actuality they are extremely talented.

Over the course of 20 plus years, the Colorado Rockies have never won their division. The Rockies have tried expensive veteran pitchers, they have tried bringing pitchers up from the farm system, they have tried Colorado natives, and they’ve generally followed all of MLB’s best practices from the perspective of the most respected baseball people. Nothing has worked, and both their pitchers and hitters have always become down-trodden by the end of each season. Excuses are always handy for the owners and managers, such as injury, or “the players just have to step up,” or “there are not enough molecules in the air for sufficient physiological recovery.”
Actually in Denver, Colorado, there are over 11 quintillion molecules of air, with oxygen attached, within a box the size a baseball could fit into--in comparison to 13 quintillion at sea level. The lungs convert only 5% of the oxygen in the air into the blood stream: therefore even if lungs were only the size of that box, having more than 10 quintillion molecules of air would be unnecessary. All of the excuses are just that, excuses.
However, ball movement is the essential need for successful pitching in any baseball competition. Colorado’s air provides very little of it, even though the speed is available. Good hitting on the road requires previous exposure to good movement on the pitch.
I have explained all of this to Dick Monfort, and he doesn’t buy it, probably because he doesn’t want to, or is afraid to build a hyperbaric type batting cage that would keep his players’ visual memory fresh.
Dick comes under fire periodically for all kinds of things, but essentially he is correct in saying he should just move the team. It would not matter if he replaced the manager, general manager, all the hitters, or all the pitchers; they would all fall into this same problem of adjusting back and forth to the differences in ball movement across the league’s venues.
So, regardless of who he may choose to hire, he will still have the difficulty of altitudinal air resistance to deal with. If he is not going to deal with it properly, then he should move the team to a sea-level location with a cool air environment. That way the same decisions made by traditional baseball managers and coaches in other locations will work for the Rockies as well. Then, and only then, will a Monfort-run team see year-in and year-out success.
The losers will then be the Colorado fans who helped pay for a wonderful stadium, and the Colorado natives who would like to show the world they are not inferior, and the former amateur baseball players who expect to see a competitive team, and the former Rockies players who could have won a championship.
Visual Memory by Clifton Neeley, creator of the Visual Memory Index© and the web-site www.baseballvmi.com. Clifton pitched and played baseball and fast-pitch softball in the mountainous southwest Colorado area (from 4,000 feet in Grand Junction to 6,000 feet in Durango to 9,000 feet in Telluride) prior to his college experience in baseball.

• Slatykamora likes this

#19 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Post failed due to formatting. Though if you click the 'View' link in the article above there are some very interesting articles highlighting ball movement at different elevations. Article 10 in particular.

Edited by Zumayaaaa, 13 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#20 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

post failed due to formatting. :angry:

that's ok. was an interesting read
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users