• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

How much do you believe in Ray Searage?

7 scoreless at Miami
5 hits
5 Ks
0 BBs

Nothing to see here, or does Ray work his magic again?
  • JaytheShlugger likes this

#2 don1444

don1444

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

He has had periods where he was good in the past. He could run off a few good starts in a row again.

#3 machine3

machine3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Bucs' bullpen has been brutal this series.

#4 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

43/4 K/BB this year in the minors. ERA wasn't the best but I think that was just unlucky. Don't think he will be in the rotation for long with Cole coming back soon

16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Harrison
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Lamb
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Castillo, Beltran
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Hardy
Bench: Moustakas, Dietrich, Sizemore, Ianetta, Lamb

SP: Zimmerman, McCarthy, Holland, Hutchison, M Gonzalez, Kazmir, Morton, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Feldman, Cashner, Wada, deGrom, Carrasco, Volquez
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#5 BBWeekly

BBWeekly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Wall Street Escapee. Pirates, Spurs, Bills and Sabres. Bodybuilding, statistics, travel and Senate politics.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

"In speaking to the Tribune-Review late last month in Indianapolis, Worley said he was not 100 percent to begin 2013 after having to remove bone chips from his elbow at the end of the 2012 season. He was surprised the Twins wanted him to lead their rotation.

The Pirates hope they have unearthed another bargain like they did with A.J. Burnett and Liriano."

So he might just be returning to normal now, post surgery.

The Pirates rotation is wide open next year. Someone to put on your radar for next year, I would think.

Edited by BBWeekly, 15 June 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Yorkville Digitbangers: 11 team expert league, re-draft auction (max five keepers at last year's costs plus ten) $300 salary cap. No head to head. All that matters is year end standings.
Batting - HR, AVG, SB, RBI (no runs) Pitching - ERA, W-L, SO-BB, S *=not active
Only 8 roster moves allowed per year (not including DL replacements). Remaining: None

C - Mauer, Rosario, Grandal*
1B - C.Davis*, Loney
SS - Jeter, Villar*
2B - Rendon, Dozier
3B - P.Alvarez, Harrison
OF - Trumbo, Polanco, R.Davis, T.Hunter, E.Young, Willingham*
SP - Teheran, Cobb, Cole, Hughes, Paxton, Odorizzi, Liriano, Hudson*, Tillman*, Eovaldi*, Hutchison*, Santiago*
RP - McGee, Keuchel, Crain*
Drafted and released - K.Johnson, Santos, A.Bradley, Fielder, Broxton, D.Webb, Balfour, Estrada
Traded - Ozuna (for Santiago and two roster moves)
Shields, Desmond, Espinosa, L.Martin, Gordon & Britton for Teheran, Dozier, Villar, E.Young, T.Hunter, & Hutchison

#6 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

"In speaking to the Tribune-Review late last month in Indianapolis, Worley said he was not 100 percent to begin 2013 after having to remove bone chips from his elbow at the end of the 2012 season. He was surprised the Twins wanted him to lead their rotation.

The Pirates hope they have unearthed another bargain like they did with A.J. Burnett and Liriano."

So he might just be returning to normal now, post surgery.

The Pirates rotation is wide open next year. Someone to put on your radar for next year, I would think.

Eh, sounds like typical guy trying to make a comeback.

If he throws strikes like he did today he will be fine. Still a streamer at this point. I doubt he can hold a strong K rate in the MLB, and the walk rate he has so far this year is unsustainable. However, can't doubt Searage at this point...
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#7 machine3

machine3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

I only watched a couple innings of his start today, but I was impressed with his command. He was spotting pitches on the corners and did not throw anything down the middle. Hitters were not getting solid swings on him.

#8 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

I've got him for tomorrow. Not crazy about @CHC but it's not something I would go out of my way to avoid. For deep leaguers, there are no pitchers available! Basically forced to go with him but there are actually some good vibes surrounding him.

He has a career 3.0 BB/9 over 333.1 IP and is only 26. Pitt is a nice place to pitch. Meanwhile, toss his stats from 2013 out the window. It was very clear he should not have been pitching, bone spurs tend to take half a season to recover from until a pitcher regains his location but if he was also dealing with tendinitis that's insane the Twins put him in the rotation. Pretty obvious even if he were healthy he would not do well in the AL though, he's as mediocre as they come but for now he should be serviceable.

That 43/4 K:BB ratio in the minors is sexy but remember he was also older than his competition. Still encouraging though.

When Cole and Liriano return, Cumpton and Locke get bumped out but Edinson Volquez is still there and Liriano is still 2+ weeks away from a return so there is time for Worley to impress. There is a slight glimmer of hope the Pirates can get serious and dump E.V. Charlie Morton is also worse than Vance but he's locked into the rotation - the Pirates inexplicably love him.

Finally, if you're on the fence I would recommend you go review his first Pirates start. He actually looked great. Sure, Miami has been cold this month but they're still 3rd in the NL in runs. Worley was spotting everything, getting ahead in counts and didn't really give up any hard contact. It was an impressive performance that was surely aided by his opponent being unfamiliar with him but that should continue. The NL hasn't seen him since 2012 and many players have never faced him or have very limited exposure. Add in his continued development and I'm somewhat optimistic. Not expecting anything too great, just hoping he can hold the fort until I find a better replacement for Floyd :(
  • fatbob166 likes this
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#9 fatbob166

fatbob166

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

He was great last time out, and the Cubbies scored all their runs for the month today...Even though Wood's been better lately and held the Pirates in check this season, I still think it could be a great shot at a QS and a W....Nice write up PPolanco!
14 Team PPR (keep 3)
QB- Stafford*
RB- Charles*, Vereen
WR- Megatron, White
TE- Miller
DST- Rams
Bench
RB- Moreno, Greene, Davis, Bradshaw, L.Murray
WR- Garcon, Decker
TE- Green, Kelce
12 Team PPR
QB-Ryan, Locker
RB- Lacy, West
WR- D.Thomas, Bryant
TE- Pitta
DST- 49ers
Bench
RB- Ingram, Greene, Williams, Hyde, Tate, L.Murray
WR- Shorts, Randle, Gordon
TE- Kelce

#10 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

I like him tonight...Aside from Rizzo Cubs don't walk very much and Worley doesn't give out walks. I think he could give us a 6 IP, 2 ER 7 H, 0 BB, 5 K kind of start. I think long term he is a streamer but this would be a match up I would stream in. Also his next start is home against Mets which is an elite match up, then home against Arizona which is another plus match up. This is a good time to get on the bad wagon.
  • PPolanco likes this
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#11 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yup, I'm actually moderately excited I got him. Those 3 starts are potentially his final starts as the rotation gets healthy but if he pitches well you never know

#12 machine3

machine3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Passed the eye test for me first time out. Let's see if his command stays consistent.

#13 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

He looked great! Even better than his line indicates. He has full command of his pitches and doesn't throw balls. His stuff is as mediocre as they come but I would not be surprised to see him continue to post results. Not hurting yourself is often the key to pitching

#14 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Is he still racking up strikeouts looking? That used to be his cup of tea - seems like Roark has taken the mantle this year. Anyone notice?
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#15 machine3

machine3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

4 Ks (3 looking)

#16 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thanks!
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#17 fatbob166

fatbob166

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

He looked great! Even better than his line indicates. He has full command of his pitches and doesn't throw balls. His stuff is as mediocre as they come but I would not be surprised to see him continue to post results. Not hurting yourself is often the key to pitching

Yes he did...Just watched the highlights, and his stuff looked pretty nasty...I had to drop him already for a stream today, but I will probably grab him back up assuming everyone else stays away...Pitt is going to have some tough pitching decisions coming up very shortly...
14 Team PPR (keep 3)
QB- Stafford*
RB- Charles*, Vereen
WR- Megatron, White
TE- Miller
DST- Rams
Bench
RB- Moreno, Greene, Davis, Bradshaw, L.Murray
WR- Garcon, Decker
TE- Green, Kelce
12 Team PPR
QB-Ryan, Locker
RB- Lacy, West
WR- D.Thomas, Bryant
TE- Pitta
DST- 49ers
Bench
RB- Ingram, Greene, Williams, Hyde, Tate, L.Murray
WR- Shorts, Randle, Gordon
TE- Kelce

#18 ABITNYC

ABITNYC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Think he's worth it to pick up for the long run - kind if premature but I'm in desperate need of pitching.

I think the elbow issue was legitimate. Looks like control is back and he should post decent results. Any reason to think he can continue a sub 3.5 ERA and a decent whip?

#19 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Think he's worth it to pick up for the long run - kind if premature but I'm in desperate need of pitching.

I think the elbow issue was legitimate. Looks like control is back and he should post decent results. Any reason to think he can continue a sub 3.5 ERA and a decent whip?

Cumpton volquez and Locke all competing for a roster spot with him and the total k's will be underwhelming. I like what I've seen but still view him as a spot-starter. In deep leagues he's probably worth holding until/if he loses his job
  • ABITNYC likes this

#20 ABITNYC

ABITNYC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Same page as me.
Cumpton volquez and Locke all competing for a roster spot with him and the total k's will be underwhelming. I like what I've seen but still view him as a spot-starter. In deep leagues he's probably worth holding until/if he loses his job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users