Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Ken Giles 2014 OutlookThe NL version of Betances in the second half?


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BackwardsKRay

BackwardsKRay

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles (via STL)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

Aside from giving up a dinger in his debut, this kid has been lights out, striking out 50% of the batters he's faced in the early going.  Small sample size, but he has the pedigree and is definitely worth monitoring in a thin Phillies bullpen if you're looking for ratio help or are in a holds league.
12-Team daily H2H dynasty (three N/A slots and three D/L slots):

C Salvador Perez
1B Paul Goldschmidt
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Adrian Beltre
SS Jean Segura
OF Yasiel Puig
OF Mike Trout
OF Andrew McCutchen
Util Gregory Polanco
Bench C Wilin Rosario, 1B Matt Adams, 2B/3B Matt Carpenter
DL Bryce Harper
N/A SS Javier Baez, SS Mookie Betts

SP Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright, Stephen Strasburg, Marcus Stroman, Wade Davis
P Koji Uehara, Kenley Jansen, Sean Doolittle, Trevor Rosenthal, Dellin Betances
Bench RP Jake McGee, RP Neil Ramirez, RP Shae Simmons
DL Jose Fernandez
NA Alex Wood

#2 JerZee

JerZee

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Champaign, IL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

Could be Paps successor.  Love the kid glad to see the Phil turn the page and give the kid a shot

#3 Gryfter

Gryfter

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Papelbon to the ChiSox...?
14 Team H2H:

C: Devin Mesoraco
1B: Carlos Santana
2B: Jose Altuve
SS: Jose Reyes
3B: Evan Longoria
RF: JD Martinez
CF: Bryce Harper
LF: Corey Dickerson
Util: Kolten Wong

Bench: Steven Vogt, Dee Gordon, Yoenis Cespedes
DL: Michael Wacha, CJ Wilson

Starters:
David Price, Scott Kazmir, Jon Lester, Jesse Hahn, Clay Buchholz, Edinson Volquez

Relievers:
Fernando Rodney, Casey Janssen, Jenrry Mejia, Santiago Casilla, Joe Smith, Ken Giles

#4 spaghetti

spaghetti

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Could be another Davis/Betances for ratios and K help. Thinking about stashing him if Papelbon gets traded next month. I am worried about his walk rate though. It was horrendous (high 5s to 6s BB/9) in the minors until this year. But, from what it appears, someone in AA tweaked his mechanics and improved his command. Hopefully, he can sustain it.

#5 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostGryfter, on 25 June 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

Papelbon to the ChiSox...?

The W Sox will be selling. Also, they dealt Reed in the off season because they figured they could find someone random to replace him. Jones and Lindstrom both got hurt. I doubt they do a complete 180 a trade for an overpaid aging closer, especially given that they are 400 games out of first
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#6 cizastro

cizastro

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

It's somebody to keep an eye on for sure.  At this point, he walks way too many guys for me to take a flier on him.  If he can get his walk rate down, he has some serious potential.  Even this season with his improved walk rate it's still high.  One bad pitch with extra guys you put on base due to free passes is a recipe for some disastrous outings.

#7 mtw02

mtw02

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

#8 CAT

CAT

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

#9 mtw02

mtw02

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.    

Its not a ridiculous question.

Edited by mtw02, 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM.


#10 capattack

capattack

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

ahahahah zing! Easily one of the top 5 responses I've ever seen on here (insert clapping .gif)
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#11 Crestor20

Crestor20

    Triple-A

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

A reliever not pitching in 3 games is news?

#12 CAT

CAT

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

Its not a ridiculous question.

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header.  In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

#13 mtw02

mtw02

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.    

Its not a ridiculous question.

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header.  In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

Ok man.  You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom.  People like you amaze me.  I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.  

*****

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs.  Cue up the fire sale.  If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtrader...nathan-papelbon

#14 bigge2win

bigge2win

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Put him in the same bucket as Brad Boxberger and Shae Simmons as emerging Wade Davis and Dellin Betances clones, but jury is still out on Giles, Box, and Shae

#15 The Dirtdog

The Dirtdog

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

View Postmtw02, on 01 July 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostCAT, on 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postmtw02, on 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

Its not a ridiculous question.

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header.  In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

Ok man.  You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom.  People like you amaze me.  I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.  

*****

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs.  Cue up the fire sale.  If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtrader...nathan-papelbon
Just ignore that poster, biggest troll on these boards.  Only posts trying to insult people, very clearly has a serious inferiority complex.

A normal person would have responded that there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with him and it looks like the situation just never called for him this weekend, pretty standard.

#16 bradwatson

bradwatson

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Seems like the clear cut favorite for closer if/when Paps is moved. Stashed him today in a fairly competitive closers league.
12 team dynasty league with contracts up to 5 years. 5x5 H2H (R,HR,RBI,SB,OPS,S,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS). Keep as many players as wanted with max cap of $260. All free agents are $1

C: Salvador Perez ($4 - 2 years)
1B: Abreu ($29 - 2 years)
2B: Rendon ($1 - 2 years)
3B: Encarnacion ($3 - 2 years)
SS: Dee Gordon ($6 - 1 year)
OF: Gomez ($3 - 2 years)
OF: Bryce ($13 - 4 years)
OF: Springer ($1 - 2 years)
UTIL: Pujols ($32 - 2 years)
BN: Holliday ($15 - 2 years), Arenado ($1 - 2 years)
DL: Myers ($3 - 4 years)
NA: Baez ($19 - 2 years), Sano ($3 - 2 years)

SP: Yu ($18 - 2 years), Strasburg ($7 - 4 years), Verlander ($23 - 2 years), Gio ($3 - 2 years), Anibal ($21 - 1 year), Liriano ($5 - 2 years), Wheeler ($1 - 2 years), Bauer (FA)
RP: Uehara ($1 - 2 years), Holland ($1 - 2 years), K-Rod (FA), Britton (FA), Giles (FA), Quackenbush (FA)
DL: Matt Moore ($12 - 2 years)

#17 dinhead

dinhead

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

#18 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,570 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

 dinhead, on 28 July 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

2 closers have already been moved no rumors really swirling... plus even if Paps gets traded theres no guarantee this guy gets the job.... he's a long shot to get even 8 or 9 saves ROS.

#19 young dude

young dude

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

What a waste of talent.
I HIR 100% with good quality.  I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave.  Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it.  I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :)  Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#20 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle, WA

Posted Yesterday, 11:37 AM

View Postyoung dude, on 29 July 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

What a waste of talent.

Translation: You picked him up on your fantasy team hoping Papelbon would be traded, now you're butt hurt it seems unlikely.

A lot of us grabbed him hoping for the same - but has nothing to do with a waste of talent. A waste of talent is someone with great tools that just doesn't get it, or their personal life interferes frequently with their life as a professional athlete. Giles isn't remotely a waste of talent - he's got great stuff and is pitching outstanding. He obviously is not going to close over Papelbon.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users