43 replies to this topic

#1 BackwardsKRay

BackwardsKRay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

Aside from giving up a dinger in his debut, this kid has been lights out, striking out 50% of the batters he's faced in the early going. Small sample size, but he has the pedigree and is definitely worth monitoring in a thin Phillies bullpen if you're looking for ratio help or are in a holds league.

12-Team daily H2H dynasty (three N/A slots and three D/L slots):

C Yasmani Grandal
1B Jose Abreu
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Adrian Beltre
SS Mookie Betts
OF Mike Trout
OF Andrew McCutchen
OF Yasiel Puig
Util Curtis Granderson
Bench 2B/3B Luis Valbuena, 3B/OF Ryan Zimmerman, OF Jorge Soler, OF Gregor Blanco
DL Paul Goldschmidt

SP Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright, Jake Arrieta, Wade Davis, Aaron Sanchez
P Sean Doolittle, Kenley Jansen, Dellin Betances, Ken Giles, John Holdzkom
Bench SP Alex Wood
DL Jose Fernandez

#2 JerZee

JerZee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

Could be Paps successor. Love the kid glad to see the Phil turn the page and give the kid a shot
  • 96mnc likes this

#3 Gryfter

Gryfter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Papelbon to the ChiSox...?
(2) 14 team 0.5 PPR:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Eddie Lacy, Darren McFaddden
WR: Dez Bryant, Roddy White, Keenan Allen
TE: Travis Kelce
FLEX: Kendall Wright
K: Steven Hauschka
DST: Detroit
Bench: James Starks, Markus Wheaton, Joique Bell, Jeremy Hill, Lorenzo Taliaferro

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Matt Forte, Ben Tate
WR: Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb
TE: Larry Donnell
FLEX: Steve Smith
K: Dan Bailey
DST: Buffalo
Bench: Isaiah Crowell, Joique Bell, Bishop Sankey, Dwayne Allen, Donald Brown
RES: Josh Gordon

#4 spaghetti

spaghetti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Could be another Davis/Betances for ratios and K help. Thinking about stashing him if Papelbon gets traded next month. I am worried about his walk rate though. It was horrendous (high 5s to 6s BB/9) in the minors until this year. But, from what it appears, someone in AA tweaked his mechanics and improved his command. Hopefully, he can sustain it.

#5 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Papelbon to the ChiSox...?

The W Sox will be selling. Also, they dealt Reed in the off season because they figured they could find someone random to replace him. Jones and Lindstrom both got hurt. I doubt they do a complete 180 a trade for an overpaid aging closer, especially given that they are 400 games out of first
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#6 cizastro

cizastro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

It's somebody to keep an eye on for sure. At this point, he walks way too many guys for me to take a flier on him. If he can get his walk rate down, he has some serious potential. Even this season with his improved walk rate it's still high. One bad pitch with extra guys you put on base due to free passes is a recipe for some disastrous outings.

#7 mtw02

mtw02

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Why didnt he pitch this weekend??

#8 CAT

CAT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

#9 mtw02

mtw02

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

???

Unless Ryne Sandberg is posting on these boards, I don't see how you'd expect an answer to this question.

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

Its not a ridiculous question.

Edited by mtw02, 30 June 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#10 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

???

ahahahah zing! Easily one of the top 5 responses I've ever seen on here (insert clapping .gif)
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#11 Crestor20

Crestor20

Triple-A

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

A reliever not pitching in 3 games is news?

#12 CAT

CAT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

???

Oooor someone here follows them closely and read the twitter feeds or watched the game and heard somethinf about usage or injury.

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header. In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

#13 mtw02

mtw02

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

???

It is a ridiculous question, because it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a relief pitcher not to pitch on a weekend, even one with a double header. In fact it boggles my mind why anyone would even wonder about such a thing.

Ok man. You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom. People like you amaze me. I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs. Cue up the fire sale. If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtrader...nathan-papelbon

#14 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Put him in the same bucket as Brad Boxberger and Shae Simmons as emerging Wade Davis and Dellin Betances clones, but jury is still out on Giles, Box, and Shae

#15 The Dirtdog

The Dirtdog

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

???

Ok man. You are the genius. Thanks for the wisdom. People like you amaze me. I hope these forums make you feel better about yourself.

Anyway, the Phillies are saying anyone is up for grabs. Cue up the fire sale. If you are speculating saves, I can see them dumping the PapSmear in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be shocked to see Giles get a shot to close.

http://www.mlbtrader...nathan-papelbon

Just ignore that poster, biggest troll on these boards. Only posts trying to insult people, very clearly has a serious inferiority complex.

A normal person would have responded that there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with him and it looks like the situation just never called for him this weekend, pretty standard.
  • poopdungbeatle, FouLLine, baltimore_boy and 1 other like this

#16 bradwatson

bradwatson

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Seems like the clear cut favorite for closer if/when Paps is moved. Stashed him today in a fairly competitive closers league.
12 team dynasty league with contracts up to 5 years. 5x5 H2H (R,HR,RBI,SB,OPS,S,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS). Keep as many players as wanted with max cap of $260. All free agents are $1

C: Salvador Perez ($4 - 2 years)
1B: Abreu ($29 - 2 years)
2B: Rendon ($1 - 2 years)
3B: Encarnacion ($3 - 2 years)
SS: Dee Gordon ($6 - 1 year), Baez ($19 - 2 years)
OF: Gomez ($3 - 2 years)
OF: Bryce ($13 - 4 years)
OF: Springer ($1 - 2 years)
UTIL: Pujols ($32 - 2 years)
BN: Holliday ($15 - 2 years)
DL: Myers ($3 - 4 years)
NA: Addison Russell (FA), Sano ($3 - 2 years)

SP: Yu ($18 - 2 years), Strasburg ($7 - 4 years), Zimmermann ($9 - 2 years), Gio ($3 - 2 years), Anibal ($21 - 1 year), Liriano ($5 - 2 years), Wheeler ($1 - 2 years), Fiers (FA), Wada (FA)
RP: Uehara ($1 - 2 years), Holland ($1 - 2 years), K-Rod (FA), Britton (FA), Glen Perkins ($6 - 1 year)
DL: Matt Moore ($12 - 2 years)

#17 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

#18 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,895 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Bad thing is that Paps might not get traded and giles would just be setup man since the main team that need a closer or bullpen help made trades already and Paps option is making teams not want to trade for him.

2 closers have already been moved no rumors really swirling... plus even if Paps gets traded theres no guarantee this guy gets the job.... he's a long shot to get even 8 or 9 saves ROS.

#19 young dude

young dude

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

What a waste of talent.
I HIR 100% with good quality. I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave. Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it. I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :) Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#20 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

What a waste of talent.

Translation: You picked him up on your fantasy team hoping Papelbon would be traded, now you're butt hurt it seems unlikely.

A lot of us grabbed him hoping for the same - but has nothing to do with a waste of talent. A waste of talent is someone with great tools that just doesn't get it, or their personal life interferes frequently with their life as a professional athlete. Giles isn't remotely a waste of talent - he's got great stuff and is pitching outstanding. He obviously is not going to close over Papelbon.
  • Zumayaaaa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users