45 replies to this topic

#1 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

So which rookies are YOU feeling are going to make the biggest impacts right off the bat?

#2 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'd say Bishop Sankey is the obvious choice as most likely to make the biggest impact.  He's going to be the main guy, so unless he totally blows it (which I suppose could happen) he's going to get 20 + carries.  Just based on pure opportunity alone, he's the rookie that makes the biggest impact right off the bat.  

I also really think that Sammy Watkins lives up to his hype.  He's just so talented.  Manuel scares me a bit, but if Matt Leinart could make it in the league for a bit and have fantasy relevant WR's (Boldin and Fitzgerald) why can't Manuel?
Dynasty 12 Team PPR League. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, D/ST, K
QB - Matt Ryan
QB - Blake Bortles
RB - Zac Stacy
RB - Joquie Bell
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
RB - Ahmad Bradshaw
RB - Benny Cunningham
RB - Christine Michael
RB - James White
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
TE - Jason Witten
K - Adam Vinateri
D/ST - Houston

#3 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Sankey has the biggest short term opportunity but I don't like his long term value as much as a few of the other RBs. I'm still on the fence with most of these rookie runners, though, so a lot could change in preseason.

I think Watkins, Evans, and Cooks are the best rookie values and they have the highest ceilings IMO. Watkins is a special talent.

#4 Hawkeye21

Hawkeye21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Freeman in Atlanta could have a good opportunity.  My gut says Sankey and Watkins though.  Last year my gut pick was Bernard and it paid off for me.

Edited by Hawkeye21, 05 July 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Jeremy Hill
Brandin Cooks
Jordan Matthews

And possibly JFF as a high reward backup QB

#6 BoilerUPTX

BoilerUPTX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Kelvin Benjamin is going to be Cam's guy in Carolina. He is already listed as the #1 WR on their depth chart. 6'-5" with massive hands. The two of them have already been working out together outside of OTAs.
16 Team 1 PPR / Dynasty

QB: Big Ben / Vick / Tuel
WR: Amendola / Wayne / Hunter / Kerley / DHB / Patton
RB: Blount / Sproles / Moreno / SJax / Quizz / OBGYN
TE: Witten / Moeaki

#7 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Lache Seastrunk. I think his floor is 1000 total yards.

#8 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

View Postowenmills, on 07 July 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Lache Seastrunk. I think his floor is 1000 total yards.
Owen, people will take you to task here for the utter misuse of terms like "floor," ceiling," "total yards" (as distinguished from rushing, receiving and/or return yards), and the like, but I appreciate your style: Fozzy and Lache as your starting backs.

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostBoilerUPTX, on 07 July 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Kelvin Benjamin is going to be Cam's guy in Carolina. He is already listed as the #1 WR on their depth chart. 6'-5" with massive hands. The two of them have already been working out together outside of OTAs.
I'm actually liking Benjamin this year. I see Carolina's defense still being solid but I think they'll need to pass more in order to keep up. And I do believe Benjamin will see a lot of targets. Maybe like AJ Green did in his first year with Cinci.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#10 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostRyan81, on 07 July 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

I'm actually liking Benjamin this year. I see Carolina's defense still being solid but I think they'll need to pass more in order to keep up. And I do believe Benjamin will see a lot of targets. Maybe like AJ Green did in his first year with Cinci.
All of this is truly conceivable given how little talent resides in Cam's receivers this season. Watching Benjamin's tape, however, is a bit concerning. Why was he routinely lined up 3 or so yards off the line of scrimmage? Why is he so slow to get up to speed at the start of his routes? And, why, on jump balls is he so often failing to high center his hands? Absent a lot of improvement relatively quickly this guy concerns me. Maybe I overly worry for there are so few receiving alternatives on this team, but the more I watch Benjamin the less I like his prospects.

#11 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostOl Blues, on 07 July 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

All of this is truly conceivable given how little talent resides in Cam's receivers this season. Watching Benjamin's tape, however, is a bit concerning. Why was he routinely lined up 3 or so yards off the line of scrimmage? Why is he so slow to get up to speed at the start of his routes? And, why, on jump balls is he so often failing to high center his hands? Absent a lot of improvement relatively quickly this guy concerns me. Maybe I overly worry for there are so few receiving alternatives on this team, but the more I watch Benjamin the less I like his prospects.
I'll be honest, I have little to no knowledge of Benjamin so far. I don't watch college ball and haven't been keeping up with how he's doing in camp. I just know he's tall and his price is probably going to be cheap which is what interests me.

He's going to be the WR1 on his team. And at his price, that's going to catch my eye come draft day.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#12 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostRyan81, on 07 July 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

I'll be honest, I have little to no knowledge of Benjamin so far. I don't watch college ball and haven't been keeping up with how he's doing in camp. I just know he's tall and his price is probably going to be cheap which is what interests me.

He's going to be the WR1 on his team. And at his price, that's going to catch my eye come draft day.
Maybe. It's equally conceivable that Olsen, the RBBC and Cotchery are the first 3 options in the passing game. I don't think we will know until we see these guys in pads.

#13 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Just because a guy is big and SHOULD dominate smaller corners doesn't mean he will.  There are a lot of holes in KB's game.  Limas Sweed was also a big guy who was suppose to dominate smaller DB's.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
TE's-Julius Thomas, Dennis Pitta
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Daryl Washington, Bobby Wagner
DB's-Reshad Jones, Tyvon Branch

#14 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Benjamin seems to be a pretty polarizing figure right now in the fantasy community. I'm still on the fence and look forward to seeing him in preseason. He clearly has the physical tools to succeed. I think it's a good sign that he's been working out with Cam, Cobb, and Torrey at the Under Armour training facility.

Regardless of what I see in preseason, though, I'll be hard pressed to consider him in the same tier as the top rookie WRs for dynasty formats.

#15 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Watkins will be great right from the start. No explanation really needed there.
I do like Hyde and Freeman. I would be all over those two at their repsective prices.
Bridgewater will be a QB1 this year IMO. Maybe in the lower group with Kaep and Wilson but he will be there.
I would stay away from Allen Robinson and Eric Ebron at thier current price.
14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr
RB- Martin, Gio, Pierre, DMC, Bryce, Dunbar, Stewart, Riddick.
WR- Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Kenny Britt, Mike Williams, Brian Quick, Marquess Wilson
TE- Gronk, Reed,CJF
DT- Sen'Derrick Marks
LB-Mosley, Shazier
CB- Justin Gilbert
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, KHunter, Alonso, Gordon, DWashington

#16 Aaron Hernandez

Aaron Hernandez

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Watkins
Hill
Freeman

#17 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Coaching, coaching, and coaching.  Jimbo Fisher doesn't care about WRs or throwing the ball.  He's slowly moving that direction though, but they don't have a talented enough coaching staff to work with these young WRs because that wasn't the direction he wanted to go with the offense until Winston started showing he can very effectively throw the ball this year.  

4 star recruit Kenny Shaw - Undrafted into the NFL.  4 star recruit Rodney Smith - Undrafted into the NFL.  Not to mention all the other high WR recruits they've had that didn't even make it to the show and only KB was able to work through that horrible coaching to actually get drafted into the NFL.

I won't say he's not raw, cause he is.  His 3 years of college at Florida State to me is basically like a 2 week rookie mini camp in the NFL.  That's why he came in and understood... damn, I didn't learn anything, and has been working hard with Cam in the offseason since.  

He's not going to be great his first year and we probably won't see his full potential until around year 3, but with that said I can easily see 50/725/7 from this guy which IMO is gonna exceed just about every other rookie WR being drafted wayy ahead of him.  I think only Sankey is gonna rival those numbers and the opportunity cost is a ridiculous bargain here.  

Don't forget he's now got Ricky Proehl (WR coach) and Mike Shula (OC) to work with him.  The same 2 guys that rejuvinated Steve Smith after his "end of the road 2010 season".  He went from 550 yards to 1400 and most think they were a huge part in that.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares, 08 July 2014 - 06:06 PM.

2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#18 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostDreams And Dwightmares, on 08 July 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Coaching, coaching, and coaching.  Jimbo Fisher doesn't care about WRs or throwing the ball.  He's slowly moving that direction though, but they don't have a talented enough coaching staff to work with these young WRs because that wasn't the direction he wanted to go with the offense until Winston started showing he can very effectively throw the ball this year.  

4 star recruit Kenny Shaw - Undrafted into the NFL.  4 star recruit Rodney Smith - Undrafted into the NFL.  Not to mention all the other high WR recruits they've had that didn't even make it to the show and only KB was able to work through that horrible coaching to actually get drafted into the NFL.

I won't say he's not raw, cause he is.  His 3 years of college at Florida State to me is basically like a 2 week rookie mini camp in the NFL.  That's why he came in and understood... damn, I didn't learn anything, and has been working hard with Cam in the offseason since.  

He's not going to be great his first year and we probably won't see his full potential until around year 3, but with that said I can easily see 50/725/7 from this guy which IMO is gonna exceed just about every other rookie WR being drafted wayy ahead of him.  I think only Sankey is gonna rival those numbers and the opportunity cost is a ridiculous bargain here.  

Don't forget he's now got Ricky Proehl (WR coach) and Mike Shula (OC) to work with him.  The same 2 guys that rejuvinated Steve Smith after his "end of the road 2010 season".  He went from 550 yards to 1400 and most think they were a huge part in that.

Do you think the Steve Smith resurgence could have POSSIBLY been attributed to the change in QB play?  In 2010, the Panthers starting QB's were Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore and Brian St. Pierre.  Then in 2011 they started Cam for the full 16 games.  I think that may have had something to do with Smiff producing high numbers again.  Probably just a little more so than Ricky Proehl's guiding hand.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
K's-Steven Hauschka

#19 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostAlfonz289, on 08 July 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Do you think the Steve Smith resurgence could have POSSIBLY been attributed to the change in QB play?  In 2010, the Panthers starting QB's were Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore and Brian St. Pierre.  Then in 2011 they started Cam for the full 16 games.  I think that may have had something to do with Smiff producing high numbers again.  Probably just a little more so than Ricky Proehl's guiding hand.

It is your right to believe whatever you want.  He also had Jake Delhomme the year before that, where he also had a sub 1000 yard season.  

He had the 2nd best season of his career (fantasy points) with a rookie QB who was extremely raw at the QB position and only had 1 full season as a starter in college where he threw for 2800 passing yards.  He comes into the NFL and immediately throws for 4k when no one really expected much of him.  You're probably lying if you say you drafted him and you don't play in a dynasty league or a keeper of some form.

You can find him down at #253 overall (QB #29), but I'm sure at least 6 of you in this thread snagged him cause of course you knew it was gonna happen:  http://sports.espn.g...2K11ranksTop300

I remember in 2011 Steve Smith, on the Fantasy Focus podcast, told Matthew Berry HIMSELF not to draft him in fantasy football leagues cause he didn't think he'd ever see fantasy relevance again while in Carolina.

But if you expected Cam Newton to come into the NFL, break every rookie and first 2 year QB records previously set by Peyton Manning and don't believe in coaching, then cool.  To each their own.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares, 08 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#20 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostDreams And Dwightmares, on 08 July 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

View PostAlfonz289, on 08 July 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

It is your right to believe whatever you want.  He also had Jake Delhomme the year before that, where he also had a sub 1000 yard season.  

He had the 2nd best season of his career (fantasy points) with a rookie QB who was extremely raw at the QB position and only had 1 full season as a starter in college where he threw for 2800 passing yards.  He comes into the NFL and immediately throws for 4k when no one really expected much of him.  You're probably lying if you say you drafted him and you don't play in a dynasty league or a keeper of some form.

You can find him down at #253 overall (QB #29), but I'm sure at least 6 of you in this thread snagged him cause of course you knew it was gonna happen:  http://sports.espn.g...2K11ranksTop300

I remember in 2011 Steve Smith, on the Fantasy Focus podcast, told Matthew Berry HIMSELF not to draft him in fantasy football leagues cause he didn't think he'd ever see fantasy relevance again while in Carolina.

But if you expected Cam Newton to come into the NFL, break every rookie and first 2 year QB records previously set by Peyton Manning and don't believe in coaching, then cool.  To each their own.

I'm just saying that if Proehl was some sort of WR whisperer in the same way people describe Trestman to QB's, surely he could have gotten a little more out of Lafell.  I've never heard anyone say you should look out for what's his name at WR this year because he's being coached up by Ricky Proehl.

QB's-Jay Cutler
K's-Steven Hauschka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users