57 replies to this topic

#1 FaubDawg

FaubDawg

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Pretty much the consensus #1 defense, but I'm curious how early everyone is willing to take them.

Key losses: Bryant and Clemons from the d-line.
Key gains: Percy Harvin on special teams.

Current FFC ADP of 90 (standard) / 94 (PPR).

#2 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

15th round.
  • lolcopter, falcons, AshesAndLaughter and 2 others like this

#3 cacksman

cacksman

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I'm a diehard Seahawks fan and think their D will still be tops in the league next year, but just don't see the value in drafting them in the 7th-8th round, when I can stream defenses or possibly land a top 5 defense in the last round of the draft(it happens every year).

#4 Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

In my money league last year, here are the 9 other players drafted in the 10th round when the Seahawks got drafted.

Kenny Britt, Anquan Boldin, Rashard Mendehall, Golden Tate, Justin Blackmon, Antonio Gates, Chris Givens, Matthew Stafford, Greg Olsen.

I know you hit some gems and you hit some duds at this point, but I don't see how this round would've been "wasted" taking a safe option that you HAVE to start. Ok you can stream defenses, but you're also battling other players doing the exact same thing which means you either waste your wavier order getting a defense or you just hope there's a good matchup in free agents after Wednesday morning.

Streaming defenses is the popular thing to do but I don't see why people are attacked for taking defense first since you have to start them in most leagues.
  • timexsocialclub, GriffeySwag and SkinsChargersFan like this

#5 Grim

Grim

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

"Experts" seem to like Seattle as the #1 defense, but I'm not convinced with the losses of personnel and the fact that everyone is going to come out gunning for them that they can once again be the top defense. Look at the tough schedule and it pretty much makes the decision for me especially for where I would have to take them. They aren't taking anyone by surprise this year, and I bet they disappoint, so I choose to grab a sleeper defense like NO, GB or SD and or just stream which can be a pain if you have others trying to do the same thing.

#6 Grim

Grim

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

In my money league last year, here are the 9 other players drafted in the 10th round when the Seahawks got drafted.

Kenny Britt, Anquan Boldin, Rashard Mendehall, Golden Tate, Justin Blackmon, Antonio Gates, Chris Givens, Matthew Stafford, Greg Olsen.

I know you hit some gems and you hit some duds at this point, but I don't see how this round would've been "wasted" taking a safe option that you HAVE to start. Ok you can stream defenses, but you're also battling other players doing the exact same thing which means you either waste your wavier order getting a defense or you just hope there's a good matchup in free agents after Wednesday morning.

Streaming defenses is the popular thing to do but I don't see why people are attacked for taking defense first since you have to start them in most leagues.

In one of my leagues somebody took Seattle in the 6th round. You are right 10th round is doable, but are you willing to sacrifice depth or even another impact skill position starter?

#7 lightweight3

lightweight3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

It all depends on whose available at the 7th or 8th round. However, if the key guys I'm targeting are gone I have no problem taking them in the 7th round. Especially since (for the time being) Percy Harvin is healthy and will be returning punts and kicks.

#8 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I would absolutely love to play in leagues with those of you advocating taking a team defense anywhere before the next to last round. Unless you play in a 2 defense league, or in a 30-32 team league, why would you ever take a team D in the middle rounds?
  • Dislimb likes this
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#9 FaubDawg

FaubDawg

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

I would absolutely love to play in leagues with those of you advocating taking a team defense anywhere before the next to last round. Unless you play in a 2 defense league, or in a 30-32 team league, why would you ever take a team D in the middle rounds?

This should be obvious. Everyone fields a team defense. If you pick the best team defense, you have a competitive advantage over your opponents. Last season, for instance, the Seattle Seahawks DEF posted a VBD of 85. So compared to the guy who started the 10th, 11th, and 12th best DEFs, you scored approximately 5 more points per game than he did.

This is the same difference between you having LeSean McCoy as your RB1 and him having Fred Jackson.

So maybe hold off on the "I would love to play in leagues with you morons" stuff. Defensive performance is difficult to predict, yes, so the best course of action USUALLY is to ignore team defense until the end.

But if you think you've got a winner . . .
  • Robrain, jstep13, timexsocialclub and 2 others like this

#10 FaubDawg

FaubDawg

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

15th round.

A man of principle :)

#11 lightweight3

lightweight3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

This should be obvious. Everyone fields a team defense. If you pick the best team defense, you have a competitive advantage over your opponents. Last season, for instance, the Seattle Seahawks DEF posted a VBD of 85. So compared to the guy who started the 10th, 11th, and 12th best DEFs, you scored approximately 5 more points per game than he did.

This is the same difference between you having LeSean McCoy as your RB1 and him having Fred Jackson.

So maybe hold off on the "I would love to play in leagues with you morons" stuff. Defensive performance is difficult to predict, yes, so the best course of action USUALLY is to ignore team defense until the end.

But if you think you've got a winner . . .

This^. The same logic was applied to taking Jimmy graham in the end of the second round last year.

Edited by lightweight3, 13 July 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#12 GriffeySwag

GriffeySwag

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Can't hate on people who take Seattle early, but there are a few defenses that I absolutely love that will be available beyond Round 10.

#13 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

No, no it is not.

I stream defenses every year and during the season when I average how many points I get from my streamin' Def, I tend to score as a top 3 defense for the season-to-date rankings. Considering I take my defense in the second to last round, that is much better value than Seattle in the 8th round.

However, an argument can be made that it would be nice to grab Seattle and "set it and forget it." That is very valuable.
12-team PPR; 6th most points
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Shane Vereen
RB: Rashad Jennings
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Julio Jones
Flex: TY Hilton (traded Asiata)
Flex: Ahmad Bradshaw
TE: Larry Donnell (FA)
Def: Patriots

Bench:
RBs: Chris Johnson, Toby Gerhart, Jerrick McKinnon (FA), Alfred Blue (FA)
WRs: Roddy White
TE: Jordan Cameron (traded Knile Davis)

#14 stateball2000

stateball2000

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm a diehard Seahawks fan and think their D will still be tops in the league next year, but just don't see the value in drafting them in the 7th-8th round, when I can stream defenses or possibly land a top 5 defense in the last round of the draft(it happens every year).

Edited by stateball2000, 13 July 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#15 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Every year there's a Def/ST that steps up and does great, last year Carolina was undrafted in my 12 team league. Knowing that teams like that pop up every year, and that streaming can be very effective, just kills the value of reaching for a Seattle early.
10 team standard
Kaepernick
Lynch Morris Spiller Joique C Mike
Dez Patterson Garcon Sanders Benjamin Gordon
Gronk Olsen
Posluszny Kendricks Greenway D Johnson(IR) Shazier
H Smith M Burnett
JPP

#16 stateball2000

stateball2000

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Sorry about above quote. I play in a league that you pay $5 for every FA pickup and trades. This really doesn't allow to stream defences each week looking for that diamond in the rough. You need to reach to try and get a " safe" pick even if it is early. How early would you all pick a defence now?

#17 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Im playing in more and more leagues where a sizeable chunk of people are streaming defenses. This has made it harder to stream defenses.

Also I think it depends on waiver settings.

Streaming is a killer if you dont use inverse order of standings. And even if you do, if you are doing well and other people are streaming you are rarely going to land the best D's for that week

Im not going to go too early, but I am considering pulling the trigger between rounds 10-12 on one of the better defenses this year, as I think it will give me more of an advantage week to week on the waiver wire.

#18 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Sorry about above quote. I play in a league that you pay $5 for every FA pickup and trades. This really doesn't allow to stream defences each week looking for that diamond in the rough. You need to reach to try and get a " safe" pick even if it is early. How early would you all pick a defence now?

That would change how I select a Def, but not when.
10 team standard
Kaepernick
Lynch Morris Spiller Joique C Mike
Dez Patterson Garcon Sanders Benjamin Gordon
Gronk Olsen
Posluszny Kendricks Greenway D Johnson(IR) Shazier
H Smith M Burnett
JPP

#19 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Look, even Matthew Berry knows not to draft a defense until the last 2 rounds......
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#20 FaubDawg

FaubDawg

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

No, no it is not.

I stream defenses every year and during the season when I average how many points I get from my streamin' Def, I tend to score as a top 3 defense for the season-to-date rankings. Considering I take my defense in the second to last round, that is much better value than Seattle in the 8th round.

However, an argument can be made that it would be nice to grab Seattle and "set it and forget it." That is very valuable.

While that may work for you, I don't play in any leagues were defensive streamers (and I tend to be one) are allowed to pull that s#@%. As soon as some DEF establishes themselves as a top 10 option, they get picked up and kept for the rest of the season.

Besides that, it doesn't change my point. Last year, the difference between the Seahawks D and the Saints D was the difference between LeSean McCoy and Fred Jackson. You're kicking yourself in the rear if you ignore the advantage a top defense gives you (not to mention the roster space, waiver priority, and FAAB you burn streaming).

The question is at what price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users