Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2014 MLB All-Star Game: Home Run Derby ThreadWho wins?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

What's everyone's thoughts on the Derby this year? You like the lineup? Who's your pick? Other thoughts?

Overall, I'm kinda disappointed - I really wanted to see Jose Abreu, Nelson Cruz bombs are jaw dropping, Springer comes completely out of his shoes, sucks the likes of Gattis and EE got hurt - but who knows if they would have done it. Trout and Goldy would have been fun When I think of HR derby guys I wanna see it doesn't have to do with the most HRs, just dudes with a frightening tape measure clinic in BP. While there years haven't been great Chris Davis and Pedro Alvarez take a mean BP. Chris Carter isn't a very good player, but damn he can smoke some moonballs in BP.

Super pumped to see Stanton, obv Tulo and Bautista were captains and they'll be good contestants. Cespedes put on a great show last year and I think it'll come down to him Vs Stanton. Todd Frazier is my sleeper, dude has insane pop - seen him hit one handed HRs, broken bat HRs, and even a bomb on a ball that bounced. As a Puig fantasy owner I'm not stoked he's in the derby, but I think he'll be a blast to watch.

I get Bats selecting the hometown boy Dozier, but I mean really? Outside of Minnesota that's a snoozer pick, and I think Arcia would be a far better homer pick in regards to the derby. Adam Jones is a good hitter, but I don't see him making much noise in the derby. Donaldson may make some noise, but I don't know if the HR derby is a good thing after his last 5/6 weeks - considering a lot of his struggles are related to him falling in love with the long ball. Justin Morneau may have won in '08, has had a nice little comeback year but he doesn't interest me at all. Pick may partially have a lot to do with him and Tulo being teammates and that Morneau would be very well received in Minnesota.

In the last couple weeks there hasn't been a lot of hitters looking worse at the plate than Josh Donaldson and Jose Bautista, I'm not getting into what their overall numbers are(they're great), but as someone that watches a good share of their ABs they're struggling. Bats timing is just way off since returning from being out a week, and Donaldson has been struggling hard for 5 weeks. So as a guy that owns them in fantasy I'm not overly pumped they're involved. Yasiel Puig seems to be nursing 439029 different nagging injuries, power hasn't been there last month+ - another name as a fantasy owner I'm not pumped to see involved.

#2 CAT

CAT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

HRD is so boring, IMO.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long.  I don't think I've ever made it to the end.  I think I usually watch the first round and that's about it.  Definitely not going to get into analysis of the selections, lol.  It's not nearly that interesting to me.  Should be fun to watch Stanton, though.

#3 tsh00k

tsh00k

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, Rockies, & Beer.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

1 name

Justin Morneau

Dude got freaking robbed of an All-Star nod and is going to impress his old hometown crowd.
16 Team Dynasty - PPR
QB- Cam Newton
WR- Demaryius Thomas
WR- Julio Jones
WR- Jordy Nelson
RB- Alfred Morris
RB- Marshawn Lynch
TE- Julius Thomas
FLEX- Pierre Thomas
K- Matt Prater
DEF- Pittsburgh

#4 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Todd Frazier

Mark it down now. Frazier will win it

#5 evillaw4eva

evillaw4eva

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Stanton. Obvi

#6 TribeFoo

TribeFoo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Stanton will be must-watch for me, but the event as a whole is so overblown and Berman just wears me down after awhile. No reason whatsoever it should take as long as a real game.
12-team 5x5 weekly dynasty/contract league

C - Joe Mauer
1B - Lucas Duda
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Kyle Seager
SS - J.J. Hardy
LF - Alex Gordon
CF - Carlos Gomez
RF - Jose Bautista
UTIL - Corey Dickerson
BN - Chris Davis, J.D. Martinez, Kole Calhoun

SP - Madison Bumgarner, Jon Lester, Zack Wheeler, Drew Smyly, Willy Peralta, Tanner Roark
RP - Greg Holland
BN - Kevin Gausman, Tim Lincecum, Andrew Heaney, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Hellickson
DL - Jose Fernandez

#7 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Chris Carter would have been fun to watch in the HR derby

#8 LIONS FAN-dsn

LIONS FAN-dsn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Obviously Stanton is the one we've all been waiting for...  but 2 guys I think are some serious favorites are either of Bautista or Cespedes.  I picked Bautista to win it.
14 Team H2H Redraft League

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Anthony Rizzo
2B- Brian Dozier
3B- Chase Headley
SS- Javier Baez
OF- Alex Gordon
OF- Billy Hamilton
OF- Jose Bautista
Util- Gregor Polanco

Bench: Shin-Soo Choo, Kolten Wong, Troy Tulowitzki-DL Edwin Encarnacion-DL

SP: Julio Teheran, Corey Kluber, Dallas Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, Jesse Hahn, Jimmy Nelson

RP: David Robertson, Mark Melancon, Jenry Mejia

#9 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostStickfig13, on 11 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Todd Frazier

Mark it down now. Frazier will win it

I'm thinking I'll be on board. Waiting for the opening lines to be released but if he's as undervalued as I expect he will be my bet. Stanton will obviously be mad-overrated; anyone can win the Derby so don't pay for the favorite. Cespedes will be expensive as well.

Frazier is a good pick.
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#10 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Derby is usually boring, the rosters suck, it's way too long, and I don't like the format.  Only guy worth seeing is Stanton.  Much more interested in the actual ASG

#11 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Does everyone complaining about the Derby format know that the format this year is different and they tried making it shorter?
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#12 CAT

CAT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 11 July 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Does everyone complaining about the Derby format know that the format this year is different and they tried making it shorter?

Gosh I hope so.  And hopefully Berman is nowhere near a microphone.  Then, it might be tolerable.

#13 clamzoopa

clamzoopa

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

I know it can get easily overblown, but is anyone worried about Stanton's wrist acting up during/after this?

#14 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostCAT, on 11 July 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

Gosh I hope so.  And hopefully Berman is nowhere near a microphone.  Then, it might be tolerable.

I doubt it will end up shorter.  Just more in-between filler time for Chris Berman to drive people away in droves.  Actually Berman uses the derby hitting time as useless filler to interview who knows what boring ball player while the hitters get a little box in the corner.  I can't even bear the thought of watching that boring crapfest again.  When someone makes a internet video of just the hitters hitting maybe I'll check it out.  But my place is a Berman free zone from now on.

#15 vmo1059

vmo1059

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

The celeb softball game is much more entertaining.

#16 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 12 July 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

View PostCAT, on 11 July 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

I doubt it will end up shorter.  Just more in-between filler time for Chris Berman to drive people away in droves.  Actually Berman uses the derby hitting time as useless filler to interview who knows what boring ball player while the hitters get a little box in the corner.  I can't even bear the thought of watching that boring crapfest again.  When someone makes a internet video of just the hitters hitting maybe I'll check it out.  But my place is a Berman free zone from now on.
I agree completely. This will be as long and if not longer.
Football -  Yahoo - 10 Team Keeper(Keep 3) - H2H - PPR + 6pt Passing TDs (QB/WR/TE/RB/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K)

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
WR: Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Marques Colston, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon
RB: Giovani Bernard, Shane Vereen, Toby Gerhart, CJ Spiller, Pierre Thomas
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Streaming

Baseball - Yahoo - 12 team - H2H - 11 Cat(R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS/W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP)

Hitters
C Joe Mauer 1B Freddie Freeman 2B Daniel Murphy 3B Edwin Encarnacion SS Brock Holt IF Adam LaRouche OF1 Denard Span OF2 Melky Cabrera OF3 Nick Markakis OF4 Kole Calhoun Util Anthony Rendon
DL Michael Cuddyer, Everth Cabrera
Pitchers
SP: Félix Hernández, Zack Greinke, Johnny Cueto, Tanner Roark, Michael Pineda, James Paxton, Mike Fiers DL: Michael Wacha, Jacob DeGrom RP: Trevor Rosenthal, Greg Holland, Jonathan Papelbon, Joaquin Benoit, Jenry Mejia

#17 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Why does everyone hate Berman? I mean, isn't hearing "back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, GONE!" every single HR for every player delightful!

Seriously, at times I mute the TV but I still enjoy the Derby. I think its cool to see all the nuances of each stadium its in when the balls fly to different parts. Then to put in perspective how far those balls actually go.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#18 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

This year's participants:

AL:
Bautista
Cespedes
Jones
Dozier
Donaldson

NL:
Tulo
Stanton
Puig
Frazier
Morneau

Stanton is an obvious choice.  Puig and Cespedes love to put on shows and Cespedes made it look REALLY easy last year but it's tough to go back to back.

Baustita and Morneau have experience in the Derby.

Cespedes or Puig would be my choice!

Edited by ludawg23, 14 July 2014 - 08:29 AM.

12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Baez

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Hudson, McHugh, Worley
RP - Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

#19 Baloo

Baloo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

I'm going to put my money on Puig or Stanton. Adam Jones and Cespedes will be in the final rounds too. The rest of the guys outside of Joey Bats don't seem to profile to me as HR Derby winners.
Yahoo 12-Team H2H Cat Pro League
C McCann 1B Victor Martinez
2B Cano 3B Donaldson
SS Zobrist OF Brantley
OF Matt Kemp OF Kole Calhoun
UTIL Nolan Arenado UTIL Ben Revere
BN Khris Davis
SP Bumgarner, Gio Gonzalez, Wheeler, Kluber, Arrieta, Porcello, Tillman, Hughes, Tsuyoshi Wada
RP Zach Britton, Huston Street

#20 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

New format this year:

- 10 participants, five from each league. Each hitter gets seven outs in the first round, and the top three totals from each league advance.

- In the second round, we go to a bracket format. The No. 2 and No. 3 totals in each league from the first round face off, again with seven outs. The hitter with the highest first-round total in each league gets a bye through to the third round.

- In the third round, the winner of No. 2-No. 3 matchup faces the No. 1, seven outs each. That's the case for each league.

- In the finals, the winner of the AL bracket meets the winner of the NL bracket, again with seven outs for each.

12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Baez

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Hudson, McHugh, Worley
RP - Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users