RP - Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen, Zach Britton, Neftali Feliz

#2 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners are calling up infielder Chris Taylor.
Taylor, a fifth-round pick in 2012, owns a promising .328/.397/.497 batting line with five home runs and 14 stolen bases in 75 games this season at Triple-A Tacoma. The 23-year-old shortstop prospect probably isn't being promoted to sit on the bench, so this could mean a significant drop in playing time for the struggling Brad Miller. Taylor is worth a look in deep mixed leagues.

Miller to the bench?

minor league numbers..
http://www.thebaseba...=chris-taylor-6

#3 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners are calling up infielder Chris Taylor.
Taylor, a fifth-round pick in 2012, owns a promising .328/.397/.497 batting line with five home runs and 14 stolen bases in 75 games this season at Triple-A Tacoma. The 23-year-old shortstop prospect probably isn't being promoted to sit on the bench, so this could mean a significant drop in playing time for the struggling Brad Miller. Taylor is worth a look in deep mixed leagues.

Miller to the bench?

minor league numbers..
http://www.thebaseba...=chris-taylor-6

Or Miller on the trade block maybe. We heard Nick Franklin may be traded but maybe Miller goes instead.

#4 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,549 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Could be a useful MI, depending on where he bats in the lineup. He profiles as a table-setter near the top. Not much pop, but can get on base and steal a bag. I'm thinking at his peak he could be similar to Matt Carpenter, only with wheels. Right now, though, he'll probably be closer to Tommy La Stella, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Saw him in person a few times. Pretty good approach. Loves to go oppo.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 24 July 2014 - 03:41 PM.

• bigbossman likes this

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#5 bdsparty32

bdsparty32

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

I've been waiting for Seattle to call him up, I think he's one of the more underrated prospects in the minors. But do we know for sure that he's taking over for Miller, or is this just a temporary move to replace Willie Bloomquist, who just hit the DL, as the back up infielder?

#6 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

^ I don't know if he's taking over for Miller but he's in tonites lineup and batting 9th

#7 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Let's all remember guys. This is a Seattle Mariners hitting prospect. A.K.A. the kiss of death unless you are named Kyle Seager.
  • 2ndCitySox likes this

#8 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

He's going to start against southpaws while he's up, and Miller will start against righties mostly. Zduriencik went on the record to say it was a competition, so Taylor could earn more playing time by not sucking (and if Miller continues to bomb). Miller has more upside, but Taylor is an interesting guy for deeper leagues.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#9 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

He's going to start against southpaws while he's up, and Miller will start against righties mostly. Zduriencik went on the record to say it was a competition, so Taylor could earn more playing time by not sucking (and if Miller continues to bomb). Miller has more upside, but Taylor is an interesting guy for deeper leagues.

I love the idea of competitions. Make these young Mariners finally accountable rather then throwing Smoak out there for .220 avg .700 OPS's of GARBAGE for 2,000 AB's. <_<

#10 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

A Mariner hitting prospect. I think I'd rather not.

#11 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

I love the idea of competitions. Make these young Mariners finally accountable rather then throwing Smoak out there for .220 avg .700 OPS's of GARBAGE for 2,000 AB's. <_<

A .700 OPS at shortstop would be glorious at this point. But yes, I agree with the sentiment. Make these guys feel accountable and challenge them to work on their craft and improve at the highest level possible for them. Miller has fallen off the same cliff that Ackley and Franklin did -- the inability to adjust. It would be nice to see one of these guys finally reverse course and start improving again (I've already given up on Ackley, but maybe there's hope for Franklin or Miller). I hope like heck that Taylor pushes Miller and that they both earn more playing time.

Edited by Bodhizefa, 25 July 2014 - 09:37 AM.

"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#12 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Why do they call this kid up to be on the wrong side of a platoon? He should be getting every day at bats, in the majors or in AAA.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#13 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

Why do they call this kid up to be on the wrong side of a platoon? He should be getting every day at bats, in the majors or in AAA.

The official phrase now is The Mookie Treatment

Edited by deuce4off, 26 July 2014 - 10:14 PM.

• Posting In The Clutch likes this

I couldn't care less about your teams

#14 KC501

KC501

Double-A

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

Teams trying to make the playoffs are much more concerned with putting the optimal lineup out each day than delaying a rookies development by a few games.

Edited by KC501, 26 July 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#15 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Teams trying to make the playoffs are much more concerned with putting the optimal lineup out each day than delaying a rookies development by a few games.

Brad Miller and optimal don't go hand in hand. For all we know Taylor may be much better than Miller, but we won't know as long as he gets the Mookie Treatment.

#16 KC501

KC501

Double-A

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Brad Miller and optimal don't go hand in hand. For all we know Taylor may be much better than Miller, but we won't know as long as he gets the Mookie Treatment.

Giving up on miller already? Strong overreaction. Hes less than a year older than taylor and was a far superior hitter in the minors. Both have upside and both have downside. Might as well try to win games with the platoon advantage.

#17 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Giving up on miller already? Strong overreaction.

Your response is the strong overreaction. Never said I'm giving up on Miller, so don't twist words. I own the guy in my keeper league. But he's hitting .204. When you say "optimal lineup", you're assuming Miller is the better player at the moment. What I'm saying is, how the hell does anyone know if Taylor wouldn't give them their "optimal lineup" if he isn't given a chance? Believe me, I still have faith Miller will turn it around, maybe not this year, but at some point. He's hit extremely well at every level.

#18 KC501

KC501

Double-A

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Giving up on miller already? Strong overreaction.

Your response is the strong overreaction. Never said I'm giving up on Miller, so don't twist words. I own the guy in my keeper league. But he's hitting .204. When you say "optimal lineup", you're assuming Miller is the better player at the moment. What I'm saying is, how the hell does anyone know if Taylor wouldn't give them their "optimal lineup" if he isn't given a chance? Believe me, I still have faith Miller will turn it around, maybe not this year, but at some point. He's hit extremely well at every level.

And maybe miller will turn it around this year, but they'll lose too many games giving taylor the chance and miss the playoffs. There's risk with any choice. You ask how they know a platoon is optimal without giving taylor the chance? Well how do they know a platoon is optimal without giving a platoon the chance? You have two opposite handed hitters and Miller's splits haven't been that bad. Seems logical to me.

#19 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Started today against the right handed starting pitcher. 2-4 so far with an rbi double and a single.

Wish his playing time was more consistent, so fantasy players who are in desperate need of a SS can just plug him in.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#20 Low and Away

Low and Away

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I figure any SS the Mariners bring up is worth a speculative add. I mean what could go wrong in a dynasty. They have such a good track record developing prospects. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users