#1 Trader Mac

Trader Mac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Mizzou football and basketball, Stratomatic, reading

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Finally got the call up to pitch today with Peavy's trade.  He got off to a rough start in AAA, but pitched strong as of late.  As RW noted, he will need to pitch well to stay in the bigs.  I hope he can carry over his AAA success this year to the majors.
"The Rock says this, if the Rock hits you he'll kill you. If he misses, the wind behind the punch will give you pneumonia and you'll die anyway, so the choice is yours, jabroni."

#2 Trader Mac

Trader Mac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

No AW fans out there?  Off to a rough start so far.  Let's hope he can settle down for a few more innings at least.
"The Rock says this, if the Rock hits you he'll kill you. If he misses, the wind behind the punch will give you pneumonia and you'll die anyway, so the choice is yours, jabroni."

#3 ABITNYC

ABITNYC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I'm quite surprised more people aren't discussing this kid on the forums, but hey, Red Sox fans might be hibernating the rest of seasons. He might take some time to adjust, but I think he has a 2-3 rotation ceiling.

#4 Trader Mac

Trader Mac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostABITNYC, on 28 July 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm quite surprised more people aren't discussing this kid on the forums, but hey, Red Sox fans might be hibernating the rest of seasons. He might take some time to adjust, but I think he has a 2-3 rotation ceiling.

I hope you are right. We haven't seen success in the majors yet.  He faces the Yankees next which will be a tough challenge.

#5 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostTrader Mac, on 28 July 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I hope you are right. We haven't seen success in the majors yet.  He faces the Yankees next which will be a tough challenge.

Why would he be facing the Yankees?  Thought he was up for a spot start cause Workman had just pitched in Pawtucket and wasn't ready for yesterday's one.  Plan was for Webster to throw last night's game and then go back down and Workman be recalled.  Has something radically changed from yesterday?

#6 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Allen Webster walked five and allowed three hits but held the Rays to two runs over 5 1/3 innings to earn the win in his season debut Sunday.
Webster was recalled in the wake of the Jake Peavy trade, and he delivered in his first start of 2014. The right-hander wasn't dominant, but the only damage came on a two-run double by Desmond Jennings in the third inning. Webster likely earned another start with the good outing, and that should come next weekend against the Yankees.

He did throw more balls than strikes, so that's definitely not a plus. Only allowed 3 H and 2 ER, but 5 BB's. Maybe it was nerves, I don't know. His command in the minors this year appears to be better than last year.

The other thing is if Lester is traded, that would open up another spot in the rotation. Whether Workman or Ranaudo gets that spot, I'm not sure. I would think Webster would definitely stick in the rotation if Lester is indeed traded though.

Seems like Workman pitched Thursday at AAA and Ranaudo pitched Friday at AAA. Webster pitched last Monday, so the scheduling made sense for him to get the start on Sunday against the Rays.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894, 28 July 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#7 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostNYR Fan 116894, on 28 July 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Allen Webster walked five and allowed three hits but held the Rays to two runs over 5 1/3 innings to earn the win in his season debut Sunday.
Webster was recalled in the wake of the Jake Peavy trade, and he delivered in his first start of 2014. The right-hander wasn't dominant, but the only damage came on a two-run double by Desmond Jennings in the third inning. Webster likely earned another start with the good outing, and that should come next weekend against the Yankees.

He did throw more balls than strikes, so that's definitely not a plus. Only allowed 3 H and 2 ER, but 5 BB's. Maybe it was nerves, I don't know. His command in the minors this year appears to be better than last year.

The other thing is if Lester is traded, that would open up another spot in the rotation. Whether Workman or Ranaudo gets that spot, I'm not sure. I would think Webster would definitely stick in the rotation if Lester is indeed traded though.

Seems like Workman pitched Thursday at AAA and Ranaudo pitched Friday at AAA. Webster pitched last Monday, so the scheduling made sense for him to get the start on Sunday against the Rays.

Yep that was what Farell announced.  Webster was a fill-in for Workman.  Workman replaces Peavy just like De La Rosa replaced Doubront.

If Lester gets traded then either Webster is up to stay or possibly Renauldo comes up or the two get shuttled some the rest of the season.

Doubront is in the dog house ... err, bullpen, and Farell stated he won't be coming back out as a SP.  Especially since Doubront has had an endless hissy fit since being sent to the pen and has been demanding to be traded.  You'd think that if you had an ERA way over 5.00 you would just pitch more and belly ache less.  Sox look to move him quickly or perhaps just drop him so he looks to be no threat to any of the PawSox Prospects whether Webster or whoever.

#8 ABITNYC

ABITNYC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 28 July 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostTrader Mac, on 28 July 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Why would he be facing the Yankees?  Thought he was up for a spot start cause Workman had just pitched in Pawtucket and wasn't ready for yesterday's one.  Plan was for Webster to throw last night's game and then go back down and Workman be recalled.  Has something radically changed from yesterday?

Yes, looks like it's officially radically changed. Boston has no real plan this year...but again...I guess they get a free pass on being a mess this year

#9 Sternes

Sternes

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

I'm more of a Martell guy.
QB - Newton, Pryor
RB - T. Richardson, D. Murray, C. Ivory, P. Hillis, K. Robinson, A. Ellington, C. Ogbonnaya
WR - Marshall, M. Wallace, D. Thomas, TY Hilton
TE - Gates
K - Hauschka
DEF - Patriots

#10 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Allen Webster will get another start on Saturday versus the Yankees.

Webster earned another turn after holding the Rays to two runs over 5 1/3 frames on Sunday. "Everything points to Allen making that start. There's no plans right now to make any changes in our rotation," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. Webster will need to pitch well to retain his spot in the rotation, as Brandon Workman looms.

Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#11 Redsoxmaniac

Redsoxmaniac

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

This could be a sign that Lester may get traded. But also it could be pitching to the matchup. Yankees lefty-split lineups can be brutal, and although Workman had an okay game last time out, it might make more sense to nullify their lefties with Webster. Also, could also mean Workman might be in a trade.

#12 Trader Mac

Trader Mac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

"Nullify their lefties with Webster"?  Webster is a righty.  Does he pitch better against lefties?

#13 Trader Mac

Trader Mac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'm assuming that Webster benefits from Lester's trade and will stay in the rotation, right?

#14 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostTrader Mac, on 27 July 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

No AW fans out there?  Off to a rough start so far.  Let's hope he can settle down for a few more innings at least.

Nope, not a fan
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#15 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

He's doing his best Ricky Vaughn impersonation.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#16 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Noooooo!  Don't take him out!  Needed more walks!!
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I started him last year once. That was a mistake I've learned from.

#18 coleporter

coleporter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

He's not a Major League caliber pitcher. Hopefully John Henry's Checkbook will be used extensively in the off-season. Scherzer, Lester and Shields. Pick up two of them please.
C   Vogt
1B Jose Abreu
2B Altuve
3B Castellanos
SS Danny Santana
OF Puig
OF JD Martinez
Of Myers
UTL Ozuna

Bench:, Yan Gomes (7 Day DL), Calhoun, Baez
Multi-Position: Castellanos (OF, 3B), Santana (SS,OF), Vogt (C, 1B, OF) Baez (SS,2B)
SP: Alex Wood Teheran,  Arrieta, Wada, Harang, Carrasco . RP: Rosenthal,  Gregerson
DL: Doolittle, Goldschmidt

#19 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

View Postcoleporter, on 02 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

He's not a Major League caliber pitcher. Hopefully John Henry's Checkbook will be used extensively in the off-season. Scherzer, Lester and Shields. Pick up two of them please.

Then can only go after one.  Luxury tax stuff means they have a self-imposed limit.  Probably will be Shields cause he will be the cheapest of the three with less years in his contract.  Then a vet secondary pitcher on a real short contract probably.

I'm surprised Webster isn't down in Pawtucket already.  Figured the rotation would be Buchholz (groan), Joe Kelly, Workman, De La Rosa and Ranauldo.  Maybe they want to give Webster a few more chances regards his future though.

The pitching staff is pretty much going into a glorified equivalent of a theatre audition at this point.  "Who shall we cast in the role of a Red Sox pitcher?"  After today I wouldn't be surprised Webster gets the "don't call us, we'll call you" treatment.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 02 August 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#20 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

And thats not exactly Murders Row he was facing today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users