71 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob83

Jacob83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Browns coach Mike Pettine revealed that he went on YouTube to watch highlights of second-year WR Charles Johnson.

Johnson is a fantasy sleeper because he has the best combination of size and athleticism on Cleveland's wideout depth chart. "I went on YouTube and watched his Grand Valley (State) highlights. They were impressive," said Pettine. "... It’s worth taking a peek at. He’s explosive. He’s a guy that is deceptively fast. He doesn’t look like he’s covering a lot of ground but he is. I think his catch radius is bigger than most. He’s got long arms and he’s got (big) hands. He’s a guy that we hope can emerge from this as a guy that can help us."

http://en.wikipedia....ver,_born_1989)

Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Weight: 215 lb (98 kg)

Career information

High school: Erlanger (KY) Lloyd Memorial College: Grand Valley State NFL Draft: 2013 / Round: 7 / Pick: 216

#2 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Any projections for him? I had already been eyeing Baby Hawk as a flier to pick up some of the Gordon slack, but this is the second or third piece of buzz I've heard on this guy in as many days.

Any chance he can put up low end fantasy-relevant numbers next to Cameron and Hawkins?

#3 Taxman

Taxman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Charles Johnson has reportedly been a "revelation" in the first days of Browns camp.
Johnson is on our radar because he's 6'2/215 with 4.38 jets and the Browns are desperate at the wideout spot. ESPN Cleveland says he's "surprisingly up to speed on the Kyle Shanahan offense" and "could be the receiver that comes out of nowhere to lessen the impact of – if not offset" the Josh Gordon suspension.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

It's early but this guy could be a nice flyer.
1st Fantasy pick ever Thurman Thomas #3 Overall. Should have taken Jerry Rice.

#4 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Best combination of size / speed on that team?

I think I'll take 6'2" - 4.47 40 time Miles Austin who has been there and done it before.

I project this guy for 10 / 125 / 0 on the season, but you never know. A "sleeper" is generally a guy that many never see coming. I'll be the first to admit that i didn't see him coming if he does do what is being mentioned.
  • mmrodri likes this
2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#5 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Miles Austin has no upside and has hamstrings made of bubble gum and tissue paper. I like other wrs at the end of the draft more than this guy, but he's worth keeping an eye on in the preseason and possibly scooping up as a lotto ticket.

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 12 Lineup (8-3, 2nd in points)

QB: Aaron Rodgers (via trade)
RB: Andre Ellington (via trade)
RB: Pierre Thomas (via trade)

WR: Dez Bryant (1.9)
WR: A.J. Green (via trade)
TE: Scott Chandler (waiver claim)
FLEX: Cecil Shorts III (waiver claim)

FLEX: Malcom Floyd (waiver claim)
D/ST: Kansas City (waiver claim)
K:  Mason Crosby (waiver claim)
Bench: Antonio Brown (2.4), Reggie Bush (via trade), Roy Helu (waiver claim), Bryce Brown (waiver claim), Rams D/ST (waiver claim), Charles Clay (via trade)

#6 Jacob83

Jacob83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, Austin has been there, done that and tore both his hamstrings doing it...

Edited by Jacob83, 28 July 2014 - 02:52 PM.

• kobe24 likes this

#7 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Miles Austin? You serious Clark??
I have 2 warning points. How many until I get a prize?

#8 dmb3684

dmb3684

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Best combination of size / speed on that team?

I think I'll take 6'2" - 4.47 40 time Miles Austin who has been there and done it before.

I project this guy for 10 / 125 / 0 on the season, but you never know. A "sleeper" is generally a guy that many never see coming. I'll be the first to admit that i didn't see him coming if he does do what is being mentioned.

They are the same size and Johnson is faster...

#9 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Somehow I doubt Austin can run a 4.47 anymore ...

#10 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

If all you want is 6'2 and speed go find an Olympic athlete. There are more than enough of them that try to play football and pretty much all of them fail.

Maybe I should have clarified, the most important part of being a WR is the ability to play WR.

So I will restate my initial post...

"Best combination of size / speed / ability to play WR on that team? I think I'll take Miles Austin."

We will see who has superior numbers at the end of the season I suppose. Maybe yall are right about this nobody, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this one come season's end though.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares, 29 July 2014 - 12:29 PM.

2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#11 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

If all you want is 6'2 and speed go find an Olympic athlete. There are more than enough of them that try to play football and pretty much all of them fail.

Maybe I should have clarified, the most important part of being a WR is the ability to play WR.

So I will restate my initial post...

"Best combination of size / speed / ability to play WR on that team? I think I'll take Miles Austin."

We will see who has superior numbers at the end of the season I suppose. Maybe yall are right about this nobody, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this one come season's end though.

Just like you were so sure you'd win the KB vs. Jordan Matthews? Now I know zero games have been played but there's been next to no hype around Benjamin and nothing but glowing reviews on Matthews.
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#12 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Just like you were so sure you'd win the KB vs. Jordan Matthews? Now I know zero games have been played but there's been next to no hype around Benjamin and nothing but glowing reviews on Matthews.

lol, just hype and "glowing reviews". Let's wait until some football has been played before you crown yourself.

#13 Jacob83

Jacob83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

All I know is you can't win anything with yesterdays numbers, which is what Austin is.

This guy is not someone who can lose you a title. He is someone you take a chance on in the range of 10 to 15 round, if he works out he may win you a title, if he fails you dump him and take that week breakout player.

Frankly you can't draft a bust after 10 rounds.

Edited by Jacob83, 29 July 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#14 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

This guy may not do anything, but Austin is basically a corpse at this point in his career. I'd rather take him or Hawkins or just look elsewhere. I think my strategy is to target Hawkins as a sleeper and if I miss take this guy much later.
I have 2 warning points. How many until I get a prize?

#15 Jacob83

Jacob83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

This guy may not do anything, but Austin is basically a corpse at this point in his career. I'd rather take him or Hawkins or just look elsewhere. I think my strategy is to target Hawkins as a sleeper and if I miss take this guy much later.

Hawkins is different type of player. This guy is 6'2 with 4.4 speed.

He might not do anything but Like I said he is not expensive and is just another gamble, if you hit jackpot great if not who cares, you move on to the next guy with potential.
  • Alfonz289 likes this

#16 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

In a PPR league Miles Austin is being drafted in round 14, so basically every argument you made for this guy can be applied to Austin. It's cool though, the Austin hate is definitely here and I see little need to defend him any further.

Good luck seeing who has the better season. I'll be watching closely with Miles Austin on my team until the need to drop him for the next hot free agent arises.

#17 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

If Gordon plays, kiss this thread goodbye
  • mmrodri likes this
The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

#18 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

In a PPR league Miles Austin is being drafted in round 14, so basically every argument you made for this guy can be applied to Austin. It's cool though, the Austin hate is definitely here and I see little need to defend him any further.

Good luck seeing who has the better season. I'll be watching closely with Miles Austin on my team until the need to drop him for the next hot free agent arises.

None whatsoever. If Gordon returns Austin becomes a footnote and no one is interested in the defense much less whoever it was that was being defended.

#19 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

People see a Roto article and think Gordon is coming back. He just hired a new lawyer like a week ago and the lawyer is just doing his job and acting like there is a case out there so he gets paid by Gordon.

Yall forget that Gordon got a DWI AFTER he got busted for pot AGAIN. I've been wrong before and it can definitely happen again, but I can't see a situation where he plays.

#20 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

People see a Roto article and think Gordon is coming back. He just hired a new lawyer like a week ago and the lawyer is just doing his job and acting like there is a case out there so he gets paid by Gordon.

Yall forget that Gordon got a DWI AFTER he got busted for pot AGAIN. I've been wrong before and it can definitely happen again, but I can't see a situation where he plays.

ESPN: "Gordon's arrest in early July in North Carolina also was a DWI charge, which is unrelated to the proceedings surrounding his positive marijuana test. It cannot and will not be factored into any discipline that is doled out to Gordon over this violation."

Edited by ss3walkman, 29 July 2014 - 08:33 PM.

The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users