#1 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

coming up for the Twins from AA.

Twins recalled 1B Kennys Vargas from Double-A New Britain.
Vargas, 23, was batting .281/.360/.472 with 17 home runs and 63 RBI in 97 games this season at the Double-A level. He could see regular starts at DH but is doubtful to hold fantasy value outside of AL-only leagues.

had good numbers in AA.
http://www.thebaseba...P=kennys-vargas
97 G/ 356 AB - .282/.360/.472/.832/ 17 HR/ 63 RBI/

after trading Kendrys, the Twins felt they needed another YS player.

#2 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

He could catch a hot streak here or there but I wouldnt really expect much. His numbers were barely above average and he isn't young for AA by any means.

#3 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

just looking a little deeper.
he was an undrafted free agent.
in all of 2010 he only played 39 games. in all of 2011 he only played 44 games. in all of 2012 he only played 41 games. in all of 2013 he finally got more games with 125 games.
doesn't seem like he was given much AB as say a top prospect would, so maybe that's why it took this long to get to the majors and that reflects his age.
there is potential there, but likely more so for a deeper league.

#4 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

He could catch a hot streak here or there but I wouldnt really expect much. His numbers were barely above average and he isn't young for AA by any means.

Normally agree with your assessments, but I don't think you're giving him enough credit. His wRC+ for the Eastern League is 129. His OPS is over 100 points higher than the league's. That's not barely above league average. And a 23 year old in AA is not old.

He's not some uber prospect, by any means, but he's always been fairly underrated.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 01 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

• 96mnc, pduce242424 and bdsparty32 like this

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#5 spaghetti

spaghetti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Did not expect him to get his first major league hit off Sale, let alone it be a 2-run double.

#6 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

This dude is big lol

#7 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

not sure why on earth that's notable. you know who else were undrafted free agents? just about every ballplayer from latin america.

As to Vargas, I've seen him often in person this year at New Britain. Kid can hit. Just can't run.
New Britain isn't exactly a hitter's haven, but I left very impressed with him.

as to why he missed games, i know he was suspended in 2011 due to a banned substance (weight loss product-dude has always had weight problems). The first 2 years were GCL seasons....very short seasons.

Edited by MrMartyBarrett, 01 August 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#8 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

not sure why on earth that's notable. you know who else were undrafted free agents? just about every ballplayer from latin america.

As to Vargas, I've seen him often in person this year at New Britain. Kid can hit. Just can't run.

as to why he missed games, i know he was suspended in 2011 due to a banned substance (weight loss product-dude has always had weight problems). The first 2 years were GCL seasons....very short seasons.

His fielding leaves something to be desired also, dh is looking like the position for him if they want to keep his bat in the lineup.

#9 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

His fielding leaves something to be desired also, dh is looking like the position for him if they want to keep his bat in the lineup.

Very true, neglected to mention that part. He's a DH in waiting, but likely to play enough 1B to keep eligibility.

#10 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

when I saw the games played I thought maybe that had a connection to be an undrafted free agent, as since he wasn't drafted that he wasn't just handed a starting spot and it took him awhile to earn his playing time. didn't know about the ban or short seasons.

comparison to David Ortiz?

Edited by SpecialFNK, 01 August 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#11 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

when I saw the games played I thought maybe that had a connection to be an undrafted free agent, as since he wasn't drafted that he wasn't just handed a starting spot and it took him awhile to earn his playing time. didn't know about the ban or short seasons.

very much so. even down to the personality. ortiz played in NB back in the day as well, and many noted it here. apparently ortiz and vargas have become friendly as well. apparently vargas has a big personality like ortiz as well.

however, i don't think the upside is in the same universe.

#12 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

very much so. even down to the personality. ortiz played in NB back in the day as well, and many noted it here. apparently ortiz and vargas have become friendly as well. apparently vargas has a big personality like ortiz as well.

however, i don't think the upside is in the same universe.

hard to put THIS upside that Ortiz has gotten to on anyone, but I think the same thing have been said about Ortiz back when he was 23.
I wouldn't say Vargas has a good chance at getting to the level Ortiz has gotten to, but I think it is possible.

Edited by SpecialFNK, 02 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#13 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Worth a look for power potential. Not a great park for power but his ability to hit well from both sides of the plate should lead to solid PT.

#14 spivey17323

spivey17323

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

2/4 with 2 rbi today
15 Team 8x8 Keeper

C Mesoraco
1b Hosmer
2b Jason Kipnis
3b Kyle Seager
SS Anderalton Simmons
OF Puig
OF Yelich
OF El Coffee
UTIL Salvador Perez
UTIL Josh Donaldson
Bench: Salvador Perez, Alex Guerrero, Holliday, Shin-Soo Choo

SP Felix Hernandez, Cole Hamels, Kyle Lohse, Johnathan Niese,Tyson Ross

RP Kenley Jansen, Johnathon Papelbon, Huston Street

#15 avswsop91

avswsop91

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Looks good so far. What kind of line can he put up from here on out?

Edited by The Harsh, 04 August 2014 - 04:47 AM.
Removed BC content.

12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)

6x6 Each Categories (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP)

My Roster:

C - Travis d'Arnaud

1B - Paul Gouldschmidt

2B - Dee Gordon

3B - Todd Frazier

SS - (looking)

OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Yoenis Cespedes

UTIL - Edwin Encarnacion

Bench - Evan Longoria, Kole Calhoun, Lucas Duda, Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo

SP - Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Jake Arrieta, Jacob deGrom, Mike Fiers, Carlos Carrasco

RP - Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson, Zach Britton, Dellin Betances

Prospects: N/A

DL - N/A

WON THE 2014 CHAMPIONSHIP!!

#16 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm looking foward to seeing what he can do. Whats the worse thing that can happen? I drop him? He wouldn't be the first. And who knows? Something good could happen. No pressure of a pennant race.

#17 Dunkaroos

Dunkaroos

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

per cbs

Chances are most mixed-league owners won't have reason to pick up Kennys Vargas this year. He plays the deepest position in Fantasy and wasn't a particularly high-profile prospect coming up through the Twins system.
But at 6-feet-5, 275 pounds, he looks every bit like a power hitter and made good on it with 17 home runs in only 356 at-bats at Double-A New Britain. And while he isn't exactly Joey Votto at the plate, he isn't a swing-at-everything type either. His flaws as a hitter aren't so evident that they preclude him from holding down an everyday job.
So why the lack of hype? Well, in addition to being big, he's slow. And not exactly agile. His shortcomings may confine him to a DH role long term, kind of like another big, slow, lumbering type who the Twins decided wasn't worth the trouble named David Ortiz. You think they'll make that mistake again?
Ortiz was actually Vargas' favorite player growing up, and now he's become a mentor of sorts. According to an MLB.com report from back in spring training, the two are in frequent contact, so the similarities between them go beyond just size.

• bigbossman likes this

#18 mofo

mofo

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

3 run homer tonight!
Yahoo 12 Team H2H Dynasty

C: Wilin Rosario 1B: Paul Goldschmidt 2B: Anthony Rendon 3B: Chase Headley SS: Jed Lowrie
CI: Chris Johnson MI: Elvis Andrus OF: Yoenis Cespedes OF: Gregory Polanco OF: Melky Cabrera
Utl: Nelson Cruz Utl: Devin Mesoraco BN: JD Martinez BN: CJ Cron BN: Mookie Betts BN: Corey Seager BN:Adam Lind  NA: Joc Pederson NA: Carlos Correa

SP: Jesse Chavez SP: Garrett Richards SP: Hisashi Iwakuma SP: Jeff Samardzija
RP: Joakim Soria RP: P: P: Joe Smith P: Drew Smyly P: P: Matt Shoemaker P: Casey Janssen                                                                           
P: David Price BN: Jimmy Nelson DL: Drew Pomeranz DL: Michael Pineda NA: Lucas Giolito

#19 Lansdowne

Lansdowne

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

3 run homer tonight!

He friggin smashed it, ball got out of there in a hurry.

Looking good in the early going. May have been overlooked in prospect rankings because his lack of defensive skill. The bat has translated at every level so far. I'm excited for the kid... though it's hard to call anyone that large a kid. :o

#20 nittanychris

nittanychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Saw him live at a AA game a few weeks ago. Hit a HR in that game too. I read he has a pretty good K rate for a slugger too. Certainly worth a shot in AL Only Leagues, like mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users