#1 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Anyone remember 2012?

Will get the start on Saturday against the Dodgers.

8-5 2.55 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 129/17 K/B in 102 innings.

Just saying.

#2 exaulz

exaulz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:14 AM

Those are some eyebrow-raising PCL stats...I don't care if it is Mike Fiers, that's worth taking a flier on

#3 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

He's been a beast at AAA this year. Definitely worth a speculative add in most formats.

#4 injury_prone

injury_prone

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Those are some eyebrow-raising PCL stats...I don't care if it is Mike Fiers, that's worth taking a flier on

Throw in a 11.35 k/9 and 1.50 bb/9 (with a respectable .285 babip) and I think I'd completely agree with you.

2012: 127 2/3 ip, 9.52 k/9, 2.54 bb/9, .319 babip, 3.74 era/3.47 xFIP. Why not?

#5 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

I've watched him a lot and I'm not a fan.

He's 29, probably at least 6 years older than the competition he's faced. Take those stats with a grain of salt. He has a decent 4-pitch mix with good peripherals in the majors, hence why I've taken him in the past. But he's been brutal every time I've seen him. I would stay far away unless you're in the deepest of leagues.

Last note: Garza should be back before August is up and the Brewers have several off-days including at least one every week until September. With Fiers' previous experience in the bullpen I fully expect him to be skipped in the rotation at least once before the inevitable demotion.
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#6 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

I've watched him a lot and I'm not a fan.

He's 29, probably at least 6 years older than the competition he's faced. Take those stats with a grain of salt. He has a decent 4-pitch mix with good peripherals in the majors, hence why I've taken him in the past. But he's been brutal every time I've seen him. I would stay far away unless you're in the deepest of leagues.

Last note: Garza should be back before August is up and the Brewers have several off-days including at least one every week until September. With Fiers' previous experience in the bullpen I fully expect him to be skipped in the rotation at least once before the inevitable demotion.

His success comes from his deceptive delivery. W/O it, the fastball is a meaty piece for MLB hitting. I watched a lot of him too. He was pretty great in his first 10 starts or so. The Change and Curve are quality pitches. His cutter is terrible though.

It appeared they figured out the deception and were sitting dead red after awhile.. He has given up 17 HRs of his 4 Seam, most of which came at the end of his 2012, and terrible 2013.

He's worth a stream for his first start. Though a risky stream against the Dodgers. on the off-chance the team is caught off guard from his Delivery for a short time. But not a guy I would hold on to or drop anything worthwhile for.

Edited by Slatykamora, 08 August 2014 - 02:14 PM.

• Posting In The Clutch, Mcova23 and thewallsaround like this

#7 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,411 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I remember the run he had in 2012. It was a fun ride while it lasted. But the league eventually figured him out, and it got ugly in a hurry. He's similar to John Ely in how he relies on his deception, only he's better than Ely.

Could be useful for a few streams.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 08 August 2014 - 03:54 PM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#8 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

People put too much weight in minor league stats. I remember what he did in the majors..No thanks..

#9 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

People put too much weight in minor league stats. I remember what he did in the majors..No thanks..

Things can change and people can learn and improve. What he did in the PCL is impressive. That being said, he is only a streamer at this point unless he can string a few nice starts together.
No Days Off

#10 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Again, it's not that impressive considering his age.
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#11 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Again, it's not that impressive considering his age.

Wada is older, had pretty good stats at AAA in the PCL and is doing just fine so far. I'm not saying he is the savior for the fantasy playoffs, but I'm saying take a chance and stream him and I think he can put up solid stats.
  • Redsoxmaniac likes this
No Days Off

#12 young dude

young dude

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thought I saw a thread but didn't see it in the directory.

He's not supposed to be legit despite the stellar minors numbers this year. Almost 30 too.

But looks great (in the box score) through three innings so far.

Edited by young dude, 09 August 2014 - 07:05 PM.

I HIR 100% with good quality. I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave. Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it. I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :) Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#13 El Duderino

El Duderino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Still solid through 5...
18 team dynasty (H2H points):

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Matt Adams
2B- Arismendy Alcantara
SS- Hanley Ramirez
3B- Pablo Sandoval
IF- Miguel Cabrera
LF- Justin Upton
CF- George Springer
RF- Shin-Soo Choo
OF- Marlon Byrd
UTIL- Ian Kinsler
Minors- Byron Buxton, Maikel Franco

SP- Felix Hernandez, Max Scherzer, Cole Hamels, James Shields, Wily Peralta, Chris Tillman, Tsuyoshi Wada, Dylan Bundy, Matt Wisler, Anthony Ranaudo, Carlos Martinez
RP- Rafael Soriano, Cody Allen, Mike Fiers, Brandon Workman
DL- Tyler Skaggs, Brandon Morrow, Shane Victorino

#14 young dude

young dude

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

We need someone to give us the eye test ASAP so we know if it's worth jumping on.
I HIR 100% with good quality. I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave. Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it. I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :) Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#15 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,853 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Been watching the game but not really paying attention to Fiers. I have zero interest in him as a fantasy asset. With his Fastball he's way too prone to ratio crippling blowups for my liking.

#16 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Pitched very we'll but no thanks..

#17 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Looks like you called that one.

#18 El Duderino

El Duderino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

Just shut down the Dodgers and no love? Interesting.
18 team dynasty (H2H points):

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Matt Adams
2B- Arismendy Alcantara
SS- Hanley Ramirez
3B- Pablo Sandoval
IF- Miguel Cabrera
LF- Justin Upton
CF- George Springer
RF- Shin-Soo Choo
OF- Marlon Byrd
UTIL- Ian Kinsler
Minors- Byron Buxton, Maikel Franco

SP- Felix Hernandez, Max Scherzer, Cole Hamels, James Shields, Wily Peralta, Chris Tillman, Tsuyoshi Wada, Dylan Bundy, Matt Wisler, Anthony Ranaudo, Carlos Martinez
RP- Rafael Soriano, Cody Allen, Mike Fiers, Brandon Workman
DL- Tyler Skaggs, Brandon Morrow, Shane Victorino

#19 dinhead

dinhead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

it is 1 outing really you get happy over 1 start lol have fun. I remember what he did the las time he was in the majors no thanks.
  • Code of Hammurabi likes this

#20 exaulz

exaulz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

it is 1 outing really you get happy over 1 start lol have fun. I remember what he did the las time he was in the majors no thanks.

1 outing tonight and 102 innings of dominance in the PCL. Tonight's start shouldn't have been surprising. But you remember what he did in 22 innings last year and base your opinion off that...fair enough I guess.

I don't think the league ever "figured him out" at the end of 2012. That doesn't just happen all at once. He just lost his command of the strike zone and got hammered because that's what happens when you throw a 91 FB and miss your spots. This year his command has been elite.
  • Lansdowne likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users