19 replies to this topic

#1 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

We all know Carson Palmer is old and is just a stop gap at this point. Thomas posted insane measurables at the combine including highest velocity and a 4.61 40 time for a 6'6" QB. He was very productive initially at Va. Tech but then plateaued and failed to improve in his following years in college when he struggled with accuracy issues. Thomas has Bruce Arians working in his favor who claims he can fix this accuracy problem. Thomas also has some nice weapons in Arizona with Fitz, Floyd, Ellington and the recent buzz on fellow rookie John Brown has been exciting as well. Do we think he could eventually develop into a fantasy beast? With those measurables and those weapons, it seems the only thing holding him back from fantasy production would be the accuracy issue. In redraft, he's probably not worth anything unless there's a Palmer injury but in dynasty, I am very intrigued. Better yet, I'm not sure of his ADP in rookie drafts, but I can't imagine he's going anywhere before round 3 at the absolute earliest so he won't cost you much to take a chance on him.
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#2 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

I'm a VT fan so I've been following him his whole college career. It's more than accuracy, he's extremely raw at reading Ds, going through progressions, etc. He was initially recruited as a TE. He had success early on because he was throwing to the 2 most prolific WRs in VT history(Boykin and some white dude who I think is also in NFL). Once they left he struggled bigtime, although it wasn't all his fault. His measurables are similar to Cam Newton which is why scouts drool but he will be a project. Even as a VT homer I don't think he'll ever amount to anything more than backup QB material but I'm rooting for him.
  • 96mnc likes this
I have 2 warning points. How many until I get a prize?

#3 dsrich

dsrich

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Measurables don't mean anything when you can't apply them.
  • 96mnc and CamNewton like this

#4 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm a VT fan so I've been following him his whole college career. It's more than accuracy, he's extremely raw at reading Ds, going through progressions, etc. He was initially recruited as a TE. He had success early on because he was throwing to the 2 most prolific WRs in VT history(Boykin and some white dude who I think is also in NFL). Once they left he struggled bigtime, although it wasn't all his fault. His measurables are similar to Cam Newton which is why scouts drool but he will be a project. Even as a VT homer I don't think he'll ever amount to anything more than backup QB material but I'm rooting for him.

Thanks for the insight. You mentioned Thomas played his best when he had good/great playmakers around him and as I mentioned, he has some nice pieces around him in Zona. I realize the NFL is a totally different animal when compared to the ACC but if Arians and the other coaches can teach him, perhaps he can develop into a decent QB. I agree he is really raw, but like you said, those Cam-esque attributes he has are intriguing.
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#5 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I've followed his career pretty closely since I drafted him in my keeper league a few years ago (we have a "farm system" of college players). He has all the upside in the world. He has ideal measurables you look for in a QB. He has elite arm strength, wouldn't be surprised if he's top 5 in arm strength in the NFL. But he is extremely raw. He was a tight end coming out of high school who converted to QB at Va Tech. Usually it's the other way around (see Owen Daniels). So, not playing QB in high school already put him behind the 8-ball in terms of feel for the position.

His accuracy leaves something to be desired. He can be very erratic with all types of routes.

At times he really struggles reading the defense. Doesn't recognize blitzes, forces plenty of passes, and at time stares down receivers.

His mechanics aren't all that great either. Footwork is poor, which probably leads to a lot of his inaccuracy.

Thomas is in a great situation though. Arians is terrific for QB's, he loves the vertical passing game, and Palmer is old. The Cardinals' selection of Thomas is the classic boom or bust pick. Thomas has a long way to go, but if Arians can fix some of his mechanical issues and improve his accuracy/decision making, then the Cardinals could have gotten a steal. This will be a long process though, I don't see Thomas playing this year, and he may not even play next year. I hope he succeeds because his upside is enormous.

Edited by deuce4off, 10 August 2014 - 10:46 PM.

I couldn't care less about your teams

#6 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Didn't actually see this game yesterday. Thoughts on Thomas's dynasty prospects following this game? If neither Stanton or Palmer are ready to go next week...Thomas could make an immediate impact.

Team 1: Yo Soy Fiesta | 12-Team Dynasty PPR

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Sam Bradford[IR]

RB: LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Carlos Hyde, Doug Martin, Bryce Brown, Robert Turbin, Stevan Ridley[IR]
WR: Jordy Nelson, Jeremy Maclin, Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Justin Blackmon, Duron Carter
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, Dwayne Allen

#7 FavreCo

FavreCo

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

This guy is garbage. Arizona is in serious trouble if they are counting on this guy. His inaccuracy totally neutralizes John Brown and will probably get Michael Floyd hurt on an errant throw.

#8 MillenWasmyFavorite

MillenWasmyFavorite

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

This guy is garbage. Arizona is in serious trouble if they are counting on this guy. His inaccuracy totally neutralizes John Brown and will probably get Michael Floyd hurt on an errant throw.

Uh, he is a rookie.

He should have never been in a position to play this season.

His value is much different in standard v. Dynasty: The Cardinals are F***** if they have to ride Thomas out this season.

He's played one and a half quarters of NFL football.

• pikerbkb likes this

12M Standard auction draft
QB: Romo
RB: Gerhart/Vereen/Gio
WR: Dez/Floyd/Wright
TE: Rudolph/Ertz
Flex: CP84/Hunter/Em. Sanders
K: Greg
D: St. Louis

10M Standard CBS (positional quotas)
QB: Carson Palmer/Ryan T-hill.
RB: Ellington/Gerhart/L. Bell/Sankey
WR: Dez/Floyd/CP84/Hunter
TE: Graham/Kelce
Flex:
K: Stream
D: Stream

#9 danp

danp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Uh, he is a rookie.

His value is much different in standard v. Dynasty: The Cardinals are F***** if they have to ride Thomas out this season.

it has nothing to do with him being a rookie. he's horrific. he wasn't even very good in college. at some point, people need to accept that he is a physical freak and a terrible football player.

• 96mnc likes this

#10 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Uh, he is a rookie.

it has nothing to do with him being a rookie. he's horrific. he wasn't even very good in college. at some point, people need to accept that he is a physical freak and a terrible football player.

He was really good his sophomore year.  Junior and senior year he regressed.  Most of it is fault, but the offense they ran and the talent he had around him didn't help his cause.

#11 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Didn't actually see this game yesterday. Thoughts on Thomas's dynasty prospects following this game? If neither Stanton or Palmer are ready to go next week...Thomas could make an immediate impact.

He does offer some upside in dynasty, but he's still light years away from being a productive QB.  Anyone assuming he will contribute this year or next are probably fooling themselves.  He still has a lot of things to work on, primarily mechanics, accuracy, and reading defenses.  Yes, if he plays, by definition he will be an "immediate impact".  But that impact will be a disaster and won't help fantasy owners.

#12 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Someone has to say it:

The Jerick McKinnon of QBs

• owenmills and WhatWouldDitkaDo like this

#13 afl5013

afl5013

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

If Palmer sits again, is this guy worth a start against WAS? (mostly for the Brees owners)
10 team, standard scoring, 3 keepers (no penalty)
QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Le'Veon Bell
RB: Arian Foster
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: AJ Green
WR: Josh Gordon
TE: Martellus Bennett
DEF: Patriots D/ST
K: Adam Vinatieri

BN: Ahmad Bradshaw, RB
BN: Jeremy Hill, RB
BN: Mike Wallace, WR
BN: Pierre Garcon, WR
BN: Chargers D/ST
BN: 49ers D/ST

#14 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

Uh, he is a rookie.

This.

Imo, his only chance of being a successful NFL qb was being on the bench for a few years.

If Arians makes this guy usable my already high opinion of him as a coach will reach hoodie levels.

#15 Sneaky

Sneaky

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

If anyone watched Blaine Gabberts first few starts as a rookie, you know what a QB bust looks like. You could tell just from one game he was going to be horrific.

#16 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

Someone has to say it:

The Jerick McKinnon of QBs

except McKinnon can play.

anyone who watched college football last year (or the year before) can tell you that Logan Thomas is NOT a NFL quarterback.

He regressed each of his seasons at VT, and it was painful to watch him try to attempt a pass.  He simply cannot throw the ball. He's a tight end trying to play quarterback.

12 Team Auction Draft. Yahoo 0.5 PPR scoring. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. 

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

QB: Jay Cutler / Eli Manning
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Denard Robinson
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Kenny Stills
TE: Greg Olsen
Flex: Shane Vereen
K: Cody Parkey
Def: St. Louis (streaming always)

Bench: Reggie Wayne, Eric Decker, Charles Johnson, Baltimore DEF

#17 Remember Tillman

Remember Tillman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'm in desparate need of a speculative QB add for the future (say 2+ years down the road) for my practice squad.  Thoughts on Logan Thomas and how he ranks vs guys like Tom Savage, Aaron Murray and Austin Davis?

#18 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm in desparate need of a speculative QB add for the future (say 2+ years down the road) for my practice squad.  Thoughts on Logan Thomas and how he ranks vs guys like Tom Savage, Aaron Murray and Austin Davis?

not even anywhere near the same class as those guys.

he has a MUCH MUCH better chance at being an NFL TE than he does a QB

12 Team Auction Draft. Yahoo 0.5 PPR scoring. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. 

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

QB: Jay Cutler / Eli Manning
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Denard Robinson
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Kenny Stills
TE: Greg Olsen
Flex: Shane Vereen
K: Cody Parkey
Def: St. Louis (streaming always)

Bench: Reggie Wayne, Eric Decker, Charles Johnson, Baltimore DEF

#19 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

not even anywhere near the same class as those guys.

he has a MUCH MUCH better chance at being an NFL TE than he does a QB

He could also be a Kaepernick-type talent...just depends how well he develops under Arians. If you're looking for upside, I have Thomas and Garoppolo on my dynasty watch list.

Team 1: Yo Soy Fiesta | 12-Team Dynasty PPR

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Sam Bradford[IR]

RB: LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Carlos Hyde, Doug Martin, Bryce Brown, Robert Turbin, Stevan Ridley[IR]
WR: Jordy Nelson, Jeremy Maclin, Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Justin Blackmon, Duron Carter
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, Dwayne Allen

#20 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

As a Virginia Tech fan I can say he's awful.  The only reason he's in the league are his measurables.  He is not a good QB...at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users