43 replies to this topic

#1 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thoughts/projections for Geno Smith this season? He recently said he models his game after Aaron Rodgers and that he expects to be a top 5 QB in 1-2 years.
Competitive start 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 12 team H2H deep re-draft league, all TDs = 6 pts. Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

QB (2) - Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, Shaun Hill, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel
RB/FLEX (2) - DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin, Zac Stacy, Jeremy Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Knile Davis
WR (4) - Calvin Johnson, Alshon Jeffrey, Michael Crabtree, Victor Cruz, TY Hilton
TE (2) - Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, Austin Seferian-Jenkins
K (2) - Shayne Graham, Steven Hauschka
DEF (2) - Cleveland, New Orleans
IDP (4) - Lavonte David, Jared Mayo, Alec Ogletree, Curtis Lofton

#2 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thoughts/projections for Geno Smith this season? He recently said he models his game after Aaron Rodgers and that he expects to be a top 5 QB in 1-2 years.

And I model my body after Ryan Gossling, but sometimes you're born a beanpole, and sometimes you're drafted by the Jets.

Dem da breaks.
  • Robrain, mverkruyse, Iron-cock and 2 others like this
I do it for the likes...

#3 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

And I model my body after Ryan Gossling, but sometimes you're born a beanpole, and sometimes you're drafted by the Jets.

Dem da breaks.

I model my weightlifting after 8 time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman.

but i am not 300 lbs with bodyfat so low you can literally see the split in the bicept at the top of my arm

#4 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Mike Vick starts week 1.
  • 93_Confirmed likes this

#5 Brad Brink

Brad Brink

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

Geno Smith will never crack the top 15 qbs. Imo

#6 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

I'm actually intrigued by the Jets QB situation. I don't wanna draft geno or Vick but in one of my leagues with "Team QBs" teams like NYJ and Cleveland are on my radar.

Pluses:

-added Decker, Jace, Chris Johnson
-2nd year has to show improvement
-was fantasy relevant/useful during last few games of 2013
-ability to run :)

#7 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

He did have three games in which he scored 3td's last year. He was at times fantasy relevant, and played better down the stretch.

#8 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

It starts with ball security.

If that happens, we'll know pretty quickly what we're looking at.

If that doesn't happen, we'll know pretty quickly what we're looking at.

Got him on my deep deep deep desperate double secret sleeper list.
  • mmrodri likes this
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#9 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

He is a tempting option on draftkings. Especially for week 1 against the raidahs...huge game against them last year
  • Proteus likes this
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#10 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

He is a tempting option on draftkings. Especially for week 1 against the raidahs...huge game against them last year

Interesting take. It's always the big value guys who get over on the weekly salary cap leagues.

But for the longer haul...I always keep an open mind when it comes to running QBs.

Plenty of guys won plenty of games with Cam, Tebow, and even Tyrelle Pryor while their threads were blowing up with derrogatory slams on their games.

I don't care if he compares himself to Johnny Unitas...if he can keep from turning the ball over he should be in the conversation.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#11 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

As a Jets fan and seeing what I've seen of him, there were some moments last year that he could really move the offense. I think back to that Saints game (not impressive numbers but the flow in that game was how they Jets needed to beat the Saints given their problems on defense) and the Cleveland game where he threw a couple TDs, ran one in and didn't turn the ball over.

As many above have said, I think he has a real chance to be something if he matures and takes better care of the ball. He seems to have a hunger and wants to improve. He was a rookie thrown into a situation where his best case scenario was don't get hurt and rely on the run game. This year he's actually got a playmaker or two that can catch passes and a veteran that can teach him how to play the EXACT West-Coast system he's playing in.

For fantasy, I consider him a deep deep sleeper. For reference Ryan Tannehill is a "deep" sleeper for me, so I'd consider Geno a tier below him.
  • Proteus and Iron-cock like this

#12 AJ92

AJ92

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

I think Geno is this years version of the QB who comes out of nowhere and puts up Top 10 Fantasy numbers. Take a look at his stats in Jet's wins vs loses last year.

Posted Image
Basically when the Jet's won Geno averaged the same number of fantasy points as Drew Brees. While obviously I'm not saying he's going to average those numbers over the course of the season it does show that there is some talent there. Plus you have to remember this guy was throwing to no one last year. This year he'll have Decker, Amaro, and CJ2K. Plus if you look at their receiving core it's like a basketball team out there. Decker is 6'3, Hill is 6'4, Nelson is 6'5, Amaro is 6'6, Sudfeld is 6'7 which makes me think Geno can do some real damage in the redzone.
  • AirForceOne and Iron-cock like this

#13 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

What're the chances that Geno is worthy of a start week 1? I seen Rodgers struggle a bit against the Raider D.

* 4 straight superbowl appearances
* 2 super bowl victories

2014 Jeremy Top Dustan Bottoms
QB:Luck
RB:Lacy
RB:Bell
WR:Bryant
WR:Cobb
WR:Floyd
TE:Walker
K:Parker
D:Lions
Flex:Ellington
Bench:Mason, Houston, Vereen, Ingram, Randle, Hillman

#14 yanksman

yanksman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

What're the chances that Geno is worthy of a start week 1? I seen Rodgers struggle a bit against the Raider D.

god you have to have had some horrid draft to consider starting Geno in week 1. And this is coming from a guy who thinks hes a great sleeper to put up top 10 numbers like the guy above said.

Edited by yanksman, 24 August 2014 - 08:38 AM.

• lolcopter likes this

#15 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

i don't see why its such a terrible option to start him week 1. he's put up big games in the past and will do so again.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#16 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

god you have to have had some horrid draft to consider starting Geno in week 1. And this is coming from a guy who thinks hes a great sleeper to put up top 10 numbers like the guy above said.

If I'm streaming why can't he be a good option? He put up around 20 points last year against them. Now he has CJ?K and Decker.

* 4 straight superbowl appearances
* 2 super bowl victories

2014 Jeremy Top Dustan Bottoms
QB:Luck
RB:Lacy
RB:Bell
WR:Bryant
WR:Cobb
WR:Floyd
TE:Walker
K:Parker
D:Lions
Flex:Ellington
Bench:Mason, Houston, Vereen, Ingram, Randle, Hillman

#17 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

If I'm streaming why can't he be a good option? He put up around 20 points last year against them. Now he has CJ?K and Decker.

Streaming is always an option an in emergency or if it is your strategy, but if your other QB is Aaron Rodgers and you are considering Geno over him in any week other than Green Bay's bye week, then you are over-thinking.
  • Red Dog likes this
This post is rated "G".

#18 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

I watched that entire first half and was quite impressed by the Raiders D. Lacy only played one series and carved them up when he did but they did a really good job of pressuring Rodgers and their CBs did a good job of not giving up any big plays. Two of the three scoring drives by the Packers were kept alive by dumb personal foul penalties.
  • buckeyestilidie likes this

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#19 AJ92

AJ92

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

I think Geno is this years version of the QB who comes out of nowhere and puts up Top 10 Fantasy numbers. Take a look at his stats in Jet's wins vs loses last year.

Posted Image
Basically when the Jet's won Geno averaged the same number of fantasy points as Drew Brees. While obviously I'm not saying he's going to average those numbers over the course of the season it does show that there is some talent there. Plus you have to remember this guy was throwing to no one last year. This year he'll have Decker, Amaro, and CJ2K. Plus if you look at their receiving core it's like a basketball team out there. Decker is 6'3, Hill is 6'4, Nelson is 6'5, Amaro is 6'6, Sudfeld is 6'7 which makes me think Geno can do some real damage in the redzone.

I forgot to mention this but the Jets defense should take a step back this year. Their secondary, after already losing their #1 CB Cromartie, has been hit by injuries this preseason. Former first-round CB Dee Milliner was benched multiple times in 2013; OLB Quinton Coples doesn't get to the QB enough, and Calvin Pace will be 34 in October and is rapidaly declining. Not to mention the Jets will rely on rookie Calvin Pryor to instantly be their best safety. Geno should get an increase in volume of attempts as the Jets will need to score more points to stay in games.

#20 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I'm currently slated to start him week 1 in the Roto League.
Went into the draft planning to stream QBs, came out with Bradford based on his first 2 weeks of the season being so favorable, but with the ACL, Geno was #2. Oakland gives up the 3rd most fantasy points to the QB, and his legs alone should prevent you from a complete bust.
  • mmrodri and buckeyestilidie like this
I do it for the likes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users