12 replies to this topic

#1 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Around this time of year we see a lot of hubbub about what backs are going to be in timeshares, who's splitting carries with who, and whether a team uses a true workhorse.

I found this chart the other day while searching for something totally different and found it incredibly enlightening.

http://www.junkyardj...RedZoneRushers/

In terms of the top rushers from last year, only one back was near 90% of his team's carries. Gotta be AP, right? McCoy? Charles! Gotta be Charles... Nope. It was Forte.
  • Charles took 62% of his team's rushes.
  • McCoy took 79%.
  • Lynch took 62%
  • Ryan Mathews took 70% of his team's carries.

The redzone carries are even more interesting (Forte is the only one at ~90% there too), but I'll get into that later.

My takeaway from this, a workhorse isn't necessarily taking the vast majority of his team's carries. 60% was what guys who are considered workhorse status got. The dreaded timeshare backs (Gio/BJGE, Bush/Bell, etc.) were all in the 50% range.

Consume the stats at will.
  • 96mnc, mrblonde1984, Iron-cock and 6 others like this

#2 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Around this time of year we see a lot of hubbub about what backs are going to be in timeshares, who's splitting carries with who, and whether a team uses a true workhorse.

I found this chart the other day while searching for something totally different and found it incredibly enlightening.

http://www.junkyardj...RedZoneRushers/

In terms of the top rushers from last year, only one back was near 90% of his team's carries. Gotta be AP, right? McCoy? Charles! Gotta be Charles... Nope. It was Forte.

• Charles took 62% of his team's rushes.
  • McCoy took 79%.
  • Lynch took 62%
  • Ryan Mathews took 70% of his team's carries.
The redzone carries are even more interesting (Forte is the only one at ~90% there too), but I'll get into that later.

My takeaway from this, a workhorse isn't necessarily taking the vast majority of his team's carries. 60% was what guys who are considered workhorse status got. The dreaded timeshare backs (Gio/BJGE, Bush/Bell, etc.) were all in the 50% range.

Consume the stats at will.

Awesome stuff, thanks for posting.

Shocked that Lynch was only at 62%. Would never have guessed that.

#3 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

A question about the data:

It has Ellington at 74% of the teams rushing attempts but doesn't list Mendenhall at all. What gives?
Andre Ellington Posted Image RB 74.3% Stepfan Taylor Posted Image RB 20.3%

There's a similar issue with the Browns and Willis McGahee not being listed at all.

Edited by 96mnc, 13 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#4 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

It has Ellington at 74% of the teams rushing attempts but doesn't list Mendenhall at all. What gives?

There's a similar issue with the Browns and Willis McGahee not being listed at all.

There's some shenanigans going on there...good catch. It might be a bug in their system that retired players got dropped from the list?

#5 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

There's some shenanigans going on there...good catch. It might be a bug in their system that retired players got dropped from the list?

That would make sense since that is the commonality between the two players. Any other retired RBs that we can test the theory on?

#6 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, it's broken. Forte didn't get 90% of the carries last year (that would be crazy!) he did get 71% which still seems high.

Holy hell is that website design bad. I clicked around a bit and saw:

Posted ImageCopyright © 1998-2013 JunkYard Jake.® All Rights Reserved.

It looks more 1995 than 1998! Geocities Style in full effect. Cool attempt at stats though.

Edited by Iron-cock, 13 August 2014 - 08:11 PM.

• mmrodri likes this

#7 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, it's broken. Forte didn't get 90% of the carries last year (that would be crazy!) he did get 71% which still seems high.

Holy hell is that website design bad. I clicked around a bit and saw:

Posted ImageCopyright 1998-2013 JunkYard Jake. All Rights Reserved.

It looks more 1995 than 1998! Geocities Style in full effect. Cool attempt at stats though.

I suspect it's the same issue. Michael Bush, like McGahee and Mendenhall, is not currently in the league.

#8 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure if someone had the time this could be put together accurately. Any volunteers here?

As for actual rushes, I think its important to look at touches and not rushes, because a guy like Darren Sproles barely gets any carries but he will be the leader in touches from the backfield. Also these things change a lot and we don't know about rookie situations.

Best way to analyze this would be a full write up on each team's depth. Rank the RB on each team, project out touches, then write some notes.

Edited by Sidearmer, 13 August 2014 - 10:03 PM.

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#9 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

I suspect it's the same issue. Michael Bush, like McGahee and Mendenhall, is not currently in the league.

Jeez, Bush isnt even in a camp somewhere? That guy really fell off a cliff.

#10 93_Confirmed

93_Confirmed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Jeez, Bush isnt even in a camp somewhere? That guy really fell off a cliff.

Yeah what happened to Michael Bush? He's a competent back with skills and it's kind of shocking that he's not rostered.
  • mrblonde1984 likes this

Josh Gordon Thread - 9/10/14 "Never Forget"

Earned 3 Warning Points

Served 2 Week Rotoworld Suspension 9/10/14 - 9/24/14

#11 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Michael Bush would rush for 2,000 yards on the Colts. I'm dumbfounded as to why he isn't on a team as at least a goal line back somewhere.
  • mmrodri likes this

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 7 Lineup (5-1)

QB: Matthew Stafford (5.9)
RB: Andre Ellington (via trade)
RB: Ben Tate (6.4)
WR: Dez Bryant (1.9)
WR: Antonio Brown (2.4)
TE: Jordan Reed (waiver claim)
FLEX: Reggie Bush (via trade)

FLEX: Delanie Walker (waiver claim)
D/ST: Denver (waiver claim)
K:  Adam Vinatieri (waiver claim)
Bench: A.J. Green (via trade), Terrance Williams (via trade), Darren McFadden (waiver claim), Darren Sproles (via trade), Brian Tyms (waiver claim), Kansas City D/ST (waiver claim)

#12 Dislimb

Dislimb

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm at work at the moment, but I just want to say that this is a fantastic idea for a thread.

I'd be more than happy to help compile data for it.
10 team, round-based keeper league (up to three players, but no more than one per position) with standard scoring (non-PPR) and 4 point passing TDs:

QB: Aaron Rodgers (k-2)
RB1: Jamaal Charles (k-1)
RB2: Justin Forsett (n/a)
WR1: Julio Jones (k-3)
WR2: Emmanuel Sanders (6)
RB/WR: Fred Jackson (9)
TE: Dwayne Allen (n/a)
D/ST: Buffalo Bills (n/a)
K: Brandon McManus (n/a)

Bench
QB: Matt Ryan (10)
RB: Trent Richardson (8), Knile Davis (11), Devonta Freeman (12)
WR: Cordarrelle Patterson (4), DeAndre Hopkins (13)
D/ST: Cincinnati Bengals (14)

#13 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'm sure if someone had the time this could be put together accurately. Any volunteers here?

As for actual rushes, I think its important to look at touches and not rushes, because a guy like Darren Sproles barely gets any carries but he will be the leader in touches from the backfield. Also these things change a lot and we don't know about rookie situations.

Best way to analyze this would be a full write up on each team's depth. Rank the RB on each team, project out touches, then write some notes.

Touches over carries is definitely better. Or both.

I emailed the site owner and he's correcting the carries issue.

I'll send him another email about how easy or difficult it would be to add a column for catches and then a total column.

Edited by 96mnc, 14 August 2014 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users