• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Jeff Janis 2014 Season Outlook

Height: 6'3
Weight: 219 lbs
40 Time: 4.42

http://www.nfl.com/d...anis?id=2543750

Strengths: Combine warrior with great measurables in a pass oriented offense.
Weaknesses: From a Div II school. Questionable hands and route running. Buried on the Green Bay depth chart. Shingles.

Dislikes: Being called "Janis".

Posted Image

Jeff Janis wasn't recruited that hard out of high school, and ended up in a Div II school. He ended up having a late growth spurt and hit the weights. A Div II star, Janis still wasn't drated highly (7th round). While some people think Davante Adams could eventually overtake Boykin on the outside in 3 wide sets, Janis seems like a more natural fit to play on the outside if his route running is strong enough.

Reports of of training cap have been positive for Janis. From ESPN.com:

The only one who took advantage of Monday's circumstances was rookie Jeff Janis, who made his second spectacular catch since he returned last week after missing the first seven practices of camp because of shingles. During a team period, he made a twisting grab on a deep throw from Scott Tolzien against cornerback Casey Hayward. Last Wednesday, he made a one-handed catch for a touchdown over Sam Shields.

But Janis has not done it in a game yet. The Packers held him out against the Titans even though he practiced last week. His debut should come Saturday at St. Louis.

"We're hoping to get him to a position where he can play in a game," McCarthy said. "He's raw; he needs the work. But you know he's a big, athletic receiver that has excellent body control."

Posted Image

While Janis is unlikey to have much value as a rookie in standard redraft leagues, he is a player to monitor in the preseason for deep dynasty leagues and someone to take note of in case of injuries to Packers WRs

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

http://www.mayoclini...ms/con-20019574

#3 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Watch out for him. I think he's going to take that WR3 job by mid year. In 3 wide sets he would probably play outside with Cobb kicking in to the slot. I've had my eye on him all summer. Sure hope I can snag him in my dynasty rookie draft.
  • 96mnc likes this
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#4 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Watch out for him. I think he's going to take that WR3 job by mid year. In 3 wide sets he would probably play outside with Cobb kicking in to the slot. I've had my eye on him all summer. Sure hope I can snag him in my dynasty rookie draft.

I'm not sure if he'll grab the job by mid year but I was blown away by his college film. Yes, he's got to correct the flaws in his game mentioned above and it might take a year but he's quite the athlete.

#5 93_Confirmed

93_Confirmed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Don't rule out Boykin or Davante Adams. They have a few nice prospects behind Jordy/Cobb.

#6 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Don't rule out Boykin or Davante Adams. They have a few nice prospects behind Jordy/Cobb.

Reports on both Boykin and Adams in camp have been average to poor. If this continues and Janis continues to shine, he will win the job. And when he wins it, he won't look back.
  • PepperPot likes this
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#7 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Boykin also isn't very skilled. So it's not hard to see him losing the #3 job. What I would find hard to believe is a rookie taking his spot. Doesn't seem to happen much in Green Bay.

#8 El_Chingon

El_Chingon

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

The new white lightning in Green Bay?

http://www.cbsnews.c...ps-him-succeed/

#9 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I've been watching him like a hawk in our Free Agent Pool in the Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League. Now that someone topped this thread, I swooped in and grabbed him.

His teammates have referred to his speed as being the "V-12" on the field. The Lamborghini.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#10 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

His girl friend is hot. That's about all I know about him.
  • Iron-cock likes this
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(0-1)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Ahmad Bradshaw
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals
Bench: Cecil Shorts III, Mohammed Sanu, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Theo Riddick, Travaris Cadet

#11 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

I don't see him making an impact yet this year. He's talented but still has a lot to learn. Boykin has one big advantage over Janis and that's that he knows the offense and he knows the playbook. Janis is still far behind. Even the beat writers have been mentioning that. A tweet from today:

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein ·
Second day in a row Rodgers not happy with the route Janis ran. Led to incompletion. He's got to get Rodgers' trust.

Next year could be his year, with Boykin possibly gone.

Edited by Sine_cera, 19 August 2014 - 10:08 PM.

"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#12 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

I think he's an upside-hold in a 14-team redraft league, especially if you have limited quality depth at the WR spot.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#13 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

I think he's an upside-hold in a 14-team redraft league, especially if you have limited quality depth at the WR spot.

Do you like him more than Adams?
THE UNIT

QB: Brady
RB: McCoy, Forte
WR: Gordon, Brown, Patterson, Cooks, Hunter
TE: Rudolph, Ertz
DEF: Rams
K: Bryant

"The shadows betray you because they belong to me"

#14 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

As a Packers fan I can tell you that McCarthy doesn't give up on players that quickly. Some fans dislike him for that. Several years ago, James Jones kept getting snaps even though he dropped more balls than actually catching them. For Janis to grab that #3 spot, Boykin would have to completely crap the bed. Not just dropping balls but also running the wrong routes, etc. Stranger things have happened.

There were reports that Boykin and Cobb were not having good camps but they looked pretty good against the Rams. McCarthy likes to stick with the guys that are familiar with his QB.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#15 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Right now I'm viewing Cobb as the slot receiver, and Davante Adams / Boykin might be Cobb's immediate backup. I think Janis, even though he's a rookie, may right now be in the lead for the #2 outside WR role opposite Jordy Nelson.

Remember, Packers use a ton of 3-wide sets. So the 3rd WR (James Jones in the past) still plays a large, starting role in that offense.

Especially now with Jermichael Finley gone, having another relatively tall (6'3") target to throw to is a plus.

#16 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Right now I'm viewing Cobb as the slot receiver, and Davante Adams / Boykin might be Cobb's immediate backup. I think Janis, even though he's a rookie, may right now be in the lead for the #2 outside WR role opposite Jordy Nelson.

Remember, Packers use a ton of 3-wide sets. So the 3rd WR (James Jones in the past) still plays a large, starting role in that offense.

Especially now with Jermichael Finley gone, having another relatively tall (6'3") target to throw to is a plus.

Boykin played outside on every snap against the Rams in their starting 3 WR set.

#17 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

Boykin played outside on every snap against the Rams in their starting 3 WR set.

I don't think Boykin is necessarily unpassable on the depth chart, is all.

Granted, I recognize that rookies rarely start for the Packers. However, I could definitely see Jeff Janis making a push for that spot on the depth chart very early into the season due to his Elite 4.3 speed. They're going to want to get that on the field.

#18 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

I don't think Boykin is necessarily unpassable on the depth chart, is all.

Granted, I recognize that rookies rarely start for the Packers. However, I could definitely see Jeff Janis making a push for that spot on the depth chart very early into the season due to his Elite 4.3 speed. They're going to want to get that on the field.

James Jones didn't have elite speed either. McCarthy has never been someone that puts tons of emphasis on elite speed. Just look at all the WR he has used since he became a HC. They were all guys who ran close to 4.5. What matters most to him is if they can catch and how good their route running is. The Packers playbook is all about timing and route running. That's why they've passed on some of the WR's in the draft.

Edited by Sine_cera, 19 August 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#19 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

I get that. I really do.

That doesn't negate the fact that explosive playmakers need to be...explosive.

#20 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

I get that. I really do.

That doesn't negate the fact that explosive playmakers need to be...explosive.

I understand but don't put too much emphasis on how fast he is. If he can't catch or run the correct routes (like he has several times already in practices) then it doesn't matter.

Trust me, Packers fans (including me) have been wanting a burner like Mike Wallace for a while to help stretch the field but McCarthy believes in his philosphy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users