147 replies to this topic

#1 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Returning from foot surgery can be a lengthy process -- Dobson has yet to practice after undergoing surgery on a stress fracture in March -- but there have been recent signs of progress for him. He was able to do some non-contact work Monday, and as long as his recovery stays on track, he'll have little to no competition as he auditions for the role of New England's primary deep threat at receiver.
@MikeBaileyNFL

#2 hines

hines

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I don't understand this assumption that Thompkins just fades away and Dobson takes the job immediately. Brady and Belicheck have been super high on Thompkins and he's gotten great reports from camp and put up good performances so far in the games. I don't think Dobson just strolls back into a starting job

#3 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't understand this assumption that Thompkins just fades away and Dobson takes the job immediately. Brady and Belicheck have been super high on Thompkins and he's gotten great reports from camp and put up good performances so far in the games. I don't think Dobson just strolls back into a starting job

Dobson is the X receiver. Last year it was all Thompkins preseason and then when the season started it was pretty much Dobson. He's the prototypical deep threat, speed and size
The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

#4 BigStuck

BigStuck

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

I think Thompkins is the guy to own

#5 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

Dobson is the guy if he can get healthy.

Pats need him to stretch the defense.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer
RB: Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Charles Sims
WR: Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Rueben Randle, Odell Beckham, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#6 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I don't think Thompkins is talented enough to become a major fantasy factor. He may start by default if Dobson can't stay healthy. Dobson was intriguing because I do think his talent in that offense had some upside to it. As it stands, I wouldn't want either of them now. If Dobson gets healthy then he becomes a guy to monitor.

#7 hines

hines

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Dobson is the X receiver. Last year it was all Thompkins preseason and then when the season started it was pretty much Dobson. He's the prototypical deep threat, speed and size

so why are Brady and Belicheck talking up Thompkins so much again? clearly they are impressed, and he has carried it over to yesterday's game. I don't think Dobson is such a stud that they just bench Thompkins for good if Dobson gets healthy after being so impressed by him.

#8 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

so why are Brady and Belicheck talking up Thompkins so much again? clearly they are impressed, and he has carried it over to yesterday's game. I don't think Dobson is such a stud that they just bench Thompkins for good if Dobson gets healthy after being so impressed by him.

Guess we'll see then
The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

#9 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Going currently in the 15th round...If dude can stay healthy, BIG time value here IMO. I realize that may be a BIG IF too.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#10 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Going currently in the 15th round...If dude can stay healthy, BIG time value here IMO. I realize that may be a BIG IF too.

Interesting. Thompkins supporters. Dobson supporters. And LaFell supporters. What if the starters are Gronk, Vereen, Edelman, and Amendola and...wonder of wonders...they stay largely healthy? More improbable things have happened.

#11 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Interesting. Thompkins supporters. Dobson supporters. And LaFell supporters. What if the starters are Gronk, Vereen, Edelman, and Amendola and...wonder of wonders...they stay largely healthy? More improbable things have happened.

None of those four guys with the possible exception of Gronk are guys who stretch the field. All of them are possession receivers. Dobson potentially adds another dimension to the NE offense. I believe he's more talented than Tompkins and will eventually win out if he can stay healthy.

Dobson is the only WR on the NE roster I'm willing to take a flier on. Large upside at little cost.
  • Z06vette and FantasyFiend like this

#12 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

I'm slightly curious about Brian Tyms, except I don't think it's been Brady throwing him those preseason TDs. I think Tyms has only been running with the 2nd/3rd team offenses.

Kenbrell Thompkins has been coming up with clutch catches like he did last season, but I don't know if that continues if Dobson works his way back into the lineup, or if Gronk + Edelman + Amendola make it so that you don't want to start any NE WR because it will be spread too much around in that offense (+ RBs out of the backfield).

Dobson still has to prove his foot is fixed before ANYTHING else.

Also, I'm not sure if Tom Brady has the same arm strength at this point in his career that he did when he had Randy Moss to throw to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if his arm strength has waned a bit in the last few years.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#13 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

Tyms has gotten all his burn with Jimmy G. at quarterback. He's also suspended the first four games of the season.

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 9 Lineup (6-2)

QB: Ryan Tannehill (waiver claim)
RB: Andre Ellington (via trade)
RB: Ben Tate (6.4)
WR: Dez Bryant (1.9)
WR: Antonio Brown (2.4)
TE: Jordan Reed (waiver claim)
FLEX: A.J. Green (via trade)

FLEX: Darren McFadden (waiver claim)
D/ST: Kansas City (waiver claim)
K:  Chandler Catanzaro (waiver claim)
Bench: Aaron Rodgers (via trade), Isaiah Crowell (via trade), Pierre Thomas (via trade), Delanie Walker (waiver claim), Denver D/ST (waiver claim), Charles Sims (waiver claim)

#14 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Tyms has gotten all his burn with Jimmy G. at quarterback. He's also suspended the first four games of the season.

He won't take up a roster spot while serving his suspension. So that basically, in my mind, gives Dobson the first 4 weeks of the regular season to get right. If his foot isn't healthy by that point, I think the Patriots wouldn't hesitate to put him on IR for the season and promote Tyms onto the 53-man roster, if the coaching staff doesn't think Dobson is going to be able to contribute this year.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#15 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

And as a Patriots fan, I just keep having flashbacks to them trading out of the spot where the Cowboys drafted Dez Bryant.
  • brockpapersizer and mmrodri like this

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 9 Lineup (6-2)

Bench: Aaron Rodgers (via trade), Isaiah Crowell (via trade), Pierre Thomas (via trade), Delanie Walker (waiver claim), Denver D/ST (waiver claim), Charles Sims (waiver claim)

#16 FantasyGuru24

FantasyGuru24

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Any upside here?

#17 Sternes

Sternes

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yeah. He had sure hands in college. Last year I was surprised with the drops, I expect that to improve. I expect WR3 numbers, but I think next year will be his big year. I'm thinking Torrey Smith in this system. Biggest concern I have is health, which is warranted.

Can be had for pretty cheap.
QB - Newton, Pryor
RB - T. Richardson, D. Murray, C. Ivory, P. Hillis, K. Robinson, A. Ellington, C. Ogbonnaya
WR - Marshall, M. Wallace, D. Thomas, TY Hilton
TE - Gates
K - Hauschka
DEF - Patriots

#18 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

HE'S COMING!!!!

#19 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

It's happening...
I have 2 warning points. How many until I get a prize?

#20 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Getchya popcorn ready
Posted Image

Week 9 Lineup (6-2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users