#1 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

No thread?

Bortles looked pretty good. Decision making was on point for the most part. Footwork is still messy. I didn't really like how the ball came out of his hand at UCF, but it looks like the mechanical improvements have really helped with that.
@MikeBaileyNFL

#2 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

No thread?

Bortles looked pretty good. Decision making was on point for the most part. Footwork is still messy. I didn't really like how the ball came out of his hand at UCF, but it looks like the mechanical improvements have really helped with that.

This sounds eerily like every discussion of Matt Stafford from the last few years except that the Jaguars don't have Calvin Johnson.

#3 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

He looked good against the Bears. Showed good accuracy, nice touch, and a strong arm. He's got prototypical size, and moves well. I know Jax said that he will sit the entire year, but I don't buy that. Henne is a below-average starting QB, and isn't their future. Bortles will be starting at some point this year. His future looks bright, and they have plenty of young WR's with upside (Lee, Robinson, Hurns) that could help him succeed.

Edited by deuce4off, 17 August 2014 - 12:28 AM.

• El_Chingon likes this

I couldn't care less about your teams

#4 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

Someone noted that one of the guys with the Jaguars(Bradley maybe?) was on the Seahawks when they made the decision to start Russell Wilson after talks of him not starting. Wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly decided to have him start week 1. He's done well from what I've seen.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-4, 6th place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Boobie Dixon

#5 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Bortles is a big dude. His short term success (whether that be in 2014 or 2015) will be largely dependent on the development of Lee and Robinson. Also, a potential Blackmon return somewhere down the line could really jumpstart this offense and/or Bortles' career IMO.
  • El_Chingon and klove42 like this

#6 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Bortles is a big dude. His short term success (whether that be in 2014 or 2015) will be largely dependent on the development of Lee and Robinson. Also, a potential Blackmon return somewhere down the line could really jumpstart this offense and/or Bortles' career IMO.

I agree. I think they all will develop nicely this year and actually be a breakout offense next year. Bortles has looked great and Lee could be a very nice real life NFL wr.
No Days Off

#7 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

Someone noted that one of the guys with the Jaguars(Bradley maybe?) was on the Seahawks when they made the decision to start Russell Wilson after talks of him not starting. Wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly decided to have him start week 1. He's done well from what I've seen.

There's no way the Jaguars can start Henne for more than a few games. It would be incredibly foolish to delay Bortles' development by starting a stopgap vet for a year. I'd be shocked if Bortles doesn't start the vast majority of games for the Jaguars this season.

#8 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

This .gif is a thing of beauty.
  • Z06vette and jfuchs91 like this
@MikeBaileyNFL

#9 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Pulled off the play action and stepped right into the pass rushers' face to deliver a strike 30+ yards in the air into the middle of three defensive backs. I'm starting to like this guy.

What do you guys think of the Roethlisberger comparisons? Doesn't seem too far fetched.
  • Z06vette likes this

#10 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Pulled off the play action and stepped right into the pass rushers' face to deliver a strike 30+ yards in the air into the middle of three defensive backs. I'm starting to like this guy.

What do you guys think of the Roethlisberger comparisons? Doesn't seem too far fetched.

Not a bad comparison. Bortles is more athletic than Berger ever was though. Arms and size are comparable. The one thing that I'm not sure of is Bortles' ability to extend plays in the pocket. Berger is the best in the business at shaking off defenders and delivering passes under constant pressure and with defenders draped on him. Let's just hope he's closer to Berger than Gabbert.

Edited by deuce4off, 17 August 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#11 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I have to admit when he first came out of college, I wasn't impressed, because his mechanics were awful. But his footwork and throwing mechanics are miles ahead of last year. Combine it with really good vision, a willingness to extend plays with his legs, and yeah, I'm very much on board with him being the highest-ceiling QB by a mile this year.

He still needs to learn not to zero in on his targets, and in the past, he's tried to be the hero and force the ball where he shouldn't, so those will need to be watched for when he plays real games vs. 1st team D's. But, long-term, he's got the mobility, downfield vision and accuracy to be a better version of Rothlisberger for sure. Of course, his floor is a LOT lower too, but the appeal also lies not only in his skills, but the fact his size projects the potential for longevity, and the JAX FO is really headed in the right direction personnel-wise. As a dynasty owner, I'm stoked to own him - realizing 2014 is a redshirt year fantasy-wise (even if he plays right away, he's not even close to QB1 territory).

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#12 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Bortles pulling out his best Dan Marino fake spike impression. Did the refs mistakenly stop the play thinking he spiked it?

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

This guy looks amazing. He shows great composure and decision making for a rookie. I'm not sure how he will be from a fantasy perspective because of the team, but in a few years I think he will be something special.
No Days Off

#14 BigStuck

BigStuck

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Arm strong like bull
  • LukeIV likes this

#15 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'm hoping this kid gets a shot this year. There's a reason why he was the top QB in this year's draft. I think he might be a better roster stash than Manziel if you are looking for a high upside backup QB. Everyone is predicting Manziel will play starting week 5, but for Bortles the picture seems murkier.

#16 ajmyk

ajmyk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

the kid has balls.

He was almost picked twice, but still, there some great plays.

#17 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

I can't remember the last time preseason dictated my feelings on a player as much as it has for Bortles this year. I might be reaching for him in my dynasty draft. The kid looks skilled and composed.

#18 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Still surprised that there's not more talk about this guy. Yes, Jacksonville keeps saying that they're going to keep him on the bench and let him have a redshirt learning year behind the boring Chad Henne. But if preseason is any indication, this guy is a gamer. I think it'll be hard to keep him on the pine especially if the Jags start to lose.

I'm surprised that guys like Manziel and Carr are getting more chatter. Carr may have right now the clearest path to the starting job, so perhaps that's why he's getting more run, but I think Bortles deserves to be in the conversation as well.

#19 Woonga24

Woonga24

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

You guys like Bortles over Carr in fantasy?

#20 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

You guys like Bortles over Carr in fantasy?

Redraft probably more starts out of Carr. Dynasty Bottles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users