1032 replies to this topic

#1 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

I watched Isaiah Crowell highlights and didn't really see anything spectacular. Saw a guy that didn't seem to understand that if he bounced it outside just 5 yards on a number of plays, he'd have easily gained an extra 5-20 rushing yards on those plays. Seemed like he preferred to just run into defenders in the open field so they could tackle him:

He's sort of like a version of Marshawn Lynch that doesn't have breakaway speed, has poor vision, and is less shifty.

I think Ben Tate's role in that offense is extremely secure.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#2 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

I watched Isaiah Crowell highlights and didn't really see anything spectacular. Saw a guy that didn't seem to understand that if he bounced it outside just 5 yards on a number of plays, he'd have easily gained an extra 5-20 rushing yards on those plays. Seemed like he preferred to just run into defenders in the open field so they could tackle him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2G68V6d4uQ

He's sort of like a version of Marshawn Lynch that doesn't have breakaway speed, has poor vision, and is less shifty.

I'm kinda confused. Did anyone else watch that video and feel the same way as Robrain?
I do it for the likes...

#3 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm kinda confused. Did anyone else watch that video and feel the same way as Robrain?

It's not to say that he doesn't have some level of talent, but I saw some poor decision making where he preferred to try to outmuscle the defender almost every time instead of just avoiding them. It lead to him getting tackled needlessly.

Player profiler actually kind of supports that analysis:

http://www.playerpro...isaiah-crowell/

http://www.playerpro...fl/bryce-brown/

It lists Bryce Brown as the closest comparable player based on metrics. The primary difference being, Isaiah Crowell appears to be stronger, but slower. You see that come through in his highlights as his first instinct is to try to outmuscle the defenders (which may work easier in college, but is a taller order in the NFL due to better competition), instead of outrunning them.

Edited by Robrain, 18 August 2014 - 11:45 PM.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#4 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Am I to be clear that we're potentially docking him for not "Bryce Browning" it?
  • FFCollusion likes this

#5 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

It's not to say that he doesn't have some level of talent, but I saw some poor decision making where he preferred to try to outmuscle the defender almost every time instead of just avoiding them. It lead to him getting tackled needlessly.

It lists Bryce Brown as the closest comparable player based on metrics. The primary difference being, Isaiah Crowell appears to be stronger, but slower. You see that come through in his highlights as his first instinct is to try to outmuscle the defenders (which may work easier in college, but is a taller order in the NFL due to better competition), instead of outrunning them.

I re-watched it just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Going back to the Player Profiler scores, I think I can better describe what I was seeing (instead of "poor vision") as a "complete lack of lateral agility". He knows he doesn't have the agility or acceleration to edge around defenders, so he just goes right at them instead. Might not be poor vision so much as knowing his limitations and not bothering to try.

#6 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Well, put me in the Robrain category of 'who the hell is that guy' threads.
Isaiah Crowell has the potential to be this years Stacy, or '12s Morris. Granted it's unlikely, and many obstacles in front of him, I don't feel he's worth being drafted in re-drafts, but put him on your watch list and wait-and-see.

Plays for the Browns who are going to be dedicated to the run this year. He's buried on the depth chart, but has talent. Off field issues took him from a 1-2 round talent, to an UDFA. Tate has been the victim of many injuries through his career, and T.West was already slotted to be involved a decent amount in this offense, but through the first two pre-season games, he hasn't looked very inspiring. West had ball control issues in college and came from a small school. He's talented, but in the event he can't transition to the NFL, and Tate gets injured, you could be looking at the next Feature Back of the Cle Browns.

It's a long shot, but just someone to keep in mind.

Roto Blurbs

Browns signed Alabama State RB Isaiah Crowell.
Crowell (5-foot-11, 224) went to Georgia as five-star prep recruit and started as a true freshman, posting a 185-850-4.6-5 stat line in 2011. He was arrested on felony weapons charges the following June, and promptly dismissed from the team. Resurfacing at Alabama State, he rushed 170 times for 1,121 yards (6.59 YPC) and 15 touchdowns in 2013, adding seven catches. Although Crowell has obvious off-field concerns, he's among the most talented running backs in the 2014 class with explosive lateral agility and a powerful lower body. He ran 4.57 at the Combine with a 9-foot-9 broad jump and 38-inch vertical. Also an able pass protector, Crowell won't need long to contribute to the Browns if his head is on straight. He's a high-ceiling Dynasty prospect and will give Terrance West all he can handle behind Ben Tate.

Alabama State RB Isaiah Crowell clocked an official forty-yard dash time of 4.57 at the NFL Combine.
He weighed in at 5-foot-11, 224 earlier in the week. More Crowell measurements: 23 bench reps, 38-inch vertical, and 9-foot-9 broad jump. They're solid measurables across the board for the onetime five-star Georgia recruit, who transferred to Alabama State after being thrown off the Bulldogs' team. Strictly in terms of talent, Crowell is the best running back in the 2014 class.

NFL.Com Draft Profile

The highly coveted Georgia prep began his college career at Georgia. The five-star recruit, a four-year letterwinner in football and track, rushed for nearly 4,900 yards and 61 touchdowns during his prep career. Was the SEC Freshman of the Year in 2011, playing in 12 games (seven starts) and rushing 185 times for a team-high 850 yards (4.6-yard average) and five touchdowns with eight receptions for 59 yards (7.4) and one touchdown. Missed one game with a sprained left ankle and was suspended one game after failing a UGA-administered drug test. His Georgia career came to a swift end in June 2012 when he was arrested for three weapons charges, including two felonies (the charges were later dropped). A week after being dismissed from the team, he transferred to Alabama State -- an FCS school -- in order to avoid redshirting. Was the SWAC Newcomer of the Year in '12, recording 159-843-15 (5.3) on the ground and 11-95-0 (8.6) receiving in 11 starts. Despite battling a nagging ankle injury for much of '13, he amassed 170-1,121-15 (6.6) rushing and 7-27-0 (3.9) in 12 games (11 starts).
STRENGTHS Good vision and run strength -- runs hard and has a knack for finding seams. Presses the line of scrimmage and shows nice short-area burst to attack the outside. WEAKNESSES Average balance and tackle-breaking power. Cannot make his own holes and goes down too easy on contact, especially inside. Minimal receiving production. Soft, disinterested pass protector. Lacks top finishing speed. Effort waned late in games. Beats to the tune of his own drummer. Extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach. DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7BOTTOM LINE
An adequate-sized back with the run instincts and perimeter running skills to compete for a job in a situational role if he learns to commit himself to the process and figures out what it means to be a pro.

Silva's Ranks:

9. Isaiah Crowell, UDFA, Browns.

From Georgia to Alabama State, Crowell's tape was the most impressive in this running back class, and he is only 21 years old. You could argue Crowell's natural running ability is superior to third-round pick Terrance West's. He also has experience in pass protection. Whether Crowell's head is on straight will determine his Cleveland fate. He was a UDFA due to off-field concerns.

I do it for the likes...

#7 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

Part of it seems to be where he points his hips ("tight hips"?). On the plays where he's bouncing it, when he's running at an angle and doesn't turn his hips towards the sideline (keeping them north/south), he almost never beats any defenders to the outside. When he does turn his hips to the sideline, he almost always makes a play for a bigger gain because he beats that defender.

#8 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Just bringing the conversation along into the appropriate thread here:

Am I to be clear that we're potentially docking him for not "Bryce Browning" it?

#9 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

Saw a guy that didn't seem to understand that if he bounced it outside just 5 yards on a number of plays, he'd have easily gained an extra 5-20 rushing yards on those plays.

It lists Bryce Brown as the closest comparable player based on metrics. The primary difference being...

The Primary difference being that their running tendencies (as you state) are polar opposites?
Crowell doesn't bounce it outside.
Bryce doesn't know how NOT to bounce it outside.

4.59 '40. Your boy Gerhart only ran a 4.50 4 years ago.
I'm not really gunna fight for this guy, but he's in a similar situation to Morris/Stacy were, even if he might not be the same talent as them. Undraftable in re-draft, but watch list him, and keep it in mind, that's all.
I do it for the likes...

#10 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

I re-watched it just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Going back to the Player Profiler scores, I think I can better describe what I was seeing (instead of "poor vision") as a "complete lack of lateral agility". He knows he doesn't have the agility or acceleration to edge around defenders, so he just goes right at them instead. Might not be poor vision so much as knowing his limitations and not bothering to try.

Part of it seems to be where he points his hips ("tight hips"?). On the plays where he's bouncing it, when he's running at an angle and doesn't turn his hips towards the sideline (keeping them north/south), he almost never beats any defenders to the outside. When he does turn his hips to the sideline, he almost always makes a play for a bigger gain because he beats that defender.

#11 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Saw a guy that didn't seem to understand that if he bounced it outside just 5 yards on a number of plays, he'd have easily gained an extra 5-20 rushing yards on those plays.

It lists Bryce Brown as the closest comparable player based on metrics. The primary difference being...

The Primary difference being that their running tendencies (as you state) are polar opposites?
Crowell doesn't bounce it outside.
Bryce doesn't know how NOT to bounce it outside.

4.59 '40. Your boy Gerhart only ran a 4.50 4 years ago.
I'm not really gunna fight for this guy, but he's in a similar situation to Morris/Stacy were, even if he might not be the same talent as them. Undraftable in re-draft, but watch list him, and keep it in mind, that's all.

Disagree. With Morris there was no clear starting RB because of...Shanahan.

Stacy was playing behind Daryl Richardson, who no one should be surprised, probably isn't cut out to be a feature workhorse RB.
  • tsean76 likes this

#12 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

I see a lot of simply getting what's blocked and very poor tackling.

This guy kinda reminds me of some of the predraft hype surrounding Ka'Deem Carey. Some said he was the best back in the draft, yet every video I watched I was unimpressed. Crowell seems similar in that regard.

#13 ajmyk

ajmyk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

i don't know what to think about him.

Edited by ajmyk, 19 August 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#14 swervie99

swervie99

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think FFCollusion summed it up well: he's someone to keep on the radar for re-draft in-season. He'll need injuries to make an impact in 2014. So you can just stop reading now and ignore the rest of my attempts at armchair talent-evaluator/psychiatrist below...

Having said that, I watch those highlights and come away impressed, especially considering he was a true freshman in the SEC. Of course, it's a highlight reel so it should impress. But I see a physical runner with good vision and pad-level, who sets-up blockers, finishes plays with power, and gets yards after contact that lead to first downs. I especially like the play against South Carolina at about 1:33. He gets some serious yards after contact (or should I say yards after collision) on that one. He also avoids penetration in the backfield well, turning potential losses into gains. But again, I'm no scout.

Matt Waldman (The Rookie Scouting Report, Football Outsiders, Football Guys.com) sees him as the most talented back in the class, with feature back potential. He compares him to pre-knee injury Edgerrin James. He also points out that he's a big risk due to maturity issues that could prevent him from ever maximizing his talent and contributing in the NFL. Being an UDFA who will probably be 3rd on the depth chart, and who gave questionable effort when he transferred to Alabama State, will he have the dedication to be a team guy, play special teams, and work his way up the depth chart? He's young, so we'll see. But 2014 seems unlikely for re-draft, without injuries. (Of course, you'd scoop him up in a heartbeat if those injuries happened.) I don't play Dynasty so I don't know what the smart play would be there. Sounds like a big risk.

#15 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

He also points out that he's a big risk due to maturity issues that could prevent him from ever maximizing his talent and contributing in the NFL. Being an UDFA who will probably be 3rd on the depth chart, and who gave questionable effort when he transferred to Alabama State, will he have the dedication to be a team guy?

In regards to his maturity and effort, I agree, but it was nice to read the following: (Granted it could be BS)

Those numbers usually get a running back drafted but not Crowell. He signed a free agent contract with the Browns after the draft ended.
“It was kind of a wake-up call. I felt like I should have been drafted,” Crowell said Tuesday after practice. “I can’t let it worry me. I can’t dwell on it. I just have to move on and work hard and just prove myself on the field.”

After being considered the best high school running back in the state of Georgia to having his college career go awry, Crowell said he’s learned some lessons and owned up to his mistakes, chalking them up to bad decisions and hanging with the wrong crowd.

“I just feel I need to come in, work hard, stay humble, and just work to learn the offense and keep my nose clean,” he said. “That’s what I feel I need to prove to myself.”

I do it for the likes...

#16 footballpimp

footballpimp

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

FWIW i think we all need to take into account he was a freshmen in the SEC. He was a great prospect back then and named AP freshmen of the year. Obviously things have happened but in that specific video credit needs to be given.
12 Team Keeper(4*)
QB-Jake Locker
WR-Demaryius Thomas*
WR-Cordarrelle Patterson
RB-Jamaal Charles*
RB-Doug Martin*
TE-Dennis Pitta
Flex-Jeremy Maclin
BN-K.Benjamin
BN-C.Hyde
BN-M.Evans
BN-B.Cunningham
BN-J.Dwyer
BN-J.Gordon*

#17 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Looks like the best RB on our roster tonight

14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr , Austin Davis
RB- Gio, Stacy, Bryce, Christine Michael, Stewart, Benny Cunningham, Marion Grice, Jonas Gray 
WR- Josh Gordon, Percy Harvin, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, Davante Adams,Justin Hunter, Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Corey Washington
TE- Gronk,Ladarius, Timothy Wright
K- Parkey
DT- Sen'Derrick Marks
DE- Jason Pierre-Paul
LB-Mosley, Kendricks, Whitehead
CB- Jimmy Smith
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, KHunter, Alonso, DWashington, Marquess Wilson, Greg Hardy
5 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks.

#18 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yeah but with 3-4 stringers
The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

#19 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,016 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

He's looked better than West from what I've seen.....by more than a bit.
  • CL3VELANDBR0WNS likes this
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#20 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

He's looked better than West from what I've seen.....by more than a bit.

My exact thinking as well
I was at the game. Tate looked decent. West looked bad. Crowell looked awesome.

14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr , Austin Davis
RB- Gio, Stacy, Bryce, Christine Michael, Stewart, Benny Cunningham, Marion Grice, Jonas Gray 
WR- Josh Gordon, Percy Harvin, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, Davante Adams,Justin Hunter, Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Corey Washington
TE- Gronk,Ladarius, Timothy Wright
K- Parkey
DT- Sen'Derrick Marks
DE- Jason Pierre-Paul
LB-Mosley, Kendricks, Whitehead
CB- Jimmy Smith
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, KHunter, Alonso, DWashington, Marquess Wilson, Greg Hardy
5 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users