• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,819 posts
  • Interests:Stocks, fantasy sports and Real Estate investment....

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

You have to be impressed and excited if you are a Chelsea Fan after yesterday's game. This was a team that was probably one striker away from winning the EPL title last. They could not score goals at a significant pace if their lives depended on it. It was sickening to watch scrubs like Samuel Eto and Fernando Torres bumble their way through the season. They team scored just 71 Goals last season. Man City and Liverpool both netted over 100 goals on the season. If Chelsea scores goals anywhere near the pace they did yesterday they certainly will be the favorites in this campaign.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#2 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Chelsea will cruise the league this year. As difficult as the Premier League is, they should win the league by at least 5 pts, although i'd expect an even bigger margin.

This is the best team they have ever assembled in their entire history. It was a young side to begin with, but after the addition of Fabregas, Diego Costa and Courtois, they have the spine of a team that will play together for many years to come. BTW, how good was Fabregas on Monday, its as if he had never left the Premier League...talk about a seamless transition.

Man City has a nice squad but Chelsea beat them home and away last year...

Liverpool still can't defend and lost their best player over the summer, Man Utd just need an overhaul...too much deadwood in that lineup, not enough quality. Arsenal have been Mourinho's bitches for as long as i can remember, he has never lost to them.

Chelsea might even have a good shot at winning the Champions League. You need a bit of luck to win it, but they got to the semis with a pretty average group last year...they should be right up there again if they get a good draw. A double or even a treble isn't impossible for this team

Edited by predator_05, 19 August 2014 - 07:22 PM.

• Code of Hammurabi likes this
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#3 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

I wish I had been able to see Chelsea the other day, I heard about it, at least. They had a great transfer market and like you guys said, they look like clear favorites right now.

I could see Arsenal sneaking up into 2nd, but they need to identify a striker who can be reliable up top; they still haven't replaced RvP. I say they could finish second because I'm not feeling Man City this year. I don't see Liverpool being a factor in the end, either. I don't like their defense and I question if Sturridge/Lambert/Sterling can get them the scoring they'll need.

Everton strikes me as a team with aspirations but I don't think they have the depth to keep up with the bigger dogs this year. I like Lukaku as much as the next guy, but losing Barkley is a bug hurt.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#4 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

It looks as though Liverpool have added Balotelli. Interesting move. Seems like a cheap transfer considering his ability to the ball in the net. Of course his antics have been well documented through the years.

#5 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

It looks as though Liverpool have added Balotelli. Interesting move. Seems like a cheap transfer considering his ability to the ball in the net. Of course his antics have been well documented through the years.

They're getting him for £16 million, after Southampton paid £12 million for Shane Long. That's a steal, IF Rogers can keep him in check. This is a massive risk/reward situation. I liken it to when the Eagles brought in TO.

If Liverpool wins the title, it'll all be worth it. That's a big IF though.....
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#6 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Balo had a nice run with Milan, 30 goals in 54 games. Disappeared in a lot of big games tho. Still good value when you consider how talented he is, and since he is only 24 years old.

Funnily enough, the contract they signed with him includes some behavior-related clauses, so they won't be risking any embarrassment to the club: http://www.theguardi...brendan-rodgers

Hearing some pretty strong rumors about di Maria wanting to leave Real Madrid, i'm sure Man Utd are working on signing him.

#7 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Should all come down to the back for Liverpool this year. Loveren and Moreno will be a lot better than what they had last season. Agger is back as well and sakho has developed. I still dont see them competing with the Blues and City at the end though. Also, Sturridge and Balotelli are either going to love each other or hate each other. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Code of Hammurabi, 21 August 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#8 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Liverpool dominating Man City thus far. Liverpool looked much improved on the back line. Im shocked

#9 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Soon as I type the above post and brutal mistake at the back by Liverpool. 1-0 City....... Some things never change

#10 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm not watching by judging by the online commentary, City are schooling a mistake-prone Liverpool. Sounds like a typical City performance - 'sleep-walking' through large parts of the game, and then suddenly turning it on for 10-20 minutes as all hell breaks loose.

Big statement on prime time, no less. You know you have a stacked squad when you can bring a stud like Aguero on as a substitute. Gonna be a battle of the blues for the Premier League title.

And Di Maria's signing for Man Utd is almost finalized. Great addition, easily one of the best midfielders in the world...will immediately make them a better team. I think Real Madrid will regret selling him.

#11 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

The Di Maria signing is now official. They have been after him for a while. He will give them better options in the middle behind the striker and Mata. He is an upgrade from Ashley Young. Man U will be better once they get used to playing 3 in the back.

Man U cant seem to do much right these days...I hope that continues B)

Edited by Code of Hammurabi, 26 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#12 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

I can't see them playing 3 at the back. van Gaal did it at the World Cup because his best midfielder was injured. He usually likes a 4-3-3, or some variation of it. They signed Rojo recently, so they have some cover at centre-back. Their fullbacks aren't healthy at the moment.

di Maria can play either centrally or out wide if needed, so he offers a lot of flexibility. I think he plays his best when he attacks from further out; he is really good at setting up an attack either by taking on defenders and looking for a pass or by waiting for the ball and crossing. He also runs more than anyone on the field (if you've ever wondered why he is so skinny... ) and wins the ball off the opposing defenders.

I would guess the lineup would have a back 4 of jones/rojo with shaw and some other fullback (rafael?), and di Maria in midfield with Herrera and somebody else (probably Carrick). Mata further up the field, close to Rooney and rvp doing his thing in and around the penalty box. its a decent lineup if everyone is playing

di Maria's record is amazing, btw. The guy was an assist machine at Real Madrid (22!!!! last year):

Posted Image

Edited by predator_05, 26 August 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#13 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

To be honest, he would be wasted as a wing back, if Man U keeps playing with three back there. Hopefully, Van Gaal reverts back to a traditional 4 man def and relieve him of the duties of a wing back.

#14 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Potential devastating Diego Costa news for Chelsea fans like me. Welp....

#15 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Diego Costa starts!! Mourinho is the Belichick of the Premier League. Never trust any injury news from Chelsea. Should be a fun game.

Stoke coming up with heroic performance at City, leading 0-1 with less than 10 minutes to go!

#16 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Stoke hold on for the win. Huge result. Bit of controversy at the end with Yaya getting a yellow on what looked like a penalty, but Stoke deserved their win. This is why the Premier League is the best league in the world, anyone can beat anyone...never any easy games.

#17 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, hamstring injury, my a**...dude needed just 36 seconds to score. Great pass by the 'Chris Paul' of the Premier League, Fabregas.

makes me feel like an idiot for dropping him from my fantasy team.

aaaaaaaand... now its' 2-0. In 3 minutes. Just give them the trophy already.

#18 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

This game...

It's like playing FIFA. Defenders standing still ball watching

#19 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Fernando Torres needed over 20 games to score his first 4 goals.

Diego Costa has scored 4 goals in his first 3 games. Beast. He'll get 30+ goals easily.

Might be the game of the season, really fun to watch albeit a little frustrating to see such poor defending at times. Mourinho won't be happy with that, but you have to admire Chelsea's offensive firepower. City has equally good offensive talent but their team-play, movement and passing isn't quite as good as Chelsea.

#20 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,819 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

What a game. Was a here in Montreal watching with a bunch of Everton fans. Chelsea won't like the defensive effort but they look unstoppable offensively. What a 180 from last years goal scoring woes. I can't remember the last time I've seen that type of goal scoring display against a team as quality at the back as Everton are. Wow!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users