155 replies to this topic

#1 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

I know there's a ton of us who participate in survivor pools here, so discuss anything survivor related here. Favorite plays, most common plays, plays you'll be avoiding, etc from week to week.
@MikeBaileyNFL

#2 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

I know a lot of people are on the Eagles Week 1, but the Jags scare me. They played tough at the end of last season, and I think Gus Bradley has that team moving in the right direction.

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 8 Lineup (5-2)

QB: Aaron Rodgers (via trade)
RB: Andre Ellington (via trade)
RB: Ben Tate (6.4)
WR: Dez Bryant (1.9)
WR: Antonio Brown (2.4)
TE: Jordan Reed (waiver claim)
FLEX: A.J. Green? (via trade)

FLEX: Darren McFadden (waiver claim)
D/ST: Kansas City (waiver claim)
K:  Adam Vinatieri (waiver claim)
Bench: Isaiah Crowell (via trade), Terrance West (via trade), Pierre Thomas (via trade), Delanie Walker (waiver claim), Bryce Brown (waiver claim), Denver D/ST (waiver claim)

#3 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

The 3 teams I'd key in on for Week 1 are Eagles, Jets, Bears.

Eagles home against Jags good on paper.

Jets home against Raiders, Raiders are a lost team and will be playing 10:00 AM PCT.

Bears home against Bills a good matchup on paper.

After those, a lot of close matchups. This is one of the tougher week 1's for survivor I can remember.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#4 mrblonde1984

mrblonde1984

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Anyone going Minnesota? They play at St. Louis. No Bradford, but that defense could easily force some Cassel turnovers.

2014 Live Draft Hometown League • 12 teams • PPR • 4-point TD pass • Bonuses • Return Yards

Week 8 Lineup (5-2)

QB: Aaron Rodgers (via trade)
RB: Andre Ellington (via trade)
RB: Ben Tate (6.4)
WR: Dez Bryant (1.9)
WR: Antonio Brown (2.4)
TE: Jordan Reed (waiver claim)
FLEX: A.J. Green? (via trade)

FLEX: Darren McFadden (waiver claim)
D/ST: Kansas City (waiver claim)
K:  Adam Vinatieri (waiver claim)
Bench: Isaiah Crowell (via trade), Terrance West (via trade), Pierre Thomas (via trade), Delanie Walker (waiver claim), Bryce Brown (waiver claim), Denver D/ST (waiver claim)

#5 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Any team playing the Giants has to be targeted in September. Their O is going to need at least that long to figure things out...if not longer.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#6 griffin727

griffin727

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I actually might go with the Steelers at home against the Browns. I know it's usually wise to avoid divisional games, but I can't imagine a Gordon less Browns team (with Hoyer coming back from injury) going into Pittsburgh in week one and coming away with a W. Steelers, Bears, and Eagles are under consideration right now for me.

#7 TrueToTheBlue

TrueToTheBlue

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Vegas odds have Eagles, Bears, Steelers, Chiefs, Jets as most likely winners in that order

#8 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

I actually might go with the Steelers at home against the Browns. I know it's usually wise to avoid divisional games, but I can't imagine a Gordon less Browns team (with Hoyer coming back from injury) going into Pittsburgh in week one and coming away with a W. Steelers, Bears, and Eagles are under consideration right now for me.

R.I.P my eliminator Week 3 last year

The setup:

Browns were 0-2 (looked awful) and going to Minnesota

QB Weeden who was expected to have a decent year was hurt and they were turning to Hoyer (who)

Then T-Rich got traded to Indy (a 1st round fantasy pick last year)

I'm going to take Minnesota ALL DAY.

Spoiler Alert: Browns won.

Posted Image
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#9 griffin727

griffin727

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

The setup:

QB Weeden who was expected to have a decent year was hurt and they were turning to Hoyer (who)

Posted Image

Oh I remember, I almost went with the Browns that week too. But the Browns HAD Gordon that week. And I think the Steelers are a better team than the Vikings.

#10 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

ahhhh - one of my favorite things to do...good old Survivor!

Definitely keep an eye on the Vegas Money Lines...

Teams I like Week 1:

Eagles
Bears
Lions - Giants are just a bad team. The Lions front against the Giants O-Line?
Broncos - Probably too early to pick them but they are not losing this game

Stay away from Pitt - The Browns have a top 5 defense IMO and those games are so tough. Steelers have major issues on offense. How many people were on the Steelers last year on opening day vs the Titans? They proceeded to lose to the Titans at home.

Liking the Chiefs too...

Edited by ludawg23, 28 August 2014 - 10:33 AM.

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Vereen, SJAX, Brown

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin, Sanu

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#11 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

The setup:

Posted Image

Oh I remember, I almost went with the Browns that week too. But the Browns HAD Gordon that week. And I think the Steelers are a better team than the Vikings.

You mean went with the Vikings?

Nobody knew Gordon was that good then and nobody thought the Vikings were that bad then either (playoffs previous year). Sure, on Paper the Steelers might be better and Browns might be worse, I can't say for sure though.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#12 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

The setup:

Posted Image

You mean went with the Vikings?

Nobody knew Gordon was that good then and nobody thought the Vikings were that bad then either (playoffs previous year). Sure, on Paper the Steelers might be better and Browns might be worse, I can't say for sure though.

I was on this pick too - doh. I remember the dagger too...a Hoyer TD pass with like 30 secs left to Cameron in back left endzone.

This game also proved how terrible Ponder is/was.

Edited by ludawg23, 28 August 2014 - 10:37 AM.

QB - Rodgers

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#13 griffin727

griffin727

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

I thought the Steelers had won 11 straight home openers but I forgot they lost last year to the Titans. Week one is always tough. In the end I'll probably go with the Bears, but I always like to try to use different teams early than the consensus if possible.

#14 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Pitt-Browns game is dangerous. Hoyer out to prove doubters wrong. Browns have a great defense. Browns have revamped running game. Steelers are no team to write home about. Division matchup.

Too risky.
  • ludawg23 likes this
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#15 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I thought the Steelers had won 11 straight home openers but I forgot they lost last year to the Titans. Week one is always tough. In the end I'll probably go with the Bears, but I always like to try to use different teams early than the consensus if possible.

Which is why so many were on them. Preseason was valuable because it showed us how awful that offense was.

Definitely trying to fade the pack this year. I think when a team is picked by more than 40%, it's worth fading in larger pools.

QB - Rodgers

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#16 Kapics

Kapics

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I like the Jets week 1, mainly because they are playing Oakland at home. Probably the best matchup for the Jets all season and I want to take advantage of it. Thoughts?

#17 93_Confirmed

93_Confirmed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Pick any team playing against the Raiders.

PROFIT!

Josh Gordon Thread - 9/10/14 "Never Forget"

Earned 3 Warning Points

Served 2 Week Rotoworld Suspension 9/10/14 - 9/24/14

#18 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

This is always one of my favorite threads.

Teams I like Week 1:

Eagles
Bears

Stay away from Pitt - The Browns have a top 5 defense IMO and those games are so tough. Steelers have major issues on offense. How many people were on the Steelers last year on opening day vs the Titans? They proceeded to lose to the Titans at home.

Liking the Chiefs too...

None of these teams are a lock.

Eagles-Jaguars might be the biggest trap game, anybody who watched the Jags in pre-season would know. the Jags actually have something resembling an offense and their defense looked pretty damn impressive.

The Bears had the worst run defense in the league and now they are up against the run-heavy offense of the Bills. The Bills also showed a good pass rush in pre-season. I'm never comfortable picking teams when they are clearly on the wrong side of some of these head to head match-ups. I can't imagine the Bears losing but wouldn't be surprised if the Bills run them close and cover. A Bills win wouldn't shock me either. The Bears are a good team, they will win plenty of games and i'd rather save them for future weeks.

Lions-Giants might be a mismatch on paper but the Giants have a much better defense this year. Big question marks around the offense, but it could be a low-scoring game which comes down to turnovers.

Broncos are a solid pick. Colts don't travel well, especially against good teams. You beat the Broncos with a good pass rush and run game (keeping Peyton off the field for as long as possible); the Colts have neither. This is a good pick, but do you really want to use the Broncos this early? They are a popular pick for week 1...wouldn't it be better to go against the grain?

Not too sure about the Chiefs either. A full strength defense kept them in games last year, but their defensive backs are still awful and secondary play suffers greatly without Eric Berry. They aren't a high scoring team either. The Titans have a good OL themselves, which should match-up well against the Chiefs front. Sorry, not touching this one.

People talking about the Jets against the Raiders, i have tickets for this game and while i expect a win...i know they won't have it easy, it just isn't the Jets way. i'm also scarred by the memories of McFadden and Jones-Drew stomping the Jets defense. Sure, it was a long time ago, but i just can't get on board with this purely on gut feel. And i'd rather save the Jets pick for the week they play Buffalo at home, which is $$$$$$$ in the bank.

so with that, my pick for week 1 is the ever reliable New England Patriots. Haven't lost a week 1 game since 2003, and that streak sure as hell won't end against the Miami Dolphins. i pick the Pats week 1 every year, and i don't even think about it. Belicheat probably had a week's worth of sleepless nights scheming for this game.

Another relatively safe pick is the 49ers. Never lost a week 1 game in the Harbaugh era and i can't imagine Dallas' kindergarten defense hanging with Kaep, Gore, Crabtree, Boldin etc. Saints at Falcons are another good pick for the same reason.

good luck everybody, you will need it because most people are knocked out by week 2 or week 3 at the latest... :)
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#19 Coprolagnia

Coprolagnia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

If Schaub is the QB for Oakland then I'm picking NYJ....Coming off a horrible season, and starting this season with an elbow injury on a terrible team. Knowing any day he could lose his starting job to a rookie, means he'll be playing with no confidence and he'll unravel after his first mistake, plus I don't even think Oakland is worthy to be an NFL team. I don't like the NYJ QB but they have a good defense and improved offense with Decker and Johnson.

I wouldn't be confident playing NYJ any other week, so this way I can save good teams for later on while still be confident of my pick. If Carr is the QB I might look at other teams, but probably still pick NYJ.

Edited by Coprolagnia, 29 August 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#20 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

This is always one of my favorite threads.

Teams I like Week 1:

Eagles
Bears

Liking the Chiefs too...

so with that, my pick for week 1 is the ever reliable New England Patriots. Haven't lost a week 1 game since 2003, and that streak sure as hell won't end against the Miami Dolphins. i pick the Pats week 1 every year, and i don't even think about it. Belicheat probably had a week's worth of sleepless nights scheming for this game.

No way I pick the Patriots playing @ Miami. Division games, especially away games are a huge no-no in Survivor pools.

Patriots actually lost their last game there last season in December...this is a stay away game for me easy.

Definitely on board with the Niners but again, do you want to burn them this early? Same with the Broncos.

Bears at home are pretty safe. There's really not much else...

Edited by ludawg23, 29 August 2014 - 11:40 AM.

QB - Rodgers

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users