40 replies to this topic

#1 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

So let me get this straight... Kyle Orton walked away from $3.25 million in Dallas, saying that he wanted to retire. But now, he signs to play for the Buffalo Bills?!

Maybe he still sees himself as an NFL starting quarterback and wasn't content with just holding a clipboard being the sometimes injured Tony Romo? Perhaps he's seen how bad EJ Manuel is and figures he could easily beat him out for the starting gig.

In any case, I don't think he's going to be on many people's fantasy rosters in the near future. But if you're playing in a 16 team 2QB league, then you'll want to take note.

#2 Mad_Jens

Mad_Jens

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

We've got threads for kickers, why not him I guess.

That said I'd probably take a punt on guys like Logan Thomas or Zach Mettenberger before Orton. They'll give EJ at least half a season to fail in Buffalo, even then we finished dead last in almost every passing category last season. We'll be running again.
  • pikerbkb likes this

#3 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

aaah, good old neck-beard.

This guy was my QB for the 2010 season. Orton at QB and Brandon Lloyd at WR...legendary combo, they made it rain every Sunday.

he also broke Green Bay's 15 game winning streak.

so basically, the guy is a football god.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#4 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

They'd be better of having randy Orton.

#5 Blazer

Blazer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Wow .. never thought I'd see an Orton thread again. Honestly, wish they had signed him several weeks ago to see some preseason. Would like to see Orton and Watkins .. EJ is major fail.

12 Team Standard Yahoo League w/ flex (No PPR)
QB - Tony Romo, Cam, Big Ben
RB - L. Bell
RB - R. Hillman
WR - D. Thomas
WR - J. Nelson
Flex - Darren Mcfadden (hope is eternal)
TE - T. Kelce, J. Witten
K - M. Crosby
D - Detroit

#6 Mongeese

Mongeese

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

He just didn't want to go through another training camp.

#7 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

wow i knew EJ was bad, but lol

12 team standard
QB -- Brian Hoyer
RB -- Andre Ellington, Storm Johnson
WR -- Julio Jones, Randall Cobb

TE -- Jared Cook
Flex -- Malcom Floyd
D/ST -- Lions
K -- Nick Novak
Bench --
Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, DeAndre Hopkins, Tre Mason, Matt Asiata, Larry Donnell, Matt Ryan

FIRE GOODELL

#8 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have no doubts at all that Orton will be starting at some point in the next 6 weeks.

EJ will get hurt. And if he doesn't get hurt, he'll play like junk. But I bet you he gets hurt.

Orton is not a top 20 QB in the league but one thing he's not afraid to do is let the ball fly every once in a while and so his presence is only better for Sammy Watkins.

#9 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

So let me get this straight... Kyle Orton walked away from $3.25 million in Dallas, saying that he wanted to retire. But now, he signs to play for the Buffalo Bills?!

Maybe he still sees himself as an NFL starting quarterback and wasn't content with just holding a clipboard being the sometimes injured Tony Romo? Perhaps he's seen how bad EJ Manuel is and figures he could easily beat him out for the starting gig.

In any case, I don't think he's going to be on many people's fantasy rosters in the near future. But if you're playing in a 16 team 2QB league, then you'll want to take note.

He did that because the Cowboys money was fully guaranteed. He makes more money doing this. Making over $3,000,000 holding a clipboard, guy has a good job.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#10 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

He did that because the Cowboys money was fully guaranteed. He makes more money doing this. Making over $3,000,000 holding a clipboard, guy has a good job.

But that's what I don't understand. If he retired, he would have had to pay back $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus? He was scheduled to make $3.5 million this year. He didn't come to training camp, saying he was going to retire. So he decided he's too good to come to training camp, says he's going to just show up before the season starts, so that way he doesn't have to repay his $3 million? So essentially the Cowboys are forced to cut him? Costing him a $3.5 million salary but allowing him to keep the $3 million?

How much is he now making for the Bills? Surely it's not $3.5 million?

So is the issue that he didn't want to back-up Romo? Because it seems like he's possibly making less money now playing for a much worse team. Very confusing. I'm guessing he wanted to go to a place where he might have the chance to start.

#11 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

But that's what I don't understand. If he retired, he would have had to pay back $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus? He was scheduled to make $3.5 million this year. He didn't come to training camp, saying he was going to retire. So he decided he's too good to come to training camp, says he's going to just show up before the season starts, so that way he doesn't have to repay his $3 million? So essentially the Cowboys are forced to cut him? Costing him a $3.5 million salary but allowing him to keep the $3 million?

So is the issue that he didn't want to back-up Romo? Because it seems like he's possibly making less money now playing for a much worse team. Very confusing. I'm guessing he wanted to go to a place where he might have the chance to start.

I think he wanted to retire but also wanted the money. If he retired before the Cowboys cut him then he'd forfeit the money. So he basically held out for a release. Cowboys could have kept him on the roster but they didn't want a non-committed guy as their backup. Once he got cut he was guarantee the money. Now it just sounds like he has had a change of heart on retiring.

#12 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports new Bills QB Kyle Orton will make $5 million this season.
As former Rotoworlder Chris Wesseling points out, that's as much as Josh McCown is making this season. The Bills have clearly lost faith in E.J. Manuel, and appear ready to turn to Orton at a moment's notice. Manuel will keep his starting job to begin the season as Orton gets up to speed on the playbook, but has no room for error. With the Bills hoping to field one of the league's most run-heavy offenses, Orton will be a bottom-barrel QB2 if/when he gets the call to replace Manuel.

Holy cow! I started this thread half-jokingly mainly because I wanted to make sense of the off-season move and his contract situation. But he's getting FIVE MEEEEE-LION dollars?! Now I see why he did it. That's more than he would have gotten with the Cowboys, and he has a legit chance to see meaningful playing time this year.

We may laugh at the neck beard - he's certainly no savior. But if you're a heavily invested Sammy Watkins owner who paid a price to get him, this news must give you at least a ray of hope that the prized rookie might have a halfway decent season.
  • lolcopter and UVA_Drew like this

#13 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

he's actually making $5 million this year with the Bills.

so the decision by Orton really paid off...for both potential playing-time, and in his bank account.

12 Team Auction Draft. Yahoo 0.5 PPR scoring. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. 

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Shane Vereen
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Eric Decker
TE: Greg Olsen
Flex: Reggie Wayne
K: Greg Zuerlein
Def: Detroit

Bench: Stevan Ridley, Allen Robinson, Bernard Pierce, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Knile Davis, Darrin Reaves

#14 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Sammy Watkins might have a shot at legit relevancy this year. The Orton to Lloyd combo a few years back was money.
  • instant290 likes this
12 Team Standard (Pick 11) (4-2)
QB: Jay Cutler,
RB: Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Ahmad Bradshaw, Isiah Crowell, Jerick McKinnon
WR: Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, Mike Wallace, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron, Travis Kelce
Def: Lions
K: Matt Bryant
12 Team 0.5 PPR IDP Dynasty (6-0)
QB: Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Austin Davis
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Lamar Miller, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Isiah Crowell, Terrance West, Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, Shonn Greene, Brandon Bolden, Chris Polk
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Floyd, Percy Harvin, Torrey Smith, Allen Hurns, Brian Tyms
TE: Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Tim Wright
K: Dan Bailey
DL: Chandler Jones, Jason Pierre-Paul
LB: Lavonte David, D'Qwell Jackson
DB: Antrel Rolle

#15 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

He probably just wanted another shot at starting and didnt want to go out as the guy who was benched for Tebow.

#16 raidaz18

raidaz18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Guys Orton WILL be starting as soon as he learns a little bit of the playbook which could take 1-2 weeks.

They're not paying him 5 Million to be a backup. If Manuel doesn't tear it up week 1 he is officially benched for the season.
  • GreatScott! likes this

#17 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Guys Orton WILL be starting as soon as he learns a little bit of the playbook which could take 1-2 weeks.

They're not paying him 5 Million to be a backup. If Manuel doesn't tear it up week 1 he is officially benched for the season.

The hell are you smoking? They also didn't draft Manual in the 1st round last year to bench him for Kyle f*cking Orton.

I couldn't care less about your teams

#18 crusoe

crusoe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

They also saw exactly what they had in Manuel last year. They paid Orton like he's the assumed starter in just a few weeks.

#19 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Cowboys are paying most of the 5 million. Bills aren't paying him that much. I think that's a really misguided blurb from Rotoworld tbh.

They had no backup and needed one, that is it.

#20 raidaz18

raidaz18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

The hell are you smoking? They also didn't draft Manual in the 1st round last year to bench him for Kyle f*cking Orton.

lmao coming from a bias Criminole fan!!

News flash! FSU QB's SUCK in the NFL

Have a nice day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users