Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Rotolab software - worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moneyballers

Moneyballers

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

Anyone have experience with the Rotolab draft software? I have been curious about it for a few years. I am in an AL only keeper league, standard 5X5.

Edited by Moneyballers, 12 March 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#2 Herdfan

Herdfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

I wouldn't bother.  You can basically do the same thing on your own, i.e. make your own projections, rankings, etc.  I purchased this to help me with the draft my first year.  IMO it's not worth it.  I'd prefer to have all of the knowledge in my head than in a piece of software.

#3 kerg1

kerg1

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

I use Diamond Draft software.  As far as I know, it does much of the same work a rotolab, but it is only $15.

You can try the demo out which allows you the use of the database for players A-M.

I primarily use it as a tool to help me keep track of my research, projections and values that I put on the players.

#4 daveyboy

daveyboy

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

I am going into my 21st year of our 4 x 4 AL only keeper league.  Last year was the first time I used RotoLab or a laptop at the draft.  I used to make my own sheets using excel and downloaded projectsion.  Not anymore, this program rocks!  Very flexible, you can update projected stats about every three days or so, and the projections come from Baseball HQ, which IMO is the best fantasy baseball site out there.  The coolest part is it keeps track of in draft inflation and you can easily assess what the other teams's needs are and how much money they have left.  The guy who runs the company is very cool too.  Called me when I had a question and he answered my question and we talked baseball for about 15 minutes.  For me its a no brainer, RotoLab is worth the dough.

#5 MustacheToes

MustacheToes

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

BUMP!

This topic disappeared for a bit, sorry about that guys!

#6 Herdfan

Herdfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postdaveyboy, on Mar 12 2008, 10:31 PM, said:

I am going into my 21st year of our 4 x 4 AL only keeper league. Last year was the first time I used RotoLab or a laptop at the draft. I used to make my own sheets using excel and downloaded projectsion. Not anymore, this program rocks! Very flexible, you can update projected stats about every three days or so, and the projections come from Baseball HQ, which IMO is the best fantasy baseball site out there. The coolest part is it keeps track of in draft inflation and you can easily assess what the other teams's needs are and how much money they have left. The guy who runs the company is very cool too. Called me when I had a question and he answered my question and we talked baseball for about 15 minutes. For me its a no brainer, RotoLab is worth the dough.

I agree with each of the points, the problem is that when I used it, I became too reliant on it rather than trust my own judgement.  Thats why, at least for me, I would rather go with my own analysis than the software.  IMO you would be better off in the long run to read everything you can get your hands on and make your own decisions.

#7 daveyboy

daveyboy

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

I'm already using it before the draft to analyze players and run draft scenarios, so its a great way to do research too. I agree technology can become a crutch, but as long as you put in the time to do research and keep up to date on stuff, the software can be a great tool.

Edited by daveyboy, 13 March 2008 - 05:44 PM.