Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Yahoo vs. ESPN vs. NFL vs. ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

I am going into my sophomore season with ff and I'm just wondering if there are strong preferences out there for different sites to host your league.

Pros?
Cons?

I did 2 Yahoo leagues last year, was fairly happy with them, but then had to fork out 9.99 to get the stattracker. No big deal, but...

well tell me what's up.

I think my sophomore season is going to get very $eriou$.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#2 sinceufc2

sinceufc2

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

Since it's free I've been setting leagues up at yahoo for a long time.  That way more money is in the pot.  Some leagues can get expensive- I think one site charges $150 to run a league there.  Only a complete fool would spent that money on a site instead of putting it into the pot.

With that said I've heard good things about ESPN's free site too so I'm going to try them this year.

Did you watch 86 last night?  Griffing surprised me.  I thought Jackson was going to knock him out for sure.  I do think the fight could have gone either way with the judges but that doesn't take away from the fact that Griffin fought a very good fight.  I think Jackson wins by KO in a rematch.

Lytle was a bloody mess.

#3 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

View Postsinceufc2, on Jul 6 2008, 10:11 AM, said:

Since it's free I've been setting leagues up at yahoo for a long time. That way more money is in the pot. Some leagues can get expensive- I think one site charges $150 to run a league there. Only a complete fool would spent that money on a site instead of putting it into the pot.

With that said I've heard good things about ESPN's free site too so I'm going to try them this year.

Did you watch 86 last night? Griffing surprised me. I thought Jackson was going to knock him out for sure. I do think the fight could have gone either way with the judges but that doesn't take away from the fact that Griffin fought a very good fight. I think Jackson wins by KO in a rematch.

Lytle was a bloody mess.

Thanks for the insight.

And...
I was unable to catch the fights, but watched all the press conferences and interviews online.

Sounds to me like Rampage should have hung on to the belt in terms of "you have to BEAT the champion."

Obviously I'm a Griffin fan and I'm very happy for him but Rampage is a close second. I wouldn't mind seeing Quinton get his belt back.

I heard about Lytle. Could it have been worse than Joe Stephenson vs. BJ Penn? There was more blood in that fight than a Wes Craven movie.

Can't wait for Anderson Silva on the 19th. That guy is scary.

Of course, this all raises the question is there a fantasy MMA league out there?

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

#4 sinceufc2

sinceufc2

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

For the league  I hear ESPN has free live scoring so that alone would give them an edge over yahoo.  I just set up a league over there and it's pretty good with options for standard scoring.

Anderson Silva is one of the best PFP in the world right now.  I'm going to watch the Affliction show on PPV and dvr the UFC show.  

There actually is fantasy MMA at a website I read-people just pick the fights.

#5 rangersfan

rangersfan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

i really like espn. i have two leagues running through them and switched over from yahoo 3 yrs ago. there is the free live scoring, which one poster already mentioned, but espn also gives manaers the ability to replace inactive managers during the season. i laugh so hrd when i see guys get on here and post things like "what do i do with an inactive manager in a yahoo league..." in espn, replace the guy and move on so that one inactive team does not ruin the outcome of the season.

not to mention, espn has a setup for keeper leagues. managers can select how many keepers are kept between seasons, when the keepers are due, etc etc. you dont have to completely recreate the league every year. maybe yahoo has gotten wise and done something similar to this,but i havent heard anything about.

cbssportslien is ok. idont like the visual set up at all, and cant remember if they do free live scoring like espn does. cbs is good for office pools though
16 team dynasty league w/ real life salaries and salary caps:

C: Yadier Molina, Josh Bard
1B: Lance Berkman
2B: Howie Kendrick
SS: Michael Young, Felipe Lopez
3B: Ryan Zimmerman, Scott Rolen
OF: Milton Bradley
OF: Jason Bay
OF: Delmon Young
Util: Aubrey Huff

Bench: Skip Schumaker

SP: Jake Peavy, A.J. Burnett, Johnny Cueto, Matt Garza, Ubaldo Jimenez, Phil Dumatrait, Jeremy Bonderman
RP: Brandon Lyon, Luis Ayala, Juan Cruz, Hong Chi-Kuo, Carlos Villanueva, Manny Delcarmen, Joe Smith, Guillermo Mota

Minors: Mike Moustakas, Jake McGee, Gio Gonzalez, Franklin Morales, Scott Elbert, Brandon Erbe, Dellin Betances, Mark Rogers, Ricky Romero

#6 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Good points, all.

Last year there were at least 2 guys who never changed their lineup.

However, if money is involved, I would have no problem watching some chump leave Larry Johnson in his starting lineup with a broken foot.

Edited by Proteus, 06 July 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#7 jacojax

jacojax

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

How about Fox?
Patriots
Red Sox
Celtics

#8 RestoreTheRoar

RestoreTheRoar

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

I heard Fox is terrible. We use NBCSports commissioner (used to be Rotoworld). I love it. Free live scoring too
10 team, H2H , 5x5 Mixed League
OBP, R, HR, RBI, SB, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
Keep 10 MLB and 8 prospects. Lose round that player was drafted in previous draft.
Round drafted x years remaining is in parenthesis. N/A=contract expires after this year

C-Montero (FA x 3 yrs)
1B-Abreu (rd 6 x 3 yr)
2B-Pedroia (rd 4 x 2 years)
SS-Desmond (rd 21 x 1 yr)
3B-Arenado (rd 22 x 3 years)
OF-Cespedes (rd 14 x 1 yr), Eaton (rd 18 x 4 yrs), D Jennings (rd 22 x 2 yrs)
UTIL-C Davis (rd 18 x 1 yr), Segura (rd 17 x 2 yrs)
BN-Trumbo (rd 21 x 1 yr)

SP-Sheilds (rd 3 x 2 yrs), Salazar (rd 20 x 2 yrs), Richards (FA x 3 yrs), Kluber (rd 10 x 3 yrs), Lyles (FA x 3 yrs), Smyly (FA x 3 yrs), Duffy (FA x 3 yrs), Cingrani (rd 16 x 4 yrs), Eovaldi (FA x 3 yrs), Cobb (rd 9 x 2 yrs)
DL- Harvey (rd 18 x 3 yrs)

Prospects- Correa, Soler, Castellanos, Pederson, Bundy, Foltynewicz, Betts, Montero, Herrera

#9 kfay66

kfay66

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

Does anyone know of a site where you can customize the scoring settings so that it is based on categories (similar to roto-style in fantasy baseball)?  I have been doing a league that is not online (still uses spreadsheets and phone calls for lineups).  I am trying to drag the commish into the 21st century, but he is loathe to change any of the league rules.  We do auction-style with categories for Passing Yards, Passing Touchdowns, Rushing Yards, Rushing TD's, Receiving Yards, etc.  Any advice would be great.

#10 4.12

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

YAHOO implemented keepers this year and my league could not be happier aside from being able to verbally trade draft picks (commish puts them in later) we are able to create expansion team slots by having keepers set but still let the others draft in the first few rounds

#11 bohman

bohman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

cbs is, by most accounts, the place to host fantasy leagues of all types.  they offer everything you expect, as well as original content, solid customer service, and they allow the most customization of your site.  i think its funny that rangersfan doesnt like cbs's visual interface, it makes it very intuitive to navigate and manage.  each to his own i guess.  it is a little expensive, but you cant beat the total package.  yahoo is free, but you get what you pay for.

there have been numerous debates here in the past.  do a search and there should be a bunch of results.
Adam Jones

#12 Rotohuff

Rotohuff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

Fanball and My Fantasy League are both pretty good and about half the price of CBS.

#13 Br0kenB

Br0kenB

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

www.myfantasyleague.com is amazing. We've been running our league there for years and it has yet to disappoint.
Bullets Fantasy Hall of Fame;
2013 - Retirement
2012 - Greg Zuerlein [K - STL]
2011 - Calvin Johnson [WR - DET]
2010 - Mike Williams [WR - TBB]
2009 - Ray Rice [RB - BAL]
2008 - Matt Forte [RB - CHI]
2007 - Brian Westbrook [RB - PHI]
2006 - Steven Jackson [RB - STL]
2005 - Rudi Johnson [RB - CIN]
2004 - Muhsin Muhammad [WR - CAR]
2003 - Peyton Manning [QB - IND]
2002 - Priest Holmes [RB - KC]

#14 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

View Postjacojax, on Jul 7 2008, 12:48 PM, said:

How about Fox?

neh

#15 DirtDog

DirtDog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I heard Fox is terrible. We use NBCSports commissioner (used to be Rotoworld). I love it. Free live scoring too

I checked this site out and it looks real good but what's the deal with the live online draft? It says either the commissioner or the team managers have to enter their players themselves after the draft... Did I just read it wrong or something? I figured an online draft would enter all the players to their corresponding teams on its own.

-Matt
QB: Stafford, Romo RB: CJ2K, Bradshaw, Tolbert, Dwill, Torain
WR: Calvin, Maclin, Dez, Nelson, M Thomas TE: J Graham, A Hernandez
K: Hanson, Vinatieri DST: Texans, Bills

#16 RestoreTheRoar

RestoreTheRoar

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

View PostDirtDog, on Jul 11 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

I checked this site out and it looks real good but what's the deal with the live online draft? It says either the commissioner or the team managers have to enter their players themselves after the draft... Did I just read it wrong or something? I figured an online draft would enter all the players to their corresponding teams on its own.

-Matt

Not sure about that. We do an offline auction draft. So I enter the results at a later time
10 team, H2H , 5x5 Mixed League
OBP, R, HR, RBI, SB, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
Keep 10 MLB and 8 prospects. Lose round that player was drafted in previous draft.
Round drafted x years remaining is in parenthesis. N/A=contract expires after this year

C-Montero (FA x 3 yrs)
1B-Abreu (rd 6 x 3 yr)
2B-Pedroia (rd 4 x 2 years)
SS-Desmond (rd 21 x 1 yr)
3B-Arenado (rd 22 x 3 years)
OF-Cespedes (rd 14 x 1 yr), Eaton (rd 18 x 4 yrs), D Jennings (rd 22 x 2 yrs)
UTIL-C Davis (rd 18 x 1 yr), Segura (rd 17 x 2 yrs)
BN-Trumbo (rd 21 x 1 yr)

SP-Sheilds (rd 3 x 2 yrs), Salazar (rd 20 x 2 yrs), Richards (FA x 3 yrs), Kluber (rd 10 x 3 yrs), Lyles (FA x 3 yrs), Smyly (FA x 3 yrs), Duffy (FA x 3 yrs), Cingrani (rd 16 x 4 yrs), Eovaldi (FA x 3 yrs), Cobb (rd 9 x 2 yrs)
DL- Harvey (rd 18 x 3 yrs)

Prospects- Correa, Soler, Castellanos, Pederson, Bundy, Foltynewicz, Betts, Montero, Herrera