Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Sports Talk Radio Hosts

When I'm not listening to rock, I'm listening to sports talk radio. I'm very thankful for WFAN in NYC. They have several quality hosts throughout the day, but I particularly like listening to Mike & the Mad Dog. Mike Francesa & Chris Russo are both knowledge & get into interesting debates. Francesa is a Yankee fan but honest & objective. Russo is a Yankee-hater but the best kind b/c he gives credit where credit is due & he is almost always fair - almost always!

So when I'm in your town, who should I tune to?

Well you should never come to my town, ATL burbs, WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD! To get to your topic though there isn't s--- to listen out here, and they don't have Mike & Mike in the morning.

I agree..where im from we have noting..thank goodness for ESPN RADIO..Jim Rome i like a lot.

Well you should never come to my town, ATL burbs, WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD! To get to your topic though there isn't s--- to listen out here, and they don't have Mike & Mike in the morning.

Ouch. Well, you can always listen to WFAN online! It's not always just about NYC sports. But I guess NYC-centric sports talk is better than nothing .... or maybe not, lol!

http://www.wfan.com/

Hah, I don't listen to sports on the radio I use to a little bit when I lived in Chicago but I've officially given up on it and I get all my information online anyway.

When I'm not listening to rock, I'm listening to sports talk radio. I'm very thankful for WFAN in NYC. They have several quality hosts throughout the day, but I particularly like listening to Mike & the Mad Dog. Mike Francesa & Chris Russo are both knowledge & get into interesting debates. Francesa is a Yankee fan but honest & objective. Russo is a Yankee-hater but the best kind b/c he gives credit where credit is due & he is almost always fair - almost always!

So when I'm in your town, who should I tune to?

I listen to the FAN and the best by far............and im not gonna spell his name right so oh well................Joe Beningo

Ouch. Well, you can always listen to WFAN online! It's not always just about NYC sports. But I guess NYC-centric sports talk is better than nothing .... or maybe not, lol!

http://www.wfan.com/

nice..............i didnt realize u could hear em live

KNBR San Francisco rules.

Even the morning team of Murph and Mac (Early Morning Drive) are less noxious than most.

Gary Radnich. 9-12

Fitz and Brooks. 12-3

The Razor (Ralph Barbieri) and Mr. T (Rome show favorite, Tom Tolbert) or whoever is filling in for Tommy. 3-7

Good stuff.

as a sirius radio subscriber, i listen to the stern channels all the time. with that being said, i really dig scott ferrall. the guy has balls and says what he feels. now i know why he couldn't keep a job on regular radio. he is the type of guy who should be on satellite

I listen to the FAN and the best by far............and im not gonna spell his name right so oh well................Joe Beningo

Joe Benigno is pretty good, but the greatest thing about him also exposes his biggest flaw. Years ago Benigno was a frequent caller & lucked into his own show on WFAN, which is pretty damn cool! He shows great enthusiasm, BUT he can go overboard & act like a hyperventilating fan at times. When something doesn't go the Mets' way, he may explode & make irrational calls for Beltran to be simply cut outright! How is one supposed to take that seriously? Instead of helping Met fans come down off the ledge, he helps push them off, lol!

Honestly, I am an Avis sports radio listener, and I am lucky to be in Boston. AM 850 WEEI is the best. They have a variety of different shows. They have Dennis and Callahan, Dale and Holly, The Big Show(one of the best might I add), and Planet Mikey.

The Whiner Line is hillarious. I think you can listen anywhere from their website at www.weei.com It is heavily favored towards Boston Sports though, so be prepared. After the Planet Mikey Show(night), the station goes to FoxSports radio I believe, because I hear J.T. the Brick all the time on my way home from work, usually after midnight...And you know HE is a Yankees fan!!!

My favorites on the station are Michael Holly, Mikey Adams, and Glenn Ordway...

Check out the Whiner lines though...I think you can get past ones from their site...

Joe Benigno is pretty good, but the greatest thing about him also exposes his biggest flaw. Years ago Benigno was a frequent caller & lucked into his own show on WFAN, which is pretty damn cool! He shows great enthusiasm, BUT he can go overboard & act like a hyperventilating fan at times. When something doesn't go the Mets' way, he may explode & make irrational calls for Beltran to be simply cut outright! How is one supposed to take that seriously? Instead of helping Met fans come down off the ledge, he helps push them off, lol!

Sounds like someone on these forums *cough*Hutch*cough* B)

i'm surprised no one in NY has mentioned Max Kellerman on 1050 ESPN. Even though he loves the Yankees, i love listening to him. he's got a great show and you can even listen to it online (like I do at work everyday).

i'm surprised no one in NY has mentioned Max Kellerman on 1050 ESPN. Even though he loves the Yankees, i love listening to him. he's got a great show and you can even listen to it online (like I do at work everyday).

I've listened to Max & he's good. Mostly I'll turn to Max when there's a big boxing match-up coming up. I just prefer the hosts on WFAN. Hey, the VAST majority of WFAN hosts are Met fans, but I just enjoy good sports talk.

Thats what I like about him. His passion. I didnt realize he was a caller who lucked into his own show. Wow pretty cool.

Sounds like someone on these forums *cough*Hutch*cough* B)

Hutch is 100 times worse. But both are pretty entertaining.

i just wanted to resurrect this thread to express my extreme displeasure of jim rome.

complete tool box. i will celebrate the day he leaves radio.

i just wanted to resurrect this thread to express my extreme displeasure of jim rome.

The fact that he's had a show for so long is an absolute joke to humanity.

Fransesca was good with Mad Dog, but he is just something else now. He doesn't let anyone speak if they are right and he is wrong. Pretty big joke now. Not to mention he's so extremely anti-Jets it's a mockery.

Rome's show was good back in the day, definitely more up and down now. It has so many inside jokes that it's tough to pick up on a lot of it if you don't listen frequently. I don't listen to him much now, but anytime I do, I'm not up on some of the inside jokes. It's definitely a show you will like more if you listen to it often, even if you are put off by Rome's attitude.

I see how people find Rome to be an arrogant prick, but his show is pretty good compared to most sports talk radio. The local talk radio in Phoenix or San Diego, the two cities I've lived, is just horrible and so is most national stuff. ESPN radio for example. Cowherd, Doug Gottlieb, Mike and Mike, etc? Brutal, absolutely awful. Tony Bruno, Petros and Money are terrible. Pretty much everything I hear on sports talk radio blows. Rome's show is still better than those guys, even if it's not what it used to be.

Love Joe and Agree on all points below. Sad but true.

Living in Silicon Valley, out here we have KNBR which has two stations one with all local stuff and the other some local and some national, mostly ESPN with Tony Bruno in the evenings.

They are the flagship for Giants, 49ers and Warriors so you get a lot of that mixed in. In recent months, there has been a new station, an FM station "The Game" that has come in with big aggressive talk, but unfortunately the on-air talent at this point is not worth listening to. They are the flagship now of the A's, so some A's talk there. Some of the guys are former KNBR "sidekicks" and never got daily shows at KNBR or their sister station 1050 and you can almost hear the chip on their shoulder come out in their voices on air.

KNBR's best show is The Razor and Mr.T, which is their drivetime show from 3PM to 7PM, it actually is on both stations 680 and 1050, so if the Giants are on 680, the show goes on, but only on 1050. Razor is Ralph Barbieri, longtime SF instituion, very big homer of Giants and 49ers, very passionate about things and is a tough interviewer. He is joined by Mr. T, Tom Tolbert, former NBA Player, Golden State Warrior/Arizona Wildcat, did some NBA stuff for a few years and was very good. Great show. They have a lot of knowledge, go in a lot of different directions and have good callers and call screeners, plus very good consistent guests and segments that people look forward to and they do a great job of asking the questions to these guests that the fans want to know and be entertained by.

The rest of the shows are hit and miss, I have friends who like some of them and some that cant stand some of them, for me like I said on any given day they are hit and miss.

As for some of the National Stuff:

Cant stand Rome, and it sounds to me like the calls are recorded? You never hear Rome stop the caller and ask him a question, its like: John in A-town and he rambles on...and thats it. No follow up question, no nothing. Gives me the idea that maybe its recorded?

The guy Ive come to like a lot is Cowherd, he is on 7am out here and last year when driving to work, I would often listen to him, especially during football season when the local was mostly 49ers or offseason Giants and he really grew on me. As a teacher, when I had summers off and was home watching our young kids, summers were always Mike and the Mad Dog on the YES Network during the day.

for my money, colin cowherd is the most annoying sports show host out there today. he seems to always go against popular opinion for no other reason than he wants to argue and have all eyes on him. i appreciate and understand the necessity of having differing viewpoints on these shows, but you've got to have something worthwhile to say in your argument! the arguments he makes to defend his points are rarely based on any substance at all. basically, he offers no real insight to listeners who know anything about sports, he thinks he's way more funny than he actually is, and to me he comes off as pompous and obnoxious.