Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

IDP Questions

Thanks Titanium man,

No problem, Paderriii. Thank Tim for setting all this up for us here.

Now-

Sure be nice if it was a "take 2" for your DL. That's easy: Peppers, Williams.

Can't take Dumervil even if he does have a better matchup- and he does- when you have elite talent.

Atlanta hasn't allowed a Sack at home since Game 1. I'm pretty sure about that. Julius only has had 2 good games against ATL in his last 5.

CLE surprisingly is also tough against the Pass Rush. (Both teams have only allowed 12 on the year.)

This is damn near coin flip action. I wish one of the two had an edge in Tackles. But nope.

So, gotta' go with the playmaker who has been on fire of late: Peppers.

But it could just as easily be tails.

Finnegan.

Bradleyc-

I do my own charts by position (Tackles/Sacks/PDs/TOs, etc).

But there are sites that also have IDP scoring per position. Many just don't break it down far enough though. (Tackles for LB really doesn't tell you if your WLB is in for a good day or not.)

I wish I had a link to such sites I could pass along, but I don't.

However- If you scan the last 15 pages or so of the Football Talk IDP Thread you will see someone post some relevant info. It will take some searching but the posts are there. Check it out and PM that member accordingly.

1 pt for PD; no return yardage.

In that case I'd go with Gamble and Finnegan.

Can't feel bad about starting Harrison. You had to. Try not to resent the guy too much, he has helped you out a bit I would think. B)

PW- I'm going to put Cooper in front of Greenway. I thought about it and I just think it makes more sense.

Stunny- If I was going to bench either I'd lean towards Cooper because I have this strange feeling that Lewis keeps up his recent tear despite what on paper is the statistically inferior matchup.

This comes from analysis not based upon straight stats but what we know of the individual player's styles and characteristics. I feel that Lewis is going to be able to get inside McNabb's head. Lewis can force mistakes and McNabb can make mistakes.

Let's also note that rookie Baltimore Head Coach John Harbaugh got there by tuning his resume up at Philadelphia for the past 10 years. While a Special Teams and Secondary Coach isn't exactly the same as having been their OFF Coordinator, Harbaugh has proven himself a capable HC and thusly should have a good grasp on Philly's gameplan (such as it is, unchanged since the last millenium, set in stone, forever and ever, not to be changed under any circumstance, especially godforbid in-game, even if they're losing). The Defender who will carry most of this knowledge with him out on the field will be Ray Lewis, Captain of the Defense, the Mike who directs traffic.

See? Really attractive on a less than statistical level.

But even though I told you what I'd do, in the end, I can't recommend to you who to play between Cooper and Mayo because, Stunny, statistically I should be touting both of them over Lewis.

I will say this: The reason I'd go Mayo over Cooper is that:

) Mayo has proven to have a higher ceiling;

)Mayo had a great game against Miami in week 3

So, in the very convoluted end: If you want to play it smart go with Mayo and Cooper. They should account for 7ST apiece with upside. If you want to take a chance that my psychological and strategic angles pay off in turnovers, go RayRay.

I think that's the direction i'm leaning towards. RayRay seems good for 5 tackles a game, but without a sack or interception his numbers become ordinary. Thanks again for the input.

I need a little help this week at DB...Im pretty sure these are all decent choices but please pick two out of Josh Wilson (vs WAS), Yerimiah Bell (vs NE) or Oshiomogho Atogwe (vs CHI). Points are as follows: 2 for Solo, 1 for assist and PD, 4 for each INT, Sack and FF. We also get 1 point for every 20 return yards. Thanks for any insight.

your scoring heavily favors guys who just rack up tackles over gambling for picks, so I'd normally start w/the guy you think will be doing the tackling, however josh wilson is GOLD due to return yardage points, assuming he's healthy.

he turned his ankle, or something, earlier in the week, practiced on thursday, I think, and I have no idea what he did today, so try to google up some local beat writer blogs and vet that out.

if wilson is returning kicks on 2 good ankles I'd say he's the pick, followed by bell.

the way you can try to dope this stuff out is to either keep charts, like titman does, find some website that tracks this stuff, or just try to visualize how the game will play out, which is mostly what I do.

learn what different defenses do, how different positions play, etc, and then figure what might happen during the game.

try looking at the play by play of a game, or two, over at nfl.com --- hit ctrl f, search on some guy's name, and you can easily see who he's tackling.

in your above example, i think wilson should produce healthy idp stats just based on the washington offense, but he should also get plenty of chances to return kicks, seeing as how I figure wash can score on seattle.

as a pats fan, I think new england will be able to put long drives together, running the ball a lot, and giving bell plenty of tackle opportunity.

atogwe would worry me a little, as I think he probably plays centerfield more than bell, who should see more run support, and chicago has a good chance to control the game and run the ball 40x --- not to mention, I think bell just outproduces atogwe, unless you were in some big play league and wanted to roll dice on a pick.

these are just my halfass guesses, by the way --- I don't have any crystal ball.

I would caution you on lumping all db's, lb's, etc, together, if you find a stat site, and really try to learn the function of each position, and what their likely opportunity will be against the various offenses.

one of my peeves is when people cite something like "points given up against db's", but fail to differentiate between different safeties, corners, or something like cover 2 corners --- it really makes a difference. 

edit: I really don't follow these guys closely, as none of them are on my team, so just bear in mind these are opinions off the top of my head and you might be far more familiar w/them than I am.

In that case I'd go with Gamble and Finnegan.

Can't feel bad about starting Harrison. You had to. Try not to resent the guy too much, he has helped you out a bit I would think. :)

Thanks T-Man.

Yeah, he's been huge for me B)

Thanks for the help last week guys. Looking for more of the same this week.

Starting 3 DLs:

J Peppers @ ATL

S Cooper vs IND

W Woodyard vs OAK

AJ Hawk @NO

Notable DL names on the WW:

B Chillar @ NO

J Winborn vs OAK

X Adibi @ CLE

Starting 2 DBs:

C Tillman @ StL

B Dawkins @ BAL

Notable DB on the WW:

L McKelvin @ KC - purely a matchup play this week?

I'm able to make roster changes off the WW, but they'll have to remain on my roster for the rest of the season and I'll have to make drops at the respective positions. Playoffs during weeks 14-16.

2/st - 1/at - 1/sk - 2/int - 1/ff - 1/fr - 6/td - 2/sft - 1/pd - 1bk

Again, TIA.

2/st - 1/at - 1/sk

w/this scoring I'd cut peppers and start cooper, adibi, and woodyard.

I think winborn will get support, and he's probably just as good a pick.

if you have to keep them all year you should give some thought to woodyard and adibi's shelf life, because neither of those guys is guaranteed to be starting during your playoffs, so maybe in that respect winborn is the safer pick up.

assuming you get return yardage, I'd take mckelvin over either of those db's this week, although that keeper situation would be a concern.

one thing you might want to do is check out everybody's playoff schedules for match ups.

your scoring heavily favors guys who just rack up tackles over gambling for picks, so I'd normally start w/the guy you think will be doing the tackling, however josh wilson is GOLD due to return yardage points, assuming he's healthy.

he turned his ankle, or something, earlier in the week, practiced on thursday, I think, and I have no idea what he did today, so try to google up some local beat writer blogs and vet that out.

I meant to post this yesterday:

Most Seahawks a go

Wilson moved up to Probable yesterday.

BackaDaBus-

I like Cooper, Chillar and then the dart I threw landed on Adibi.

EOM is right that Peppers shouldn't be all that prolific a scorer in your system.

Then I like Dawkins and McKelvin.

Who do you guys like the least of the following guys in a return yardage and big play heavy scoring format?

Leodis McKelvin @KC

Gibril Wilson @Den

Yeremiah Bell vs NE

Julius Peppers @Atl

Kirk Morrison @Den

Terrell Suggs vs Phi

I can start 5 and I'm leaning towards benching Suggs.

Also, you guys have some of the best IDP advice I've seen anywhere on the internet. Cheers!

Who do you guys like the least of the following guys in a return yardage and big play heavy scoring format?

Leodis McKelvin @KC

Gibril Wilson @Den

Yeremiah Bell vs NE

Julius Peppers @Atl

Kirk Morrison @Den

Terrell Suggs vs Phi

I can start 5 and I'm leaning towards benching Suggs.

Also, you guys have some of the best IDP advice I've seen anywhere on the internet. Cheers!

I'd bench Peppers, actually. He'll give you Sacks, but that's about it, and Atlanta's only allowed 12 of them all year.

Suggs gets some sacks, makes tackles, and has two INT>TD's this year. He's actually your resident Big-Play 'Backer.

Thanks for the comments guys. Note the sacks are essentially worth 2/st + 1/sk = 3pts. Does this change any of the picks?

Peppers has been putting up numbers as of late, 16 last week. Been keeping an eye on DJ's progress, so I hear you on that point.

2/st - 1/at - 1/sk

w/this scoring I'd cut peppers and start cooper, adibi, and woodyard.

I think winborn will get support, and he's probably just as good a pick.

if you have to keep them all year you should give some thought to woodyard and adibi's shelf life, because neither of those guys is guaranteed to be starting during your playoffs, so maybe in that respect winborn is the safer pick up.

assuming you get return yardage, I'd take mckelvin over either of those db's this week, although that keeper situation would be a concern.

one thing you might want to do is check out everybody's playoff schedules for match ups.

The concensus on McKelvin, is purely for this week right guys? Funny because I'm been playing with the idea of starting Bradley (WR@KC) with the hopes that they throw away from McGee. hehe

re: our system. Yes, players with tackle heavy numbers are a joy to have on one's roster.

BackaDaBus-

I like Cooper, Chillar and then the dart I threw landed on Adibi.

EOM is right that Peppers shouldn't be all that prolific a scorer in your system.

Then I like Dawkins and McKelvin.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the comments guys. Note the sacks are essentially worth 2/st + 1/sk = 3pts. Does this change any of the picks?

no, sacks are worthless --- look for nothing but tackles, unless you can find a guy who gets 8 sacks/game.

I'd want about a 4 or 5 to 1 sack/tackle ratio before I started chasing sacks.

Right- I remember Tim hitting upon that point when I asked for clarification.

In a league that scores ST so heavily I would not recommend Peppers this week and he is probably the most expendable considering what quality Tacklers can do in your system.

Von Hayes-

I'll agree with Tim and say keep Suggs in, bench Peppers.

Here is name I have wondered some about the past few days and am curious as to how viable a play he might be. Chris Carr, Tennessee CB AND Return man. Harper looks to be out, Eric King is out, so unless they slide Griffin back to CB, I have to believe he becomes a viable play, no?

Does Chris Carr make for a sneaky start in leagues that award return yards?

Even better was the news that the Chefs are moving Johnson to MLB.

The hearts on my dynasty team grew two sizes that day.

But the real question is: If you could pick up either Johnson or Adibi for the rest of this year, who would you claim?

My head says Johnson, but my heart says Adibi.

I'm looking to pick up Derrick Johnson but i'm trying to decide who to drop between Xavier Adibi & Wesley Woodyard. Which of the two players should i drop for Johnson? Thanks in advance for you help & input.

Solo = 1, Assited = 0.5, Sack = 2.5, INT = 2.5, FF = 1, FR=1, PD = 1

I'm looking to pick up Derrick Johnson but i'm trying to decide who to drop between Xavier Adibi & Wesley Woodyard. Which of the two players should i drop for Johnson? Thanks in advance for you help & input.

Solo = 1, Assited = 0.5, Sack = 2.5, INT = 2.5, FF = 1, FR=1, PD = 1

I like woodyard, but if you need to drop one of the two I'd have to pick on him because his starting days may be numbered.

Does anyone think Dumerville will get any sacks (more than one) this week against the pathetic Raiders? I have Peppers going but could pick him up.

1.5/tackle

4pts/sack

2 / force fumble

Is finnagin still a strong play with the other DBs going down? I have Tillman on the bench vs Rams

i know late question, but another quickie about peppers this week

scoring is 1/ST, .5/AST, 4/SK, 3/FF, 2/FR, 1/PD

notable FAs are seymour, mitchell, tinoisamoa, adibi, mcintosh, gaines adams, keiaho, session

should I drop peppers for some FA or play him ?

thx

DISCLAIMER: My Sunday Morning IDP advice has not been as strong as it should be.

SFDevil- I'm starting Seymour. I recommended Gaines Adams who has the best matchup in a very Deep League to a cat who has me on retainer. Yes, that's for real.

I like Adams this week. I like Seymour but worry about his injury, Warren's health.

I'd play Adams over Peppers. But you cannot cash Peppers in for Adams

Paderriii- You know my opinion. Now let me explain: (SF Devil, this is something for you to read) I recommended Travis LaBoy, frequently injured, sporadic but high scorer (at the time) over Shaun Rogers based on LaBoy's PERFECT Matchup. LaBoy was a ZERO. Rogers outplayed his matchup and had one of the BEST showings by a DL that week.

I can't recommend Dumervil OVER Peppers or Mario despite his superior matchup.

Here is name I have wondered some about the past few days and am curious as to how viable a play he might be. Chris Carr, Tennessee CB AND Return man. Harper looks to be out, Eric King is out, so unless they slide Griffin back to CB, I have to believe he becomes a viable play, no?

Does Chris Carr make for a sneaky start in leagues that award return yards?

Sure.

But it all depends if we're talking 15 yards a point or 25.