Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spundin

Which of these players should I target first

These seem to be the best guys available I have found. Right now, the top guy I am targetting is Clay Buchholz. I think I am going to hold off on using my waiver claim on him this week and use it on Joey Gathright instead. Was wondering out of the rest of this bunch, who would be the best to try to get control of. I get control of these guys for 3 years at $2 in this league I\'m in.

Chase Headley SD 3B - I could see maybe him getting the starting gig next year with the Padres (move Kouz to OF) or being traded to someone who could use him

Adam (Non-Pacman) Jones SEA OF - probably get a starting gig next year if Ichiro isn't back.

Michael Bourne PHI OF - Blocked by Rowand.

Eric Patterson CHC 2B - Blocked by Theriot and DeRosa.

Alexia Casilla MINN 2B - Blocked by Castillo from possibly starting now.

Jacoby Ellsbury BOS OF - probably blocked unbtil next year at the earliest.

Ian Stewart COL 3B - Could be an asset with Helton or Atkins being moved.

Reid Brignac TB SS - Could pass Zobrist up this season.

Andrew McCutchen PITT OF - not producing this season but has a high ceiling.

Jeff Clement SEA C - blocked by Kojima but producing non the less.

Chuck Lofgren CLEV SP - probably behind Miller but seems to have potential.

Carlos Gonzalez ARIZ OF - probably have to be moved in a deadline deal to get a shot.

Fernando Martinez NYM OF - Seems a year away at the earliest.

Colby Rasmus STL OF - Could see him scoring a starting gig next year if he learns to hit lefty's.

Jay Bruce CIN OF - seems to be tearing it up could be promoted soon, trade of Dunn or injuries could make a spot open for him.

Nick Adenhart LAA SP - can\'t see him making an impact til mid July 08.

Clayton Kershaw LAD SP - Seems to have a high ceiling but not sure how fast he will move up.

Blake Hawksworth STL SP - probably 2 injuries away from being called up.

Eric Hurley TEX SP - not sure on his ETA but it seems like he could get a call up in September

Terry Evans LAA OF - to many guys in front of him I\'d have to say

Gio Gonzalez CHW SP - could have a shot this season with a trade to open a spot for him.

Thanks for the help.

1. Bruce- top 5 prospect next year, a total stud, 2nd best position prospect to Justin Upton IMO

2. Bucholtz- will be considered in the same breath as Hughes, Bailey, Lincecum heading into next season

3. Brignac- ss with huge offensive upside

4. Rasmus- is there anything better than a power/speed combo??

5. Ellsbury- will be starting cf for the BoSox next year could be leading off at some point as a rookie, great BA and SBs not much else

6. Carlos Gonzalez- Quentin is ultimately the odd man out when Upton is ready

7. Fernando Martinez- HUGE upside, but at least 2+ years away

Guys not mentioned I like quite a bit:

Evan Longoria 3b Drays

Billy Butler of Royals

Cameron Maybin of Tigers

Billy Rowell 3b O's

Travis Snyder of Blue Jays

Elvis Andrus ss Braves

Lars Anderson 1b Red Sox

Since you are controlling them for 3 years, I'm assuming that counts for this year too. So, you really need production for next year & 2009? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, because that would change my opinion.

Looking to 2008-2009 for production, it has to be:

Ellsbury - could be leading off next season with Crisp gone

Buchholz - depends on if Schilling sticks, but clearly could be #5 starter on Bosox

Brignac - could be ready by mid-2008, best SS prospect with B. Wood @ 3B now

E. Longoria - only real question is with Iwamura & Wiggington, where does he play? Will be better than either, and quickly.

Bruce - another stud in waiting, the only question is when

Others not mentioned with HUGE 2008/2009 potential and who are still down

J. Upton - no way he should be unclaimed, but goes without saying he's #1 right now

B. Wood - if no one claimed him, another stud to grab

The others you mentioned (Martinez, Rasmus, Adenhart, Rowell, Snider, McCutcheon) and a couple of others (Tabata) are all HUGE, but their ETA is 2009 and beyond, which means the last year of your contract, so I'd wait until next year.

Since you are controlling them for 3 years, I'm assuming that counts for this year too. So, you really need production for next year & 2009? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, because that would change my opinion.

Looking to 2008-2009 for production, it has to be:

Ellsbury - could be leading off next season with Crisp gone

Buchholz - depends on if Schilling sticks, but clearly could be #5 starter on Bosox

Brignac - could be ready by mid-2008, best SS prospect with B. Wood @ 3B now

E. Longoria - only real question is with Iwamura & Wiggington, where does he play? Will be better than either, and quickly.

Bruce - another stud in waiting, the only question is when

Others not mentioned with HUGE 2008/2009 potential and who are still down

J. Upton - no way he should be unclaimed, but goes without saying he's #1 right now

B. Wood - if no one claimed him, another stud to grab

The others you mentioned (Martinez, Rasmus, Adenhart, Rowell, Snider, McCutcheon) and a couple of others (Tabata) are all HUGE, but their ETA is 2009 and beyond, which means the last year of your contract, so I'd wait until next year.

Upton, Maybin, Wood, Longoria, and Butler are all gone. A guy just used his waiver claim this week on David Price so I think I'm going to have to take a lserious ook at Wieters if they get him signed along with Weathers for the Rockies. I'm going to target as of now Buchholz, Brignac, Rasmus, Bruce, Ellsbury and Adam Jones since they seem to be the top guys that could make an impact in the next year or two.

Just to clairfy a little bit more, I'm taking over half ownership of this team next year so I'm just trying to get it primed with prospects since the team is in 2nd to last this year. Here's the rules:

Rosters - 25 active & 15 reserve. Reserve players must have the latest year's contract only.

Draft - Auction style-$280 cap per active roster. Reserve squad is drafted in the reverse order of the previous year's standings. If less than 5 reserves are kept extra players are drafted as sandwich picks after each round.

Categories - 6 hitting, 6 pitching.

Contracts - 3 years when drafted or picked up on waivers; 1 more year can be added for an additional $5 in their contract.

Trades - Unlimited until July 31st.. Players traded after then will have $5 added to their contracts, plus the top 3 salaried players cannot be traded. Trading ends on August 31st.

Free Agents - One per week @ $2, with your list due each Sunday by 9pm.

Activation - Players may be activated or reserved anytime

during the week if they are on the DL or if they retire; NOT if they are suspended or go on bereavement leave.

The top 3 winners in each category get $50/$25/$10. The winners of the hitting & pitching categories at the end of each year get an extra $50 for each.

Upton, Maybin, Wood, Longoria, and Butler are all gone. A guy just used his waiver claim this week on David Price so I think I'm going to have to take a lserious ook at Wieters if they get him signed along with Weathers for the Rockies. I'm going to target as of now Buchholz, Brignac, Rasmus, Bruce, Ellsbury and Adam Jones since they seem to be the top guys that could make an impact in the next year or two.

Just to clairfy a little bit more, I'm taking over half ownership of this team next year so I'm just trying to get it primed with prospects since the team is in 2nd to last this year. Here's the rules:

Rosters - 25 active & 15 reserve. Reserve players must have the latest year's contract only.

Draft - Auction style-$280 cap per active roster. Reserve squad is drafted in the reverse order of the previous year's standings. If less than 5 reserves are kept extra players are drafted as sandwich picks after each round.

Categories - 6 hitting, 6 pitching.

Contracts - 3 years when drafted or picked up on waivers; 1 more year can be added for an additional $5 in their contract.

Trades - Unlimited until July 31st.. Players traded after then will have $5 added to their contracts, plus the top 3 salaried players cannot be traded. Trading ends on August 31st.

Free Agents - One per week @ $2, with your list due each Sunday by 9pm.

Activation - Players may be activated or reserved anytime

during the week if they are on the DL or if they retire; NOT if they are suspended or go on bereavement leave.

The top 3 winners in each category get $50/$25/$10. The winners of the hitting & pitching categories at the end of each year get an extra $50 for each.

Yes, your list is very reasonable, and yeah, I'd think strongly about Wieters too - he's probably not until mid-2008, but as a switch-hitting catcher, he might be going top 3 in our AL-only minors draft next year (and we have Buchholz available).

Best of luck,

I think I definitely have to take a look at Wieters as long as he signs based on this possibility.

Catchers tend to pan out less than any other position in the draft, but Wieters is so refined and has such a strong track record that it'd be surprising if he fell victim to the averages. Although he's tall for a catcher, Wieters has the arm and athleticism to stay behind the plate and the Orioles have every intention of keeping him there. He'll focus on his defense and game-calling skills after signing, but Wieters' bat will carry him to the major leagues. Ramon Hernandez is signed through 2009, but the club could rotate the two using the DH spot as early as mid-2008. With 30-homer potential from a premium position and no major flaws to his game, Wieters is an excellent fantasy property.

I would like Buchholz and Adam Jones quite a bit. Jones should be the Mariners right fielder next year because Jose Guillen will be gone. He could play center whether or not Ichiro sticks around, too. Bourn and Ellsbury are intriguing, too. For '08 value, I'd rank them Jones, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Bourn.

IMO (in this order, the outfielders are all close though):

-Buchholz

-Brignac

-Jones

-Ellsbury

-Bruce