Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eventstaff

Minor League Keepers

My mixed, deep, keeper league allows us to keep 5 minor leaguers (no previous MLB experience) on our roster each year. We can promote any of these players during the season if their play warrants but also means dropping a MLB player who is stinking it up. Last year I picked up A. Gordon, D. Matsuzaka, N. Cruz, J. Loney, and J. Baker. I had to drop J. Baker and I am promoting D. Matsuzaka for the start of the season leaving 2 open spots on my minor league roster. I am looking for input on who to pick up during the draft this season. Thanks in advance for your responses.

My mixed, deep, keeper league allows us to keep 5 minor leaguers (no previous MLB experience) on our roster each year. We can promote any of these players during the season if their play warrants but also means dropping a MLB player who is stinking it up. Last year I picked up A. Gordon, D. Matsuzaka, N. Cruz, J. Loney, and J. Baker. I had to drop J. Baker and I am promoting D. Matsuzaka for the start of the season leaving 2 open spots on my minor league roster. I am looking for input on who to pick up during the draft this season. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Who is available? It's pretty hard to make recommendations without knowing the available pool of talent. Perhaps players from the 2006 draft weren't available until now. If so, you'll want to target Evan Longoria, Tim Lincecum, and Andrew Miller.

Let me change things around since it would be too long of a list to show who is available. I am looking at the following players for my minor league keepers. Once again I can select two players that have rookie status or no major league experience. I can keep them for free as long as I don't call them up to my major league roster. Position is not critical so I am just looking for players that have the biggest upside. This is a short list but ....anyway.

Jay Bruce

Andrew McCutcheon

Ryan Braun

Giovanni Gallardo

Fernando Martinez

Seth Elbert

Clay Kershaw

Hunter Pence

Evan Longoria

Tim Lincecum

Miller is already taken B)

I would imagine, as a keeper league you have limited keeeprs.

Given that, you want to spread out which minor leaguers are going to be losing their rookie status. Since Dice-K and Gordon will both lose their rookie status, do you want more guys who will lose their status this year?

If it doesn't matter, then Gallardo is your best bet, with Lincecum probably next since both will likely get called up this year. Pence is an option if you differentiate between OF positions, since he's probably going to start at CF by the end of the year (though he may get traded for pitching) and could give a 20 homer 15 SB production.

The next tier after that (of guys who could possibly get sufficient playing time this year to lose eligibility) are Ryan Braun and Andrew McCutchen. I don't think McCutchen will get called up (nor should he), but there is talk of it.

On the flip side, if you just want guys who have the most upside for prospect lists next year (and will still qualify) are Bruce and Kershaw, followed by McCutchen and Fernando Martinez. Bruce, Kershaw, and F-Mart probably won't be up until '09. Another dark horse guy is Colby Rasmus who will be a fantasy monster. He'll be a higher-average version of the D-Backs Chris Young in 2009, after (or maybe before) Edmonds' contract expires.

That said: I'd rank your list:

Gallardo (Yovanni, actually - low risk/low upside good control guy with decent K numbers)

Lincecum (unhittable, will likely breeze through lineups his first time around and have insane trade value)

Bruce (coming off a pretty bad shoulder injury, and can't hit lefties yet, but he's only 19, and could be an absolute masher with good average and speed)

Kershaw (only 18, so there's a big risk, but his numbers were frightening last year with fantastic K and BB numbers)

McCutchen/Rasmus (similar players - McCutchen probably closer b/c he's on a worse team)

Martinez (only 18, but seems to be on the fast-track. Will probably start at AA this year. Great patience given his age)

Pence (probably won't be a star in the majors or of much use in fantasy circles in the long run)

Braun (3B is insanely deep and you already have Gordon)

Longoria (overrated)

Elbert (poor control - will likely either end up as a closer or have a whip too high to be useful for fantasy purposes)

Thanks for the input Greed. I've had Gallardo pretty high on my list so he's one I'll probably take. I am going to move Lincecum up, heard he might be a closer if Benetiz is traded/injured (whichever comes first). I didn't know too much about Rasmus but might take him just because we have a guy in the league who is a diehard Cards fan and he might overpay to get him later. I like F-Mart a lot but he's too far away right now.

I'd be interested in what the rest of you think too. I enjoy speculating on the youngsters and I'm glad my league places an emphasis on this aspect of the game.

Thanks for the input Greed. I've had Gallardo pretty high on my list so he's one I'll probably take. I am going to move Lincecum up, heard he might be a closer if Benetiz is traded/injured (whichever comes first). I didn't know too much about Rasmus but might take him just because we have a guy in the league who is a diehard Cards fan and he might overpay to get him later. I like F-Mart a lot but he's too far away right now.

I'd be interested in what the rest of you think too. I enjoy speculating on the youngsters and I'm glad my league places an emphasis on this aspect of the game.

I'd take Lincecum and Bruce definately, and probably Gallardo for the last spot.

Let me change things around since it would be too long of a list to show who is available. I am looking at the following players for my minor league keepers. Once again I can select two players that have rookie status or no major league experience. I can keep them for free as long as I don't call them up to my major league roster. Position is not critical so I am just looking for players that have the biggest upside. This is a short list but ....anyway.

Jay Bruce

Andrew McCutcheon

Ryan Braun

Giovanni Gallardo

Fernando Martinez

Seth Elbert

Clay Kershaw

Hunter Pence

Evan Longoria

Tim Lincecum

Miller is already taken B)

geez...how does any keeper league with 5 minor league rosters have so much talent still available?

lincecum is probably the most likely to get major league time this year...i like jay bruce but he probably wont get major league time in 07...pence should get called up by the break...longoria another great power bat...and elbert and kershaw have nice potential as well...

sLim,

There is always a huge number of players available in the minors. Speculating on who will make it and actually help your team is a lot of fun. Here is a partial list of minor league players that are being kept in our league this year...a pretty talented group of players:

D. Barton

C. Young

An. LaRoche

D. Pedroia

J. Fields

J. Koshansky

P. Hughes

Ad. Miller

A. Gordan

D. Matsuzaka

J. Loney

N. Cruz

H. Bailey

M. Pelfrey

S. Rodriquez

J. Windsor

De. Young

T. Tulowitzki

F. Pie

C. Maybin

J. Mathis

C. Denorfia

H. Phillips

B. Wood

I. Stewart

M. Garza

J. Salty (sp) Braves C

J. Upton

B. Butler

J. Clement

sLim,

There is always a huge number of players available in the minors. Speculating on who will make it and actually help your team is a lot of fun. Here is a partial list of minor league players that are being kept in our league this year...a pretty talented group of players:

D. Barton

C. Young

An. LaRoche

D. Pedroia

J. Fields

J. Koshansky

P. Hughes

Ad. Miller

A. Gordan

D. Matsuzaka

J. Loney

N. Cruz

H. Bailey

M. Pelfrey

S. Rodriquez

J. Windsor

De. Young

T. Tulowitzki

F. Pie

C. Maybin

J. Mathis

C. Denorfia

H. Phillips

B. Wood

I. Stewart

M. Garza

J. Salty (sp) Braves C

J. Upton

B. Butler

J. Clement

wow...some guys are keeping sean rodriguez and jeff mathis over guys like jay bruce and hunter pence?...either ur league rules dont allow for add/drops of minor league players...or there are some madd angels homers...

Gents,

Major advice needed!

I have the first pick in the minor league draft of my AL-only keeper league. I was hoping I could draft Liriano as a minor leaguer but our rules won't allow it. Who would you take with the #1 overall pick and who would you target with pick #s 18, 19, 24, 25 (I had a fire sale last year and stocked up on Minor League draft picks)? Here's a brief list of who is available:

Hochevar

Adam Jones

Shin Soo Choo

Jeff Niemann

E. Longoria

Jacoby Ellisbry

Reid Brignac

Nick Adenhart

D Barton

Jose Tabata

Jeff Clement

Alexi Castilla

Travis Buck

Humberto Sanchez

Glen Perkins

Huber

Kevin Slowley

Joel Guzman

Ryan Sweeney

Wes Bankston

Brandon Morrow

Edinson Volquez

THANK YOU.

Gents,

Major advice needed!

I have the first pick in the minor league draft of my AL-only keeper league. I was hoping I could draft Liriano as a minor leaguer but our rules won't allow it. Who would you take with the #1 overall pick and who would you target with pick #s 18, 19, 24, 25 (I had a fire sale last year and stocked up on Minor League draft picks)? Here's a brief list of who is available:

Hochevar

Adam Jones

Shin Soo Choo

Jeff Niemann

E. Longoria

Jacoby Ellisbry

Reid Brignac

Nick Adenhart

D Barton

Jose Tabata

Jeff Clement

Alexi Castilla

Travis Buck

Humberto Sanchez

Glen Perkins

Huber

Kevin Slowley

Joel Guzman

Ryan Sweeney

Wes Bankston

Brandon Morrow

Edinson Volquez

THANK YOU.

it comes down to three people on that list for the #1 pick...hochevar, longoria, and tabata...

hochevar is the best pitcher on the board followed by adenhart...longoria is a good power bat that should be in the pros at the latest of 08...tabata will see the majors the latest of these three...probably around 2010