Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

Michael Taylor OF OAK

Baseball Prospectus has him ranked as the #2 prospect in the Phillies organization, and they (BP) consider him a four-star (out of five) prospect. From looking at his stats, he sounds promising.

Rotoworld only had one small blurb about him that I could find:

Michael Taylor went 3-for-5 and homered in his third straight game Saturday for low Single-A Lakewood.

Even missing the previous two games with back spasms didn't cool him off. Taylor struggled in the New York-Penn League last year after being drafted in the fifth round out of Stanford, but he's hitting .339/.413/.512 in 121 at-bats so far this season. He might yet prove to be a prospect. May. 11 - 3:09 am et

Link to his MILB.com page:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=446345

Anybody got additional info?

From the sounds of it, he'll start in AA. He either takes the leap on a higher level and becomes a legit talent, or probably becomes a fringe prospect if he doesn't show the promise he did since he's older from what I've read.

The BP write up was very favorable, encouraging for those who own him in a dynasty. Baseball America was not quite as high on him, however, as you can see in this subscription-required Hawaii Winter League writeup:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/pros...008/267259.html

Taylor is ranked 9th, with Dom Brown and Drabek both ranked higher.

The accompanying HWB chat, hosted by the same guy that wrote the writeup, is free for non-subscribers and can be found here:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...008/267269.html

he says of Dom Brown "...I know his Phils teammate, Michael Taylor, made the SAL list over him but Brown out-performed him in Hawaii, he's younger and probably has a bit more upside. Taylor also impressed in Hawaii, despite hitting .247."

Further on he says this:

"He was a huge deal in high school in 2004 (No. 99 on our final Top 100 HS prospects going into that year), and just didn't hit for his first 2.5 years at Stanford. When he was drafted in 2007, I wrote this in our draft preview: "Scouts who saw him late saw him good; he had 16 multi-hit games in his final 19 starts. Taylor has shown power to the deepest part of the park and has the highest ceiling on the Cardinal roster. He will be a beast if he learns to turn on inside pitches and develops a bit more patience." He's going to be in the Phils' top 10 and frankly is a better prospect than John Mayberry Jr., who also went to Stanford, also didn't quite live up to expectations there, and now of course both are Phillies. I like Taylor's chances to be a power-hitting corner OF in the next couple of years."

It sounds like Stanford f'd up his swing a bit, and he was slow to develop as a pro because of it. He has lots of power that he hasn't fully tapped into. Werth and Ibanez are blocking him, but if he continues to develop he could be ready for a major league role sometime in 2010.

Just remember, he turned 24 this week, so he was quite old for A-ball. His numbers were good, but actually were merely average to good for someone his age who's possibly being considered as a real prospect. I'm not at all interested in drafting him next year in my keeper leagues due to his age and experience. That said, the numbers were nice, so someone should draft him.

Just remember, he turned 24 this week, so he was quite old for A-ball. His numbers were good, but actually were merely average to good for someone his age who's possibly being considered as a real prospect. I'm not at all interested in drafting him next year in my keeper leagues due to his age and experience. That said, the numbers were nice, so someone should draft him.

He actually just turned 23, and 2008 was his first full year of professional ball.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys...especially the link to the free info at BA (thanks Uncas). Unfortunately, I don't have the subscription to read the paid content at this time (maybe one of these days). I will be considering him in the late rounds of our reserve draft this year. If he's seems like the best available option, I think I might take a flyer on him.

If anyone else has other info to share, feel free. B)

Besides his power potential, I really like the on-base numbers he's posted thus far.

He's defintely worth a late round flyer. I have the BP paid content and what everyone has said on opinions echoes the scouting report for Taylor.

Sorry, 23, you're right. Also, I've changed my mind on him since last year was his 1st full season, and, well, he's 6'6" 250 lbs! I'd definitely take a late round pick in a long-term keeper league and use it on him.

Sorry, 23, you're right. Also, I've changed my mind on him since last year was his 1st full season, and, well, he's 6'6" 250 lbs! I'd definitely take a late round pick in a long-term keeper league and use it on him.

Yeah, he's a big boy. B)

Surprised nobody's bumped this yet. What are your thoughts so far on this 22-year old? He was 3/3 today, and he's .351/.412/.615 on the season with 10 HR's in Double-A. BB/K ratio is 17/23. This guy looks like he's finally translating his tools into performance. He could shoot up prospect lists this year.

Unfortunately, he's in a terrible situation in Philly with Dominic Brown ahead of him as a prospect, and both Werth and Ibanez entrenched at the corners.... maybe he gets traded? The Phillies are said to be shopping for another starter

Too early to tell on Taylor. Dominic Brown on the other hand ... he's for real. But Taylor is not the #2 prospect for the Phillies, I'd rank them like so:

1) Kyle Drabek

2) Dominic Brown

3) Carlos Carrasco

4) Lou Marson

5) Jason Donald

6) Michael Taylor

7) Jason Knapp

8) Zach Collier

9) Travis D'Arnaud

10) Julian Sampson

Surprised nobody's bumped this yet. What are your thoughts so far on this 22-year old? He was 3/3 today, and he's .351/.412/.615 on the season with 10 HR's in Double-A. BB/K ratio is 17/23. This guy looks like he's finally translating his tools into performance. He could shoot up prospect lists this year.

Unfortunately, he's in a terrible situation in Philly with Dominic Brown ahead of him as a prospect, and both Werth and Ibanez entrenched at the corners.... maybe he gets traded? The Phillies are said to be shopping for another starter

Also, important to note that the Phillies OF isn't so set in stone. I don't think they're going to pay Werth when he hits FA after the 2010 season. Mayberry is 100% expendable in any trade, I don't see a future for him with the Phillies.

Realistically I think the Phillies OF goes as follows:

1) Brown is up in 2010 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2011, taking Werth's place who leaves via FA.

2) Taylor is up in 2011 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2012, taking Ibanez's place who leaves via FA.

2009: Ibanez | Victorino | Werth

2010: Ibanez | Victorino | Werth

2011: Ibanez | Victorino | Brown

2012: Taylor | Victorino | Brown

2013: Taylor | Collier | Brown

Also, important to note that the Phillies OF isn't so set in stone. I don't think they're going to pay Werth when he hits FA after the 2010 season. Mayberry is 100% expendable in any trade, I don't see a future for him with the Phillies.

1) Brown is up in 2010 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2011, taking Werth's place who leaves via FA.

2) Taylor is up in 2011 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2012, taking Ibanez's place who leaves via FA.

2011: Ibanez | Victorino | Brown

2012: Taylor | Victorino | Brown

I think its more realistic that Taylor is dangled as trade bait in an attempt to acquire a starting pitcher. With Myers' injury, that rotation is awfully thin, and is an area that the team will need to address in order to get anywhere this season. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Taylor is pretty well blocked by Werth/Ibanez and isn't regarded as highly as Brown is. This frees him up to me moved---and his upside vs. Mayberry's upside makes him a better candidate to be traded, as he would net a better player in return.

Well, I disagree. The post of mine you quoted is actually incorrect. I should have said:

1) Taylor is up in 2010 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2011, taking Werth's place who leaves via FA.

2) Brown is up in 2011 at some point to platoon as the 4th OF, wins full time OF position in 2012, taking Ibanez's place who leaves via FA.

2011: Ibanez | Victorino | Taylor

2012: Taylor | Brown | Victorino

Remember, Taylor is only at AA this year. Let's assume he makes it to AAA late this year or starts in AAA next year. That puts him right on track for a call in mid 2010 should he show he can hit AAA pitching. I don't think he's blocked at all, and while I agree that Brown is a higher touted prospect, he's also a year behind.

Werth is a FA after 2010, so is Victorino. One of them isn't coming back, my guess is Werth, but either way, there will be a spot open, and another the year following. The guy left out here is Mayberry, not Taylor or Brown.

saw taylor play tonight in AA...very impressive physical specimen...

after popping up with the bases loaded early in the game, he crushed one in the 5th for a grandslam.....

he was playing leftfield....wonder if he's capable of playing right, though you'd think they would have him there in AA if he was capable...

Everything I've heard seems to peg him as Ibanez's eventual replacement in left. Right seems designated for Brown should he continue to develop.

Taylor went 3-5 last night at AA Reading, raising his season line to .335/.396/.579, homered for the 3rd consecutive game and 13th time this year, and also stole 3rd base, marking his 11th steal of the year. This guy is shaping up to be a monster of a 5-tool player---both literally (6'6" 250) and figuratively. I feel like he's still flying under the radar some...which is ok with me since it will give me more time to snatch him up in all my leagues!

Taylor went 3-5 last night at AA Reading, raising his season line to .335/.396/.579, homered for the 3rd consecutive game and 13th time this year, and also stole 3rd base, marking his 11th steal of the year. This guy is shaping up to be a monster of a 5-tool player---both literally (6'6" 250) and figuratively. I feel like he's still flying under the radar some...which is ok with me since it will give me more time to snatch him up in all my leagues!

Taylor is putting it into a higher gear now. 4-5 last night with two more doubles. Now hitting .351. Really REALLY like this kid. Shaping up like a June 2010 debut.

Taylor is putting it into a higher gear now. 4-5 last night with two more doubles. Now hitting .351. Really REALLY like this kid. Shaping up like a June 2010 debut.

Yeah Taylor is absolutely on fire right now. Over his last 10 games he is hitting .500 21 for 42. With 5 Doubles, 4 HRs, and 4 SBs!

Yeah Taylor is absolutely on fire right now. Over his last 10 games he is hitting .500 21 for 42. With 5 Doubles, 4 HRs, and 4 SBs!

homer #15 last night..have the feeling he isnt long for AA...

http://www.readingphillies.com/Game0701.htm

gets to hang with raul ibanez for a few days now..

Taylor has been promoted to AAA, which is nice. What ISN'T nice is what Keith Law had to say about him in an ESPN chat today. Law mentioned that a couple of scouts project Taylor to be a MLB-average outfielder and that it is questionable as to whether or not he'll develop any power due to his level swing plane and lack of lower-body use in his swing.

Booooooooo!!!

Taylor has been promoted to AAA, which is nice. What ISN'T nice is what Keith Law had to say about him in an ESPN chat today. Law mentioned that a couple of scouts project Taylor to be a MLB-average outfielder and that it is questionable as to whether or not he'll develop any power due to his level swing plane and lack of lower-body use in his swing.

Booooooooo!!!

Ouch... His AA numbers say otherwise.

Law's a fool in this instance. Oh, and Taylor went 5-5 yesterday, hit for the cycle with 2 doubles.