Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

January 2009 Transfer Window

Shay Given is ready to talk contract with Manchester City in anticipation of a transfer from Newcastle; as expected Steve Harper is tabbed to replace the Ireland keeper at St. Andrew's and signed a three-year extension.

David Beckham admits he's enjoying Italy more than expected, and is unsure about his future with LA Galaxy.

Real Madrid is still hot for Aston Villa winger Ashley Young and are in talks with the Villans over a deal.

Arsenal is close to finalizing the Andrei Arshavin deal.

West Ham have bid $6 million for Spartak Moscow midfielder Radoslav Kovac.

Chelsea striker Claudio Pizarro wants to make his loan spell with Werder Bremen a permanent switch.

Middlesbrough are lining up a previous target, Reading midfielder James Harper.

Shay Given is ready to talk contract with Manchester City in anticipation of a transfer from Newcastle; as expected

Timmah

Looks like city have to come up with a bit more?

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear says Manchester City's offer of £5m for goalkeeper Shay Given is "insulting".

What do you think they will take or need to get for given?

Timmah

Looks like city have to come up with a bit more?

What do you think they will take or need to get for given?

I just got done reading the BBC article....as long as NU keeps that Given is the best keeper in the EPL, then City's gonna have to pay up. A few weeks ago, when the window first opened, Kinnear said that it didn't matter if Given wanted out, they weren't selling.

I actually think the situation is bigger than Given. Kinnear is getting a LOT of heat right now, especially from N'Zogbia. They can't win a match to save their soul, and they're supposedly struggling to pay the bills. They have a Premiership roster, but they're playing like a Championship side, and I'd put money on either Wolves or Reading to put up 3 on them right now....heck, I'd even lay cash if it were at St. Andrew's.

Dispatching N'Zogbia to Arsenal or Lyon would be a blessing at this point; whether or not he should feel insulted, he does, and he won't play for Kinnear. But losing Given would be a dagger. He's been a fixture in net for them, and his departure would essentially be the end of an era. He's not the best keeper, but he's a sure thing for them in a time of great uncertainty. I've seen him rated at £8m, which is fair. But I wouldn't be surprised to see they rate him a couple million more, just to make it prohibitive to sign him.

We'll see....as of now, I don't think they let him go, and maybe rouse themselves enough of the last four months to earn the 18-20 points they need to avoid relegation. But the schedule ahead is very difficult, and they have to win matches now. If they beat Sunderland on Sunday, I think he stays.

If they don't, all bets are off.

I just got done reading the BBC article....as long as NU keeps that Given is the best keeper in the EPL, then City's gonna have to pay up. A few weeks ago, when the window first opened, Kinnear said that it didn't matter if Given wanted out, they weren't selling.

I actually think the situation is bigger than Given. Kinnear is getting a LOT of heat right now, especially from N'Zogbia. They can't win a match to save their soul, and they're supposedly struggling to pay the bills. They have a Premiership roster, but they're playing like a Championship side, and I'd put money on either Wolves or Reading to put up 3 on them right now....heck, I'd even lay cash if it were at St. Andrew's.

Dispatching N'Zogbia to Arsenal or Lyon would be a blessing at this point; whether or not he should feel insulted, he does, and he won't play for Kinnear. But losing Given would be a dagger. He's been a fixture in net for them, and his departure would essentially be the end of an era. He's not the best keeper, but he's a sure thing for them in a time of great uncertainty. I've seen him rated at £8m, which is fair. But I wouldn't be surprised to see they rate him a couple million more, just to make it prohibitive to sign him.

We'll see....as of now, I don't think they let him go, and maybe rouse themselves enough of the last four months to earn the 18-20 points they need to avoid relegation. But the schedule ahead is very difficult, and they have to win matches now. If they beat Sunderland on Sunday, I think he stays.

If they don't, all bets are off.

I could not agree more in relation to this sunday's game and that should they lose i can see a possible fire sale. The loss of owen after just a short time in the mid week game spells trouble as he is the only one that looks like he can score for them. i can see Sunderland who are not much better over the last few weeks coming out with a 2-0 win.

In relation to Given, yes i agree with the 8 million and that he would be a strong net minder for some team. the signing of Harper to the 3 years is a worry for Given to be kept?

All will be revealed soon. B)

I could not agree more in relation to this sunday's game and that should they lose i can see a possible fire sale. The loss of owen after just a short time in the mid week game spells trouble as he is the only one that looks like he can score for them. i can see Sunderland who are not much better over the last few weeks coming out with a 2-0 win.

In relation to Given, yes i agree with the 8 million and that he would be a strong net minder for some team. the signing of Harper to the 3 years is a worry for Given to be kept?

All will be revealed soon. B)

This cannot help there cause at all either

Newcastle have confirmed that Joey Barton will be out for eight weeks after breaking the fifth metatarsal in his right foot.

The midfielder will have surgery on Friday and it is a double setback for the Magpies, with Michael Owen set to be sidelined for a similar period.

This cannot help there cause at all either

No it doesn't.......even though he hadn't played much this year, they were hopeful about him.

Starting to wonder whatever happened to Xisco....he'd be helpful, no?

EDIT....I just now saw what Kinnear was calling N'Zogbia in that interview....he kept saying "Insomnia". It's close, but if you really want to read into it, you can kinda see what had N'Zogbia so pissed.

A lot to talk about today.....

Barton will be replaced in Newcastle consideration by long-time Bolton midfielder Kevin Nolan

Charles N'Zogbia is getting his wish....but he's going to Wigan, in a deal that will bring defender Ryan Taylor to Newcastle

Blackburn signed much-traveled Egyptian striker El-Hadji Diouf for an undisclosed fee...he'll replace Matt Derbyshire in Rovers' lineup after he was loaned to Greek side Olympiakos

Rovers also rejected a Man City bid for struggling ace Roque Santa Cruz

Arsenal remain confident they will sign Andrei Arshavin, with Man City and Inter Milan still in the running

Chelsea have dipped their toes into by signing Turkey U-19 international Gokhan Toure from Bayern Leverkusen

Instead of an outright transfer, Spartak's Radoslav Kovac will join West Ham on a season-long loan deal

Meanwhile, the Hammers loaned winger Julien Faubert to Real Madrid in a season-long loan deal with an option to make it permanent

Fulham will replace Jimmy Bullard in the lineup by receiving Giles Barnes from Derby on a season-long loan

Ipswich left-back Dan Harding is on his way to Reading on a season-long loan

Gossiping, or, Who else is Citeh after?....

Atletico Madrid is lining up a bid for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso

Hoffenheim are planning a bid for out-of-favor Man City striker Jo

Tottenham will also make a bid for Santa Cruz, with Spurs throwing in striker Darren Bent as part of the deal

If Santa Cruz leave, Rovers will throw £10mil at Portsmouth for Peter Crouch

Man United striker Carlos Tevez is a target for City and Chelsea

Middlesbrough is about to add Reading's James Harper in a £5mil deal

Celtic are working a a loan-deal add of WBA left-back Marek Cech

Newcastle have agreed to an undisclosed fee with Man City for Shay Given, who will join the Citizens pending a physical, and City is still hopeful to finalize a deal for Roque Santa Cruz with Blackburn

Out-of-favor City defender Tal Ben-Haim will join Sunderland for an undisclosed fee

Everton is thought to be close to adding City striker Jo on a loan deal

Fulham are hoping they can bring back striker Brian McBride from MLS, which he returned to last summer

Antonio Valencia rejected a move to Real Madrid from Wigan

Bolton are trying to wrap up a deal for Newcastle and City target, Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso

Reading rejected a Wigan bid for Stephen Hunt, who is still on the Tottenham radar

The window deadline has been extended due to poor weather in England, provided both teams provide email confirmation of the deal, and it can be verified that weather conditions delayed final agreement.

Here's the latest:

Jo's loan switch to Everton has been completed

Liverpool are sending out-of-favor striker Robbie Keane back to Tottenham after only 5 months with the Reds

Aresenal and Zenit have agreed to a fee for Andrei Arshavin, but have some sticking points to work out

Portsmouth have signed AEK Athens midfielder Angelos Basinas to an 18-month loan deal

Wigan have loaned striker Henri Camara to Stoke for the remainder of the season

The Arshavin deal has fallen through, once and for all.

The Russian made it as far as London for his physical, but headed back to St. Petersburg after Arsenal and Zenit were not able to come to final terms. The BBC says that the overall size of the fee was cited as a sticking point, with Zenit demanding a percentage of the contract that Arshavin would receive, in addition to the actual fee they would receive from the Gunners.

The amount of the transfer fee that Arsenal would have been willing to pay ranged from £12-18mil, depending on the source.

The Arshavin deal has fallen through, once and for all.

The Russian made it as far as London for his physical, but headed back to St. Petersburg after Arsenal and Zenit were not able to come to final terms. The BBC says that the overall size of the fee was cited as a sticking point, with Zenit demanding a percentage of the contract that Arshavin would receive, in addition to the actual fee they would receive from the Gunners.

The amount of the transfer fee that Arsenal would have been willing to pay ranged from £12-18mil, depending on the source.

The BBC is now reporting that the Arshavin deal will go through, based on an account provided by the midfielder's agent. He claims that not only are Zenit's claims of a breakdown false, but that all sides have agreed to terms and that the deal, finalized during the extra time provided by the EPL, will become official tomorrow.

There are no terms indicated, but his agent called the "toughest" transfer he ever negotiated.

Elsewhere, Chelsea have landed Inter Milan winger Ricardo Quaresma on loan for the remainder of the season.

Everton is thought to be close to adding City striker Jo on a loan deal

Well I think this will help the Club as they were really struggling up front

Everton have signed Manchester City's Brazilian striker Jo on loan for the rest of the season.

Also this was an expensive 6 month trial for Liverpool. I think they lost around 20million on the deal

Tottenham have re-signed striker Robbie Keane from Liverpool, six months after he left the club for £20.3m.

Well I think this will help the Club as they were really struggling up front

Yeah, they needed to do something....I caught their match with MU on Saturday, and they couldn't get anything going against admittedly white-hot backline. Tim Cahill is out of place up front, and Jo wasn't fitting in at Eastlands. This is a nice re-start for him.

I'm wondering what kind of a '09 Robinho is going to have. I think the rumors of a Chelsea switch this summer are likely to play out.

Also this was an expensive 6 month trial for Liverpool. I think they lost around 20million on the deal

The final figure I saw on BBC said the final price was £12 mil, meaning they took an £8 mil loss, or $11.38 mil USD.

They took a bath, no two ways about it.

Tim Cahill is out of place up front

I'm wondering what kind of a '09 Robinho is going to have. I think the rumors of a Chelsea switch this summer are likely to play out.

Yes Cahill is much better fitting in with Arteta in the middle of the park and just there for the set pieces, as for Robinho well that is a very interesting situation.

If city can not improve this season or at least make a very strong finish, he will be gone for sure.he looks like he wants to play with the best and win (like most players lol), that could mean Chelsea or a move back to Europe. I think it will remain quiet until City's results start the talk one way or the other.

As for his play well he should continue to be a major force up front with he and SWP forming a strong connection

Andrei Arshavin officially became an Arsenal Gunner today. He's eligible to play as soon as this weekend, but hasn't played in a competitive match since the Russian club season ended in November.

AC Milan are preparing a $20 million bid to keep David Beckham in Italy after his loan spell ends next month.

Bundesliga side Schalke apparently tried to claim Glasgow and USA winger DaMarcus Beasley on a free transfer yesterday, but were rebuffed by the Scottish club.

The latest on Becks from the BBC:

David Beckham's lawyers are in talks with Los Angeles Galaxy over extending the midfielder's stay at AC Milan, says the Italian club's general manager.

Beckham, 33, on loan at the San Siro until 9 March, has helped lift Milan to second place in Serie A, scoring two goals and producing good displays.

"Beckham's lawyers are talking to Galaxy," said Milan's Adriano Galliani.

"If they show themselves to be ready to look at a deal, we would be really happy to do so."

Beckham is registered with the Serie A giants until 30 June, so if a deal is agreed with the Major League Soccer side then the loan term can be extended outside the transfer window, which closed on Monday.

Milan have taken that into account by including the England player, who is currently in Glasgow for the Italian club's friendly against Rangers on Wednesday, in their Uefa Cup squad.

"We are looking to get him either on loan until the end of the season or on a permanent basis," added Galliani.

"Otherwise, with the greatest regret from everyone - starting with me - Beckham will have to go.

"Players can make their choices but their clubs can refuse their wishes.

"Moreover, Los Angeles Galaxy have always been very nice to us and have behaved in a very gentlemanly manner.

"In any case, at this moment there are no dealings and we haven't made an offer but Beckham's lawyers are talking with Los Angeles.

"There is time until 8 March to get us round a table and close a possible deal."

The Galaxy refused to discuss Galliani's claims. Spokesman Patrick Donnelly said on Wednesday: "We have no comment to make."

There was apparently a number of late bids that failed somewhere along the process; there's always a likelihood that the moves will be re-visited when the Transfer Window opens in the summer:

Didier Drogba - Chelsea striker would have gone to Inter Milan

Niklas Bendtner - Arsenal striker would have gone to Man City

Lukas Podolski - Bayern Munchen striker was pursued by Man City and Portsmouth

Christian Panucci - Roma defender would have gone to Hull City

Glen Little - Portsmouth midfielder would have gone to Everton

There was apparently a number of late bids that failed somewhere along the process; there's always a likelihood that the moves will be re-visited when the Transfer Window opens in the summer:

Didier Drogba - Chelsea striker would have gone to Inter Milan

Niklas Bendtner - Arsenal striker would have gone to Man City

Christian Panucci - Roma defender would have gone to Hull City

Glen Little - Portsmouth midfielder would have gone to Everton

Timmah

just a small obscure transfer that I though you may like to know about

Robbie"God" Fowler to new A-league franchise Nth Qld Fury for 2 years. Not sure of the salary but the lifestyle will sure beat Liverpool in winter - Beach's great barrier Reef Sunshine

For me this is one that I would have liked to see in the EPL. could be a very good goal scorer with a team like City and the feed from midfield, maybe even Everton??

Timmah

just a small obscure transfer that I though you may like to know about

Robbie"God" Fowler to new A-league franchise Nth Qld Fury for 2 years. Not sure of the salary but the lifestyle will sure beat Liverpool in winter - Beach's great barrier Reef Sunshine

Yeah, I remember seeing that one....I think when I mentioned it it was still in the discussion stages.

Considering that it's currently 15 degrees with a RealFeel of about 1 where I'm sitting, I'd say that it was a helluva move on his part, LOL.

For me this is one that I would have liked to see in the EPL. could be a very good goal scorer with a team like City and the feed from midfield, maybe even Everton??

Everton would be a good spot for him; their striker situation is a bit of a muddle right now, and having a younger player used to the physical style of play in the EPL to build around would be most helpful.

I like Jo, Saha is capable, and when Yakubu is on, they have good options. But Jo is flighty, Saha isn't a lead striker, and Yakubu is alternately hurt and streaky. They have some nice pieces, and Podolski might be what they need to start making serious challenges to the Big 4 (well, 5 now).

Fellow Reading (and USA) winger Bobby Convey has been linked to the San Jose Quakes

No deal was reached and today Reading released Convey midway through his 5th season with the club.

The Philadelphian was one of the original members of the Bradenton Academy - along with Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley and Oguchi Onyewu - the full-time residency program for USA Soccer's U-17 team. He became the youngest player ever signed to MLS when he joined DC United in 2000, and was later acquired by Reading on transfer in 2004 after a failed attempt by Tottenham.

The left wing was a crucial part of the club's record-setting 05/06 campaign that earned them promotion for the first time in club history. You can see a nice collection of his goals from that season here:

That summer, he was one of the few Americans who showed up at Germany '06, and collected 2 assists in the first five matches of the 06/07 Premier League season....and then he hurt his knee.

Two surgeries and a few okay matches later, Convey has failed to regain the form that made him one of the most promising young players the USA had to offer.

His release, while brushed aside by some as lopping off a disappointment, is widely regarded as the departure of a part of team history: http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.p...art=20#p2068159

It's unclear what the future holds for Convey, but you hope that wherever he lands, it's in good hands.

Thanks, Bobby.