Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jose!Jose!Jose!#7

CBSSports vs ESPN vs Yahoo vs. ?

132 posts in this topic

What if any are the major differences between the two league sites? I've used CBS the last 2 years, paying $130 each year. This year the price has gone up to $150 (after a $30 savings for renewing by Fab 5th) and a cheap league trophy. This is a rediculous price...I use ESPN for my football leagues for the past 3 years and never had an issue with it, so I am looking at moving our league there. I can't imagine that CBS has that many more features over ESPN.....

What is everyones opinion?

What if any are the major differences between the two league sites? I've used CBS the last 2 years, paying $130 each year. This year the price has gone up to $150 (after a $30 savings for renewing by Fab 5th) and a cheap league trophy. This is a rediculous price...I use ESPN for my football leagues for the past 3 years and never had an issue with it, so I am looking at moving our league there. I can't imagine that CBS has that many more features over ESPN.....

What is everyones opinion?

I will gladly pay the increase for CBS. I prefer the live scoring, the message board and private messages. The deeper player pool and the fact my league can do auction values and contract lengths on the site. I don't know what they have for new features but IMO ESPN is inferior to CBS.

You are haggling over $20. $20! Split across 12 teams across 25 weeks across about 10 hours a week of play.

Do you realize you're talking about a penny an hour?

You are haggling over $20. $20! Split across 12 teams across 25 weeks across about 10 hours a week of play.

Do you realize you're talking about a penny an hour?

Point being, rather than pay them the $150, we can put that back into the pot and make the payouts bigger.

Point being, rather than pay them the $150, we can put that back into the pot and make the payouts bigger.

Regardless of where the money goes, it's still only $20 which is a tiny fraction of money spread across the entire season. Sportsline is infinitely better than ESPN, and if they doubled or tripled the price, I would still pay for it.

I just brought up this same issue in my dynasty. $150 is a lot of freaking dough to dish out for a league host site. I love CBS, but I'm not even convinced they're worth that especially since our draft is not held and I'll be inputting all their players. I'm going to research ESPN sometime today, and will post what I find out about their baseball leagues for you to look at.

you get what you pay for. ESPN is decent,and if you dont want to pay any money for your league,then this is a good site for you. But CBS is the best.If you have a high dollar league this is the way to go.

you get what you pay for. ESPN is decent,and if you dont want to pay any money for your league,then this is a good site for you. But CBS is the best.If you have a high dollar league this is the way to go.

I'm actually running my basketball league through ESPN, and so far I can't think of a single complaint. The major complaint in the past was you were not able to set your lineup for days in advance, but that is now changed. They finally changed it so ALL of their fantasy sports have the same interface and functions as their Football leagues.

I really don't see what's so majorly bad about ESPN, I think it's a pretty usable interface. I think the major stat F-Up at the start of '07 has left a bad taste in people's mouths but there weren't any problems last year. It has live scoring, a message board and PMs so I don't see how CBS is better in those areas.

I don't see the big deal with CBS personally, all I care about is being able to draft a team, sorting the lineup out and check out the standings. The deep player pool is nice, but it's not like ESPN is like Yahoo where you're waiting for even the top prospects to play a game to be added to the player pool.

Regardless of where the money goes, it's still only $20 which is a tiny fraction of money spread across the entire season. Sportsline is infinitely better than ESPN, and if they doubled or tripled the price, I would still pay for it.

We're really haggling over $150, because ESPN is free.

You say Sportsline is better, and perhaps it is, but how so? That is the crux of the issue here. What makes it worth the extra $150? I have never done an ESPN roto league and am in the league in question. I would really like to know if it is worth it, as I fully intend to win this year and would love the extra payout. B)

off the top of my head.

* Huge player database - it's the only format where you can realistically have a minor league component, which is awesome.

* Massively customizable league set-up: Keeper rules are incredibly flexible as are things like player pool, auction vs. draft, categories, trading of draft picks and really anything else you can think of regarding your desires for a league set-up.

* Tons of stats to do research

* Don't spoonfeed information like "ratings" during the season so people look at a trade offer and say "but I can't trade him - he's currently ranked #32 and you're only offering me a guy ranked #54!"

* Personalization like news stories, polls and logos

* Year-round league with archives of previous year's standings and new articles

* Responsive customer service if there are any issues.

I'm sure others can list their favorites. But the minor leagues, year-round board, and hugely customizable settings are mandatory for me. No other source comes close especially for keeper leagues.

off the top of my head.

* Huge player database - it's the only format where you can realistically have a minor league component, which is awesome.

* Massively customizable league set-up: Keeper rules are incredibly flexible as are things like player pool, auction vs. draft, categories, trading of draft picks and really anything else you can think of regarding your desires for a league set-up.

* Don't spoonfeed information like "ratings" during the season so people look at a trade offer and say "but I can't trade him - he's currently ranked #32 and you're only offering me a guy ranked #54!"

I'm sure others can list their favorites. But the minor leagues, year-round board, and hugely customizable settings are mandatory for me. No other source comes close especially for keeper leagues.

-As of now, I still give them the edge on player database. However, I'm not sure what ESPN will have for 2009 so it might be comparable

-ESPN is extremely customizable with categories as well

-You can find stats anywhere on the website, and more often the not I still search outside of CBS for other stats or a better grouping on them

-That sounds more like a problem with your leaguemates then the site themselves

-ESPN added that feature as well, and their logos are bigger then the ones on CBS

-That also has been added recently, so you don't have to worry about setting up new leagues each year

-I haven't dealt with ESPN customer service so I can't speak for that issue, however the CBS customer service has always been piss poor in my experiences

I just wish MyFantasyLeague would come out with baseball and hoops leagues, they are my favorite by far.

My major beef with ESPN is I can't set my lineups on my phone since I'm blocked from work on practically anything. Yahoo and CBS let you.

I joined an Auction League two years ago which has been running for 7 years now. And you can view almost anything dating back to the first year.

If you're in deep dynasty leagues you can input someone like Danny Almonte as a player if you wanted.

As a guy who plays in both CBS & ESPN. I prefer CBS as well for most of the reasons stated. If you are doing a cheap league, a small league, or a non minor keeper league, then by all means goto ESPN. Buuut if you want real in-depth talent, goto CBS. I also beleive CBS's player profile is more user-friendly to read & make moves.

Like previously stated, the trading of DP's, you also get to see what other trades involving your players were made in other leagues. So say you're wondering what people have been getting for some 3-week wonder, you can look at the players page & see as many as you want, & in what type of leagues( free vs paid, roto, vs H2H).

CBS is just very detailed, and beleive you me, once you keep going to ESPN, they'll be charging too. lol They also keep you up to date on most added players, so if you maybe missed a guy who's been really hot, you can see him, most dropped. It just gives you alot more information hell to use in other leagues, & in general.

We just renewed both of my CBS leagues. Like in my main keeper, our H2H is that we play 3 different teams per week. The site can set that up, or you can customize the schedule. CBS rules! lol....Vegeta

I'd only echo the statement as a Commish of 3 leagues - outside of the *OLD* TQStats (which is nothing like the disaster site they did 2 years ago, and never recovered from), CBS's site is the most detailed & offers the most customization and transfer of teams from year to year.

If you want to do a long-term keeper league or a dynasty league with extra settings, a FAAB run, weekly waivers, etc. - CBS is your site. Yes, it costs more, but your Commish will thank you.

(Now, if someone could create the user friendly old TQStats interface with the real-time Game Tracker of CBS and all of their customized features, there would be serious competition).

My major beef with ESPN is I can't set my lineups on my phone since I'm blocked from work on practically anything. Yahoo and CBS let you.

I joined an Auction League two years ago which has been running for 7 years now. And you can view almost anything dating back to the first year.

If you're in deep dynasty leagues you can input someone like Danny Almonte as a player if you wanted.

You may want to check this again. I was able to set my lineup with my phone on ESPN recently. I didn't know they had that feature until like 2-3 days ago.

cbs can input a dollar amount per player...so for auction keeper leagues...very helpful...

cbs can also input a contract/years on a player...also very helpful for those in contract/keepers

player database is huge...nobody is even a close 2nd...so if ur league is full of prospect luving whores...nobody will complain about how a player wasnt available until they are added to the database...

cbs also allows a minor league lineup...

those are just the things off the top of my head...if ur league doesnt really use any of those features above...ur probably better off not using cbs...i personally prefer yahoo over espn as ive had issues with espn in the past...one year they had an "error" where they lost all stats for the first two weeks...so their correction was, whoever u drafted in the starting spot, u were gonna get their stats for the first two weeks...pretty much no lineup changes for two weeks...

i prefer yahoo cuz both cbs and espn lag like hell at times...the new espn page is even worst...takes like 5-8 secs before i can even click on anything...

(Now, if someone could create the user friendly old TQStats interface with the real-time Game Tracker of CBS and all of their customized features, there would be serious competition).

onroto.com

I've been keeping an eye on them, but haven't heard any real reports on how they've been. They're charging $99, like last year, so it's not free either like yahoo or ESPN...

This year, my league is moving from H2H to Roto, and we have always played on Yahoo. However, we would like to find a site where you can set a maximum number of starts? I'm not sure if Yahoo offers this, if they do then we'll keep it there, if not we'll have to look elsewhere. Does anyone know a site where you can set a max number of starts? Thanks.

off the top of my head.

I do basketball through Sportsline and they added a new feature with player rankings this year. According to their Help Rules, they don't have a published ranking formula-they claim it is based on a bunch of things. Last I checked, Jason Kidd was ranked slightly higher than Chris Paul! In any event, CBS still is by far the best, but I bet they carryover their ranking system to baseball too.

This year, my league is moving from H2H to Roto, and we have always played on Yahoo. However, we would like to find a site where you can set a maximum number of starts? I'm not sure if Yahoo offers this, if they do then we'll keep it there, if not we'll have to look elsewhere. Does anyone know a site where you can set a max number of starts? Thanks.

On yahoo, I'm not sure that it has that but every site offers the 1250 IP MAX per season, it's also changeable in your settings.

I loved the old TQ Stats - I hated it when it blew up a few years ago. I've also been with CBS Sportsline before TQ Stats and then after. I dropped CBS Sportsline when they did away with their chatroom which we used for our free-aagents auctions in season. So joined with TQ Stats far less money and very well run. Pity they blew up.

My complaint with CBS was that I found their as-of transactions a bit cumbersome. So last year I tried Fanball not realizing it was the old TQ Stats dressed up in new clothes. BUT they were absolutely NOT READY. After one week I said I need a new service.

I signed up with Rotowire. Half the price of CBS but from a Commissioner's standpoint ( I post all the transactions) this service had the cleanest and easiest transaction processing I have ever used. They give you a message board, private messages capability so the whole league doesn't have to know who you are buying or trading for, live scoring too. And I believe their player data base is fairly large. Our league loves rookies who are called up in season, and I believe I was able to add 99% percent of them when they were picked up.

Rotowire also has injury updates for every player on anyone's team.

CBS has live scoring and live continuous standings updating. That has value on the last day of the season when guys are sweating out their last chance. But isn't that important during the year.

Yes CBS has a lot of bells and whistles -

Money shouldn't be the issue because in a 10 team league that's just $15 per team for the season. Two dollars and change per team per month. As Commissioner I lay it out for the league and every team reimburses me at the draft, so it really has nothing to do with the prize pool.

Whether you guys are adjusting your own lineups or not is a factor of course - but if your Commish posts the activity then he should want a fast easy and accurate system which Rotowire gives you.

To Dave who asked for a service that limits starts. I had that problem in our league as guys would stream pitchers in for their week of two starts, and take out the ones who were getting just one start. It didn't seem right that a league with a five man rotation just like the bigs could get 180 + starts in a 162 game season. I fixed that quite easily -

Any Starting Pitcher who comes off your bench to go into the starting lineup must stay in for two weeks. Any starting pitcher sent to your bench from the starting lineup must stay out for two weeks. Worked fine. We also PAY real money for buying players in season. Any free agent acquisition costs a minimum of $10. So we have a Free agent Budget cap too. When a Yovanni Gallardo, a Cole Hamels, or a Max Scherzer are called up - there's usually more than a few teams that want such players - so they have to win the player in an auction. So people cannot go through their free agent budget continually buying new SPs every weeks just for the added starts. The money becomes important. If your not playing for money, then the two week in or out rule is your solution.

On yahoo, I'm not sure that it has that but every site offers the 1250 IP MAX per season, it's also changeable in your settings.

on yahoo its max innings...espn is max starts...

I really don't see what's so majorly bad about ESPN, I think it's a pretty usable interface. I think the major stat F-Up at the start of '07 has left a bad taste in people's mouths but there weren't any problems last year.

i will never use espn for any fantasy sports again because of that first week of '07 where all the stats were lost and they defaulted your team back to however it was set for the first game and used those players stats for the whole first week...that was totally f'ed up