Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OLLYHOWLES

Eric Byrnes 2009

hi all. busy doing all my keeper selections and research, this is not so ,much of a keeper question as would have posted it in bench forum.

Eric Byrnes what can we look for from him this year, a bounce back year or another injury plagued season have been searching for news to no luck on him....

He has already been told that he won't start and is likely to be a 4th OF.

He is being shoped by Ariz, but so far they havent' found any takers.

I expect a small bounceback this year, nothing like the 50 sb's from 06, but I think a 20hr, 30 Sb season is a possiblity. I know that hamstrings are really touchy to get 100% completely healed, and it gets tougher as you creep into those mid '30s.

Nothing factual to base this on, just pure speculation on my part.

or 50 sb from 07, losing my mind, can't remember which year.

They should look to the Nats...they love to acquire OFs.

thanks all i could find was he was slated to start in left field

thanks all i could find was he was slated to start in left field

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&ID=3105

It's covered in the top couple of blurbs.

They are slated to start Tracy at first, Jackson in left, Young in center and Upton in Right.

If Byrnes is healthy though, I don't see any reason he won't push for playing time. There are lots of combos that work and Tracy isn't exactly a picture of health, so if he struggles, you could see Jackson move back to first or something similar.

Hidden

I got this guy at $10 in an NL only league, don't like the fact that he is slated to be a 4th OF. Maybe I should toss him back.

he needs to find his way back onto the field first, he may have recovered from the injury but he has position now, and he is going to get the short end of the platoon, so i don't see much this year without someone getting hurt

In short, I would say no.

Not much upside, IMO.

Really? He's two years removed from being a top 10 OF. I would think that he has some upside.

Anyone else thinkin this guy isnt gonna settle for 4th outfielder.....meaning hes gonna push the envelope to the point where theyre gonna hafta start him. He just seems to me like hes out to prove he can repeat 2007 or at least come close to it. He seems really determined if u ask me and I honestly cant see them not playin him somehow.

It looks like to some extent they are going to platoon Upton/Byrnes/Jackson/Tracy/Clark at the OF/1B/3B positions depending on matchups. That, plus age and injury history, will prevent Byrnes from reaching an elite level again IMO.

Anyone else thinkin this guy isnt gonna settle for 4th outfielder.....meaning hes gonna push the envelope to the point where theyre gonna hafta start him. He just seems to me like hes out to prove he can repeat 2007 or at least come close to it. He seems really determined if u ask me and I honestly cant see them not playin him somehow.

too early to tell, he's had 4 ABs and no hits yet.

But yes, he is 2 years removed from having a stellar season...I still think he's got it but that OF is crowded.

The only way I see him getting full-time ABs is through injury or if Mark Reynolds plays himself out of the 3B job. Tracy would move to 3rd and put Jackson back at 1st and Byrnes can play the OF. We'll see...definitely keep tabs on him though.

don't look now, but byrnes has quietly had 2+ hits in his last 4 games. is he SLOWLY returning to 2007 form, or am I just jumping to conclusions? I haven't picked him up nor am I anywhere near close to doing so, but wanted to get people's thoughts on him on whether he can keep it up? That would be sick to have another stud bat in the lineup with Justin Upton!!!!

Obviously not a key player for most, but he got hit by a pitch tonight and will undergo surgery tomorrow. Broken 5th metacarpal on the left hand. Estimated 4-8 weeks recovery.

good, it actually gives a young player a chance to produce where there otherwise would have been a black hole.