Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OLLYHOWLES

Lance Berkman 2009

122 posts in this topic

just wondered what people where expecting out of lance this year, not sure after last years drop off in the second half of the season

Lance Berkman is a pure hitter. He will be fine.

Agreed. Very similar to Carlos Lee, you can pencil Berkman in for .300/30/100 with a relatively even BB/K ratio.

What do you expect out of Lance Berkman this season? He's always been consistantly a top player, and last season he ranked 7th overall for hitters. Do you think he will get 15+ SB again this season? It can be expected that he will hit 30 / 100rbi / 100r / 100bb. Do you consider him a top 10 fantasy hitter? Would you take him over a guy like Soriano or Beltran?

What do you expect out of Lance Berkman for 2009?

He has an "off-year" every other year and this is one of the other years. He's a great hitter, but had a dissauding 2nd half...but I still think he can post a .295-30-100-100 year but I doubt he gets double digit steals.

he wasn't significantly better in the first half, just significantly more fortunate.

The '2nd half slide' had a lot to do with Carlos Lee going down. Berkman is about as automatic as it gets. You're probably looking at 7-10 SB's vs 18, but regardless..

Lance Berkman will miss at least two more days, and could be in danger of missing Opening Day, due to biceps tendinitis.

Berkman was barely able to lift his arm above his shoulder Sunday morning. "It's not pending surgery, I don't think, but it's more painful and worse than I initially thought it was going to be," Berkman said. He was examined by a doctor who deemed the injury non-structural, but Big Puma might require a cortisone shot.

Source: Houston Chronicle, Rotoworld

Should I be worried about this affecting his season?

berkman not starting out like last year! confident a hot streak is coming but is this slow start connected to his injury?

berkman not starting out like last year! confident a hot streak is coming but is this slow start connected to his injury?

Injury or not, he'll deliver consistent numbers: 30ish HR/105+ RBI/90+ R/.310 AVG/10-12 SB

When Berkman is healthy and gets his usual 150+ games (7 of the past 8 years) his absolute worst season was:

110 R, 25 HR, 93 RBI, 5 SB, .288 BA

That was by far his least productive season and there is not a single category he would of killed you in.

As others have stated, Berkman will be fine. I'm not figuring him for a monster year though.

Berkmans stats since 2004...

2004 - 544 AB, 104 R, 30 HR, 106 RBI, .316 BA, 9 SB

2005 - 468 AB, 76 R, 24 HR, 82 RBI, .293 BA, 4 SB

2006 - 536 AB, 95 R, 45 HR, 136 RBI, .315 BA, 3 SB

2007 - 561 AB, 95 R, 34 HR, 102 RBI, .278 BA, 7 SB

2008 - 554 AB, 114 R, 29 HR, 106 RBI, .312 BA, 18 SB

5Y AVG - 533 AB, 97 R, 32 HR, 106 RBI, .303 BA, 8 SB

So I don't know how you can say he has off years any year. Even in a down year (05 doesnt really count since he was injured and came back to early), he puts up top shelf numbers. Hes pretty much the most consitent top tier batter in baseball, right up there with Aramis and Pujols. If he even comes close to his average, I'd be happy.

0 for his last 8 with 5 Ks. He's been terrible. Whats up with this guy?

Has anyone been watching him play? How's he look? Is he looking like he's still going through extended spring training because of the injury or does he still look hurt? I'm thinking about trying to make a deal for him but I wanted to check with the best (you guys) first.

Has anyone been watching him play? How's he look? Is he looking like he's still going through extended spring training because of the injury or does he still look hurt? I'm thinking about trying to make a deal for him but I wanted to check with the best (you guys) first.

May be wrong on this but I think I read where his BABIP is something ridiculous like .184. No I'm not talking about his avg (It's in the same ballpark) but his BABIP.

He also has more walks than K's and is on pace for 40 homers. Nothing more than a terrible start.

Are you guys targeting him as a quality buy low option, or at this point would you be comfortable with sticking it out with the Todd Helton/Casey Blake/Kendry Morales type guys?

Just bought REAL low on him. Got him for Myers and Nyjer Morgan. I feel he'll turn it around very shortly and will be a top 1B for the rest of the season. I'd say this is about the bottom of the valley. Just my $0.02.

Nice. Therein lies my problem... I'm not sure if I can buy him that low. But the buy low window will be open for only so long, so it'll definitely give me a thing or two to think about. Don't want to miss it!

That's ridiculously low - I think he's one of the biggest/most attainable/most interesting buy low candidates.

first - his attainability is going to much higher than any top 2 round pick mainly because of his complete decline in the 2nd half of last season. However, with that said - I also think that adds some real risk to getting him - players don't just start as hot as he did last year and then completly fizzle out. I think he had 7 hrs and 33 rbi after the break and hit around .265.

If he does rebound tho - he is one of the most pure/consistent hitters in all of baseball - even his worst years are still outrageously productive.

Ultimately, I took a chance on him and I got him for Aaron Hill and Adam Jones - both playing very well and will certainly keep some form of this production up but not at this level - I look at it as low risk low reward for me.

I do still worry about him and have my doubts but I think a lot of owners are scared right now given the 2nd half fizzle carry over to the start of this year.