Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

David Beckham

Continuing the discussion from the Transfer Window thread, Becks has decided he'd like to stay in Europe. The latest from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7869648.stm

David Beckham has confirmed he wants to secure a permanent move to AC Milan from his American club LA Galaxy.

Beckham denied his lawyers were talking to the Galaxy, as Milan general manager Adriano Galliani had claimed, but hopes the two clubs can agree a deal.

"I have expressed my desire to stay," he said. "Now it's just down to Milan and Galaxy to come to an agreement.

"I have enjoyed my time here. I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have."

"To be given the chance again to play at this level at my age is pretty incredible and I've enjoyed it so much I would like to continue it. I think people have seen the way I've been since playing at this level again."

One of Beckham's key reasons for joining Milan on loan was to prove himself to England manager Fabio Capello and after putting in such impressive performances in Italy so far Beckham now believes the 2010 World Cup in South Africa is a realistic target.

"It's nothing against the MLS and the football over there, because it's a game that will grow but it will take quite a few years.

"I'm still confident that will happen eventually, but I want to have a chance of being involved in 2010 and I believe my best chance of doing so is to remain here."

Obviously, Becks' departure would remove the most-prominent name from the MLS roster, but at the same time, there's little value to be gained from keeping a guy where he's not interested in playing. I'd rather he be remembered as a minor disappointment, than an out-and-out bust.

The question now is, where does MLS go from here?

Is it worthwhile to try and add another prominent name to the league (expansion club Seattle has already expressed interest in luring Thierry Henry from Spain), or does the league take the $20 million or so they can gain from a Becks transfer, and re-invest it in some developing talents from nearby countries?

Personally, I think option B is the way to go, even if means waiting for those players to ascend and become "household names". I'd rather see the Philly side that will debut be littered with emerging players that we fans can rally around and watch develop than blow a few million on one guy.

Even if it means a couple more years of snide remarks and poo-pooing of the league/sport by football or basketball.....

Continuing the discussion from the Transfer Window thread, Becks has decided he'd like to stay in Europe. The latest from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7869648.stm

Obviously, Becks' departure would remove the most-prominent name from the MLS roster, but at the same time, there's little value to be gained from keeping a guy where he's not interested in playing. I'd rather he be remembered as a minor disappointment, than an out-and-out bust.

The question now is, where does MLS go from here?

Is it worthwhile to try and add another prominent name to the league (expansion club Seattle has already expressed interest in luring Thierry Henry from Spain), or does the league take the $20 million or so they can gain from a Becks transfer, and re-invest it in some developing talents from nearby countries?

Personally, I think option B is the way to go, even if means waiting for those players to ascend and become "household names". I'd rather see the Philly side that will debut be littered with emerging players that we fans can rally around and watch develop than blow a few million on one guy.

Even if it means a couple more years of snide remarks and poo-pooing of the league/sport by football or basketball.....

Well said Timmah

for the MLS to run out another would be savor of the league is a major waste of funds that as stated should be directed into resources that will allow for each franchise to strengthen the local area support and pride in there team.

Galaxy rejected Milan's bid for permanent transfer, presumably because it wasn't large enough:

Tim Leiweke, chief executive of Galaxy owners AEG told the LA Times: "We received an offer. It was rejected. We need to end the circus and the zoo."

"Clearly, if David's in a position where he wants to finish the season in Milan," added Leiweke.

"If Milan in turn compensates the Galaxy so that we can suffer no damages to our fans or to our team, then we'll take a look at it.

"If David ultimately is an asset for this team, we want him back.

"He (Beckham) has never forced our hand on anything.

"This is not a legal conversation and has never been a legal conversation. He does not have lawyers looking at the contract."

"David has made it very clear that if our decision is to bring him back here, he will return. Period.

"Last time I checked, we're the ones that have the contract.

"So the decision as to where David's going to play this year is as much ours as anyone's.

"If David comes back, it will be because there were decisions made by all involved and he'll accept that.

"I don't think he'll be as disgruntled as the media makes it out to be."

Milan has until tomorrow to get Galaxy to agree to a transfer.

Supposedly, Milan's initial offer was around $5 million; Galaxy allegedly wants in the neighborhood of $15 million.

Word is that Beckham and people from Milan were flying to LA to try and reach a deal.

Just before I posted, the following was put up at Fox: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9213...before-deadline

Key points:

Despite the talks, no clear decisions were made by all the parties involved.
Money appears to be the least of the problems, with L.A. basically requesting a star trade in order to give up their marquee player, most likely in the form of Brazilian star Ronaldinho.

But the former FIFA World Player of the Year made it clear that he did not want to be a part of the deal as any move to MLS would certainly signify a threat to his national team career.

That being said, a few possible trade names were on the table, offered up by AC Milan in exchange for Beckham's services. In the mix are Brazilian midfielder Emerson, Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf, Georgian defender Kakha Kaladze and Czech defender Marek Jankulovski.

Beckham: "I know they've declined the initial offer. I don't know what will happen. I said it once and I'll say it again. I want to stay in Milan. I am comfortable here and would like to continue my career in Italy.

"I have absolutely nothing against the Galaxy or MLS. I love the league and have absolutely nothing against them. I just want to continue my career here [in Italy].

AC Milan still think they can get a deal done for a permanent transfer: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9239...er-Beckham-move

The article quotes an unnamed source that says a deal could be done by Tuesday the 24th.

Meanwhile, Landon Donovan is expected to come back to LA after after his loan with Bayern ends on 3/15.

Galaxy have spoken out n Milan's claims that talks are progressing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7901209.stm

"Two weeks ago Milan made a ridiculous offer ($3m or £2.1m) to which I replied 'no' in a few seconds."

He added: "With that figure, Galaxy don't even cover the damages deriving from the shortfalls of not selling his shirts.

"Since then, no-one has made any moves. There are no meetings arranged."

Leiweke, the president and chief executive of LA Galaxy's parent company, AEG, has been angered by AC Milan's claims that they are close to signing the England international.

On Thursday, Milan vice president Adriano Galliani said: "In the past few hours we have taken steps forward. We are more confident now."

Leiweke responded by saying: "I have decided to speak up because I have read too many inaccurate stories.

"After that ridiculous offer, Milan have not done anything. They have tried other people, from the commissioner of the league (Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber) to David's representatives, but not us, who own his rights.

"If David doesn't return, who will replace him? Our transfer market is already closed. If Milan are so determined to keep him, why are they taking so long? Do they think that we will settle for less money? They are mistaken."

I think Beckham thought he'd be a bigger super star than he really became in N. America.

I bet he thought he'd become the highest profile player in all of sports.

In reality he's been all but invisible.

I think he probably looks down on N. America now and wants to run back home. (before he's chased out)

Beckham did an interview with Sky Sports and insists he's happy: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12003_5463526,00.html

England midfielder David Beckham insists he is happy at the Los Angeles Galaxy in America despite last week's ugly confrontation with spectators during his first home game for the club after returning from a five-month loan spell in Italy with AC Milan.

"I'm happy to be playing for this team and I'm enjoying it," he told Sky Sports News.

"I've got the support of the players - that's the most important thing, to have the support of the team, owners and management."