Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgerblues

Moneyball Movie

As a baseball fan who works in the entertainment business, I was quite perplexed to read in the trades this morning that Steven Soderbergh will direct the film adaptation of Moneyball (the book about Billy Beane) and that BRAD PITT is close to being attached to star as Beane.

Now, I read the book. Or maybe I read the wrong one, 'cus I don't remember seeing a movie story ANYWHERE in that book. What is going on here??

I love Michael Lewis' books, but I can't see any of them written in a way that could be adaptable into a movie. They're going to have to take a lot of liberties with the screenplay.

I am camping out all night for this movie, I'm so pumped for this s---. B)

... Well, not really, but I'll probably see it eventually because it could be interesting.

Soderbergh's the man so I'm going to assume this will be awesome. It's in my queue with all those other "in-production"s

Hidden
I am camping out all night for this movie, I'm so pumped for this s---. B)

... Well, not really, but I'll probably see it eventually because it could be interesting.

Actually not to be a wiener but how is this thread still in the fantasy forums? I saw multiple threads get moved yesterday that had a hell of a lot more to do with fantasy than this one.

As for the Movie it really doesn't sound that great to me lol. I could way off since I havn't read the book and I don't know a ton about Beane other than some trades he's made.

Hidden
Actually not to be a wiener but how is this thread still in the fantasy forums? I saw multiple threads get moved yesterday that had a hell of a lot more to do with fantasy than this one.

As for the Movie it really doesn't sound that great to me lol. I could way off since I havn't read the book and I don't know a ton about Beane other than some trades he's made.

because no one noticed it till now..they were all in the Arod thread

Needing the work, Jeremy Brown will be playing himself.

Hidden
because no one noticed it till now..they were all in the Arod thread

Look what time the thread was posted. I saw two threads posted by the same guy almost 3 hours after that were moved almost immediatly. Yet this one wasn't moved until I mentioned it a day later.

I'm not trying to stir anything up as I'm not the type of guy who tries to police forums. Out of my 2700 posts this is probably the only one mentioning that a thread was posted in the wrong spot. I don't even know why I decided to this time. Probably because I hate Dodgerblues!!!!!! JK of course.

Nothing they make will be better than the book. One of my favorites all time.

Nothing they make will be better than the book. One of my favorites all time.

idk, i read about a quarter of it and just lost interest.... maybe its too statistical for me, but could someone tell me whats so great about it?

idk, i read about a quarter of it and just lost interest.... maybe its too statistical for me, but could someone tell me whats so great about it?

What so great about it? Baseball and stats. What more can a fantasy baseball geek want in a book?

The movie will be about a "genius" gm that lauds himself through someone else's pen whose team never wins anything while his competitor across the bay cultivates a young pitching staff (only after signing one of the genius' soon to fail startters for way too much money) and wins the world's championship. The final scene will be the star young pitcher smoking dope and giggling while reading something about walks and obp.

I know I would go see that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball_%28film%29

Strong screenwriter (The Social Network). Strong cast (Pitt, Hoffman, Robin Wright). Baseball.

All the ingredients for a good baseball movie are right here. B)

Sorkin is only one of 5 writers, tho. Can you say "Script Doctor"?

I was disappointed to find that Jonah Hill wasn't playing Beane's twins, Brayden and Tinsley. THAT my friends would have been worth the $10.

Beane is a fraud. He's like the kid that turned in a dollar for a hundred pennies, finds a 1907 BVD and is subsequently dubbed a genius numismatist. Yeah, trading away Andre Ethier and Carlos Gonzalez when you were lucky enough to horse trade into them- GENIUS.

BLOO- Sabean is a hack. You should know that. His scouts have made the difference with that franchise. His own signings, his Free Agent buys, most -think Zito, Renteria recently- have been awful. The Giants are a great story but suffer no illusions that the infusion of talented youngsters that carried them to their fluky WSC has anything to do with Sabean.

BLOO- Sabean is a hack. You should know that. His scouts have made the difference with that franchise. His own signings, his Free Agent buys, most -think Zito, Renteria recently- have been awful. The Giants are a great story but suffer no illusions that the infusion of talented youngsters that carried them to their fluky WSC has anything to do with Sabean.

Ha, ha, ha. No doubt. That was sort of what I was also trying to allude to. Here's a guy that's had a book and now maybe a movie - he's won nothing and someone else in close proximity has - and their GM may or may not be the brains behind that!

Personally, the guy they should be making a movie about is Gene "Stick" Michael. He's the one (along with help, no doubt) that crafted the Yankees Dynasty while Jeff Loria, umm.. I mean George Steinbrenner suspended - keep your young talent, don't trade it for Ken Phelps - Jay Buhner! How do you trade Jay Buhner? - Costanza asks.

Regardless - a movie about a GM - no thanks. There will have to be such liberties to make an interesting story that it won't really be about that. He'll be the driven GM to pove the value of the "Greek God of Walks," that doesn't even belong to his team. A woman he long ago drove out of his life will return, they will have a child and his name will be Daric Barton.

Ha, ha, ha. No doubt. That was sort of what I was also trying to allude to. Here's a guy that's had a book and now maybe a movie - he's won nothing and someone else in close proximity has - and their GM may or may not be the brains behind that!

B) Great point!

As a baseball fan who works in the entertainment business, I was quite perplexed to read in the trades this morning that Steven Soderbergh will direct the film adaptation of Moneyball (the book about Billy Beane) and that BRAD PITT is close to being attached to star as Beane.

Now, I read the book. Or maybe I read the wrong one, 'cus I don't remember seeing a movie story ANYWHERE in that book. What is going on here??

That, and I think the concept of running an MLB organization behind "Moneyball" is kind of outdated now although strategies may have spawned from it. "The Extra 2%" may be a better fit for a movie since the Rays have became worst to first and are now the example on how to run an MLB orginzation.

Beane is extremely overrated anyways. Good GM, but overrated.

BTW FYI- Soderbergh left the project a long time ago (the much-missed Dodgerblues started this thread 2 years ago). The ultra-selective Bennett Miller is a fine director, tho, if Capote is any indicator. And he has the brilliant Cinematographer Wally Pfister in tow. If anyone is capable of making this subject matter "look" exciting it's him.

Well, the Moneyball trailer is out. Given what we know about real-life, I have to guess it has a Rocky-type ending from the first & best film. The club fights valiantly, but losing in the end achieves winning a new-found level of respect. You know, it's about the journey, not the destination. I guess.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/moneyball/trailer

Well, the Moneyball trailer is out. Given what we know about real-life, I have to guess it has a Rocky-type ending from the first & best film. The club fights valiantly, but losing in the end achieves winning a new-found level of respect. You know, it's about the journey, not the destination. I guess.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/moneyball/trailer

Just watched. Looks.....interesting.

Like Jonah Hill so that's a plus.

Guest ciderjack6

Looks good but the casting is just a joke

Brad Pitt is too good looking to play Billy Beane. Beane is plain looking and has a receding hairline...

I also can't get around Jonah Hill being cast. DePodesta was an athlete in college (or so his wikipedia page says)! In fact, that's probably how most people break into front office or scouting jobs in their respective sports - playing the sport in college. Jonah Hill probably can't even throw a baseball.

Rant over