Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgerblues

Moneyball Movie

The movie looks as about a accurate a representation of baseball as Major League was.

Hidden
Louboutin chaussures Magnificent phrase and it is duly I confirm. And I have faced it. Let's discuss this question. Excuse for that I interfere … I understand this question. I invite to discussion. Write here or in PM. Sandale Escarpin-sandale I consider, that you commit an error. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate. What necessary words... super, remarkable idea Excellent It really pleases me. Sandales Louboutin noires bouts ouverts

If I saw that trailer, and didn't already know a bit about Beane and/or the A's... I'd have ZERO interest in that movie. Even as a fan, I'm still not even sure I know what that movie is about.

Even though it's based off a book, at least it will be original to watch.

The only thing that comes out nowadays are superhero movies, a Michael Bay flop and a rehash of 1 of maybe 12 recurring movie plots.

The only thing that comes out nowadays are superhero movies, a Michael Bay flop and a rehash of 1 of maybe 12 recurring movie plots.

Amen. I'm with ya. A breath of fresh air, no doubt. This movie is going to be a different take on a sports movie: not your stereotypical Rocky or We Are Marshall-type film. Granted, it probably won't have huge success at the box office due to this fact, but I think it was smart to cast Brad Pitt for the lead because it'll bring a lot of people to theaters simply because he's in it.

Glad to see there are others out there that would actually enjoy watching a that might make you think, rather than the crap that constantly comes out these days.

Glad to see there are others out there that would actually enjoy watching a that might make you think, rather than the crap that constantly comes out these days.

You're telling me you weren't thinking about Beverly Hills Chihuahua weeks after you finished watching it?

Guessing from the trailer, the only thing this film might make one think is, "I paid how much to sit through this???" B)

Guest ciderjack6

Directed by

Bennett Miller

Writing credits

Steven Zaillian

Aaron Sorkin

That's all I need to see

Directed by

Bennett Miller

Writing credits

Steven Zaillian

Aaron Sorkin

That's all I need to see

Yeah, this movie looks decent from the trailer. Not sure why some are already ripping it. I mean, it looks solid compared to most of the utter garbage that is made these days. Films have become 100% about the bottom line, so there are just so many sequels, superhero flicks, and animated redundancy made in order to ensure profit. It's frightening how far films have fallen from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s. Moneyball looks somewhat interesting at least.

Wow nothing from the RR community regarding Moneyball? Everything in this thread is regarding speculation about the move pre-release.

Anyway, got some noms today. Best Picture. Best Actor. Heck, even Jonah freaking Hill got a nom as best supporting actor.

Wow nothing from the RR community regarding Moneyball? Everything in this thread is regarding speculation about the move pre-release.

Anyway, got some noms today. Best Picture. Best Actor. Heck, even Jonah freaking Hill got a nom as best supporting actor.

It was a good solid movie if you understand it's not a documentary. I enjoyed it, I thought it was understated and there was a constant use of silence that I found intriguing. I'm not sure they built the dramatic payoff enough, but it was enjoyable. It's not really an Oscar worthy movie and the nominations it received, specifically Jonah Hill, are more a statment of what a crappy year in movies it was. I would antcipate "The Artist" to be the big winner.....

It was a good solid movie if you understand it's not a documentary. I enjoyed it, I thought it was understated and there was a constant use of silence that I found intriguing. I'm not sure they built the dramatic payoff enough, but it was enjoyable. It's not really an Oscar worthy movie and the nominations it received, specifically Jonah Hill, are more a statment of what a crappy year in movies it was. I would antcipate "The Artist" to be the big winner.....

Seriously, I can't believe it's up for an Oscar. The story is ridiculously trite - there was virtually no conflict or structure. The acting is average at best. Pitt is a good actor but not a great one - frankly he was better in movies with side humor like Ocean's 11 or Mr. and Mrs. Smith. And I agree - Jonah Hill is a terrible actor - funny comedic actor (love his bit in 40 Year Old Virgin, Accepted, etc.) but his serious moments are just milktoast. What makes it worse is that Hill is apparently a prima donna (according to one of my buddies who worked on the set of Get Him To The Greek) and thinks he is a world-class actor. Those roles in all those pot comedies are going to get real slim now that he's skinny.

Saw the movie, huge baseball fan, not one of my top 5 favorite baseball movies all time. It was so/so, and if the A's had ever won a championship, instead of still being a Yankees farm team, maybe I would have cared more.

A's never won squat.

Is anyone more overrated than Billy Beane?

missing the point.

the movie was pretty good.

that i was able to watch a movie about sabermetrics with my wife is an accomplisment that should win Zaillian & Sorkin an oscar in and of itself.

i dont like jonah hill...i refuse to watch anything he's in. 99% of his roles in movies are just your typical fat shmuck shtick...not my thing.

i dont like jonah hill...i refuse to watch anything he's in. 99% of his roles in movies are just your typical fat shmuck shtick...not my thing.

Too bad he's not fat anymore...

21 Jump Street. You in?

Anybody else want to say how much this movie sucks without actually watching it? And Rocky sucked as well...I mean, he doesn't even win!

may not be in my top 5 baseball movies, but its my favorite fantasy baseball movie of all time.

Anybody else want to say how much this movie sucks without actually watching it? And Rocky sucked as well...I mean, he doesn't even win!

Who said it sucked?

I just think Beane is overrated as a GM and don't get the A's approach. All I'm saying is.....at some point, try to win.

Apples & oranges. Rocky the film was a character study where Rocky builds character & gets his life on track regardless of the end result of competition. The point of Beane’s “moneyball” tactics was not to build character in a cast of lovable losers. In real life, “Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.” Plus, it was the pitching of Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, & Barry Zito that was responsible for any success OAK had, not Beane’s philosophy at the plate.

I guess you guys didn't see the movie or have missed the fact other teams adopted some of Beane's philosophies. Yes the big 3 and others helped the A's more than the Hattebergs. But those cheap pieces played a crucial role as well.

The A's approach now doesn't matter - look at their approach then. That's what the movie is about. And at the time Beane was one of the front runners for a style that did sweep through the entire sport.