Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Wilmer Flores 3B NYM

What are the RW MiLB experts' take on this kid? I read a nice little blurb about him saying that he knocked in 8 bombs at a .307 clip in his rookie season...as a 16-17 year old!!! Talking Point Free Sports has him as their 30th best guy overall in the minors, and BA has him as the 2nd best prospect overall in the Mets farm and projected as the best hitter for average for them. As he's got a bigger frame (6'3 175) they suspect he won't stick at SS as he continues to grow.

Any opinions?

Well you drafted him, so he wont develope into anything worth the time to type this thread.

I don't know where you grabbed him, but if he went outside the top 100, he's a great value. Outside the top 50, he's an OK value - you get the idea.

Unbelievable bat & contact/power skills for such a young age. Since he hasn't faced elite caliber breaking stuff, pitch recognition will determine if he's going to be an elite prospect in the next 2 years or if he fails to fulfill on his monster tools.

Two disclaimers - first, he's at *least* 4 years away. At least. Second, he's definitely not staying at SS - when you can barely stick there at 16-17, once his body fills out, he's headed to a corner spot or the OF IMO.

Wilmer is doing a great job at holding his own in Single-A ball this year. Tonight he was 4-4 w/a 2B and a BB. Over his last 10-games he has only struck out 3-times. His line for the year is ;

.287/2-HR/14-2B/2-3B, the power will be there once he actually matures and gains more strength & muscle, but for a kid who doesn't turn 18 till next month hard not to be impressed.

What are the RW MiLB experts' take on this kid? I read a nice little blurb about him saying that he knocked in 8 bombs at a .307 clip in his rookie season...as a 16-17 year old!!! Talking Point Free Sports has him as their 30th best guy overall in the minors, and BA has him as the 2nd best prospect overall in the Mets farm and projected as the best hitter for average for them. As he's got a bigger frame (6'3 175) they suspect he won't stick at SS as he continues to grow.

Any opinions?

The kid has been coming on strong as of late.... He has a .333 BA 1 2B, 1 3B, 1HR, 1 BB, and 3 K's over his last 39 ABs.

After a slow April and a really bad May Flores has raked in June and July. .766 OPS in June and a .741 OPS so far in July. The power and the patience aren't quite there yet (as expected he's only 17). But the average and contact rate are great.

He hits righties and lefties equally well.... There isn't really an apparent whole to his game right now.

I think next year he starts in Advanced A and just tears it up there. 18 is a big growth year as you guys said he's 6'3" so he's got a frame to fill out.

The kid has been coming on strong as of late.... He has a .333 BA 1 2B, 1 3B, 1HR, 1 BB, and 3 K's over his last 39 ABs.

After a slow April and a really bad May Flores has raked in June and July. .766 OPS in June and a .741 OPS so far in July. The power and the patience aren't quite there yet (as expected he's only 17). But the average and contact rate are great.

He hits righties and lefties equally well.... There isn't really an apparent whole to his game right now.

I think next year he starts in Advanced A and just tears it up there. 18 is a big growth year as you guys said he's 6'3" so he's got a frame to fill out.

Agree 100%, he has hit .320 in his last 40-games.

k i guess i should say flores WILL be good at the bigs, at 17 2 hr is good...i deffinitly dont think he'll be miguel...more like a aramis rameriz type player

k i guess i should say flores WILL be good at the bigs, at 17 2 hr is good...i deffinitly dont think he'll be miguel...more like a aramis rameriz type player

Now he is getting A-RAM comps from you, why b/cause he is on a hot streak...? So I presume if he goes 0-10 he will be a 'bust' again in your eyes...? Especially after you ripped him in the other thread. The kid is 17-yrs old, will be 18 in Aug. I believe he has show a lot of maturity and at this point it's hard to say what type of player he is, but his contact rate has been great, especially for a 17-yr old.

Wilmer 1-4 tonight, 2-runs scored and his 3rd-HR of the season, GO WILMER!!!

This guy and Ike Davis give us some hope for the Mets farm system. To bad Minaya will give them both away before we know it

Having a great second Sally League campaign so far (age 18):

.343/.398/.548, 14 BBs, 22 Ks, 5 HRs, 15 2Bs, 30 RBI, 22 R, 2 SBs

per a cliff lee RW update,

wilmer otw to the mariners?

mejia and flores would be a solid return on lee, imo.

I agree, doesn't seem like a great deal for the Mets knowing the Lee is going to go right back out to test the market again.

I have Flores, really don't want him to go to Seattle.

I've gotta believe the earliest this dude would see the MLB is spring 2012...

I've gotta believe the earliest this dude would see the MLB is spring 2012...

I agree probably later but I don't really like Seattle's track record with prospects.

I agree probably later but I don't really like Seattle's track record with prospects.

It's a new regime in Seattle. There's not really any reason to believe the guy who built the Milwaukee Brewers' farm system that produced Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, and Yovani Gallardo shouldn't at least be given the benefit of the doubt with his new organization.

per a cliff lee RW update,

wilmer otw to the mariners?

mejia and flores would be a solid return on lee, imo.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat in a keeper league. Let alone a rebuilding organization like the M's.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat in a keeper league. Let alone a rebuilding organization like the M's.

Agreed. I snagged Meija in my keeper league.

I wouldn't mind seeing Meija pitching in Seattle, although the NL is preferable.

Flores is a very good hitter for a 19 year old. He has a nice swing that should give him more more as he gets older. I would like to see him walk more in the FSL.

As of now, I could see him moving to outfield or 3B in a different organization. Doubt he'll stick at SS, but maybe he'll get enough starts in the bigs during his rookie season to gain eligibility for fantasy.

I'd rank him as a top 50 prospect for fantasy.

Flores is a very good hitter for a 19 year old. He has a nice swing that should give him more more as he gets older. I would like to see him walk more in the FSL.

As of now, I could see him moving to outfield or 3B in a different organization. Doubt he'll stick at SS, but maybe he'll get enough starts in the bigs during his rookie season to gain eligibility for fantasy.

I'd rank him as a top 50 prospect for fantasy.

Thanks. I would really like to know what word you meant to use instead of the second "more." Was it "power?" Is he projected as a power guy? Speed guy? Good hitter for average? As far as position, that doesn't bother me that he would leave SS, I already have Tulo and HanRam. Just trying to figure out if he's worth trying to trade for in my NL dynasty.

Thanks. I would really like to know what word you meant to use instead of the second "more." Was it "power?" Is he projected as a power guy? Speed guy? Good hitter for average? As far as position, that doesn't bother me that he would leave SS, I already have Tulo and HanRam. Just trying to figure out if he's worth trying to trade for in my NL dynasty.

I meant power. B)

He's not a speed guy. Has shown flashes of power, especially for his age.

I've read Miguel Cabrera comparisons and I've even seen Tulowitzki if he stays at SS or Braun if he goes to LF. I like his raw talent, I just hope the Mets don't rush him.