Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

If you happen to be up a Night Owl

I was flipping through channels last night, and landed on a 0-0 match between Stoke and Portsmouth, which was in the 74th minute......twenty minutes later, the match ended in a 2-2 draw.

I'm not gonna say what happened, but there was a little bit of everything, and it was pretty damn entertaining.

There's a replay of the match starting at 3am on Wednesday morning, and the excitement would be kicking in around 4:30 or so. Set your Tivo or DVR if need be, it'll be worth it.

Cheers!

Those who took me up on the suggestion witnessed the following:

A drab game came alive after 75 minutes when David Nugent set up Niko Kranjcar to slide Pompey in front.

James Beattie quickly levelled from the spot after Glen Johnson was adjudged to have handled then, seconds later, he put Stoke ahead from close range.

Pompey poured forward and got their reward when Ryan Shawcross deflected Hermann Hreidarsson's cross into his own net

....There were no other openings until, out of nothing, Pompey took the lead - Nugent providing a clever pass and Kranjcar taking a touch before slotting home.

That was only the start of a chaotic 15-minute period, however, and Stoke were quickly level.

Johnson appeared to control a long ball into the box with his chest but referee Michael Jones thought otherwise and, after he had pointed at the spot, Beattie stepped up to bury his penalty.

Portsmouth were incensed by the decision but things quickly got worse for them when, on Stoke's next attack, Beattie was in the right place to tap in Danny Pugh's acrobatic shot from close range.

It appeared the Potters had secured all three points but Pompey continued to attack and were gifted an equaliser in a breathless finish when Hreidarsson's low cross was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Shawcross

Four goals in 15 minutes, including a penalty kick and an own goal, and controversy....can't ask for too much more than that!