Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negoogunogumbar

Brett Lawrie 2B/3B TOR

Link

It was always a possibility that he might have to change position, but this is earlier than I expected. It was rumored that he was probably going to move to third, but I like the move to second better personally.

How does this affect Lawrie's value? It's definitely better than a move to third, but how much better?

How does this affect Lawrie's value? It's definitely better than a move to third, but how much better?

As a Lawrie owner, I think this is a great move that will increase his overall value and shorten his timetable for reaching the majors.

As a C, his advancement through the minors would have been dictated by his ability to learn the most demanding defensive position, and the Brew Crew already had someone ahead of him on the organizational ladder in Angel Salmoe. As a 2B his bat will stand out more at his position, he will get more ABs over the course of the season, his legs will be fresher and his career will perhaps be longer. Weeks is a liability at 2B, and if Lawrie can handle the position the job will be his as early as 2011.

Kevin Goldstein at BP ranked him second on the Brewers' Top 11 Prospects List, ahead of Matt Gamel, and suggests that he might start his career in full-season ball. I could see him advancing in a similar manner to Travis Snider, with an eventual ceiling somewhere in between Dan Uggla and Jeff Kent.

As a Lawrie owner, I think this is a great move that will increase his overall value and shorten his timetable for reaching the majors.

As a C, his advancement through the minors would have been dictated by his ability to learn the most demanding defensive position, and the Brew Crew already had someone ahead of him on the organizational ladder in Angel Salmoe. As a 2B his bat will stand out more at his position, he will get more ABs over the course of the season, his legs will be fresher and his career will perhaps be longer. Weeks is a liability at 2B, and if Lawrie can handle the position the job will be his as early as 2011.

Kevin Goldstein at BP ranked him second on the Brewers' Top 11 Prospects List, ahead of Matt Gamel, and suggests that he might start his career in full-season ball. I could see him advancing in a similar manner to Travis Snider, with an eventual ceiling somewhere in between Dan Uggla and Jeff Kent.

While I definitely think it shoots his value up the overall prospects ranks if he sticks at 2B (as a shallow position), I'm not so sure about this helping his value as Alcides Escobar is a more promising prospect at middle infield and would, imho, could possibly see chance of playing 2B. Third is Milwaukee's biggest black hole with Bill Hall, Mike Lamb and Mat Gamel all fairly poor at the hot corner so if he has any defensive skill whatsoever, his chances are greater there. I doubt his bat will outshine Gamel's.

Also, in the BP rankings there are a few things to note:

1) Prospect ranking seems to be pretty dynamic as players will be better or plateau as they develop;

2) The BP rankings for the Brewers were done at the beginning of December;

3) Goldstein says in that very article that "there is no true, classic top prospect in the system, but a set of five very good prospects that are hard to separate, as they all combine much to like with significant issues."

While I definitely think it shoots his value up the overall prospects ranks if he sticks at 2B (as a shallow position), I'm not so sure about this helping his value as Alcides Escobar is a more promising prospect at middle infield and would, imho, could possibly see chance of playing 2B. Third is Milwaukee's biggest black hole with Bill Hall, Mike Lamb and Mat Gamel all fairly poor at the hot corner so if he has any defensive skill whatsoever, his chances are greater there. I doubt his bat will outshine Gamel's.

Also, in the BP rankings there are a few things to note:

1) Prospect ranking seems to be pretty dynamic as players will be better or plateau as they develop;

2) The BP rankings for the Brewers were done at the beginning of December;

3) Goldstein says in that very article that "there is no true, classic top prospect in the system, but a set of five very good prospects that are hard to separate, as they all combine much to like with significant issues."

Hasn't there men mention of moving Hardy to Third to make room for Escobar at short?

Hasn't there men mention of moving Hardy to Third to make room for Escobar at short?

I think that would make a lot of sense, with Weeks moving to CF for Lawrie to play 2B. Their defense (particularly the infield) would probably show some dramatic improvement. Of course, there's still the issue of who's the odd man out regarding the rest of the OF (Braun - not a chance he's the odd man out, Hart - maybe CF instead of Weeks?, Gamel - definitely not going to be a defensive asset at 3B), then. My guess is a trade of either Weeks, Gamel, or Fielder (with Gamel possibly taking over at 1B?).

I don't see Fielder staying with the Brewers, so I'd say that Gamel takes over at first. Or if he does stay, then Hart takes over in CF, Gamel takes over RF, and Weeks gets a lovely spot on the bench and/or gets traded.

I like Lawrie at 2B. I wonder what he'll play at the WBC? He's listed as a catcher on the Canadian roster. My guess is he's probably just a DH/pinch hitter for them.

I like Lawrie at 2B. I wonder what he'll play at the WBC? He's listed as a catcher on the Canadian roster. My guess is he's probably just a DH/pinch hitter for them.

Well, Lawrie is pretty good and what other options are they going to stick at 2B? The only serviceable major league "second baseman" they have is Mark Teahen.

The Canadians could use a lot of help, it's too bad he can't pitch. B)

Seriously, the reason why I valued him highly was his potential at C - if he can't play there, 2B & SS are the next weakest - so he's downgraded a *little*, but not a lot. The fact is he can rake, so if he can stick, he immediately becomes the #2 2B prospect in MILB behind Gordon Beckham IMO (and yes, ahead of Cardenas et al.).

Fielder lost alot more weight thia year in an effort to stay @ 1B and in Milwaukee.

Lawrie has a good shot of being a Sandoval type player with value at a few positions

Fielder lost alot more weight thia year in an effort to stay @ 1B and in Milwaukee.

Lawrie has a good shot of being a Sandoval type player with value at a few positions

That would be nice, especially if those positions are C, 2B, and 3B. We are going to have to wait a few years to see, though. He was drafted out of high school, and he's only 19 years old. By the time he makes the majors, he may have settled into 2B only, but we'll see. Here's to hoping he keeps himself versatile.

Does anyone know what Lawrie is actually playing? Milb.com has him listed at 1B and thebaseballcube has him listed at SS.

Either way he's off to a great start. I didn't know he was gonna be such a threat on the bases, but he has 8 SB's along with 4 triples already this year.

The Canadians could use a lot of help, it's too bad he can't pitch. B)

Seriously, the reason why I valued him highly was his potential at C - if he can't play there, 2B & SS are the next weakest - so he's downgraded a *little*, but not a lot. The fact is he can rake, so if he can stick, he immediately becomes the #2 2B prospect in MILB behind Gordon Beckham IMO (and yes, ahead of Cardenas et al.).

So if Beckham sticks at short like I think he will, then you are saying that Lawrie is the #1 2b option in milb. That's music to my ears.

He's played all his games at 2B.

He's played all his games at 2B.

What the hell. Wonder why it lists him at 1B. Not that I'm complaining, 1B would be the last place I'd want him to play.

4-5 tonight and the BA is up to .317. I have a feeling this guy is gonna be a superstar and is gonna fly through the ranks.

4-5 tonight and the BA is up to .317. I have a feeling this guy is gonna be a superstar and is gonna fly through the ranks.

Hope so. I grabbed him in my draft this year.

I've seen a lot of talk about Lawrie recently, and I thought I'd share this little bit from Kevin Goldstein at BP in regards to his defense at second base:

"At .326/.375/.616, he's one of the best combinations of numbers and scouting reports you can find, as long as we don't talk about the defense, where the reviews of him at his new position of second base are borderline laughable."

However, a commenter on this article noted the following quote from Lawrie's manager:

Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom on Lawrie's defense:

"Seeing his first few games in spring training, I thought ˜Wow, this could be interesting this season," Isom said. "But he's such a great athlete. He's taken to it. He's made himself into a pretty good second baseman.

"You see the improvement on a daily basis. What makes him so special is you can tell him what he's doing wrong and then he adapts and changes right away. He applies everything that you say right away. You won't have to tell him a second time, whether it's positioning or the little nuances of the game. He makes adjustments on the fly, picks up things, retains information and throw in he's a great athlete in there. The kid's done a great job and continues to improve daily."

At the very least, his bat should play anywhere in the OF. But he's such a good athlete that he should become an adequate infielder.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about his defense right now. He's just starting to play 2nd base regularly. He has a while to adapt from primarily playing catcher and from what I read above he probably doesn't even need it.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about his defense right now. He's just starting to play 2nd base regularly. He has a while to adapt from primarily playing catcher and from what I read above he probably doesn't even need it.

Exactly. Unlike the other big Brewers prospect, Lawrie's defense isn't much of a worry yet.

In regards to his defense, he is 19 and will ikely have at least 2 full years to work on it. If he is in fact a great athlete and quick learner i think he'll be OK.

BTW he was promoted to AA Huntsville a little while ago.

He's going to Stockholm to play for glorious Canada in the World Baseball Cup.

I really like Lawrie, I'm thinking he'll be in the bigs in 2011 at the latest maybe?

Baseball America actually his Brett ranked above Gamel this year. And also has him listed as the best hitter for average and power in the Brewers organization. That's pretty high praise for someone his age. IMO this kid is one of the most underrated prospects out there. I'm glad I own him in both of my dynasty leagues.

Baseball America actually his Brett ranked above Gamel this year. And also has him listed as the best hitter for average and power in the Brewers organization. That's pretty high praise for someone his age. IMO this kid is one of the most underrated prospects out there. I'm glad I own him in both of my dynasty leagues.

doesn't surprise me one bit. I only have these guys ahead of lawrie in terms of fantasy potential...strasburg, santana, Alvarez, montero. That's it of all the prospects who I think could break round 2 status in the next 3 years. I honestly and truly believe he will be a better fantasy guy than heyward.