Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negoogunogumbar

Brett Lawrie 2B/3B TOR

The D. Wright comparison got me excited and I read an article from TOR saying people are very excited and want him at 3B on opening day with Baustista in the OF.

I snagged him late in a deeper keeper, if he becomes David Wright that would be an epic win. Hopefully not off-year Wright though haha.

Even an off year Wright would be great for a minor league keeper.

The best comparison that I have read about Lawrie was a Dan Uggla type of player......David Wright or Dan Uggla.....hmmmm...got me excited!!!! What about an American League player comparison? Anybody?

The kid can hit. I haven't ready any reports of his defense at 3B; but if it improves enough to passable it won't be long after June 1 that he'll come up.

Kid can definitely mash. Pretty much a major league bat as it is right now.

Last I saw though (a few days ago), he already had 5 errors playing 3B in AAA.

The kid can hit. I haven't ready any reports of his defense at 3B; but if it improves enough to passable it won't be long after June 1 that he'll come up.

His defense is rough - 6 errors so far on the season

THAT will be the biggest factor as to when he gets called up

Real long shot but maybe the Jays don't keep Aaron Hill after this season and let Lawrie play 2nd base?

The Jays declined their options on Hill and with Hill in his second straight year of slumping, I see him traded by or before the trade deadline. If not, he will be out after the year is over. Lawrie could very well take his place at 2nd, but 3rd base is a gaping hole on the team.

His defense is rough - 6 errors so far on the season

THAT will be the biggest factor as to when he gets called up

Does anyone know if he's played 3B before at any level? I don't think these early season errors should be minded too much, he's adjusting to the hot corner. I would like to see how many he has around June 1st.

Management is not worried about the errors, actually Anthopolous seems more concerned with Lawrie's walks. He's never played 3B before. The errors have come off trying to do too much or difficult plays like hurried throws on the run according to Las Vegas shortstop Chris Woodward.

Also, it seems like management doesn't care about Super-2 stuff. AA said he'd be happy to pay these guys because it means they're performing. The Jays have never really been the kind of team that watches those statuses anyway.

I'm certain they will give Lawrie every chance in the world to stick at 3rd. It's a huge hole for them and Lawrie's obviously more valuable there. From what I can gather, most of his errors came on throws which IMO is a good sign. I'd be alot more worried if he couldn't get to the ball to begin with at 3rd but he has a noted strong arm so hopefully he settles down on his throws in time.

I'm certain they will give Lawrie every chance in the world to stick at 3rd. It's a huge hole for them and Lawrie's obviously more valuable there. From what I can gather, most of his errors came on throws which IMO is a good sign. I'd be alot more worried if he couldn't get to the ball to begin with at 3rd but he has a noted strong arm so hopefully he settles down on his throws in time.

Agreed, I think he'll stick.

Upon my own research, I've discovered 4 of his 6 errors are actually fielding. Come on Brett!

Well okay, I still think he'll stick. Let's give him a half-season at the position and see if he is trending towards less errors.

What exactly makes you think he'll stick? Believe me I'd love him to play anywhere in the infield but I don't see it.

Well the Jays will wait until he makes 150 errors at 3rd before they move him to the OF.

Ok, I'm not sure he sticks, but I think he and the Blue Jays both would prefer him to stay in the INF. That's alot of patience and effort trying to make this gifted prospect become a major league infielder. I guess we'll just have to see in time.

Just got him in a keeper. Love the David Wright comparison, recently a scout compared to Mike Schmidt which is a long shot. He is destroying AAA right now and is still at 6 errors.

When could we expect a call-up June 1st?

Just got him in a keeper. Love the David Wright comparison, recently a scout compared to Mike Schmidt which is a long shot. He is destroying AAA right now and is still at 6 errors.

When could we expect a call-up June 1st?

Toronto beat writers say August at the earliest.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/24/lawrie-wont-be-rushed

Of course, management could be singing a different song two months from now. I've seen it before with more than one prospect.

Hopefully we'll see him in Toronto before August. My guess is sometime in June or maybe early July around the break.

I asked Adam Foster(Project Prospect) what are his thoughts on Lawrie. He said he thinks he'll move to the outfield and he'll be a below average bat in the outfield.

I asked Adam Foster(Project Prospect) what are his thoughts on Lawrie. He said he thinks he'll move to the outfield and he'll be a below average bat in the outfield.

Project Prospect guys are all out of whack..... I don't know if they have a different agenda over everyone else? Or maybe they think that they are smarter than everyone else? But they do some weird things.

Take a look at this story:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/3/28/2...ospect-rankings

This guy took every major Prospect Ranking list and did some analysis on how the rankings were different.

If you look at Project Prospect, they have included the most players in their top 100 that no one else had. And they excluded the most players that everyone else had in their top 100's.

Surprising Inclusions: (#Lists, Project Prospect Rank)

Reese Havens (1, 42)

Fernando Martinez (1, 53)

Bobby Borchering (1, 60

James Darnell (1, 62)

Drew Cumberland (1, 63)

Alexi Amarista (1, 65)

Dayan Viciedo (1, 77)

Josh Spence (1, 79)

Nick Weglarz (2, 33)

Adeiny Hechevarria (3, 52)

Josh Sale (3, 69)

Surprising Exclusions: (#Lists, Total Avg Rank)

Jarred Cosart (6, 66)

Danny Duffy (6, 71)

Brody Colvin (6, 75)

Dellin Betances (7, 54)

Grant Green (7, 56)

Billy Hamilton (7, 61)

Trey McNutt (7, 68)

Arodys Vizcaino (7, 76)

Brett Lawrie (8, 42)

Chris Archer (8, 43)

Dee Gordon (8, 53)

I mean Nick Weglarz as the #33 prospect?!?!?! WHAT!!!!?!!?!

Brett Lawrie, Chris Archer and Dellin Betances not in the Top 100??!?!?!?! WHAT!!!?!?!?!?

I'm telling you - I either would not trust them, or if they prove me wrong, then trust them fully. But they are too far off the scale for me to take anything they say seriously until they prove otherwise

Project Prospect guys are all out of whack..... I don't know if they have a different agenda over everyone else? Or maybe they think that they are smarter than everyone else? But they do some weird things.

Take a look at this story:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/3/28/2...ospect-rankings

This guy took every major Prospect Ranking list and did some analysis on how the rankings were different.

If you look at Project Prospect, they have included the most players in their top 100 that no one else had. And they excluded the most players that everyone else had in their top 100's.

I mean Nick Weglarz as the #33 prospect?!?!?! WHAT!!!!?!!?!

Brett Lawrie, Chris Archer and Dellin Betances not in the Top 100??!?!?!?! WHAT!!!?!?!?!?

I'm telling you - I either would not trust them, or if they prove me wrong, then trust them fully. But they are too far off the scale for me to take anything they say seriously until they prove otherwise

My favorite is John Sickels (minor league ball), but I do agree with project prospect about Lawrie.

I'm a Brewers fan so I've followed him his entire professional career. The furthest left on the defensive spectrum that he can handle will be 3B, and that is highly doubtful. He's most likely a corner outfielder. The bat probably plays anywhere, but IMO he's a top 100 prospect if he can stick at 3B and NOT in the top 100 if he can't.

FWIW I dont think Chris Archer is a top 100 prospect. His BB/9 numbers are pretty awful and he is now 22 years old getting his first year in AA after moving very slowly through the minors so far.