Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vriez

Battle Italiana

My infield is stack

ITALY - "The Italian Baseball League (IBL) club Danesi Nettuno continued its winter shopping in Spain with the acquisition of Spanish National Team pitcher Yoel Hernandez.

Hernandez, 34, posted a 7-3 mark in 11 starts for Sant Boi a year ago with 65 strikeouts and a 2.15 ERA. The Cuban native played a key role on the 2007 Marlins Puerto Cruz title-winning team when he went 8-0 with an eye-catching 0.56 ERA.

The hard-throwing right-hander has also been an integral part of the Spanish national squad the past few years logging innings at the 2007 European Championships, the 2007 IBAF Baseball World Cup, and the 2008 Olympic Qualifier in Taiwan."

I want this guy......Yoel Hernandez, pitcher Danesi Nettuno

"The newest member of the IBL, Reggio Emilia, announced earlier this week on their website that the club has inked former Boston Red Sox pitcher Abe Alvarez for the upcoming season.

Alvarez was drafted by the Red Sox in 2003 and reached the big leagues a year later when he took the mound against the Baltimore Orioles. The California native had four appearances over parts of three seasons at the major league level and earned a World Series ring during Boston’s 2004 championship season."

Oh yeah, Abe Alvarez, pitcher Reggio Emilia

This is proving to be harder than I thought. The majority of the people I get lined up to pick, I find out that theyre either leaving the league or hurt. Translation websites are a godsend.

I'll take my first stab at a foreign player:

ITALY - Former Philadelphia Phillies farmhand Daniel Gonzalez will suit up for Telemarket Rimini in the Italian Baseball League (IBL) this season. The slick-fielding shortstop will replace Manny Alexander who signed with Italian powerhouse Danesi Nettuno recently.The San Juan, Puerto Rico native grew up in Florida and spent five years in the Phillies minor league system after being drafted in the fourth round in 2000. Gonzalez batted .256 in 548 career games with affiliated professional baseball.

The 27-year-old hit .299 with 11 home runs and 59 RBIs on the Indy circuit the past two season for the Atlantic League’s Lancaster Barnstormers.

Gotta secure a SS. Wont be able to find one as dominating as Manny Alexander, but I think Gonzalez will be solid. On a side note, I knew that Manny Alexander was in the league, but I didnt make the connection that he's JUAN Alexander on the baseball.it site. I wouldve picked him before you, you chump.

For pick 12, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Daniel Gonzalez, SS, Telemarket Remini.

Going the Foreign Route again:

For pick 13, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Alex Sambucci, 1B, Cariparma Parma.

Cariparma Parma successfully secured the services of 19-year-old power hitter Alex Sambucci. The slugging first baseman smacked a team-high eight home runs last season while collecting 39 RBIs and scoring 35 runs while batting .303.

1) Vriez - Richard Austin, OF, Fortitudo Bologna

2) Wicked - Jairo Ramos, 1B, Montepaschi Grosseto

3) Vriez - Giuseppe Mazzanti, 3B, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

4) Wicked - Carlos Richetti, SP, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

5) Vriez - Martin Vasquez, OF, T&A San Marino

6) Wicked - Manny Alexander, SS, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

7) Vriez - Gustavo Martinez, SP, Telemarket Remini

8) Wicked - Johnny Caravajal, 3B, Cariparma Parma

9) Vriez - Claudio Liverziani, OF, Fortitudo Bologna

10) Wicked - Yoel Hernandez, SP, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

11) Wicked - Abe Alvarez, SP, Reggio Emilia

12) Vriez - Daniel Gonzalez, SS, Telemarket Remini

13) Wicked - Alex Sambucci, 1B, Cariparma Parma

Im crazy jealous of both Caravajal and Manny Alexander....and I think you struck gold with Yoel Hernandez.

"The team also locked up Jairo Ramos and Jorge Nunez for 2009" .............

time to go outfield

OF Jorge Nunez, MontePaschi Grosseto

league leader in stolen bases and runs scored in 2008, bitches

"Infielder Jorge Núñez was signed by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1995. After the 1999 season, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with Shawn Green for Raul Mondesi and Pedro Borbon. In 2002, he was sent with Matt Herges to the Montreal Expos for Guillermo Mota and Wilkin Ruan. The next year, he was traded again, this time going to the Chicago White Sox with Bartolo Colon for Rocky Biddle, Orlando Hernandez, Jeff Liefer, and cash. However, Núñez never reached the major leagues.

Núñez hit .278/.435/.389 with 3 steals and 5 runs in five games for Montepaschi Grosseto as they hosted a 2008 European Cup. They won Silver. He went 4 for 4 in the semifinals against T & A San Marino. He was 1 for 4 with a walk and 2 steals that fall in the 2008 European Cup Final Four. "

Baseball Cube

hahd cattivo picks Juan Camilo OF, Danesi Nettuno

this s*it is addicting

oh yeah, google Claudio Liverziani and look at the bottom of the web results.......ha!

hahd cattivo picks Juan Camilo OF, Danesi Nettuno

this s*it is addicting

oh yeah, google Claudio Liverziani and look at the bottom of the web results.......ha!

Dude. You had me PETRIFIED! I thought I missed something and Liverziani left the league or something. I always do an extensive check to try and make sure they'll be in the IBL in 2009, but I just KNOW that one of us is going to miss something.

Oh, and "hahd cattivo" is hilarious but unoriginal. I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta is much more creative.

Alright, Im going to take a chance that he'll be ready for Opening Day:

For pick 16 of Battle Italia, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Renato Imperiali, 2B, Caffe Danesi Nettuno.

I was actually going to take him last round, but I misinterpreted an article I found:

http://www.baseball.it/leggi_articolo.asp?id=17069

I initially thought that Imperiali tore his meniscus and will be out all of next season. However, after throwing it threw a different translator I get:

“The Prof. Zavattini has executed the lesionato removal of the menisco of the ginocchio left of Renato Imperiali, the practically broken off part of the menisco mediale that as well as it has made to suffer the player during agonistica season 2008 - the social doctor of Neptune has said after the participation just - Because of this lesion, the player has not never been able to train itself to must, causing also muscular troubles like during the dispute of the final badge. The participation has been executed in day-hospital, is lasted approximately 40 minuteren and is perfectly successful. From the next week Imperial it will already begin the phase of rieducazione and the fisioterapia for the recovery of the muscular tone ".

From this I get that it was a meniscus problem that was bothering him throughout last year. They did a perfectly successful 40 minute procedure (probably just a knee scope) and he'll already start rehabbing next week. Since the article broke in early November, I gotta believe he'll be fine for the season...given all the rest in between games. A different article I found was when he originally hurt it in May and had to miss a month...so his numbers are dont count a month:

Renato was a rookie star for Nettuno in 2008, hitting .304/.404/.464 and outperforming the club's two middle infielders with major league experience, Frank Menechino and Luis Ugueto. In the 2008 European Cup in Regensburg, he went 3 for 4 in an upset of DOOR Neptunus as Nettuno went on to win the title. He hit .316/.300/.316 during the Cup. In voting after the season at baseball.it, Imperiali was named the best young player in Italian baseball as well as the top second baseman.

Dude is only 23.

Dude. Im sooo f'ing mad. I thought I had THE find of the draft:

An online portal in Parma is reporting on Monday that the Italian Baseball League club CARIPARMA reinforces the pitching staff with Robert Cramer. The 29-year-old left-hander, who was born in Anaheim, California is coming from the ORANGE COUNTY FLYERS, the former clubof his new teammate Michael Jared Natale.

Cramer is a former minor leaguer in the TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS and OAKLAND ATHLETICS organizations. An elbow injury led to Tommy John surgery in 2002 hurt his career and even led to a retirement stint after his release by TAMPA BAY following the 2004 season. He got another chance with the A’s in 2007, pitching at High A and Double A. He then moved on to independent league ball with the FLYERS. In three minor league seasons between 2003 and 2007 he managed a 15-7 record with an ERA of 2.95. He struck out 155 (38 walks) in 183 1/3 innings. In 2008 he had a 7-4 record with an ERA of 3.93 for ORANGE COUNTY. He picked up 92 strikeouts in 91.2 innings pitched, walking 16.

...........and then I found this:

http://www.orangecountyflyers.com/News/Cra...and-As!.cfm

Bull****.

Instead I'll take Tiago Da Silva.

For pick #17, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Tiago Da Silva, SP, T&A San Marino.

13) Vriez - Alex Sambucci, 1B, Cariparma Parma

14) Wicked - Jorge Nunez, OF, MontePaschi Grosseto

15) Wicked - Juan Camilo, OF, Danesi Nettuno

16) Vriez - Renato Imperiali, 2B, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

17) Vriez - Tiago Da Silva, SP, T&A San Marino

Instead I'll take Tiago Da Silva.

For pick #17, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Tiago Da Silva, SP, T&A San Marino.

OUTSIDE-RECEIVERS (outfielders)

INTERNI INTERNAL (infirelders)

LANCIATORI Launchers (pitchers)

OF James Buccheri San Marino

SP Horacio Estrada San Marino

For Pick #20, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Cody Cillo, SP, Fortitudo Bologna.

Cillo put together an outstanding season going 9-1 for the regular season title-holders. In 14 starts, he surrendered just 12 earned runs in 80 1/3 innings to boast an eye-catching 1.34 ERA with 65 strikeouts and 22 walks. Cillo was not afraid to pitch inside as he hit nine batters to lead the league and finished the season without allowing a single home run.

His WHIP was .93 and he plays for the best team.

Alright, the last thing I want to do is add an outfielder that hit only .233 last year, but youre damn near running a monopoly on speedsters and I gotta grab one while I still can. Tough decision between Messineo and Duran. Both hit .233, both are 25/26.

I know that Messineo had the higher OBP.....but Im going to go with Duran based on his 2008 playoff stats. I cant seem to find a game log on any sites, but the fact that he tore the cover off the ball in the playoffs ( http://www.baseball.it/team_stats.asp?team...izione_reale=62) tells me that he possibly trended up.

With pick #21, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Carlos Duran, CF, Caffe Danesi Nettuno.

13) Vriez - Alex Sambucci, 1B, Cariparma Parma

14) Wicked - Jorge Nunez, OF, MontePaschi Grosseto

15) Wicked - Juan Camilo, OF, Danesi Nettuno

16) Vriez - Renato Imperiali, 2B, Caffe Danesi Nettuno

17) Vriez - Tiago Da Silva, SP, T&A San Marino

18) Wicked - James Buccheri, OF, T&A San Marino

19) Wicked - Horacio Estrada, SP, T&A San Marino

20) Vriez - Cody Cillo, SP, Fortitudo Bologna

21) Vriez - Carlos Duran, OF, T&A San Marino

For Pick #20, I Maniatori Implacabili Della Pasta select Cody Cillo, SP, Fortitudo Bologna.

Cillo put together an outstanding season going 9-1 for the regular season title-holders. In 14 starts, he surrendered just 12 earned runs in 80 1/3 innings to boast an eye-catching 1.34 ERA with 65 strikeouts and 22 walks. Cillo was not afraid to pitch inside as he hit nine batters to lead the league and finished the season without allowing a single home run.

His WHIP was .93 and he plays for the best team.

Except for this part:

Talent-laden Vipers oozing with confidence before camp

UPDATED: 2009-04-01 02:32:05 MST

By WES GILBERTSON, SUN MEDIA

Email Print Write Size: A A A Share:

If there wasn't a heap of snow hiding the grass at Foothills Stadium, Calgary Vipers talent scout Peter Young would be tempted to walk onto the field and scream 'Play ball!'

When you're confident you've hit a home run with your off-season wheeling and dealing, spring simply can't come soon enough.

"I don't think we've ever had as much strength on either side of the board -- the pitching side or the position player side. We're as strong as we've ever been," said Young, the Vipers' director of baseball operations.

"On paper, I challenge any team to say they've got a roster as strong as this one."

The club announced its training camp invites yesterday, and Snakes fans will recognize several faces when the hopefuls hit the field May 9.

Slugger Drew Miller, infielders Carlos Duncan and Nelson Castro and pitching ace Evan Greusel headline a list of a dozen returnees from last season's squad, which was clipped by the Orange County Flyers in the final game of the Golden League championship series. They'll be joined in camp by some intriguing newcomers, including former Okotoks Dawgs standout Manny Kumar, knuckleballer Chris Nowlin and sidearmer Cody Cillo who pitched for Italy at this year's World Baseball Classic. Former Flyers sluggers Terry Mermer and Mark Okano are both pencilled into the projected lineup.

"We've never, ever been in a position where we've been this prepared this far before camp," Young said.

The squad opens its regular-season slate May 21.

LOL, you gotta do your research, I was going to pick him earlier...........

Dude, this is complete and utter bullsh*t

http://www.calgaryvipers.com/clubhouse/roster.html

Cillo AND Austin?!?!?!? My #1 pick???

ARE YOU F*CKING SERIOUS???!!!????

Ive read on all these stupid Italian sites that Austin is going to be back. How does that happen? How does the absolute best player in your entire league get signed by Canada and you miss the news? Thatd be like Hanley or Albert Pujols getting signed to play in Japan and MLB.com not even covering the story.

The Calgary Vipers?

What a bunch of douchebags. I hope all the Canadian players quit and take up curling instead and the whole f'ing team has to dismantle.

I dont get it.

Look:

http://www.calgaryvipers.com/press/recent/recent020908.html

This is an article from September 2nd, 2008 and it talks of a Richard Austin getting key hits.

And heres a box score from August 22nd for Bologna:

http://www.fortitudobaseball.com/home.html

Are there 2 Richard Austins....or did he finish out the regular season and immediately sign with Calgary?

(plus Calgary's site calls him an Infielder and he was a centerfielder for Bologna last year)

I dont get it.

Look:

http://www.calgaryvipers.com/press/recent/recent020908.html

This is an article from September 2nd, 2008 and it talks of a Richard Austin getting key hits.

And heres a box score from August 22nd for Bologna:

http://www.fortitudobaseball.com/home.html

Are there 2 Richard Austins....or did he finish out the regular season and immediately sign with Calgary?

(plus Calgary's site calls him an Infielder and he was a centerfielder for Bologna last year)

If you look at his cube, he only played in four games for Calgary. My guess is that after tearing it up in Italy, Calgary signed him for the remainder of the year and brought him back for this year. Same middle name of Unseld and everything. I think you should blame the Calgary Vipers manager.....Gary Carter. Apparently he feels this is the straightest shot to that job with the Mets he was clamoring over last year when they fired Randolph.

If you look at his cube, he only played in four games for Calgary. My guess is that after tearing it up in Italy, Calgary signed him for the remainder of the year and brought him back for this year. Same middle name of Unseld and everything. I think you should blame the Calgary Vipers manager.....Gary Carter. Apparently he feels this is the straightest shot to that job with the Mets he was clamoring over last year when they fired Randolph.

Straight from Mister Baseball in November:

They might miss their most important pitcher, but at least their most dangerous bat will be in the lineup next season. Richard Austin is expected to extend his contract and both sides already agreed on the terms. He batted .366 (OBP .475/SLG .652) with ten homeruns, 43 runs scored and 50 RBIs. He led the IBL in runs scored, RBIs, homeruns, slugging percentage and total bases.

On February 9th:

The core of the pitching staff most likely will remain the same. Cody Cillo (9-1, ERA 1.34), Fabio Betto (7-1, ERA 3.56) and Fabio Milano (2-2, ERA 2.25) were already confirmed. Matteo D’Angelo (2-0, ERA 2.25) will reinforce the pitching after finishing the college season in the United States. Chris George (1-0, ERA 0.82) is expected back too, though this depends also on his studying in the US. The visas of outfielder Richard Austin (.366/.475/.652) and pitcher Jesus Matos (7-2, ERA 1.84) were renewed by BOLOGNA and confirmed by the FIBS last week.

And again from March 30th:

FORTITUDO dominated throughout the regular season in Italy last year, but were eliminated during the semi-final round and had to settle with the Coppa Italia trophy. The last time a Bologna based club won a European Cup was 36 years ago, when AMARO MONTENEGRO BOLOGNA won the title in 1973. Nonetheless BOLOGNA is one of the favored clubs in the competition with Richard Austin and Joseph Mazzuca leading the offense. Ace Jesus Matos is back and will head the pitching staff with Cody Cillo, and newcomers Yulman Ribeiro and Eddy Rodriguez. The latter is a former Major Leaguer, who officially joined the team last week together with fellow Dominican big leaguer Eddy Garabito.

I guess its not as reliable of a source as we thought. B)

Right-hander Cody Cillo is not coming back to FORTITUDO BOLOGNA for the upcoming Italian Baseball League season. The 28-year-old was pitching in Italy the past three seasons and also was a member of the Italian National Team. Following the 2009 World Baseball Classic, in which he allowed a solo homerun in one inning pitched over two games, Cillo decided to join the Independent League club Calgary Vipers. It is going to be his second stint with the Northern League affiliate, as he played for the club in 2005 after his time in the Florida Marlins organization.

Another former Minor League is going to replace Cillo in the pitching staff of FORTITUDO. Giuseppe Norrito, who pitched for Italy in the 2006 WBC and the 2007 European Championships, will return to Europe. The 26-year-old righty from Sacramento, California played for Messina (Serie A2) in 2002 (ERA 3.76) and 2003 (ERA 1.95) before going back to the United States. In 2004 he was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 48th round of the amateur draft and pitched in the Minor Leagues since. In 2008 he joined the Washington Nationals organization and reached Triple-A ball. During his five-year professional career Norrito had 19-11 record with an ERA of 3.76 in 76 games (25 starts), striking out 126 batters (60 walks) in 241 2/3 innings.

With that, I take SP Gieseppe Norrito Fortitudo

and

The Italian Baseball League club DE ANGELIS GODO announced this week that they have reached an agreement with outfielder and leadoff hitter Pedro Mendez. The Cuban with Spanish passport played the past four seasons in the Spanish Division de Honor and also was a member of the Spanish National Team at the 2007 Baseball World Cup in Taiwan. In 2008 Mendez played for EL LLANO and batted .356 (OBP .452/SLG .396) with four doubles, 27 runs scored and twelve RBI in 28 games. He also stole nine bases for the 20-12 club.

OF Pedro Mendez-DE ANGELIS GODO

I'll go the foreign route:

Most Dutch national team members fear to lose their place in Robert Eenhoorn’s squad if they would join the Italian Baseball League. Not Ivanon Coffie. Baseball.it reports that the 31-year-old infielder signs with TELEMARKET RIMINI to replace Juan Melo at third base. Coffie, who played 23 big league games for the BALTIMORE ORIOLES in 2000 (.217/.284/.317), began the 2008 season in Taiwan, joined the Hoofdklasse club DOOR NEPTUNUS for 13 games, before returning to the United States to play for LANCASTER in the Atlantic League (Independent).

Born in Curacao, Coffie signed as an undrafted amateur free agent with the ORIOLES in 1995. He moved through the minor league system and reached the majors in 2000. He left the organization after the 2001 season and spent time with the CUBS, CARDINALS and ASTROS, besides a short return stint with the O’s. However he never reached the MLB again. In 876 minor league games he batted .247 (.315/.404) with 85 homeruns.

He left the United States after the 2004 season and joined ALMERE’90 in the Netherlands for two seasons. He missed most parts of the 2007 season due to an accident and wanted to play in the Chinese Professional League in 2008. But things didn’t work out and he came back to the Dutch Major League, reinforcing NEPTUNUS. In 13 games he batted .304 (.439/.500) with two homeruns, nine runs scored and 14 RBIs.

However shortly afterwards, Coffie received the opportunity to resume his career in the US and played for LANCASTER in the reminder of the year. There he had a batting average of .275 (.378/.533) with twelve homeruns, 40 runs scored and 27 RBIs in 70 games. In RIMINI he is expected to succeed Melo (.217/.292/.355) at the hot corner. The team finished in sixth place in 2008 with a 19-23 record, 15 games behind first place.

Cube: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Ivanon-Coffie.shtml

http://www.baseballrimini.net/index.php?canale=coffie (confirmation this time)