Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Dumbest Fantasy Baseball Moves

Thought this would be a fun idea to pose to the RW community - however I'd like to steer people clear of the ever-present "play in real leagues" comments and just enjoy the fun of poking fun at your leaguemates.

I'll open it with a jaw-dropper - In my fairly shallow 12 team 20-man roster redraft league i checked the waiver to see this move:

Yovani Gallardo dropped for Mark Buehrle

Beat that! B)

somebody actually drafted ben sheets in my league

A guy in one of my leagues used the #1 waiver priority on Shawn Marcum...

4 years ago I was a fantasy noob and traded Randy Johnson and Travis Hafner for Pierre because I needed steals. That was my personal dumbest move of all time.

16 team, H2H league with King of the Diamond who posts on here as well.

3rd pick in the 1st round...the guy picks RUSSELL MARTIN

no lie...I was shocked.

no lie...I was shocked.

That's hilarious.

I wonder if there was any way that we can get all of these people that we're talking about and put them in a league together. Somebody would have to win...right?

Greatest trade I ever pulled off was in 2006. Chad Orvella for Curt Schilling. My friend was a Rays fan who really liked Chad Orvella so I drafted him at the end because I knew I could play that to my advantage. He didn't think Schilling had anything left so he made the trade.

I dropped Russel Martin in 2007...

Just before he turned it on and racked up the steals and RBI.

We have a very competitive 12-team mixed league where most of the owners have been playing together for at least 6 years. The type of league where everybody works near a computer and is constantly checking their teams 24/7...nobody ever misses any at-bats during the season because if one of their guys isn't playing they're there to switch him out. Definitely no owners on auto-pilot. There is a husband and wife duo who each manages their own team and the wife drafted Derek Jeter with the 10th pick and the husband drafted Alexei Ramirez with the 12th. Surprisingly, they both ended up with pretty decent looking teams, too.

two years ago there was a guy in my league that drafted josh beckett first overall lol safe to say it was his first run at a yahoo league, or fantasy league in general lol he finished dead last

My 1999 team included Fernando Tatis and Chan Ho Park. I started Park and sat Tatis...yep, the same day Tatis hit TWO GRAND SLAMS off Park in one inning. I vomited on myself as I checked the box score, cursed the manager for leaving Park in to give up TWO GRAND SLAMS in one inning, and didn't look at my team for at least a week.

Guest ciderjack6

Last year in early May in my redraft league I was involved in a three way trade:

I gave Francisco Rodriguez to team B for Joba and Fukudome. I then spun Joba for Clay Buchholz.

So I traded K-Rod for Fukudome and Buchholz...we all know how this turned out. B)

I might have you all beat. Both of these are from this year.

12 Team Redraft - RD 1 Pk 4 - Papellbon... in the guys defense, it is his first year in our league, and I think this is his first year ever. But still. Terrible.

12 Team Keeper - Owner drops Cano for Alexi Casilla. Yesterday. I have the #1 WW position, and I already put in the claim. I already have a few offers lined up. Guess the guy should have put him on the block first. Oh well. His loss is my gain.

Someone drafted Lincecum in the 1st in a draft I was just in...not the worst move ever, but pretty questionable at pick #7. Luckily this was on my pub league account B)

Back in 2000 I dropped Jose Vidro before the season started. He then went 101/27/97 with a 330 average. From a second baseman we're talking 2nd-3rd round value.

I have to defend myself though, I was 11 years old but still finished a respectable 5th at the end of the year.

My 1999 team included Fernando Tatis and Chan Ho Park. I started Park and sat Tatis...yep, the same day Tatis hit TWO GRAND SLAMS off Park in one inning. I vomited on myself as I checked the box score, cursed the manager for leaving Park in to give up TWO GRAND SLAMS in one inning, and didn't look at my team for at least a week.

If this actually happened, I'm pretty sure it cannot be beat by anyone in this thread.

I play in a pretty competitive deep 14-teamer redraft with the same group for the past 5 years. My worst move in recent memory was in 2007 when I picked up Lincecum about 3 weeks before he got called up. I'm pretty sure I held onto him through all of his first 9 games when he was getting rocked to the tune of:

52 IP, 54 SO, 5.88 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

Finally, I got fed up and cut him where he was immediately picked up by someone else in my league. He proceeded to finish the season with:

94.1 IP, 96 SO, 2.96 ERA, 1.24 WHIP B)

I bet I'm not the only one here guilty of that one.

If this actually happened, I'm pretty sure it cannot be beat by anyone in this thread.

Thats terrible. Absolutely terrible luck. But its not a bad move, just bad luck.

This has to be the winner!

I'm a trigger happy owner, so I added and dropped Timmy (in a keeper league) in 2007, added and droped TCQ, Alexei, Danks (White sox theme), and lord knows who else last year. Oh, and last year I traded Oswalt after his crap start for Carlos Pena and Snell. Christ. Oswalt couldn't be kept at least.

no lie...I was shocked.

Same league as my OP (but different team), he was picked 6th overall. I think he mis-pre-ranked his players as his next two picks were Mauer and Soto.

It's not fair to point the finger so I'll put up my 2 worst moves in my fantasy career:

1) Trading Manny and Utley for Ortiz. I managed to come in second though - to the guy i traded to. B)

2) Adding Ryan Braun right when he came available, then dropping him for someone pretty irrelevant - before he went ape-s.

last season in the early going, i had both Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz on my team, both started very poorly and i felt i needed to drop one of them....needless to say, i dropped Lester...pretty dumb

Same league as my OP (but different team), he was picked 6th overall. I think he mis-pre-ranked his players as his next two picks were Mauer and Soto.

A similiar situation happened last year in our 14-teamer. One of our biggest trash talkers had massive computer problems on draft day and was forced to autodraft. Due to an obvious glitch in Yahoo's predraft rankings he ended up taking Jason Varitek with the 63rd overall pick in the 5th round.

There were more than a few "Will Varitek make it out of the 5th this year?" jokes going around this year on draft day.

With Martin at least your guy was getting a GOOD catcher!

I have quite a few from my younger days.

Back in the late 90's I traded Rafael Palmeiro for Matt Karchner.

Then I traded Frank Thomas for Scott Kamienicki.

For those of you who don't know/don't remember the two latter gentlemen, there is a very good reason why.

More recently, I have seen some players make mind-boggling stupid moves. In my current CBS league, I watched a Pirates fan select Ryan Doumit, Matt Capps, and Nate Mclouth with her first three picks.

Two years ago, I saw Greg Maddux go in the first round to a rabid Cubs fan. That drew a lot of laughter as well.

I have quite a few from my younger days.

Back in the late 90's I traded Rafael Palmeiro for Matt Karchner.

Then I traded Frank Thomas for Scott Kamienicki.

For those of you who don't know/don't remember the two latter gentlemen, there is a very good reason why.

More recently, I have seen some players make mind-boggling stupid moves. In my current CBS league, I watched a Pirates fan select Ryan Doumit, Matt Capps, and Nate Mclouth with her first three picks.

Two years ago, I saw Greg Maddux go in the first round to a rabid Cubs fan. That drew a lot of laughter as well.

In 2006, a guy drafted griffey #8 overall...reds fan of course.