Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Dumbest Fantasy Baseball Moves

I have quite a few from my younger days.

Back in the late 90's I traded Rafael Palmeiro for Matt Karchner.

Then I traded Frank Thomas for Scott Kamienicki.

For those of you who don't know/don't remember the two latter gentlemen, there is a very good reason why.

More recently, I have seen some players make mind-boggling stupid moves. In my current CBS league, I watched a Pirates fan select Ryan Doumit, Matt Capps, and Nate Mclouth with her first three picks.

Two years ago, I saw Greg Maddux go in the first round to a rabid Cubs fan. That drew a lot of laughter as well.

Did she ride a unicorn made of rainbows to the draft?

Did she ride a unicorn made of rainbows to the draft?

Yes, and she was accompanied by a dragon, a Cubs World Series Championship, and a female virgin from New Jersey.

traded hanley ramirez for derek jeter straight up in a keeper league where we only keep two hitters two pitchers, 1-2 months into the 2007 season

During my first season in '93, I was asked for my Jay Buhner, and was told that I could take any of his pitchers for him. I settled on Erik Hanson, passing up Randy Johnson because, I figured, he walked too many people. Besides, Hanson was 5-0 at the time!

That, of course, was the year that Unit won 19, struck out 308, and became Randy Johnson. Hanson lost 8 of his next 9 starts.

Yes, and she was accompanied by a dragon, a Cubs World Series Championship, and a female virgin from New Jersey.

hilarious!

Oh, we're talking about our personal dumbest moves?

Just before the 2006 season, I drafted a kid in my dynasty league who hit 20+ HR in 80 ABs the year before. His name, Ryan Howard. But I had Jack Wilson as my only SS. So I pursued a trade of Howard for Omar Vizquel. Oh, and I came in 14th out of 16 teams that year.

Oh, we're talking about our personal dumbest moves?

Just before the 2006 season, I drafted a kid in my dynasty league who hit 20+ HR in 80 ABs the year before. His name, Ryan Howard. But I had Jack Wilson as my only SS. So I pursued a trade of Howard for Omar Vizquel. Oh, and I came in 14th out of 16 teams that year.

ouch

I saw Papelbon traded for Xavier Nady during a draft this season.....

I saw Papelbon traded for Xavier Nady during a draft this season.....

A trade like that would make me quit the league!!! Oh wait... B)

I hate to derail this, but 2 years ago in FF league a guy drafted Todd Heap #2 then called his team Heap-O-Trouble and proceeded not to be much trouble at all.

somebody actually drafted ben sheets in my league

worse is the guy who picks up Rickie Weeks

I was in a league when Phil Hughes was out there pitching that nohitter to the Rangers (b4 he hurt his leg in the 7th) and basically someone pulled the trigger on Hughes for Haren. ouch

worse is the guy who picks up Rickie Weeks

Hey!

Well, at least I didn't draft him. Got him as an FA to backup Utley when he was still unsure about making the start of the season.

I dropped CQ last year after what seemed to be an endless streak of uninspiring 1/4 nights...I was just impatient period. You don't even want to know who I dropped him for..but either way, I ended up being 1.5 games out of the playoffs (14 teams). I was so sure I was gonna squeeze into the playoffs after beating the last playoff team 10-2 and gaining a solid lead heading into the final week. Who knows if CQ would've made a difference.

Well I typically hate prospects, but here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head...

-dropped Hanley during his breakout season during a slump. I don't remember what he did the rest of the year, but it doesn't matter. To my defense, I didn't follow prospects of any kind at that point so had no clue who he was or what his skill set was.

-picked up Braun for his call up, then dropped him to stream some pitcher (don't remember who and doesn't matter) to try and win that week.... and didn't get him back.

-also dropped Lince after like 8 crap starts from him and never got him back for the good stretch run.

This might be my personal favorite, but I was starving for a 3B and SP in my dynasty preseason last year, and I traded away Mussina and DeRosa for Boof Freaking Bonser and Felipe Lopez (wanted his steals and he was guaranteed the job).

Yeah, in short... I suck.

In 2006 I was offered Kinsler, Rios, and Johjima for McCann. I turned it down. He how was I supposed to know Kinsler would be awesome?

I ended up trading McCann for Carlos Lee, then traded Lee and Harang for Lincecum and Church.

In short, McCann for Linceum, I'll take it. Good recovery on a dumb move.

16 team, H2H league with King of the Diamond who posts on here as well.

3rd pick in the 1st round...the guy picks RUSSELL MARTIN

no lie...I was shocked.

Worse yet, my friend picked V-Mart with the 8th overall pick. My name's Victor Martinez this year to commemorate that historic event.

My worst move? Suggesting to my friend (Who would later oust me in the first round) to pick up Pena in the beginning of the season for some "cheap" power. Cheap comes at 40+ bombs, of course. In another hit on me, I picked up Prince Fielder when my drunk and high friend dropped him but dropped him for who? AJ BURNETT. I needed pitching, I said. Yea, what I needed was common sense. Pauly Konerko was gonna be my savior..

3rd pick in the 1st round...the guy picks RUSSELL MARTIN

Dude, that's nothing.

In a 12 team league this year, Russell Martin was taken in the 1st round, 7th pick overall. In the 2nd round, the same owner picked Brian McCann. In the 3rd round, the same owner took Geovany Soto and followed it up by taking Victor Martinez in the 4th. A different owner, obviously scared they weren't going to get a good catcher, took Ryan Doumit in the 3rd. In that same draft, a different owner took Chris Carpenter in the 3rd.

a guy in my league just dropped Zack Grenkie for **Brad Penny**...and heck i had the first WW priority.....so ...pretty happy with that.......

Traded McCann for Vic Martinez before the season started last year...ahahhahaha...I finished 18th out of 20 teams.

</I></B>

Dude, that's nothing.

In a 12 team league this year, Russell Martin was taken in the 1st round, 7th pick overall. In the 2nd round, the same owner picked Brian McCann. In the 3rd round, the same owner took Geovany Soto and followed it up by taking Victor Martinez in the 4th. A different owner, obviously scared they weren't going to get a good catcher, took Ryan Doumit in the 3rd. In that same draft, a different owner took Chris Carpenter in the 3rd.

Ah, the legendary "All Catcher" Strategy....

My personal worst was in my first year (2002, I think)... Jim Thome got off to an ice cold start and I dropped him for Derrek Lee. Thome went on to absolutely kill the ball.

I also engaged in the worst fantasy trade ever that year. I traded Jose Valentin and Eli Marrero for Esteban Yan and Carl Everett.

Last year we had a new member of my 20 year league and he was a total noob and he made a total crickets manuever.

First he took Jonathan Papelbon with the 3rd pick in the draft. (With 2 saved players it was really like the 3rd round.) He did finish as the 15th overall pitcher in points scored, but the second closer didn't go till 3 rounds later.

But Paps was nothing compared to his 3rd and 4th rounders! He drafted Jarrod Saltalamacchia with his 3rd round pick (fifth rounder counting the saved players.) Salty was the first catcher off the board! Then to fix his problem he took Mauer the next round as the 2nd catcher to be drafted

Needless to say, it was a bad draft for him all around.

I can't wait for next weekend to see what else he does!

2 Weeks ago, the day before Ervin Santana got hurt he traded away a 5th round pick for him to be his saved pitcher! (We save 1 hitter and 1 pitcher) We're all wondering if he's still gonna save him now or just throw away his 5th rounder and go back to keeping Papelbon!

somebody actually drafted ben sheets in my league

That's a common thing you know.

It don't mather if the player is injured or that they might not even pitch this season. In almost every single draft someone will Draft them without fail.

So if it isn't sheets then it's Billy Wagner.