Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Dumbest Fantasy Baseball Moves

One move I'll never live down happened last year in a keeper league. I needed a SS but also saw that Lincy was available. I live near the bay area so I go to a ton of Giants games and needless to say I'm a huge fan of Lincy. I originally drafted him(offline draft)...only to freakin edit my pick minutes later to Michael Young, expecting that I could have gotten Lincy with my next pick. 4 picks later he's off the board and now most likely will never be on my team in the keeper league

...ended up trading Michael Young around midseason to

Back in 2006 (I think, whatever year was Tim's first in Atlanta), a guy in my league drafted Tim Hudson first overall. FIRST. OVERALL.

Needless to say, he's not in the league anymore.

That's a common thing you know.

It don't mather if the player is injured or that they might not even pitch this season. In almost every single draft someone will Draft them without fail.

So if it isn't sheets then it's Billy Wagner.

I missed a live draft this year and was awarded with both Sheets and Wagner... go figure

Some Red Sox fan in one of my leagues dropped Joey Votto for Tim Wakefield.

And the best part was he went on the league message board and bragged about his move saying Wakefield is going to have huge year.

Hidden
This year, some guy in my league drafted Jimmy Rollins over Ryan Braun. That's ridiculous.

I have Braun ranked 5th overall and Rollins ranked 7th.

Invisible since we are now venturing into BC territory - original portion edited as well.

You play long enough in fantasy baseball, you chalk up quite a few n=bone-headed moves.

Here are some of MY bone-headed moves:

1) In my 12-team 5x5 mixed perpetual keeper league I traded AWAY Granderson after his rookie season in exchange, one for one, Chris Burke. No kidding. I hated how Granderson looked in Spetember of his rookie season, and thought Biggio was going to retire befor the end of Spring training, and wanted Burke as my FIFTH IF (yup ... 5th ... play 3, and have a 7-man bench - but was looking to trade 1 IF, so wanted to make sure I had 4). Oops!

2) In the same league as #1 above, Traded Tori Hunter in late-April 2006, I think, in exchange for that Detroit slugger who had 11 HR in April, but who then disappeared. Hunter was hitting .180 at the time, but went on to finish at .275 or so, with 31 HR, 90+ RBI and a good number of SB, followed by 2 productive seaosns after that. Oops.

3) In a 15-team perpetual keeper league with the same format as the 12-team league mentioned above, WAIVED Ryan Braun (the Mil 3B, not the KC reliever) in early March (the last drop/add period prior to Mid-April) to pick up some set-up reliver - who was so bad, I do not even remember his name anymore - or maybe Iam blacking it out. Triple oops!

4) In my 11-team NL-only, 4x4 auction league, during the auction infront of the 2006 season, did the unpardonable, nominated a pitcher for $1 who I did not want on my roster: Russ Ortiz ... oh ... my ... g-d ... 115 IP, 6.00+ ERA, 1.84 WHIP ... despite waiving him by may, it was too late ... destroyed my pitching staff. I kept thinking after each start, that NOBODY could actually pitch that badly, so I shopud giveit one more start. Oops ... sigh.

These are just some of the ridiculous moves I have made over the years.

Dropped Longoria after he was sent down last year to start the season....figured with the way they jerked Delmon around that Longoria would get much of the same. In a keeper league no less. The league keeps only 6 players each team and wasnt big into prospects so I figure hey why not drop him now and grab him later. There was no later.....someone scooped him when he cleared and the rest is history. What makes it worse and there wont be a single person to disagree with me here.........I kept A.Gordon as my 3B alllllllllllllllll year waitin waitin waitin.

So I missed out on Longoria and subjected myself to A.Gordon all season. It wasnt a pretty year for me.

Dropped Longoria after he was sent down last year to start the season....figured with the way they jerked Delmon around that Longoria would get much of the same. In a keeper league no less. The league keeps only 6 players each team and wasnt big into prospects so I figure hey why not drop him now and grab him later. There was no later.....someone scooped him when he cleared and the rest is history. What makes it worse and there wont be a single person to disagree with me here.........I kept A.Gordon as my 3B alllllllllllllllll year waitin waitin waitin.

So I missed out on Longoria and subjected myself to A.Gordon all season. It wasnt a pretty year for me.

Precisely why I never have Gordon on my roster. I can't deal with the stress.

easily one of the WORST trades in my F.B life.

beginning of the 2001 season..i was in need of pitching so i decided to traded shawn green(dodgers) for mike hampton(colorado)..i'll stop right there....stats speak for themselves...*shakes fist in air* damn..

Green had a career year in 2001, batting .297 (.331 with runners in scoring position) with a .598 slugging percentage (a career best), 49 home runs (a career best), 121 runs (7th in the league), 125 RBI (a career best), 370 total bases (5th in the league), and 20 stolen bases..

Hampton went a disappointing 14–13 with a 5.12 ERA ...

live and learn....

Dropped Oswalt last year when he was so-so. He was picked up immediately and then went on a terror.

I drafted him this year and needless to say I won't be dropping him no matter what happens.

Man, the same thing nearly happened to me last year. I dropped him when he was sent down and decided to roll with Crede. A week later, I panicked and decided to pick him up. During his one-week stay on the waiver wire, nobody picked him up. Dead leagues are awesome and crap.

Several years ago, a guy in my dynasty league had his team based on the Cardinals (We all have a base "home team"). A few games into the season, he traded a rookie 3rd baseman for 20 game winner Jon Lieber. That rookie 3B? Albert Pujols.

My biggest blunder: drafting Ryan Shealy two years ago,

The worst I've seen: this year someone takes Mauer #1 overall, and follows it up with Casilla. Clearly a Twins fan, but it's his third year in. He ought to know better.

Someone in my league just traded me:

McCann/Hart/Figgins for Posada/Ibanez/Cantu

Bad move for them........Great for me B)

Figured I'd vouch for them

Last year I had Cano, and it was burning me up that Jose Lopez was sitting on the WW (20 team league). Mulled over who to drop for a week, then reading Erik Carabell's blog I saw he said "Carlos Quentin won't be a factor this year". Dropped Quentin, picked up Lopez... you guys know the rest of the story. Finished in 8th place, somewhere like 10 pts out of 4th, weak in HR and RBI.... ugh.

Saw a guy take David Price 4th round 2 weeks ago

non keeper league to boot

He went in the 11th round of my draft today.

2 yrs ago....waiver claim on a Yahoo league. Braun and Gallardo both added to the player pool the same week.

I got Gallardo, my arch-rival got Braun.

Braun had a tiny slump a few weeks later, MY ARCH RIVAL DROPPED BRAUN!

I claimed and got Braun the next week.

Sooooo, it's my greatest move, his worst move...LOL!

Last year in a 12-teamer, I drafted Salty and panicked went he got sent down before the season started. Doumit, Iannetta, Shoppach and Napoli all went undrafted and were available as free agents for quite some time.

Instead, I traded Corey Hart and, ahem, Josh Hamilton for V-Mart.

Amazingly enough, I still ended up winning the league and the guy I traded with finished dead last. B)

While I'm on the subject: I also drafted Dick Harden in the late rounds last year and then dropped him during his first DL stint. I never got him back. We all know how that one turned out.

There. Now my humiliation is complete.

In my NL Keeper league.

In 2007 I picked up Matt Kemp and Andre Eithier in the same week. Then another owner in my league who is a huge dodger fan offered me Matt antonelli for both of them.

I took the deal and get reminded of constantly.

Doesn't count as a dumb "move", but someone in my league tried to convince me that Jacoby Ellsbury would have a better year than Jermaine Dye last year...

Doesn't sound bad at face value, but this is a H2H league where the only stat is Total Bases.

A couple of years ago, early 2007, a guy in our league traded a slumping Ichiro for Juan Pierre. It was almost vetoed.

Since that time, the mere mention of Juan Pierre in our league elicits a bevy of activity on the message board. People are still incensed over it (perhaps it's needless to tell you that the Ichiro recipient won the league not just in 2007, but also 2008).

----

We all make newbie mistakes, I imagine. My first year was 2007, and I really didn't understand the game at all. Our league was Autopick, and I didn't really understood what it meant to edit my predraft rankings. I just pulled some players I liked (or at least I had heard of) into that little box.

So my draft started like this:

Rnd 1: Derek Jeter

Rnd 2: Mariano Rivera

You can guess what team I root for.

I proved a quick study though, and managed to come in 4th (out of 9) that first year. 3rd out of 12 in 08, and this year I'm gonna win it!

Dumbest move I have seen this season.

A guy drafts D. Wright #2, then the next day packages him with Matt Holliday #26 for Aramis Ramirez #32, Hunter Pence #89, and Torii Hunter #104.

He explained that Wright and Aram were basically the same minus the steals. He drafted Holliday cause he didn't like him and wanted to deal him, and that Pence and Hunter's combined #'s would be better......

I don't know what to say to this guy other than I'm glad he's already paid his league dues.