Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NapPYdugout

Top Minors Players for 2009 Impact

trying to make a list of up and comers this year..trying to keep an eye open for the future..price and wieters were recently taken in my draft..(h2h points league)

so besides these two studs who else do you see climbing into the major this season and a can't miss? thanks

trying to make a list of up and comers this year..trying to keep an eye open for the future..price and wieters were recently taken in my draft..(h2h points league)

so besides these two studs who else do you see climbing into the major this season and a can't miss? thanks

There are not many can't miss guys for this season seeing as you named the only 2 can't misses IMO. Other guys who should be up this season and make some sort of impact would be...

Trevor Cahill

Colby Rasmus

Cameron Maybin

Matt LaPorta

I don't really see any others making any sort of impact, maybe Andrew McCutchen, Mat Gamel and a few others but there are no can't miss prospects aside from Wieters and Price for this season impact.

Tommy Hanson

Gordon Beckham still needs more time down on the farm, and Elvis Andrus projects to be a much more useful REAL baseball player than a useful fantasy option.

No mention of Travis Snider? Or is he no longer considered a prospect because of his late season call up in '08?

I think Gio Gonzalez will step right in to the Oakland rotation and provide the team with handful of quality starts, and high K totals. There are loads of young talented pitchers in Oakland, but I don't think any of them are ready to be truly effective at the major league level. It could be a long year in the bay but the future, as always, appears very bright.

I think James McDonald has the ability to become an impact starter in Los Angeles and was just named as the Dodgers 5th starter.

Also, I'm sure he doesn't really count as a prospect but I think '09 is the year for the breakout of the best name in the majors...Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Gordon Beckham still needs more time down on the farm, and Elvis Andrus projects to be a much more useful REAL baseball player than a useful fantasy option.

No mention of Travis Snider? Or is he no longer considered a prospect because of his late season call up in '08?

I think Gio Gonzalez will step right in to the Oakland rotation and provide the team with handful of quality starts, and high K totals. There are loads of young talented pitchers in Oakland, but I don't think any of them are ready to be truly effective at the major league level. It could be a long year in the bay but the future, as always, appears very bright.

I think James McDonald has the ability to become an impact starter in Los Angeles and was just named as the Dodgers 5th starter.

Also, I'm sure he doesn't really count as a prospect but I think '09 is the year for the breakout of the best name in the majors...Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

What makes you think this? Every scouting report on him there was, was nothing but complete lies and fabrication. Some reports said he threw a live fastball in the mid 90s, while he threw a dead straight fastball in the high 80s sometimes touching 91. Without pinpoint control, which he doesn't have, he will get torched in the majors. Not only that, but he doesn't even possess the stuff that he could make it as a RP.

What makes you think this? Every scouting report on him there was, was nothing but complete lies and fabrication. Some reports said he threw a live fastball in the mid 90s, while he threw a dead straight fastball in the high 80s sometimes touching 91. Without pinpoint control, which he doesn't have, he will get torched in the majors. Not only that, but he doesn't even possess the stuff that he could make it as a RP.

He's already been torched in the majors in limited appearances last season.

He's already been torched in the majors in limited appearances last season.

That was my point, unless you're just reiterating it.

Gio Gonzalez is certainly an interesting case for a young pitching prospect. To be traded away, and then reacquired nearly a year later. Only to be traded away again just over another year later, something is fishy here.

(By the way, nice trade Phillies. Sent Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd to the ChiSox for Freddy Garcia. Almost as tasty as that Roger Clemens for David Wells, and then David Wells for Mike Sirotka process).

There is little doubt in Gonzalez ability to miss bats. Over the course of 624 IP in the minor leagues, he has totalled a whopping 712 punchouts. I haven't examined his GB and FB percentages, but off the bat it seems to be that control is the obvious roadblock for Gio at this point. Combined with 34 K's in 34 IP in his big league debut last year, he also issued 25 BB. Big league managers hardly have an appetite for pitchers who continuously hand out free passes, so he may be on a short leash, especially if Gonzalez continues to have problems with the longball (9 HR in just 7 starts and 34 IP).

However, this is Oakland and without even Justin Duchscherer in the lineup, the rotation is looking pretty young. Expect Gonzalez to be marched out there every 5th day and show flashes of what has made him such a promising prospect. Just don't start him if he's pitching against the Rangers in Texas!!!

How many pitchers make the jump to the majors without getting knocked around at first? Look what happened to Roy Halladay in '99 and '00. He was sent all the way back down to single A to work on his problems.

How many pitchers make the jump to the majors without getting knocked around at first? Look what happened to Roy Halladay in '99 and '00. He was sent all the way back down to single A to work on his problems.

You're missing my point regarding Gio. His scouting reports were lies and bad information. Scouting reports said he would sit in the low 90s and touch the mid 90s. His average fastball last year was 89 MPH and it was DEAD STRAIGHT. If he doesn't find velocity, or get the fastball to move, he is going to get torched regularly when he doesn't really have a good 3rd pitch (average change at best) and his curve ball really isn't a + pitch right now. If he could get a hold of it and control it on a daily basis, it could become one. Until then, hitters are just gonna sit and wait all day and knock him all over the place.

I take it you prefer Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson in Oakland.

I also expect Gonzalez to have starts where he gets absolutely pummeled, but that happens to a lot of pitchers. You're point about the dead straight fastball worries me more than the MPH, as big league hitters can take a 100 MPH dead straight fastball yard pretty easily as well.

Depending on your league, I think Gonzalez is a good buy low candidate, as he should be in the rotation all season long and will be a solid source of K's as long as you spot start him accordingly.

Well if we're looking at guys that can make an impact this year - I think that definitely includes Beckham. He's not projected to spend the whole year in the minors and is likely to get the call at some point. And especially given his likely SS/2B eligibility, he could potentially help a lot of teams. I have no problem putting him in the "top 5" actually.

I tend to agree with you that Elvis will be better IRL than fantasy - especially this year. But in that lineup, and also considering his speed and position, he could make a fantasy impact. Worth considering at least, especially in deeper leagues...probably not "top 5" though...

And I think you can include Snider for consideration. Price spent last year in the bigs and he was mentioned by the OP. So have a lot of other "rookies" mentioned in this thread...

Well if we're looking at guys that can make an impact this year - I think that definitely includes Beckham. He's not projected to spend the whole year in the minors and is likely to get the call at some point.

Considering Beckham has played in just 14 minor league games, all of which were in Single-A, I think it's safe to completely cross Beckham off the list of potential impact rookies for 2009.

Another gauge I use to see how close players are to the majors is the prospects section of MLB.com's Fantasy Baseball Preview. Beckham is nowhere to be found in the Top 100 prospects.

Considering Beckham has played in just 14 minor league games, all of which were in Single-A, I think it's safe to completely cross Beckham off the list of potential impact rookies for 2009.

Another gauge I use to see how close players are to the majors is the prospects section of MLB.com's Fantasy Baseball Preview. Beckham is nowhere to be found in the Top 100 prospects.

That list is horrible

EDIT: Here is a link to some of the previous chat about that list

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1115390

Neither is Trevor Cahill.

Reiteration and a sad attempt at humor. :-) I know he was shelled because I dealt with his starts in my keeper league last year.

Reiteration and a sad attempt at humor. :-) I know he was shelled because I dealt with his starts in my keeper league last year.

Ahhh, ok. That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. I streamed him in some leagues too last year B) I'm just happy I didn't have anything invested in him MiLB roster wise in any of my keeper/dynasty leagues.

no love for mr. porcello it seems.

after todays start theres even a chance the kid cracks the rotation for opening day. if not, which is what i assume, he's bound to come up at some point. he's better already than what they have and if they want to win some games this year they should think about bringing him up for a stint. he's obviously still a baby but i have a pretty good feeling he'll be up for a decent amount of time this year. maybe something like 7-10 starts at worst imo

um i happen to think that all it will take for beckham to be AL ROY is for him to beat wieters up to the majors, which could happen when chris getz hurts himself or after dwayne wise gives them a month of .220/.300/.380

will rise from the minors this year to take fantasy baseball by storm?

We all know of david price and tommy hanson, but are there any darkhorses out there?

will rise from the minors this year to take fantasy baseball by storm?

We all know of david price and tommy hanson, but are there any darkhorses out there?

I like Brett Cecil

Wouldn't call him a darkhorse, but some people may not be familiar with Derek Holland (SP-TEX), lefty with a great fastball, an advanced change, he will also begin at AAA and is already 22-yrs old, so I can see him making an impact later this year.

The Pirates suck so bad I will be watching Pedro Alverez's blitzkrieg on the minors very closely.